Rice University Employee Reviews

Best Place To Work
Administrative Coordinator / Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 14, 2019
Rice University is a wonderful place to work and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a position. The culture on campus is one of inclusion and growth.
Pros
Beautiful Campus, close to rail and bus systems, Diverse campus
Cons
I'm sure there are however, I did not experience any to mention.
Great place to learn and research.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 2, 2019
Rice University is a top US institute. I thoroughly enjoyed all of my time as a researcher. The level of education is second to none. Highly recommend.
Many job opportunities
Research Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 30, 2018
There are great people working there and there are some people that I don't know what they are doing there. The workplace culture is wonderful and diverse.
Pros
Free lunches, tons of activities, nice people around
Poor, unresponsive, self-preserving, corrupt culture.
Lecturer in foreign languages (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 15, 2018
Poor, unresponsive, self-preserving, self-protecting, corrupt culture of management.
Poor, unresponsive, self-preserving, corrupt culture of management.
Fondren Library
Access Services Associate II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 12, 2018
The Library Director is narcissistic and unimaginative. The Department Manager of Fondren Library is manipulative, egotistical and manic. Most staff, faculty & students are easily impressionable and fear of being ostracized by the institution; and will go to ANY length to maintain affiliation.
Has potential but management has an "elite" attitude and many outdated systems for such a world class academic institution
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 9, 2018
If your part of the elite management, your pay and benefits are amazing. If your part of the working people, your second class. And they treat you accordingly. Our way or the highway, and they'll tell you that right to you face, if you don't like it, go somewhere else. Academics are world class, but the computer systems are comparable to a commodore 64.
Benefits
Cons
Elitist attitudes from management
Just a TA
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 31, 2018
I was just a TA for five months through my university. I don't have much to say. Nice campus. Nice people. Check map and parking before you go. Cheap bar on campus.
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 19, 2018
Rice University locates at Houston. It is a very good place to work with, because of its culture rich community and high reputation in science and technology.
Good internship
Internship in Engineering Design (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 21, 2018
My internship was very similar to a class I took, so I knew what to expect. We were each assigned a different design project which we were tasked to complete by the end of the summer. Mainly dealt with mechanical solutions to different problems around Houston.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Houston TexasSeptember 17, 2018
Nesty company bad Management,wosty place to work, racism people they choose they own people's I can't recommend my friend all my family racism people
Very Unique Culture
Assistant Director of Student Activities (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 10, 2018
The culture of Rice University is very unique. Most of it is built around the college system and tends to be very reactive to upcoming issues rather than pro-active. I really enjoyed my coworkers and some of the work that I got to do, but the prioritization within the university was difficult to deal with.
Work here if you get the chance
Editorial Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 10, 2018
Rice University is tough to review. I only worked in one department and I don't know how it compares to the many others. My experience was very positive. I was given a lot of independence to work freely. I appreciated the confidence my manager had in me to do the work without someone constantly over my shoulder.

Rice really likes to hire their own people, graduates and current employees. I would recommend that, if given a chance to work here, that chance should be taken. The pay may be slightly lacking, but the benefits are incredibly generous and the overall atmosphere encourages learning and growing.

Again, I emphasize this was my experience in one department, but it was a good one.
Pros
Great atmosphere and incredibly generous benefits
Cons
Pay may be slightly lower than other places, but not much and it is more than made up for by atmosphere and benefits
demanding with performance based rewards
Grounds Keeper/Equipment Operator/Crew leader (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 31, 2018
workday is 8 hours with two breaks and a lunch. management care what you do and how you do it. workplace environment is much like a telanovela. hardest part is the heat during the summer. the most enjoyable part is that it is fairly layed back, so long as you complete your jobs people dont bother you so much.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
heat
ok
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Rice University, TXJuly 25, 2018
ok to work
f you live in greater Houston, we probably deliver your electricity. Link your electric meter to see if your power is on or off, manage outage notifications, see your electric usage and more!
Alumni and colleagues were great
Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 25, 2018
Overwhelmingly a positive experience however University leadership seldom communicated and thanked staff on a personal level. Management did not adequately appreciate staff. (favorites)
Research Experience for Undergraduate
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 20, 2018
I had the privilege working with a diverse team led by a great professor. Safety is key to research while working in the lab, plan on reading through scientific journal articles to get a well rounded idea of where you can go in your research.
IT management has become unbearable
Support Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 20, 2018
Coworkers and end-users are wonderful to work with, but the CIO and terrible project management are causing quality management and knowledgeable technicians to leave.
Pros
Beautiful campus, intelligent and interesting people, good salary and benefits
Cons
Short-sighted and unsupportive management has caused many talented people to leave.
Rice is a great Employer
Irrigator (Former Employee) –  GroundsJuly 18, 2018
I had to leave rice dew to poor management but will in no way bad mouth the University as it was a very pleasant work environment.
I would go back asap to a new Grounds MGR
Pros
Great Peers and subordanants, One Manager Had it in for me
Cons
Bad Hire in the grounds mgmt team
an enjoyable work environment
Language Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 15, 2018
I met with students,planned curriculum, and graded papers. I learned to be an effective communicator. It is a multicultural community. The commute was the most difficult part of the job. The best part of the job was the students.
Pros
The students and colleagues
Cons
The commute
Depends on department, university overall great, certain departments are terrible.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 6, 2018
Overall the University is a great place to work, however the departments are what makes the difference. Lack of oversight in some departments is miserable.