Rite of Passage Employee Reviews

Quite Fulfilling
ANCILLARY SERVICE SUPERVISOR/MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Durango, COJanuary 25, 2019
Typical Day: Long hours
Learned: A lot about myself
Culture: Good
Hardest: Working constructively with so many personalities
Best: The kids, trying to give them the tools to succeed once they left.
Good work environment and great kids.
Senior Coach Counselor (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 24, 2019
Working for Rite of Passage was a unique experience. I learned a lot from working at ROP. I learned how to manage teenagers behaviors. When I first started I managed teenagers that were on probation. Then as Stayed with the program our site changed to more of a therapeutic site. I then learned how to manage the behavior of teenagers that grew up in CPS and had mental illnesses. I became a manager and learned how to also manage my staff.
Pros
great schedule and hours.
Cons
no loyalty
Rite of passage is a national correctional placement for youths from 12-18
Juvenile Counselor (Former Employee) –  Minden, NVJanuary 20, 2019
I started working at rite passage after I quit working at as a correctional officer in california at san quentin! I wanted to help troubled youths after the untimely death of my very own son who was killed when he was only 18 months old in march of 2000. Having said that: my day at r.O.P. Started at 0430 am and did not end until 2300 0r 2400!
Pros
The pros were that I am certain that I reached some kids in a honorable and legal way!
Cons
Unenlightened front office managers
Terrible place to work
Coach Counselor (Former Employee) –  Granbury, TXJanuary 15, 2019
Grueling hours, with minimal pay--especially for the fact that you are in harms way every day! The juveniles cursing and not complying with the standards and expectations is CONSTANT-- especially with the very high turn-over (they always try to get a way with more when a 'new worker' comes on board, then they wear them down by trying to overpower them).

It's almost as if you are cut off at the knees and put in a sprinting contest while being timed! You have major duties with minimal training, minimal support, high demands, and are written up for every little thing instead of receiving more support and training to do your job. Most call Rite of Passage (ROP), run on pennies because the funding is so unevenly distributed.

14-hour days 3.5 days a week (suppose to get a two-hour break, but many times you don't because they are short-handed) and then you are EXPECTED to come in on your days off if someone didn't show up for their shift---which happens OFTEN because it's such a stressful working environment, with A Lot in constant change, and germ-filled environment, so people are sick a lot. All for $11 or $12 an hour?!

Very cut-throat, unappreciated, over-worked, and you have the potential to be hit, attacked, spit on, cussed at EVERY day-- high stress!

The only benefit is when you do make a connection with the struggling students and make a difference in their lives.
Pros
Free food, connection with kids
Cons
Very stressful work environment with long hours, minimal pay, and you're in harms way every day.
Work Schedule Can Be Beneficial
Coach Counselor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 12, 2019
It can be really nice having 4 days on and 3 days off it definitely gives you time to have a life outside of the workplace. I also feel this is great start for anyone looking to advance their career working with youth and or wanting to provide special service at risk youth. However the pay does not match the hours you have to work the 4 days on and it its not consistent with the cost of living in Colorado. So you may be spending those 3 days off trying to supplement the income you are making. However it is a good entry level job for those looking to work in the sector of serving youth or juveniles in the system.
Pros
You do get an hour lunch and I believe two other breaks on your shift, free meals on your shift
Cons
Long hours, prone to sickness working in such a closed environment, units don't offer much fresh air flow, management is real iffy, food is not that great, overnight required and unpaid unless you are woken up for whatever reason
Nice place to work
Coach/Counselor (Current Employee) –  Watkins, COJanuary 9, 2019
My experience at ROP was quite overwhelming but very interesting. There was a lot to learn and to adapt the the culture of getting use to working long hours but overall it is a very good place to work. The level of supervision is great and there is a lot of team work among the staff. I enjoyed working the the youths and had gotten very close to them as I build a great rapor with them daily and the level of respect we had for each other was great. i would never change that aspect of my life to make a difference in someone else life because it gives me the pleasure of knowing that I am capable of doing something right for a change.
Want your morals tested? Work here.
Coach Counselor (Former Employee) –  Watkins, COJanuary 7, 2019
This was a great foot in the door job, in the beginning. Unfortunately the management in the place is lacking. Try to report something and it is all swept under the rug unless you are favored by management. The kids are a struggle to deal with, but they are also the most rewarding thing about the place. Rite of Passage in Watkins is chronically understaffed despite state regulations requiring more staff. Long work days are made harder with lack of support, expect to be thrown in after lackluster training and made to swim. If you don't party with your unit staff on your off days, don't expect to be included in anything while working.

The management on the unit barely exists, and I didn't interact with mine in the whole time working there. You have to sleep at the site at least once a week, WITHOUT COMPENSATION, and management would constantly tell us we are risking our chances of working with youth in the state if we went hands on with violent teenagers (with the technique they train you with, I add). Your experience here rests solely on the Group Leader you are under, and nothing is done to stop verbally abusive staff if they decide they don't like you.

You are constantly put in positions that question your morality and force you to choose between continuing to work here or standing up to it and being forced to quit.

Things started going down hill after two of the Colorado sites closed down. I would not recommend working here if you want a future in DYS or DHS. Working here has become a bit of a joke in other circles.
Pros
Free meals, working with trouble youth
Cons
long days, poor managment, lack of leadership, understaffed
Loved the kids - but not the job
COACH COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJanuary 2, 2019
The hours are long, there was no consideration for being sick or having an emergency. Lack of support from management. Management played favorites. Not much concern for the well being of the kids, the way to coach was constantly changing.
Pros
The kids
Cons
Literally everything else
Liked Job and work,
Behavior Mentor / Robotics Coach (Current Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZJanuary 1, 2019
Once asked to coach robotics l have loved working at this job. I love getting up every morning and going in to see what new thing these minds will need help with.
Poor management
Coach counselor/group leader (Former Employee) –  Watkins, CODecember 30, 2018
I got the job at Ridge View because of my degree in criminal justice. At first, I loved working with the kids and my co-workers. Shortly after I started working there everyone started quitting because of the change in the program. The schedule was kind of nice because I would have 3.5 consecutive days off, but while I was working the days were very long 15 hour days.
They are constantly short staffed, so when the kids didn’t have school, you were lucky to get your 2 hour break out of a 15 hour workday because upper management doesn’t care to help out—they are so lazy.
There is hardly any room for advancement unless you are favored by upper management because of your personality not because of your work ethic and because of your gender.
When I worked there, I worked a lot of various roles for them and they took me for granted.
Pros
Free meals, place to sleep, short work week
Cons
Poor management, long days with no breaks, constantly under staffed, high turnover rate, low pay
Good for temporary experience
Youth Coach Counselor (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 27, 2018
I worked the night shift, which was four days on, three days off. 10 hour days. If you can handle the hours, it's pretty easy. Interacting with the kids was the best part. Management depends on which facility you're at - some are run better than others. The employee culture can be a little dramatic because of the stressful nature of the position.
Innovative treatment environment
mental health staff (Current Employee) –  Aurora, CONovember 15, 2018
I am a current employee and Ridge View Youth Services. The program is innovative and provides a safe environment for youth. The program has a school on campus along with sports and vocational opportunities. The program has some of the best therapists in the state who care about the kids they work with and are very skilled at what they do. The program promotes health and wellness interventions for the youth opposed to just medicating them. Very proud to be an employee at Ridge View.
Pros
free lunch, gym and weight room available to staff, supportive team
You make a difference
Coach Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brigham City, UTNovember 9, 2018
This job is a great opportunity for feeling like you can make a difference. Working with the youth and helping them learn and grow is a rewarding experience. I was sad that I had to leave due to family obligations.
Rewarding!!!
Coach Counselor (Current Employee) –  Bryant, ARNovember 8, 2018
ROP is changing the lives of Youth. Job can be demanding at times, but so REWARDING to show the youth that they do not have to let their past define their future.
Pros
Your making a difference in the lives of Kids.
Cons
Can be demanding at times
ROP-Uta Halee Academy
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 8, 2018
I have worked for this company for over 3 years. They do great work with kids! Education is a primary focus. Young ladies are also offered vocations, club activities (ex Robotics, Art Club, newspaper, student government, 4-H, Color Guard and more), social skills training, treatment groups, therapy, Bible study/church, and off campus and on campus fun events! Staff is recognized for their achievements and appreciated all of the time. They really want to foster an environment of family.
Pros
competitive pay, great benefits, tuition reimbursement, staff recognition, Pto
Cons
long shifts that can be challenging if you are note used to this type of work.
Rite Of Passage, Alexander AR
Coach Counselor (Current Employee) –  Alexander, ARNovember 8, 2018
Rite of Passage in Alexander AR, works really hard to ensure all employees are treated fair. They have established a great work life balance working 3.5 days and off 3.5 days. This give employees opportunities to spend more time with their families. They constantly strive to let the employees they their hard work is appreciated.
Great Company
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  Queen Creek, AZNovember 8, 2018
Such a great company to work for. Strong leadership and advancement opportunities around every corner. The sites continue to grow within the regions and beyond, that advancement is always a possibility. Definitely a long term career option.
Pros
Leadership, changing lives in youth, benefits
Great place to learn and grow
Human Resouces (Current Employee) –  Brigham City, UTNovember 8, 2018
"Improving the lives of youth!" That is the mission statement. The owner of this company is truly dedicated to youth. Work here and you will learn life lessons that will follow you throughout your life. Not only does ROP help the youth succeed it helps the staff grow. There are opportunities around the USA.
Pros
The kids that work hard and excell
Cons
The kids that are hurting so bad they hinder their own progress
A great place to work
School Counselor (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 8, 2018
Rite of passage is a company with a lot of room for advancement and growth. There are also opportunities for relocation, and working with different populations and at different types of programs.
Pros
Meals provided while on shift, Room for advancement and growth, face paced and exciting environment
Rewarding-Great Place to Work
Employee (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 8, 2018
Uta Halee Academy is great place to work. Great staff and atmosphere. Very rewarding feeling knowing you are helping the students, families, and community.
Pros
Great Atmosphere
Cons
Benefits are expensive for family plans

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rite of Passage. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight