RIBI Security Employee Review

View all RIBI Security reviews

A mismanaged mess of a company
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  RIOctober 9, 2013
This company is the most mismanaged company I personally have ever worked for. The company is at best a temporary job with little-to-no growth opportunity and because of this I personally have left RIBI for better opportunities.

RIBI started out as a private investigation firm in 1946, but was bought in 1980 by the Lupowitz family which still owns the company today. Today they primarily provide security guard services. The company is run by eight upper level managers in the office and a "field manager" out in the field. They are where the blame lies for this company not succeeding like they should.

In my experience the managers in the office do not have a clue on what goes on in the field. I would get called to the office (and not get paid) to explain problems that I noted in my reports months ago that were long since fixed. Their offices were clean with very little work being done other than smoking cigars. The middle managers did all the work like scheduling and visiting sites. The upper managers drove expensive cars and wore expensive suits but seemed like deadweight when talking with them. They were quick to praise any work being done and I always felt patronized by them.

My gripes with this company are that they charge guards for many services in which no company would dare to charge--such as paying 70 cents a week for direct-deposit, charging postage to mail your paycheck or schedule (otherwise you have to go pick it up at the office because they don't send them to all sites,) charging a weekly amount for uniforms with a cap at 200 dollars which is refundable
  more... at their discretion at termination. RIBI counts on you to get your pants tailored with a 5 dollar per article reimbursement (where can I get my pants tailored for 5 dollars?) They offer a "medical-discount plan" that costs too much and doesn't deliver like a true health insurance would. It costs money to work for RIBI. They don't provide a belt or shoes/boots either for the required uniform. It is not uncommon to see RIBI security guards with off colored sneakers and baggy ill fitting uniforms because they cant go out and buy new shoes or pay to get the pants tailored. RIBI has a reputation for their guards looking sloppy in the local security industry and there are other reasons for this; RIBI will hire anyone with a clean background and a pulse.

When you apply, be prepared to interview on the spot, if you don't completely dress like a crazy person, you will get a job. In the office waiting room there is a huge sign that says "Don't apply if" and gives a number of reasons. This sign exemplifies the high turnover reputation this company has--they are always hiring. The company has very low standards for the security industry. Orientation is not paid and that is because they would lose money with the extremely high turnover rate. In my orientation class there was a man who couldn't read at a third-grade level and needed help filling out his W-2 and other forms. One person after 20 minutes of waiting for someone to begin orientation just stood up and walked out.

This company is disorganized and there is a severe disconnect between upper management and the guards below them. I cannot state which account or position I held but my workday went like this:

-Show up to work and relieve the guard on duty...
-Stand/sit in one place for 8 hours with no break...
-Get relieved by next guard on duty (unless he quit or called out)

There was little reason to believe that this was a difficult job except that it was in a bad part of town and people are quick to give you a hard time.

RIBI pays below industry average. The pay was just above minimum wage and the pay is bad even for a security company. The highest pay a guard could achieve is around 11 dollars an hour, and the guards making that were on high-profile accounts. The rest were at parking lots, high-rises, factories and others.

To clients, I offer this warning when shopping for a security company.
RIBI company is very "management first" and not client first. The company will tell potential clients anything they want to hear when bidding on a contract, but when you hire RIBI they are in charge, not the client.

In closing I would say that working for RIBI was a learning experience. Compared to previous security companies I had worked for they were definitely the worst but I would say that I learned to look into companies that I apply to and I wrote this review to warn others. I met some great people who were just there for the paycheck and were happy to have any kind of job in the RI economy, and I met some of the most useless managers. If you are looking for a steady (albeit low) paycheck, apply to RIBI, but go in with the information in this review in mind.
Pros
Easy to get hired, steady paycheck
Cons
Everything else, read review

Other RIBI Security Employee Reviews

bad
Security Officer (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTAugust 23, 2019
Every area inclusive of RI was not professional
a woman in CT called me and explained more than office
very disorganized other than VP betty
no one cared about pay
people never called back
terrible company
Pros
Cons
ct
Do not work for RIBI !
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Trumbull, CTAugust 13, 2019
Lack of communication from the whole company. They are very unorganized & only use you. DO NOT APPLY FOR THIS DEAD END JOB. In the beginning they say “we are family” but none of that is true. They treat their employees poorly.