Richmond Public Schools

Richmond Public Schools Employee Reviews

I've worked in RPS for a total of 7yrs. Two different job titles. My personal opinion jobs are a little underpaid. You make decent money but thats just to barely make it living in a city that the cost of living is going up but your pay isn't. Example. I have a little money left after paying rent, and some bills, but i cant afford healthcare because its expensive through the job. If i did have healthcare i wouldn't have money for anything else. So you may want to have some kind of other income coming in. I love my job as an officer once a bus driver lol. I get to interact with the kids and show everybody in a badge is not here to hurt you. It also helps me be a counselor to a kid that may not have someone to talk to. I also share my other skills with kids to encourage them you can do whatever you set your mind to. Only cons i may have is The pay could be better, and some of the managers could adjust there attitudes. Some take their role to the extreme and it makes your work atmosphere negative for that day or days.
Pros
Interacting with the kids, Work Schedule, Co-Workers, Site
Cons
Pay, Some Of the Supervisors
It was decent got bored of it now it was fun til the pandemic hit now I want to do more the money was it but I need more and to be honest it’s a great starter job for someone or a good job for older folks to settle down and get ready for retirement
Great work atmosphere! I have gotten the chance to work with a diverse group of students with all sorts of speech and language needs. Supportive staff members at my school.
They fire people during a pandemic. They are unfair and don’t get to know people didn’t make adjustments during pandemic for performance reviews theysuck
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
If you love working with kids, and enjoy the education field, then this is a career you will appreciate. Staff are friendly as well as administrators. Kids are always a joy to be around. Never a dull day!
Pros
Work schedules
Cons
Pay
Leave a review. Help people like you.
The benefits and flexibility of the job are excellent. The pay is competitive with other similar jobs within the school systems. Leadership and management are lacking.
Benefits
Cons
I love working for Richmond City Public Schools and would recommend working for the system. The staff and students are amazing and make work fun and meaningful.
This district simply does not care about the students nor teachers, especially in the east end. There is so much dishonesty and betrayal in this environment. This place literally started to affect my health by causing me to have severe migraines daily. My school had roaches and rats!!
Pros
The pay in comparison to other nearby districts
Cons
There are way too many to list
It's the worst place to work adults will try to do everything in there power to make you look like a fool they are rude and disrespectful they only care about themselves
Pros
The kids
Cons
The supervisor are the worst nasty people
Great work life balance. clear direction in work. most equipment easy to work with. very political within. Lots of changes by the week. Potentially can be a long term career.
Pros
staff and faculty freindly
Cons
reactive. Needs more employees and budget
I was an instructional assistant for three years at a campus on the west end of Richmond. I LOVED my job, my school's location, and it was generally pleasant to work with the staff. I personally loved the management at the campus. School days are from 830-330pm in general, with opportunity to participate in before or after school programs. In general, the classrooms were well managed and allowed for many activities and exploration. I enjoyed the curriculum and my role as assisting in lessons, testing, and special education services. The ONLY downside: very little pay. EVEN if you have a 4-yr degree. Basically, if you want to be an assistant, make sure you have a side job. It is a great way to get your foot in the door if you're working on getting certified to teach. But not as a long term career.
Pros
Health Benefits, location, work hours, work load, management, work environment (depends on location), stability, great culture
Cons
Low pay
All jobs will have aspects of it that employees will find unappealing. This is no different for RPS. There are times I feel things could be so much better, but then I remember that the way to make things better has to start with me. I enjoy working with RPS because of the children. Yes, there are those children who test your patience, but then you realize that majority of the time the child is yearning for attention and love. It is because of them I am always ready to start a new day. If your passion is for the nurturing and development of children physically, socially, emotionally, and academically then RPS is the place for you. It's all about the children.
Pros
Lovely children
Cons
Sometimes unorganized
Great company to work for, and if you like working independently it would be a great job for you. And you get every Holiday Off. It is not much room for advancement. If you enjoy working with kids it is the right job for you.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No room for growth
A typical work day for me begins at 7:15 AM and does not end until 6:00 PM. I am the FACS teacher and cheer coach. My Job is real rewarding and amazing.
Mixed up in all departments like no one knows what to do. I ve been told to do one thing then they apologize and say it has to be done another way which prolong things.
Pros
They do get around to the fact
Cons
All they have to do and how long it takes to get to the fact.
There’s alot that can/needs improvement especially on the administrative level. Everyone uses the teachers as scapegoats for all of the issues that take place.
Good students who really and truly want to learn what I teach. I wish every school had a certain amount of instrumentation with a repair budget to assist with the teacher.
Pros
Excellent students
Cons
No money for supplies
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with children. You were given independence and allowed to make decisions based on knowledge and previous experience. You were given the time necessary to complete tasks. The hardest part of the job was seeing children who had been neglected at home or bullied at school.
I have the diplomas necessary to earn the required 180 points for licensure. The problem lies with the School Board of Education, because all of my proof is online. I have to buy my diplomas, which I don't mind doing, but I don't have the money yet to do so. Richmond City schools has to suffer as a result. I need an advocate.
Entirely too political. Lack compassion for staff and children. Staff and children are treated as if they are of little value. Teachers are under appreciated.
It’s a good job if you have kids and need to work around there schedule but the pay is not good it only helps you get by as well as no benefits at all you can work 10+ yrs without a contract or without becoming a manager