Richmond Public Schools Employee Reviews

A typical day at work can be very strees because you delaing with kids
Substitute Teacher (K-12) (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 1, 2019
This can very stress because the kids are involve and because you dealing with parents who are stress as well. So parents can be very mean and nasty. Kids are very disrespect some times.
Pros
They have some great programs for the kids in questions.
Cons
Short breaks for teacher.
I enjoy working with younger children and interacting. They are inquisitive and can be funny at times.
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 8, 2018
Teaching pre-K was my favorite career decision. I had fun teaching and talking with interacting with the children and the parents. That would be my choice of jobs. Right now, I want to tutor part time I work in the afterschool program. Teaching is fast pace, which being full of energy and an extrovert enjoyed. I was able to get a lot of activities and learning in during the day. In pre-K the children are like sponges, they soak up all you can’t teach them. I taught reading from first grade to fifth grade and I loved that. I especially liked teaching comprehension and grammar. And one more thing I enjoyed was teaching how to write sentences and paragraphs and papers. Good class management is a must. I made sure my children felt safe and cared for and could come to me with any concerns they may have.
Pros
Workdays
Cons
The day was full, so I would stay after work for an hour or so and sometimes take work home.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 19, 2018
I enjoy my time working as a Substitute Teacher or Teacher's Assistant at all schools and would recommend this job to anyone looking for a job with flexibility. The staff at most schools are very pleasant and helpful with work assignments. The work day goes by fast.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
driving distance
Come if you love children
Exceptional Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 18, 2018
If you are committed to helping children, RPS is a great place. We have so many students who desire to learn and should be given the best opportunities. The pay without certification is horrible. With a teaching license, it is bearable, but you can not be compensated for all you do as a teacher, so that's where the love of children is needed. I love seeing my students every day and feel honored to help shape them into lifelong learners. Teaching is a hero profession, only the brave and dedicated should apply. Realize that you will experience negative politics, but keep your focus on the children!
Pros
Opportunity to work with awesome students/ benefits/ work schedule
Cons
Management can be difficult at certain schools
Stressful place to work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 16, 2018
Teachers are constantly forced to test the kids.
It always seems like one is preparing for the next next, e.g., ARDT, Benchmark, SOL, etc.

Discipline is the biggest problem within the school system as a whole. Support is not given to the extent needed with the kids as well as the parents.
Public education facility -- school
Office Associate III (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 6, 2018
Richmond Public Schools is a public organization that promotes family life and is inclusive when considering family members for employment opportunities.

In my current role, I operate more on the administrative level than support. Though I am not authorized to make administrative decisions; I am authorized and obligated to make administrative decisions. Most of my responsibilities are those that would ordinarily be performed by the building administrator, ie. the principal or manager. The only drawback with performing above job expectations is the lack of appropriate compensation. On average, a manager or principal would be paid in the range of $65,000 -85,000 annually. An Office Associate position pays less than half of the minimum salary.
Pros
School closings due to inclement weather
Cons
Expectations not equivalent to compensation.
Daily SOP
Enforce orderly movement (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 5, 2018
Enforce orderly movement within the lunchroom
• Observe students’ conduct and behavior during lunch
• Diffuse adverse situations and conflicts between students
• Guide students about lunchroom protocols that they need to follow
• Report miscreants to school management
• Maintain the cleanliness and safety of lunchrooms
Fun and rewarding
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 3, 2018
Very gratifying and rewarding to work and impact students lives. Currently have an awesome principal but no so much in the past in previous school. School culture is currently awesome as well.
Teachers try to take on so many responsibilities that ensure student growth and development thus creating a positive, engaging, and rewarding atmosphe
Teacher, Teachers and Instructors, All Other (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 4, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is watching the children grow and mature into productive young men and women. Often times a school climate can be compared to a church climate-in that when you have an effective leader your congregation or teachers tend to be productive thus keeping the moral of the work place positive, inviting, and engaging. The hardest part of the job can be trying to fit everything the children need into one day or a particular time slot. There are times when you realize your children need so much and by that I mean emotionally, physically, mentally, and economically that teachers often undertake the problems of the students in order to make their learning process easier and more adaptive to their needs.
Pros
parental involvement
Cons
health care
Fun work place, part time work,
Nutrition Worker (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 3, 2018
I enjoyed working at Rps for a short while. Once I noticed that I couldn't move up within the company it became draining. Working with children can have it's ups and downs. But u really enjoyed working with the students and my manager.
Pros
Off during holidays and weekends, incliment weather
Cons
No paid vacation, no over time, no advancement, no benefits
I had a very good experience working for RPS
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 15, 2018
I had a very good experience working for RPS. I taught World Geography. This class covered Longitude Latitude of different Countries. Regional Geography is the breakdown of specific regions, areas. It covers Physical characteristics and Human characteristics. Location, Place, Human environment interaction, Movement and Regions were covered. On an average day I started out with homeroom. I taught a ninth grade Geography class, another ninth grade Geography class. I had a planning period, Then another ninth grade Geography class. My lunch was the next. My last two classes were Geography classes also..
I learned a great deal about Virginia's Regions, physical characteristics and human characteristics. I learned about the southern culture of Richmond Va. The workplace culture was the most kind and understanding environment I had ever experienced. This was the most enjoyable part of the job. The management was also good because students listened to their teachers and administration leaders. The hardest part of the job was the end of the school year trying to keep students focused. Working for RPS will always be a memorable experience.
Pros
Administration listened to their Teachers.
Cons
Not enough time to eat your lunch.
RPS is where you can help students stay on the right track of life.
Office Associate/Front Office (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 13, 2018
From 8:00 until 9:30 a.m. it is busy. The children must be in school no later then 8:30. Passed that time the students are considered late. You must have them to fill out late passes and be directed to there class. Parents will come in early to pick up student for appointments that they may have later on that day. The telephones must be answered. The workplace culture is just what it is all people from everywhere. Management could be a lot more organized and considered.
Pros
Caring for the students and parents needs
Cons
Students should be more understanding why there parents send them to school.
School
Central Kitchen (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INSeptember 4, 2018
Working for the High School was okay, I just wasn't happy with the staff and work situations I was faced with. After going to management with my concerns I felt it best to resign my position and seek employment elsewhere.
A day
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 3, 2018
Welcoming, knowledgeable, and friendly. The staff was very supportive. The students were well behaved and did what was needed for class. I enjoy seeing the different schools.
Productive workplace
educational training
management helpful
lunch breaks
home envirnoment
Pros
holidays off
Cons
cross training
Rps
Community Partnerships Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 17, 2018
RPS is a great place filled with many dedicated employees passionate about k-12 education and the students they serve. The constant leadership transitions and structure of the system (elected school board, lack of staggered terms) make it difficult to gain traction to improve the system.
great productive place
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 14, 2018
Enjoyed working along with the teachers and students with various projects. Everyday it was something different so you never had the chance to be bored.
Noted that the extreme nature of the job was fraught with certain instances where one is challenged by the students on a daily basis.
Safety and Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 29, 2018
Busy days five days a week with no day being the same as the next. There were however instances where boredom could set in as there were lulls intermixed with the "action" at the High School where this prospective applicant was employed. One has to be strong willed and cognizant of the fact that one is working with some students who do not respect rules and persons in authority. Officers were sanctioned with performing book bag checks and searches if necessary utilizing a metal detector wand and an electro-metal detector. Safety posts were assigned, and there was also roving security duties. Officers were instructed to curb violence, report security breaches, and report any inconsistencies of student code of conduct as provided by Richmond Public School standards.
Pros
comraderies/idea exchanges
Cons
Supervisors who are set in the old ways of thinking-"in the box"
Beginning of my career
Summer School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 16, 2018
Began my career in Richmond as a teacher and became acclimated to culture and climate while building relationships with students and teachers of the community.
Starting point
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 10, 2018
I started working with Richmond Public Schools as a Tutor, then became a Substitute Teacher, a full time teacher and back to a substitute teacher. The experience overall was rewarding when I saw the children grasp a concept and begin to prove their understanding of it.