Rio Rancho Public Schools Employee Reviews

Great place to work and focus on student learning and achievement
Chief School Improvement Officer (Former Employee) –  New MexicoApril 17, 2019
A supportive environment for all staff. Focus is on the growth of students in all facets of life - academically, socially and emotionally. A comprehensive curriculum is available to build on the strengths of each individual student with committed experts to guide their learning and success.
Great summers off along with other school holidays.
Educational Aide (Current Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMApril 4, 2019
The Special Education staff is very supportive. A typical day is to provide and set educational goals for our students; this includes curbing bad behavior. The workplace culture is relaxed but not too much. The hardest part of the job is learning about students situations away from school (homelessness, emotional and/or physical abuse, drug use, and neglect). The most enjoyable part of my job is watching our students flourish.
Pros
Strong educational goals for students.
Cons
The pay as an Education Aid is not enough to live on.
You really have to like kids
Bus Driver, Lot Maintenance, School Custodian (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMMarch 15, 2019
Management is great. Drivers have names and aren't treated like numbers. School district is underfunded and it makes things difficult but Transportation management overcomes these difficulties.
Pros
Numerous
Cons
Can be stressful at times
Love the Staff
EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMJanuary 30, 2019
I love the people that I work with! Everyone is extremely welcoming and very friendly. The job is hard but very rewarding but my coworkers make a huge difference in my day.
Do you like kids?
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMNovember 11, 2018
The work and the routes are not difficult. Management was excellent and many of the other drivers are quite pleasant. Dealing with rowdy children is not very desirable.
Pros
Close to home.
Cons
Split shifts and misbehaved children.
productive fast paced work place
Health Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMOctober 29, 2018
I assisted in administering medications to children in the health office. I monitored diabetes logs. I communicated with parents and teachers concerning students health needs. I documented health notes on health cards and on PowerSchool. I checked vital signs and temperatures. I documented health concerns and notified the nurse. I maintained vaccination records and notified parents on any missing vaccinations. I ordered health supplies for the health office as needed. I maintained cleanliness of office between patients. I entered all health cards entries at the end of my shift.
Cut throat Principal
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMOctober 24, 2018
Left with extreme PTSD because of lack of support from Principal and abuse from students and parents. Not worth being an educator in this particular district.
Cons
No breaks, constant belittling of staff by admin
Great overall experience
Athletic Director (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMAugust 5, 2018
Excellent school system. Progressive and collaborative. I spent 10 years working at rrps . I learned s lot and it was s great experience I will never forget.
Rrps
EA for Special needs, Assistant Athletic Coach. (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMAugust 1, 2018
A typical day at work would be to drop off my things in the classroom I was assigned to and then to check the mailboxes in the front office for the staff. I was assigned to either one child or two children. It was a small group class. I would have to escort kids to their classrooms or to lunch and monitor them. I also helped with kids and their class work. I am under the direction of the Teacher in that particular classroom.

I learned a lot about different learning disabilities and how to handle a child who is having a hard day with their individual disability.

The management was okay. Every school is different and had different management. The management at my particular school wasn't very supportive at times when it came to defending a teacher or an educational assistant. I cannot give specifics, but more support from the management could have been better.

Overall the school I worked at had amazing people. The teachers were more than happy to help me and make sure everything was going well.

The hardest part of the job was honestly handling the meltdowns of students. Some kids didn't know how to control emotions and it was up to me to figure out what will work for that individual person.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the students and being able to make a small difference in their lives. The hours were great because they worked with my kids schedule. I like that I had my summers off. But overall I enjoyed most aspects of my job.
Work Culture needs improving
Safety Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rio Rancho NMApril 11, 2018
I work in a stressful job requiring me to perform another persons job 95% of the time and I am allowed to perform my job 5% of the time. I am unable to accomplish my regular job duties within a regular work day on a regular basis
Pros
Many Vacation Days
Cons
Long hours, inadequate pay, hostile work environment, bullying, etc....
Great Place!
SPECIAL EDUCATION INSTRUCTIONAL LEADER (Current Employee) –  Rio Rancho NMMarch 8, 2018
Excellent administration and a wonderful school! Teachers truly care about the students. Most of the parents are supportive. Excellent athletic programs. This school is also rated high in academic scores.
A rewarding place to work
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMMarch 7, 2018
Working in the education field is a rewarding place to work. Knowing that you are helping to tech our future. Children are so loving and willing to learn new things daily. The hardest part of the job is when a child is having a bad day and nothing you do can make it better.
Workplace Culture
SECRETARY (Current Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMMarch 6, 2018
Workplace culture is good. People I work with are nice and always willing to help each other out. There is really no room for advancement and no professional development if you are not a teacher.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
No raises or advancement opportunities
Great environmernt to work in..
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMMarch 2, 2018
Was allowed to create programming with federal grant monies to prove programming for school age children in an after school settings. Created 8 afterschool self sustaining programs
Pros
Great place to work with people
Competitive & rewarding
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMFebruary 25, 2018
Very fast paced, great people, huge diversity of cultures. Movement in the district is always an option. Really enjoyed working with the students and the teachers.
Pros
Before school care is avalilable.
Cons
Child care is pretty expensive.
Substitute
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMFebruary 7, 2018
I was a substitute teacher, I got to pick my own shifts and worked as I felt like it. But with this freedom meant that I really didn't get the benefits or management that is normally expected for a job.
Enjoyed working with Special need children
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  V Sue Cleveland High SchoolJanuary 22, 2018
Provided me with a great opportunity to work with special need children and help out where ever I was needed. I learned how the school system worked and the exceptions and demands that are placed on a teacher on a daily basis.
Pros
Hanging out with the children all day
Cons
NO breaks and no stability
I love the school, just not the District
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMJanuary 9, 2018
The school site is incredible. I absolutely love the students and staff, but the salary isn't sufficient for all I do here, compared to other sites' administrative assistants. They typically handle what their supervisor/Principal needs while there are additional staff to handle bookkeeping, attendance, etc. Here, I do the job of 5 staff an only get paid the title salary with no compensation for the additional duties.
typical day
S.A.F.E ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMJanuary 2, 2018
First off this was a split shift. Got to work at 6:30 am and stayed till about 9am. then came back about 3:30pm and stayed till 6pm. Before and after care program for elementary kiddos. I worked with 2nd and 3rd aged.
Rrps
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMDecember 11, 2017
As a sub you get to choose your own working hours great for busy schedules. You can also choose what age group you are most comfortable working with as well as the functional levels you are comfortable working with ( if you choose to to special education assignments)