RJ Corman Railroad Group Employee Reviews

Horrible company
Railroad switchman (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJanuary 31, 2019
Never gives raises lies about incentives poor upper management would definitely not recommend schedule never posted at a decent time if you like having a home life seek other options
Great job!
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJanuary 22, 2019
I would highly recommend working with RJ Corman! Great job good pay and very good benefits! Being able to learn to drive the locomotive is a great experience and very handy skill to have for the future
Pros
Easy work decent pay good benefits
Cons
My co workers were great...
Conductor/Switchman (Former Employee) –  Panama City, FLJanuary 12, 2019
My boss was horrible..I didn't have any safety class before I started... screwed me out of my hours numerous times....worst place ever to work....if you're looking for a career....this is the wrong job.......you'll never make any money here.....
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Boss was horrible
Fun and relaxed until having a callout
Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Wellington, KSDecember 31, 2018
Great place and even better people. Only problem is being on call and having only an hour callout. If you are single and want to make money its the place for you.
Pros
people, daily work, pay, time off
Cons
on call, not set times to work
This is a very good company to work for
Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Nicholasville, KYDecember 27, 2018
I'm currently employed at RJ Corman I've been there almost 10 years, Most of the reviews I've read are either from disgruntled ex employees or from employees that are not really fond of working. You must understand this is a hands on company that requires manual labor in all weather conditions, depending on your job title it may require extensive travel. this review is based on manual labor positions i have no knowledge of how office positions operate. 1st thing lets get real this is a railroad company that should automatically tell you this is a manual labor company its not for people who are afraid of work, if your afraid of getting your hands dirty or you don't like to sweat or if you don't like to work out in the weather don't apply for a job. I've read a lot of comments about lack of advancement, I came from a labor to a manager I can tell you with certainty there is room for advancement but its up to you. You may think in YOUR OWN MIND your the most valuable and hard working employee on your crew but in reality your only doing what your getting paid to do. I know for a fact there can be long hours I've worked countless 16-20 hour days I've even worked 38 - 40 hours straight without any sleep it can be tough and demanding, but what do you expect its a RAILROAD company anything involving the railroad should tell you its not going to be a gravy job. in summery if your a hard worker. if your not afraid to get dirty. if your not afraid to put in some long hours at times or travel long distances. apply for a job its a truly good place to work. I owe a lot to this company when  more... I look around at all the things this company has afforded me, the life I'm able to have I thank the Lord for the opportunity he gave me to work for a company as good as RJ Corman has been to me, I assure you it didn't come without sacrifices and it still doesn't I'm away from my family 260 days a year  less
Pros
free food. free boots. free carhart clothing. A paycheck
Potential Not Met
Manager (Former Employee) –  Nicholasville, KYDecember 19, 2018
RJ Corman has all the things to be a great place to work but are falling short. Senior management does not value concerns of the employees. Do not work there!
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
No trust, toxic management that leads by fear and does not communicate to the employees.
Good place to work but you travel to much
Laborer and Operator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 11, 2018
Decent pay but there is people there that get jealous of your success and will cut your throat and there is to much traveling involved , and not enough pay to be gone from home all the time
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
To much traveling not enough pay for it
Fun environment to work in.
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, KYNovember 19, 2018
I had a lot of fun working for RJ. The pay is decent. Not a lot of opportunities for advancement. Usually work in all weather conditions. Very labor intensive job.
Great place to learn, if its fully staffed
Rail Loader (Current Employee) –  Georgetown, KYNovember 4, 2018
You learn a lot and you get paid well, expect some ill timed big numbers however, but those things are hard to avoid. Job pace is determined by your coworkers and the railroad/toyota
Pros
Great Pay, Overtime if you want it
Cons
No guaranteed time to leave, Overtime if you dont want it
On call 24/7 /365
Operator II (Former Employee) –  Wellington, KSOctober 27, 2018
Wasnt for me or family. On call all the time for train derailments. Had 1 hour to respond could work for days on end except ot was after 4 pm before 7 am. So you could be out all weekend on ot but come monday am your on reg time after workin 2 days straight. Managers feed u what they buy no choice for u nothing healthy the spend your per diem.you dont have control of it. Which was good sometimes you could spend alot at a gas station with a group of 10 guys.
Pros
Ot lots hours
Cons
Unsafe. Callout w24 hours. On call
n/a
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Nicholasville, KYSeptember 10, 2018
This is a good company to work for very fast paced. if you like to travel and see new sights and things then this is a great place to work the people that work there are great.
Not a bad place to get some experience
WELDER/FABRICATOR (Current Employee) –  Nicholasville, KYSeptember 4, 2018
RJ Corman isn't a horrible place to work if you don't mind never moving forward in the place you work. They match 401k 100% and the life insurance is good. But the health insurance is outrageous and doesn't cover much along with the vision and dental. Management sucks and there is not communicating between departments.
Pros
401k, life insurance
Cons
No advancement, expensive insurance, management
productive workplace
RAIL SWITCH OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Macon, GASeptember 3, 2018
A typical day at RJ Corman would consist of safety meetings, equipment inspections, yard checks, shift turnovers, track inspections, switching rail cars and doing brake checks. Management was pretty fair. The workplace culture was calm and relaxed. In my opinion the hardest part about the job was going through paperwork when the plant made a mistake.The most enjoyable part about the job would have to be the safety meetings and job briefings.
Pros
great pay
Cons
traveling from site to site
Great until you figure out they lie to you
Engineer/Conducter (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAAugust 9, 2018
So that start off pay is $13.25 XD just to let you know, in macon anyway. Every has a better pay for some reason. They want you to be as good as NS but wont pay you the money. Lot safety training which i suggest if you do take the job you learn carefully.
The manager is a great guy his boss over is like a super smiley scum lord who's only in it to save his butt if something happens. Worked with him one time and literally set us back for almost a hr in the rain.
More or less you'll get paid whatever their paying past your 30 days you might get a 25cent raise after 9months, but youll get a undertanding manager and some cool people to work with....sometimes.
You get stuck cleaning up after coworkers on the yard quite frequently, if you come in behind the slacker crew.
Pros
Great manager and semi laid back atmosphere
Cons
The mill itself that you work for as a contractor has some not so nice people over the phone, Avoid blue cars on rainy days, electrocution is possible during and after storms.
Was a good place to work when I started
Operator (Current Employee) –  Nicholasville, KYJuly 26, 2018
The leadership has lost sight of Ricks goals, his love for the people who worked there, the way that he treated them and the expectations he had for how a job would be ran and FINISHED
It was a great place to work til mr.corman died and everything changed.
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Nicholasville, KYJuly 22, 2018
I really loved working there til owner died and everything changed. I thought I would retire from there. I had great benefits, 401k. Paid vacation. Great health, dental and vision. They sent to get certified in all Welding, hazmat Training, CPR.
Pros
Lots of money, great place for advancement at one time.
Cons
Now all they want to do is get rid of great employees and hire kids for less money
Work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nicholasville, KYJuly 17, 2018
I love the job at Corman just felt as if the pay was low for the work we did and all the travel. But nothing bad to say about the company in my eyes!!
Pros
Travel to different cities
Cons
Missed out on a lot with my kids
great work place
signaling (Former Employee) –  Nicholasville, KYJune 18, 2018
rj corman showed me the meaning of leader ship and hard work we would work long hours but management was very good the other co workers was great people over all a great place to work for
Pros
great pay
Cons
travel
Lots of traveling
Bridge supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJune 8, 2018
It’s not a bad place to work as long as you get through the first few months after that you’ll have a lot better chance of moving up and start getting to run equipment and other things but getting use to the traveling is one of the toughest parts
Pros
lots of overtime and rapid promotions
Cons
Lots of traveling and low starting pay
Was a good place to work.
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Del City, OKMay 22, 2018
well i would be up there at 5 am waiting on the train to come in so i can check in all the rail cars and all the vehicles coming in.The only reason not still there is because to company moved to Detroit,Mi.
Pros
They brought us lunches and hydrated us all the time.
Cons
Not as many breaks just a lunch break.