Rio Tinto
Coronavirus update
Information from Rio Tinto:

Rio Tinto Employee Reviews

United States200 reviews
Current position has no advancement potential and HR activities have been outsourced to another company so obtaining positive feedback from them is nearly impossible.
Uneori, depinzand de locul de munca, unele zile pot fi mai incarcate decat altele, dar asta e partea care face viata mai interesanta.
Eu nu sunt angajat permanenet ci pe contract, nu am beneficiile unui angajat, dar relatiile interpersonale nu tin cont de asta. Toata lumea trateaza cu respect, profesional si in mod civilizat. In tot ceea ce facem, safety e pe primul loc, in office si in the field. Avem team building, activitati sponsorizate de companie unde ne intalnim si cu alti angajati cu care nu lucram in mod direct. Acum, cu Covid-19, compania a aratat multa flexibilitate si a tinut pe aproape toata lumea sa lucreze de acasa. Nu a concediat pe nimeni. Acum, partial ne intoarcem la office, dar unii inca lucram de acasa.
Pros
Atmosfer buna si oameni de treaba
Cons
Nu prea ai unde sa mananci ca s-a inchis cafeteria.
Management creates a stressful finger pointing environment less concerned with working as a team to overcome adversity then finding blame in others which creates silo’s and mistrust.
Pros
Good 401k
Cons
Pay below industry standards
Rio Tinto provided me with sleeping quarters, food and an ensuite.
Over the years I took on every opportunity to further my training, unfortunately the Autonomous trucks came.
Command and control
Strategy and vision not focused on location

Decisions based on global criteria rather than local criteria

Wrong acquisitions made at wrong times
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
The company culture is very positive. Be prepared for changes. Things are what you put into at this company. Lots of opportunities and new challenges.
This is not a desk job, you are going to be on-site, in a mine, and looking like a highlighter in a hard hat while you are installing servers. Management cares about your work, your success and your advancement however IT does not have many open opportunities.
Pros
free lunches sometimes, Great people, healthy work life balance, Insurance Options
At Rio Tinto the employee relation ship was excelente, permitting the technical dialogs to be frequent and good results because of the easy way we communicated. It made it easy to every one to learn and form a very active part in all aspects of the Project. To be honest the most enyoiable part was eating a great hamberger at the five guys. The management attitude created good team work
Pros
A great team work
Cons
I found nothing to complain
The culture and experience varies as there is much relocation and movement within management. RT was hit with hard financial times in 2012 and there were a few years of lay-offs following that. The culture amongst colleagues is for the most part very good. As there are many management changes, it can be challenging to feel secure at times. My last manager was stellar, always encouraging my professional growth and providing opportunities for that.
rio was great. they had good training. there was a lot of cool tech. it was a swcure job with good benifits. i wleft fo another job but i would o back if i coyld. the hiring process was hard because there was a lot of competition. i jyust spoke honestly. most of my prir experience was with management. but threy wanted someone god withh people
Pros
location
Cons
I've only ever really worked for this company so I can't compare to others, but overall a decent company to work for with decent employee benefits. Generally there are opportunities given to upskill and grow within the company and its divisions
Hard worker that did his job but had a boss that didn't want me around and did everything in his power to terminate me and he did and records because of it he lost his job
Do yourself a favor and don't apply here. Its seriously like working in a daycare hearding cats. Remember you were warned. It's a job but everything sucks here.
Like any other job, it has its ups and downs got your down days and you’re up days. I really wish I knew about this place 20 years ago. I’ve been there 13 years and I like what I do.
Pros
Plenty of room for growth
Cons
Over time, long overtime hours get to you.
The culture is very cutthroat in corporate. Too many changes happening at once and one is not finished before another one starts. Executives appear to be concerned with image and making their bonus at the cost of all that do the work. No job security. Fantastic pay and benefits though.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
No job security
Excellent place to work. They had a strong union who worked hard at ensuring all employees were paid well and protected from doul practice. Down side is many took advantage of bring protected by the union and work very little. However, overall I loved my experience at rio tinto.
there is NO room to 'move up', the position you're hired in, is the one you'll stay in. there is a terrible 'click' there, where the one's who live in Boron, are the 'preferred' one's, and they gang up on the 'outsiders'. the pay is LESS than the same union position anywhere else, but the union dues are MORE than the other unions (it's a 'privately' owned union out there), and the 'classifications' for your position (A,B,C) are knocked down, from the proper classification you would be put in, in any other union. I would not go here, it's not a place you can retire from. they company 'match' on retirement funds, is not a match, they only match 3% of the first 100$ you put in, then nothing. oh, and, if you want to use any of your sick days (which you get paid by your union agreement), you get written up for using them...so, even though you are allowed to use sick days, you get penalized EACH time you use one, after 6 write-ups, you can be fired!
Pros
it's a job
Cons
many
I have worked for Rio Tinto for 10 years. Started as a union operator and the pay was great at around $32/hr once qualified. There is a very strong safety culture here and if something doesn't look right or smell right you have the option of taking a step back and reassessing any given task. I liked my job as a process operator, starting off with 2 weeks of vacation a year, 3 weeks after 5 years. This company is great when it comes to promoting from within which is why I eventually decided to take a salary position as a process supervisor. At times I feel the pressure in my role but Rio Tinto REALLY takes care of their salaried employees as far as pay, vacation, holidays, 401K, bonuses, etc. I would highly recommend Rio Tinto to anybody wanting a stable and great paying career, on the union side or the salaried side. There can be quite a bit of overtime at times on the union side if that's your thing.
Pros
Great pay, good amount of vacation, holiday pay, sick time, safety culture
Cons
Sometimes excessive overtime for hourly employees, Company/union relationship strains at times.
Managers are liars and demand to be praised and never disagreed with. Dishonesty and back-stabbing are rewarded. You can be fired without warning for any reason, even a new manager or executive taking over who has never met you. Nepotism and kissing up run rampant. Merit is much less important than personal relationships with those above in the chain of command. Frequent reorganization results in layoffs and wasted time. Huge bureaucracy with too much red tape and competing priorities hindering progress. Rio Tinto is run by racist, sexist white men who give preference to Australians and British employees. Legitimate complaints result in threats and other retaliation. Horrible company.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Rio Tinto embodies everything wrong and bad in big business, They’ll pay you to stay quiet and have their lawyers threaten lawsuits if you criticize them, Awful
Most decisions need to be escalated for approval, which can be frustrating when trying to accomplish anything.

Compensation is reasonable, but similar roles often likely pay better elsewhere.

Very relaxed work environment and flexible work schedules for most roles.
It was nice to work with the people. Software is a social business, and that aspect was nice. The business is more about mining, however, and this made it difficult to find the most appealing solution in the software space sometimes. When push came to shove, software was a secondary consideration. After all, this is a mining company. Which was fine. When my contract was up, I was happy to move on to Fox.
Pros
Professional environment; good people
Cons
Sometimes overzealous approach to safety concerns
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rio Tinto. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.6Personal Development
2.8Career Opportunities
3.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight