Richard Bland College Employee Reviews

staff & faculty informative and helpful to students.
Food Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAOctober 16, 2018
Fast pace, cultural foods, diversity, working short staff, knowing all the students from different countries, special events from the general public, Student special events, cook out etc.
Learning Experience with many opportunities to advance.
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAOctober 15, 2018
Going into Richard Bland College of William and Mary gave me an understanding of how life is all about decisions. Making one decision opens the door towards the next possible outcome(s).
Super relaxed and comfortable
Staff member (Former Employee) –  Grounds Department BuildingMarch 6, 2018
I was humbled and I appreciated the people and the experience.

A typical day was going around collecting recycling, harvesting pecans, cleaning a series of buildings in a specific order, watering plans and various random tasks coordinated by our amazing supervisor.

Management did fairly well, there wasn't any issues between them and I. My application process went fairly well and quick.

The work place environment was a serious, calm, friendly and ridiculously relaxed environment.

The hardest part of the job was getting to work on time and attempting to understand the the emotions of introverted co-workers dealing with personal issues, while maintaining a sort of wise patience.

The best part of the job was the middle of the day when I got to see my friends during my lunch break. I got to grab food and ride around in the golf cart I drove, go somewhere quiet and enjoy my meal, go back to the grounds building and converse with my co-workers and then go back to working efficiently with a relaxed mindset and no real noticeable pressure.
Pros
Relaxed enviorment
Cons
Limited amount of time available to work
Loved My Work
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMarch 3, 2018
My job was to keep my main building Student Affairs Clean, attend to staff in my building. Sometime had to go to other buildings to help out , when short of help . The Staff was very friendly more like family,very enjoyableplace to work.
Pros
free activies, always included in any activies that was had at college.
Great place to work while attending school
Student Tutor (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VASeptember 11, 2017
Worked as a student tutor for the math and chemistry departments. Pay was minimum wage but the job was easy enough. Helped any students that showed up with any problems they had.
Racist
General Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJuly 19, 2017
Wages based on your race not experience or abilities. Inadequate management. No policies or procedures, no SOPs, no financial integrity. I would not recommend Richard Bland College to anyone.
Hostile work environment
Administration (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJuly 9, 2017
The administration is completely incompetent. They rule by fear and you are subject to be realigned at any moment. Each year several departments are realigned. There has been a total of 5 or 6 HR directors since 2013. If you are not in 100% agreance of the president or Athletic Director they find away to realign your position. The athletic department is a joke. If you'd like to be part of a staff that is completely segregated from the rest of campus and is not viewed in high regard by faculty then this is the place for you. High turnover rate for all sports with the exception of basketball since the Athletic Director is also the head basketball coach. Many view rbc as a hostile work environment and decide to leave because of the undue stress one incounters on a regular basis.
Pros
The old RBC
Cons
Salary is not competitive, work environment, and the total disregard of state and federal laws
Upheaval - repetitive turn over of employees
Computer Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJune 6, 2017
There was a complete restructuring of the institution due to new dictates from the Board of Visitors to the new college President. All State Colleges are losing the bulk of their state funding. State colleges now have to raise their own money to remain solvent. This restructuring was a response to that necessity.
Student work
Worker (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAApril 11, 2017
It is an okay place to work. The hardest part is the working with some of the different departments. The enjoyable part is the people who work there. I have learned that I have to figure out the right fit.
Awful Place
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMarch 17, 2017
You never know when you might get fired. The president is a lunatic and there is a culture of fear and intimidation. Working there was the worst mistake of my life.
Fun place to work
Event Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAMarch 14, 2017
Everyone at Richard Bland College is really nice and cool to wok with. It is an easy going job and varies from day to day. It is a lot of hands on work that gets done within a couple of hours.
up and coming
Procurement Manager (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJanuary 13, 2016
I enjoy working here and have the opportunity to learn new things and be trained and certified in another career field.
The finance dept is very new and we are working to catch up and make processes better
Horrible place to work.
administration (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJanuary 1, 2016
You never know if the day you come in to work will be your last day. 75 people have left in the last four years because of their environment. They escort employees off campus when they let them go. They don't value the good employees they have!
Pros
The old RBC
Cons
Management, values, morals and ethics
Good Place to work
Gym Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Petersburg, VAFebruary 20, 2014
While attending RBC I was hired to work in the gym as a Gym Supervisor. On the days that I work It was pretty easy. While I was working I was allowed to do my homework as long as I did my job.
Very fun place to work
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJanuary 7, 2014
General Assistant for the Director of Student Activities
General office duties to include faxing documents, filing, plan
College Events.
Assist with College Open Houses.
Orientation Advisor
Pros
flexible schedules if and when need
Rbc
Residence Assistant (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAAugust 27, 2012
RBC was one of my favorite places of employment. I learned a lot there and was able to work closely with those working in admission, and have developed great professional relationships while I was employed there.