Richmond Public Schools Employee Reviews

RPS is where you can help students stay on the right track of life.
Office Associate/Front Office (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 13, 2018
From 8:00 until 9:30 a.m. it is busy. The children must be in school no later then 8:30. Passed that time the students are considered late. You must have them to fill out late passes and be directed to there class. Parents will come in early to pick up student for appointments that they may have later on that day. The telephones must be answered. The workplace culture is just what it is all people from everywhere. Management could be a lot more organized and considered.
Pros
Caring for the students and parents needs
Cons
Students should be more understanding why there parents send them to school.
School
Central Kitchen (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INSeptember 4, 2018
Working for the High School was okay, I just wasn't happy with the staff and work situations I was faced with. After going to management with my concerns I felt it best to resign my position and seek employment elsewhere.
A day
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 3, 2018
Welcoming, knowledgeable, and friendly. The staff was very supportive. The students were well behaved and did what was needed for class. I enjoy seeing the different schools.
Productive workplace
educational training
management helpful
lunch breaks
home envirnoment
Pros
holidays off
Cons
cross training
Rps
Community Partnerships Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 17, 2018
RPS is a great place filled with many dedicated employees passionate about k-12 education and the students they serve. The constant leadership transitions and structure of the system (elected school board, lack of staggered terms) make it difficult to gain traction to improve the system.
great productive place
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 14, 2018
Enjoyed working along with the teachers and students with various projects. Everyday it was something different so you never had the chance to be bored.
Noted that the extreme nature of the job was fraught with certain instances where one is challenged by the students on a daily basis.
Safety and Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 29, 2018
Busy days five days a week with no day being the same as the next. There were however instances where boredom could set in as there were lulls intermixed with the "action" at the High School where this prospective applicant was employed. One has to be strong willed and cognizant of the fact that one is working with some students who do not respect rules and persons in authority. Officers were sanctioned with performing book bag checks and searches if necessary utilizing a metal detector wand and an electro-metal detector. Safety posts were assigned, and there was also roving security duties. Officers were instructed to curb violence, report security breaches, and report any inconsistencies of student code of conduct as provided by Richmond Public School standards.
Pros
comraderies/idea exchanges
Cons
Supervisors who are set in the old ways of thinking-"in the box"
Beginning of my career
Summer School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 16, 2018
Began my career in Richmond as a teacher and became acclimated to culture and climate while building relationships with students and teachers of the community.
Starting point
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 10, 2018
I started working with Richmond Public Schools as a Tutor, then became a Substitute Teacher, a full time teacher and back to a substitute teacher. The experience overall was rewarding when I saw the children grasp a concept and begin to prove their understanding of it.
Great Workplace
Physical Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 7, 2018
I’ve been a teachers for 12 years and I enjoy working with the youth. Teaching elementary school children physical education is a joy. It keeps me busy and it’s a true fulfillment.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No cons
The System
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 22, 2018
Richmond Public Schools is not a bad place to work if you have a good administrative team in your school who is intelligent, creative, collaborative, and above all, fair.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Free Lunch
Cashier/service
Cashier - Food Service in Cafeteria (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 18, 2018
Not enough money or hours no benefite time off or sick days or vacation disrespectful supervisor not enough time to clean up in the kithen.I am a hard work I love being on time
Enjoyable work environment
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 16, 2018
I enjoy working as a substitute teacher. I enjoy working with children. I really enjoyed the internet sign up system which allowed me to choose which schools and subjects I would work. It was only a temporary position until I found permanent employment.
Pros
help offered by administration and other teachers
Cons
some of the children had a very bad attitude toward school
good
Labor Trades Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 8, 2018
I enjoyed working for the school system it was like being with family all the time. The kids were the best part of my day. I learned how to be a good crew chief.
Pros
kids
Cons
hours
Great place to start your career
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 7, 2018
Great place to start your career. Please take all of the necessary classes that is needed for self- advancement. Keep record of your portfolio to present when it is time for review.
Pros
It is good to have a job.
Cons
Instructional Assistants pay is too low.
rewarding at times
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 4, 2018
The job is one that you have to have a lot of patients with the students. The paperwork can be overwhelming at times. The staff is understanding because that face the same situation.
Pros
watching students grow
Cons
stressful with not enough resources
Great and rewarding job
ENGLISH DEPT CO-CHAIR AND 8TH GRADE ENGLISH (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 4, 2018
Richmond Public Schools is a great place! I love my school and my students. I am so happy to have found a new home in RPS! I find the challenges rewarding.
Great Starter Job
Attendance Specialist (Data Analyst/Dispatcher) (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 29, 2018
Not the worst place to work. RPS does not work hard to keep its young talented workers. Not very well paying for most jobs. Good Autonomy for some jobs .
When its a passion, its not work
Exceptional Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 24, 2018
My work environment can be very stressful and ever-chaning; however, enhancing the lives of inner-city children and youth does not come with a manual. I take each day in stride, and view work as a "glass half full" experience.
Pros
Relationships with students/staff, positive impact, benefits, hours
Cons
Funding, Consistency, Leadership
Politics
Property / Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 15, 2018
Too many politics, had to know the right people for advancement. Management was not good and had people who were not good managers. Yearly contracts were how employment worked, but contracts were never guaranteed.