Richmond Public Schools
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Richmond Public Schools Employee Reviews

United States262 reviews
The pleasure of working with students who are eager to learn.
A typical work day for me begins at 7:15 AM and does not end until 6:00 PM. I am the FACS teacher and cheer coach. My Job is real rewarding and amazing.
Human Resource
Mixed up in all departments like no one knows what to do. I ve been told to do one thing then they apologize and say it has to be done another way which prolong things.
Pros
They do get around to the fact
Cons
All they have to do and how long it takes to get to the fact.
It can be better...
There’s alot that can/needs improvement especially on the administrative level. Everyone uses the teachers as scapegoats for all of the issues that take place.
Awesome students!
Good students who really and truly want to learn what I teach. I wish every school had a certain amount of instrumentation with a repair budget to assist with the teacher.
Pros
Excellent students
Cons
No money for supplies
Productive and friendly work environment
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with children. You were given independence and allowed to make decisions based on knowledge
and previous experience. You were given the time necessary to complete tasks.

The hardest part of the job was seeing children who had been neglected at home or bullied at school.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
The students, especially those struggling with literacy.
I have the diplomas necessary to earn the required 180 points for licensure. The problem lies with the School Board of Education, because all of my proof is online. I have to buy my diplomas, which I don't mind doing, but I don't have the money yet to do so. Richmond City schools has to suffer as a result. I need an advocate.
Not very open minded
Entirely too political. Lack compassion for staff and children. Staff and children are treated as if they are of little value. Teachers are under appreciated.
Ok job for now
It’s a good job if you have kids and need to work around there schedule but the pay is not good it only helps you get by as well as no benefits at all you can work 10+ yrs without a contract or without becoming a manager
Does not pay enough for job expected
Since IA's do the same job as teachers they are not paid enough money not saying that they do extensive paper work like a teacher does but they do quite a bit including teach in a teacher's absence. They are asked most times to do jobs that either teachers don't want to do or don't feel like doing. I feel like IA's are worthy of more money than they are paid making them feel underminded and unappreciated.
Rps
RPS has knowledgeable administrators.
Team work is encouraged.

The school system provided research based trainings.

Staff members within the school are supportive.
feels like family
Its feels like your at home family time everybody has there own way of doing things nut yhe job gets done and we all respect one another,at the end of the day.
RPS is home to intelligent and deserving students.
Students in the Richmond Public School System deserve high quality education from highly trained professionals. Richmond Public School's students are capable of great things!
Very rewarding doing wonderful work
The District is a wonderful place to work. The staff is a nice group of people, caring and kind. I recommend anyone with interested to apply. I have been content here. Just looking for a part time job to help with my income I am a sub and have slow periods,a regular part time position will balance me out. Thank you!
Job culture needs improvement
I would not work for Richmond Public Schools again. Many of the teachers and students don't feel supported. The administrators do not provide support to teachers.
An alert and constantly changing environment.
Those with a high stress tolerance succeeded well in this career; however, many of the kids are very disrespectful. I feel as if the pay is not enough to cover the stress and the amount of times I might've lost my voice.
Educational and fun place to work.
Job can be stressful at times when dealing with the students and the staff. There seems to be too much work at times also. I love my administrator she is very humbled.
Co worker don’t pull their share of work load.
Great work environment but some co worker make your day hard and long because they sit and watch you watch when they should be promoting team work help make the day smooth for you, the students and co workers
Richmond County Public Schools Review
It's a great job for younger adults, need to be able to deal with very stressful issues day after day. Have a calling to deal with today's youth and their families. It is a very rewarding career.
Wonderful Place to be
Very friendly and welcoming department.
Supportive management and great communication.

Workload is decent and there is great work/life balance.

No better place to be!
If you like teaching, this is the place for you
I enjoy working for RPS. Each building is different, but the bottom line is that you are there for the children. There is opportunity to move up if you are qualified.
Had I known what I know now........!!
i worked at a specialty school with a cut throat Principal who would do any and everything possible to destroy you if he did not like you. He also would give you more work than you could handle and write you up if you did not keep up. He would lie for certain employees as well as give them ridiculous amount of time off which was coded as (Field Trip). He also encouraged students, parents, or staff to send him comments to further his desire to try to terminate you but not give you the opportunity to defend yourself. He would hire individuals as favors to friends whether or not they were qualified for the position. And then he would push that individual up the ranks bypassing someone that has been there for years. He creates a hostile environment by turning coworkers against each other. He talked about other employees on a regular. He allowed favor employees to come late, leave early or not come at all. Unfortunately, corporate and the school's lawyers protects the Principals regardless. It is sad when one Principal can make or break you!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Richmond Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.1
InHerSight Score
2.0Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
1.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight