Rice University Culture reviews

Used to be a great place to work
Staff (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 26, 2018
I've been at Rice a long time and seen the culture change from one of support to one without support. It seems they are trying to change the university into a corporation without paying comparable salaries.

- No advancement path
- No merit pay so no incentive to do more than the least effective person
- Top management doesn't listen or this wouldn't be a continuing issue
- Turnover rates have increased significantly in the last 5-7 years
- No formal training for many job duties.
- New offices are either extremely small or everyone is in a cubicle, even for jobs that require a lot of time on the phone or meeting with others

I've stayed hoping to see a change in the other direction again, but I don't know that it will actually happen unless a lot of the top people leave.
Pros
Beautiful campus, lots of good peers
Cons
If top management is bad, the whole area is bad
regarding Rice
Data Management Coordinator - Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 29, 2018
not an easy place to advance. typical management culture. very laid back and tons of flexibility, depending on your dept. doesn't pay very well. must pay for parking in the medical center.
Productive and fun place to work
TEMPORARY STAFF ASSISTANT, HR (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 24, 2018
Very fast work environment. I learned to prioritize my work load. I love the culture of the University and walking on the beautiful campus. Very Good HR management.
Pros
Love the face pace work environment and staying busy
Cons
no benefits and it was temporary
Excellent Perks and Beautiful Campus
Sr. HR Records Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 13, 2018
Rice is centrally located in the heart of Houston's Medical Center and is a beautiful campus. Work is rewarding, culture is great, and everyone is nice and professional.
Great experience
HR Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 6, 2017
This was a great experience for me to work in such a great place. I enjoy the opportunities for growth that this place offered me. I enjoy learning and been able to take classes there too.
Pros
Great perks, lovely place.
Video Producer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 6, 2017
Rice creates an atmosphere of intelligence, hard work and co-workers are smart, driven and easy to get along with. The most enjoyable part of the job is thriving in a university atmosphere.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Marketing Intern
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 20, 2017
Interning at Rice University provided an in-depth look of how collegiate sports marketing works. Having worked a full school year (starting in the fall and ending in the spring), I learned how football games, basketball and baseball games operate from a marketing stand point. You pick up right off the bat that each event is scripted and reads like a play, because in sports marketing you've got to be prepared and on your toes. Management was very good, especially for helping new interns adapt to the workplace. The culture was very friendly, and if you're a hard worker and looking to enjoy yourself while doing it then you should have no problem fitting in. If you're a sports fan, arguably the most enjoyable part of the job will be being able to watch college sports in between tasks.
Work hard, publish, and you will be able to accomplish anything.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 15, 2017
Graduate school is not for everyone, but if you invest the time required to master the scientific material as well as time required to make discoveries in the lab you will succeed.
Pros
Graduate student association is excellent at providing get-togethers, nice way to get out of the lab for a while to relax and socialize
Cons
Interdepartmental politics interferes with university progress
Busy demanding environment
Support Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 25, 2017
Not enough IT staff to cover each other when on is out on leave. The staff are getting stressed out as not having the right equipment to perform the job
Very flexible work hours. Accommodating if you're in school.
Assistant to Senior Operations Manager/ Cook1 (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 14, 2017
If you're willing to learn more and expand yourself you will be trained in more areas. Teamwork, is very important. Communication with your boss and fellow coworkers will lead to productive days.
Pros
Free lunch
Great university and wonderful students to teach!
Teacher/Adjunct (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 7, 2017
I have absolutely love teaching at Rice University. It's very rewarding to be a part of the team. The students are engaged and put a lot of effort into the courses.
Pros
the students and culture
Cons
a bit low on the compensation payscale
A good place to work
Salad Chef (Former Employee) –  HoustonFebruary 12, 2017
I'm was looking for a school to work and I got much more I a family and a learning environment and a understanding group of people that was wiling to teach me
Acheiving Goals at work
Project Coordinator - Office of Technology (Former Employee) –  Houston Zoo, TXJune 10, 2016
I like to start the day off by letting the team know or finding out for myself what are the priorities of the day. We generally work together to accomplish goals. I am a leader, yet, I also know how to join the team and work together.
Pros
Free Breakfast and lunch
Cons
short breaks
The Right Management
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 17, 2015
With the right management, this is a great place to work. Some departments are more professional than others. When you find a great fit, it makes you want to stay for the long haul.
Pros
Free stuff, open and friendly campus, tight knit community
Cons
certain management
Productive and comfortable campus
Graduate Student (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 28, 2015
The faculty and staff there are very nice. We all enjoy the working and studying atmosphere there. The life is easy and we do not have too much pressure.
Great but not as good as everybody like to say all the time
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 2, 2015
As faculty/researcher it is a fantastic place to work because of the unique combination of quality and small size. This latter makes it easier to deal with the painful admistrative overhead that accompanies research (note that the actual overhead costs on grants are not as high as in many other places, but they still hurt).
Students are great, atmosphere is great, facilities are great, and I will add that Houston is great.

More than a "con" is an observation about what I felt is a mismatch between the talking and the "walking" for what concerns collegiality, loosely defined (probably the most used/abused word in every meeting/gathering/report). Everybody is quick and happy to fill his/her mouth with big self-congratulatory statements about collegiality, but in my experience the collegiality stops there.
It does not run very deep. That's been my experience. There is not a true spirit of being a "community", instead of just a cohabitation of researchers under the same roof. Dept. events (social, but also colloquia) tend to be poorly attended for instance, which I would consider a pretty genuine clue that people don't care that much about the rest or their department (and not just the divas).

Improvements have happened over time, slowly, but there is still a lot of room for improvement on faculty/instructors/postdoc mentoring. The older generation's faculty often seem to see it as a sign of weakness and there isn't yet a "culture" of the importance of mentoring and appreciation of its positive impact not just on mentees but on mentors themselves.
Nice, well run university
Post-doctoral research associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 11, 2015
Rice was a pleasure to work for. The benefits and compensation are nice (for a post-doctoral position), and the staff in the Physics department were helpful and responsive.
Great place to work!
DEPARTMENT COORDINATOR FACILITIES (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 9, 2015
Loved my job in facilities and the group I was a blast to work for. Always busy, management is relaxed but their expectations are high. I learned a great deal about contracts and procurement.
Pros
A great learning experience
Cons
Departmental Funding
Cashier
Cashier/ Kitchen (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 16, 2014
Work well with the public
Provide assistance to staff and students with their daily lunch and dinner menu.
Great Place to work
Educational Systems Developer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 2, 2014
An amazing place to meet some of the smartest people on the globe.
Great work life balance
Pros
work life balance