RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co Employee Reviews

Territory is yours, coverage expected. Management not trustworthy.
Trade Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCAugust 8, 2018
The company is a good company, they promote within if a person wants to advance. The job changes constantly, so employees must adapt to change, or fail. The work life balance is poor. Pay and benefits are good, but must be dedicated to the job and constantly working even on own time. Middle management for the most part is not trustworthy as I witnessed over the 20 years of employment. Change happens constantly, and time to execute is never enough. Fast paced, and turnover on employees is high. Constantly have to help out in vacant territories, while still expected to complete all work in assigned territory. Very stressful job.
Pros
Work independently
Cons
Can never complete projects when pulled out of territory to help in vacant territories.
Best Company to Work For
Financial Controls Auditor (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCDecember 17, 2018
Given a lot of opportunities while working for RJ Reynolds and was able to achieve promotions and a competitive salary plus bonuses based on my position.
Pros
Great Company plus culture
Cons
Restructuring leading to outsourcing positions
Overall it is a great benefit package with competitive salaries. However yearly review ratings have percentage caps tied to them.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJune 21, 2018
New hires that are high performers get promoted quickly. Once vested those promotions become lateral move opportunities for most. Yearly achievement review ratings have a percentage cap placed on them. Thus only a set percentage of employees, in a given level, can attain either exceeds or high achieves.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Inconsistency within middle management.
Love what I do
System Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCDecember 14, 2018
I loved my job and the people I worked with, a true family oriented culture. However no room to grow senior managers holding on to positions for 30 to 40 years.
Pros
Competitive compensation, family atmosphere
Cons
No room for gr3
rjr was good to meafter seing other jobs like food lion not good place to work
HVAC Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  tobaccovilleOctober 1, 2018
I think I judged them fair. rjr provided for me they wanted you to be there on time which I was, They gave you every chance possible it is hard to get fired rjr they will help you any way they can. They still have the buddy system in management but their day will come.
Pros
clean
Cons
to many camaras
Wonderful Company to work for
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 10, 2018
I came straight out of college, and started a career with RJ Reynolds Tobacco company. I was very successful there I was one of the top sales people and was being considered for a promotion on several occasions. I enjoyed working there it was my first real job, and the older employees made me feel comfortable. They also let me know that I was do an excellent job, and they were hearing great things from management about me. They encouraged me to get up the good work as some of the employee were retiring. I hated to see them leave, such nice people.
Great company
Trade Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRJanuary 1, 2019
Work there for 8 year its a great company to work for, you work hard but the compensation its good, they invest a lot in theyre employees and make u feel like u are parr of the company
No overtime, we only work 40 hours a week
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 28, 2018
I been working for American Snuff Company for almost 5 years now. The only bad thing about the job is no room for advancement and we only work 40 hours a week. We hadn’t work no overtime in about 3 years. Some people would say that’s a good thing but considering the holidays are around the corner that’s really not a good thing.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No advancements, no overtime
a good place to work
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 2, 2018
RJ Reynolds was a great company to work for. I learned a lot during my employment at this company. I gained skills there with consumers and how to approach different ways to conduct surveys and experiences with consumers.
Pros
A great ambassador experience.
Cons
no benefits
Entrepreneurial Environment
TRADE MARKETING TERRITORY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 5, 2018
This is a great entry level job to develop your business acumen. You will deal with gas station owners and help them evaluate your products against competitors in the tobacco business. You must be willing to put hard work in, be organized, and diligent with follow up. This job has a lot of moving elements and you have to be agile to balance a mix of administration, relationship and account management, analytics, planning, and selling to excel at this job.

I believe your Manager makes this job. My manager was too much of a micro manager, and there are hundreds of ways to excel at this job and there way may not necessarily be your way to do it. My numbers were always high, but since he has been there for years, he is one that thinks his way is the only way.
Pros
Great skill development, Company Car, Great PTO, Autonomy
Cons
Depends on the Manager, Territory may or may not be desirable, you must move for career advancement

Want to know more about RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co?

Ask a question
Tobacco Company
Trade Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAOctober 12, 2018
RJ Reynolds is a unique place to work. If you like to travel 5 days a week and call on over 100 Independent Quick Stops in a month, this is your dream job.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
I didn't like call being on the road all the time
Not a good pace to work
Senior Project Manager/Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 17, 2019
Very cautious corporate culture and not very caring about employees or contractors. They are just a machine cranking out cigarettes and finding out other ways to kill people...
Making Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 20, 2018
It was a Great place to work at with Great benefits. I would still be there but cutting back and started to outsource jobs. Took a package deal they offered.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
Outsourcing jobs
Loved working there
Territory Manager (Mansfield) (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, TXJanuary 2, 2019
RJ Reynolds was one of the best jobs I ever had. The only reason I looked for a different job is because of relocation. One of the hardest decisions I have made in my career was leaving.
Work
Worker (Former Employee) –  King, ncDecember 9, 2018
Great place to work but always worried about getting laid off due to lower tobacco use in US and abroad. Great benefits, great pay and company wants you to improve and be your best and allows you to do so.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Lay offs
Excellent company to work for
Territory Manager III (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 17, 2018
I loved RJ Reynolds... Company culture is amazing, upper management invests in the employees, benefits are fantastic, training is great. I never felt like i was going to work... loved my job
Pros
Culture, benefits
Worst Place I have ever worked
Territory Manager II (Former Employee) –  Thermopolis, WYFebruary 4, 2018
Absolutely NO work-life balance. You are not allowed to think creatively nor outside the box. Merit means nothing, only sucking up. Denver Region Director expects you to work minimum 10 hours per day, not including travel time to Sales areas, with your administrative work done at home or on weekends.
Pros
Great Salary and Benefits
Cons
Horrible Management, no people skills.
4 weeks Orientation
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMay 14, 2018
Learning the whole process of production.
I was one of the few to learn the whole process.
Management is very nice.
The workplace culture is hard working, high efficiency & productivity.
The hardest part is to learn everything in a short time.
The most enjoyable part is learning.
Was Great, now OK
TERRITORY MANAGER III (Current Employee) –  TexasMay 15, 2018
Pay is well below industry standards

Great perks, medical, dental, 401k

Company car, great coworkers

Middle management is simply middling and upper management is losing its course.
not pleasant working conditions..more like a sweatshop
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Rhode IslandJuly 30, 2018
Terrible working conditions and the Division Manager in RI has no management skills in Coaching or upselling.
Discrimination has a tendency to occur on a daily basis and would not suggest this company for employment to anyone
Pros
Company Car
Cons
everything everyday

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RJ Reynolds Tobacco Co. Our community is ready to answer.