Riot Games

Riot Games Culture reviews

United States33 reviews
Was a great place to work day to day with wonderful people always willing to help you grow and succeed in your goals. I have nothing but good things to say about the people and culture. It always felt like home coming into a job I thoroughly enjoyed.
Its easy to be heavily recruited in the games industry, just pay attention to some key words on your resume- the industry is zeitgeist driven so just dress yourself up as the flavor of the month. Almost everyone is a new manager and lacks leadership talent, the rest are in a white-male leadership vortex that emphasizes bro culture, but does everything it can to manage perception externally.

Crazy how harassment and casual racism get swept under the rug when the media isn't paying attention.
Lots of talented colleagues and great company culture. I had a blast working for the company and felt well compensated. I've grown a lot as a person through my commitment in working at Riot Games
The culture is second to none and the desire to have a positive work environment and willingness to help employees grow in any area they want is what Riot is all about. But you better love games!
I loved working for riot games, the culture was incredible and I felt very useful and accepted. there was always opportunity for growth. The most enjoyable part of the job was coordinating the live shows.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Great place to work and learn new skills. Also a great place to build relationships with experts all over the world. Problem spaces are complex and vast and fun to work through with a collaborative team.
The company is trying to include more minorities and more women but it skews heavily male.
Employees are expected to give 110% but playtime is also encouraged.

Interview/hiring process is long and intensive.

Most enjoyable part of the job is working with dedicated, smart employees who are passionate about delivering the best.
Pros
Great benefits, lots of perks, beautiful campus, smart and competent coworkers.
Cons
Lack of women in management roles.
Riot Games tries to create a laid back business culture, where colleagues can build trust and speak frankly with one another. With people acting like friends and playing games every day, it can be easy to forget that you're at work.

Never forget that you are at work. There are supposed to be metrics and improvement plans to help employees meet and exceed expectations, but not all teams have that in place. If there's a perception that you're not delivering enough widgets, prepare for unceremonious termination.
Pros
All your needs are taken care of, the people are great
Cons
Pressure to stay in the office, for all hours.
Yeah it was great at first......

The place is a cult, and I could not see until the ride was over.

The company culture is lazy and sluggish. They have one product since they stole someone else's hit game.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Work life balance is non existent
I honestly loved the advertised culture, but Riot has changed a lot in the past couple years. There is very little room to advance, and in general, the company doesn't seem to have a solid vision or strategy for where it wants to be in the next year or two. I feel that many of the leaders don't know how to enact policy or really help the organization evolve positively. I mentioned that Riot has changed a lot, but it hasn't been due to the leaders making the engineering organization better; it feels more like a slow erosion, where they try to maintain a status quo and often stifle any rumblings of change.
Pros
Lunch and dinner are fully subsidized for now, "Unlimited" PTO, Shared Success Plan
Cons
Limited growth opportunities, difficult to affect change, leaders preach a culture of feedback, but rarely display any effort to change.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Riot Games?
A great place to work for a hungry individual not just because they offer free lunch and dinner at their cafeteria, but also when it comes to growth in the company and as an individual. The culture is rich and fun.
The Facilities department has some Job Security/Advancement issues, however the workplace culture throughout the company is phenomenal. Facilities in particular does have a rather poor work/life balance, however it also tends to be extremely satisfying within that team as they have an extremely amazing camaraderie. Benefits are extremely competitive, compensation could use some work. Management is growing and adapting constantly. But ultimately this place is heaven on earth for any gamer looking for a place to have a career.
Pros
Free lunch and dinner, PC Bang + Arcade, Nap rooms, beautiful campus
Cons
Occasional political feuds, growing pains, feeling guilty about having to leave the office at the end of the day
Riot Games Inc. has a very unique culture. This is a company definitely where everyone wants to be. I enjoyed my time as a contractor in Riot Games.
Pros
Free lunch and dinner
Cons
Job Expectation
Is a fast paced environment that encourages exploration and values the input of all members on the team.

The team is willing to take risks given proper thought has been given before launching a new initiative.

The team will not continue down paths that are no longer viable and will pivot to new opportunities quickly.
I learned how to build an API using Node.js; my project felt awesome, because even as an intern, my work was impactful and I knew that someday, my feature would ship to a live environment.

Management is an interesting beast. As a software engineer, there's a few people at play that you have to be cognizant of. Development manager, which deals with developer relations and how productive a team can work. Engineering managers, which are technically "the boss" of a specific team and/or function, and "product managers", who drive the priorities and the workflow of the products of teams in play. The problem here is that even if the dev and the product manager likes you, if the engineering manager has a reason not to, you're out. There's nothing you can do to change that.

Lesson learned? It doesn't matter who else you please, if your direct (engineering) manager doesn't like you, you're boned - good luck ever working there again.

Co-workers were awesome - most of them were pretty young, but the odd time you'll encounter a "dinosaur" - someone who's been around for a few years and knows the tech stack like it's their own child (probably because they built it, heh!). The open office environment really lends itself to a greater sphere of influence and learning, since anyone around you can give you good feedback, and give you the tools you need to succeed.

The hardest part of the job was really focusing on specific priorities - sometimes, a lot of work can come up, and you need to understand where to draw the line, and how exactly to ensure that you stay on top of your work
 - more...
Pros
$10 off dinner if you stay late, game at work (breaktime!), gamer culture/atmosphere
Cons
work/life balance can be a challenge