Rice University Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
IT management has become unbearable
Support Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 20, 2018
Coworkers and end-users are wonderful to work with, but the CIO and terrible project management are causing quality management and knowledgeable technicians to leave.
Pros
Beautiful campus, intelligent and interesting people, good salary and benefits
Cons
Short-sighted and unsupportive management has caused many talented people to leave.
Rice is a great Employer
Irrigator (Former Employee) –  GroundsJuly 18, 2018
I had to leave rice dew to poor management but will in no way bad mouth the University as it was a very pleasant work environment.
I would go back asap to a new Grounds MGR
Pros
Great Peers and subordanants, One Manager Had it in for me
Cons
Bad Hire in the grounds mgmt team
an enjoyable work environment
Language Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 15, 2018
I met with students,planned curriculum, and graded papers. I learned to be an effective communicator. It is a multicultural community. The commute was the most difficult part of the job. The best part of the job was the students.
Pros
The students and colleagues
Cons
The commute
Depends on department, university overall great, certain departments are terrible.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 6, 2018
Overall the University is a great place to work, however the departments are what makes the difference. Lack of oversight in some departments is miserable.
Typical Education environment
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 6, 2018
Being that Rice University was an educational institution.
The environment was of course a leaning working culture.
Job function was catered to the faculty and students.

The most enjoyable time was providing solution for computer and software applications issues.
Lacking Diversity and Adequate Compensation
Marketing and Events Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 27, 2018
If you're looking for an entry level or senior level position, Rice University is a great place with great time off and retirement planning. You won't take work home or work odd hours if you are on staff, and you'll have most holidays off. If you have children, they can attend Rice or affiliate schools with free or discounted tuition. However, if you are mid-level, the compensation is lacking compared to other Houston or even national institutions. Most mid-level staff receive less than $50,000 yearly, with very little opportunity for advancement within departments.
Pros
Free food, good time off, work-life balance
Cons
Salary, no opportunity for advancement, no diversity within staff
Used to be a great place to work
Staff (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 26, 2018
I've been at Rice a long time and seen the culture change from one of support to one without support. It seems they are trying to change the university into a corporation without paying comparable salaries.

- No advancement path
- No merit pay so no incentive to do more than the least effective person
- Top management doesn't listen or this wouldn't be a continuing issue
- Turnover rates have increased significantly in the last 5-7 years
- No formal training for many job duties.
- New offices are either extremely small or everyone is in a cubicle, even for jobs that require a lot of time on the phone or meeting with others

I've stayed hoping to see a change in the other direction again, but I don't know that it will actually happen unless a lot of the top people leave.
Pros
Beautiful campus, lots of good peers
Cons
If top management is bad, the whole area is bad
I enjoyed working for this company.
Accounts Payable Processor/Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 29, 2018
This was a contract/temporary position that I really enjoyed. THe employees and staff were very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, this was only meant to be a contract position.
awesome place to work at
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 28, 2018
Rice is an extremely diverse and filled up with brilliant student and professors who give research freedom as much as possible. I've been working with my advisor for over 6 years and I enjoyed it a lot. there are many collaborations between different group and different department as well.
Productive and innovative environment.
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 7, 2018
Help young researchers to develop their skills as well as the opportunities to work in different teams and sectors. Overall, it is a great place to be involved with different disciplines.
regarding Rice
Data Management Coordinator - Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 29, 2018
not an easy place to advance. typical management culture. very laid back and tons of flexibility, depending on your dept. doesn't pay very well. must pay for parking in the medical center.
Productive and fun place to work
TEMPORARY STAFF ASSISTANT, HR (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 24, 2018
Very fast work environment. I learned to prioritize my work load. I love the culture of the University and walking on the beautiful campus. Very Good HR management.
Pros
Love the face pace work environment and staying busy
Cons
no benefits and it was temporary
Excellent Perks and Beautiful Campus
Sr. HR Records Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 13, 2018
Rice is centrally located in the heart of Houston's Medical Center and is a beautiful campus. Work is rewarding, culture is great, and everyone is nice and professional.
Great boss, great employees, easy going and fun environment!
Public Affairs Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 10, 2018
Working with public affairs is challenging but fun! We built a float for the LGBT walk and various other engaging activities. Some overtime is involved, but it's pretty worth it.
Cons
Redundant.
Just a TA.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 7, 2018
Just a TA . But I think Rice University is a very good school and I always feel so lucky that I have studied at Rice. Nice people, nice academic, and such a nice school.
Great place to work!
Senior Video Producer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 2, 2018
Rice University has always ranked as one of the top places to work. There are great benefits and the pay is very good as well. I would highly recommend this place if you're able to get work here!
Great school and a fun place to work!
Adjunct Faculty, Undergraduates (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 1, 2018
My time at Rice has been a wonderful experience. I wish the pay were better and there were more chances for advancement. The 5 years I have been teaching undergrads have been life changing and I am truly grateful to have had the experience.
Pros
Lovely campus and students!
Cons
Low pay
Rice U
Earth Science Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 1, 2018
i worked for the earth science department as a staff assistant. I aided the facilities supervisor with day to day tasks and facilitated the faculty and staff with whatever they needed help with.
Relaxed work environment
Licensed Irrigation Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 11, 2017
Relaxed work environment. good benefits. paid holidays. good facility. well maintained grounds. decent equipment. decent management. a good work ethic.
Awesome place to intern
Nanotechnology Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 27, 2017
Interned at Rice University for two summers learned so much through doing research. Also, had many opportunities to grow as an undergraduate through seminars.
Pros
Friday lunches and relaxed work environment