Richmond Public Schools Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Starting point
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 10, 2018
I started working with Richmond Public Schools as a Tutor, then became a Substitute Teacher, a full time teacher and back to a substitute teacher. The experience overall was rewarding when I saw the children grasp a concept and begin to prove their understanding of it.
Great Workplace
Physical Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 7, 2018
I’ve been a teachers for 12 years and I enjoy working with the youth. Teaching elementary school children physical education is a joy. It keeps me busy and it’s a true fulfillment.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No cons
The System
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 22, 2018
Richmond Public Schools is not a bad place to work if you have a good administrative team in your school who is intelligent, creative, collaborative, and above all, fair.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Free Lunch
Cashier/service
Cashier - Food Service in Cafeteria (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 18, 2018
Not enough money or hours no benefite time off or sick days or vacation disrespectful supervisor not enough time to clean up in the kithen.I am a hard work I love being on time
Enjoyable work environment
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 16, 2018
I enjoy working as a substitute teacher. I enjoy working with children. I really enjoyed the internet sign up system which allowed me to choose which schools and subjects I would work. It was only a temporary position until I found permanent employment.
Pros
help offered by administration and other teachers
Cons
some of the children had a very bad attitude toward school
good
Labor Trades Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 8, 2018
I enjoyed working for the school system it was like being with family all the time. The kids were the best part of my day. I learned how to be a good crew chief.
Pros
kids
Cons
hours
Great place to start your career
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 7, 2018
Great place to start your career. Please take all of the necessary classes that is needed for self- advancement. Keep record of your portfolio to present when it is time for review.
Pros
It is good to have a job.
Cons
Instructional Assistants pay is too low.
rewarding at times
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 4, 2018
The job is one that you have to have a lot of patients with the students. The paperwork can be overwhelming at times. The staff is understanding because that face the same situation.
Pros
watching students grow
Cons
stressful with not enough resources
Great and rewarding job
ENGLISH DEPT CO-CHAIR AND 8TH GRADE ENGLISH (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 4, 2018
Richmond Public Schools is a great place! I love my school and my students. I am so happy to have found a new home in RPS! I find the challenges rewarding.
Great Starter Job
Attendance Specialist (Data Analyst/Dispatcher) (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 29, 2018
Not the worst place to work. RPS does not work hard to keep its young talented workers. Not very well paying for most jobs. Good Autonomy for some jobs .
When its a passion, its not work
Exceptional Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 24, 2018
My work environment can be very stressful and ever-chaning; however, enhancing the lives of inner-city children and youth does not come with a manual. I take each day in stride, and view work as a "glass half full" experience.
Pros
Relationships with students/staff, positive impact, benefits, hours
Cons
Funding, Consistency, Leadership
Politics
Property / Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 15, 2018
Too many politics, had to know the right people for advancement. Management was not good and had people who were not good managers. Yearly contracts were how employment worked, but contracts were never guaranteed.
food service
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 11, 2018
feeding high school kids, challenging, very busy and fast paced food prepping team playing you have to work together in order for the day to go smoothly breakfast n lunch
Pros
time was good
Cons
busy
Very cultured and variety of learning
Summer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 9, 2018
Great place for up and coming teachers or learners. It is a good place to start off a teaching or tutoring career. The one thing I did enjoy were the kids were always willing to learn and love to express their ideas and opinions.
EXCEPTIONAL EDUCATION TEACHERS ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJApril 25, 2018
Can be enjoyable, salary and benefits could be better needs better management as a whole. I enjoyed the work I did there and would go back just for that reason alone.
Pros
Children
Cons
Pay
Great City but this employer needs to work on its culture
Employee (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 2, 2018
The system could use some improvements as could all systems. They can get a more cohesive board and stop changing the leadership so often. The persons intended to protect get the short end of the stick...children.
Positive outlook
ASSTITANT TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 29, 2018
Recommends

Positive Outlook

I have been working at Richmond Public School part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun and creative environment for kids and adults to learn about art. Owner cares deeply about employees and students. Flexible working arrangements to balance work and home life. Great team of teachers and employees

Cons

None that come to mind

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work on new classes and mediums
Pros
Free parking spring break
Cons
short breaks no health plain
You work for your students
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 20, 2018
The students are truly the reason you clock in everyday because the administration is deplorable. You must constantly go in your own pocket if you want supplies and the bigotry and disrespect is an unfortunate reality. This is NOT the case for the entire district, however, it is a reality where poor leadership resides.
Growth Opportunities
Coordinator for Exceptional Education (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 14, 2018
Very competitive work environment with unique opportunities to grow professionally. Can be challenging at times but very rewarding to help students and teachers to grow.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Hectic experiences that are unique to Richmond.
Very good Job to work For.
Custoridan (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 24, 2018
My day at work was great everybody got along. We worked together as a team to get the job done. Very laid back job the supervisors was great. Everybody could express there concerns if they had one.
Pros
good mamagement
Cons
Kids being out of control at times.