RL Canning Employee Reviews

Not the greatest
Site Operations Lead (Former Employee) –  Melville, NYJuly 16, 2018
Even in my short stint with the company it wasn't the best of experiences. I was told I would be doing a specific role, but was put into a much lesser role.
Great Employer
IT Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 20, 2018
Although the company is located in the mid-west, they work with individuals and offer competitive compensation and benefits in local markets. I couldn't be more satisfied with them as my current employer.
Pros
Compensation and Benefits
RL Canning, Inc. is a fantastic company
Corporate Executive IT Conference Services Leader (Former Employee) –  Morris Plains, NJApril 18, 2018
You really feel connected to the managers and the leadership. Your opinion matters, and you are well-compensated. The demands of the clients can be quite high, but RL Canning understands and equips you with supportive managers and strategies to assist you.
Desktop Support (Level 2) (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 24, 2018
a typical day was very busy. I learned many of the systems that were in place. Management was very helpful. I do not know much about the workplace culture. Hardest part was the commute.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Avoid at all cost
Work place supoort analyst (Current Employee) –  AZFebruary 3, 2018
Company has no vision. Poor pay. Expect miracles. Using bonus as a way to make you do none IT work. They will lie to you about any process they have and claim that the customer is the one requesting it.

They dont have core values.
Pros
Pays the bills
Cons
Management is filled with people without experience
Overall good company
Risk Management Analyst/Desktop Support (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 31, 2018
Don't like the insecurity of job here. Contracted services and possible layoffs.

Management team was family oriented and fair. Felt that the management team had a positive spirit and was team focused.
Pros
Family oriented environment
Cons
lack of job security
Unfair, Low Wages
IT Support (Current Employee) –  New JerseyNovember 30, 2017
They are very cheap, not much training. They draw you in with bonuses and benefits but they're both terrible. A Lot of behind the back operations going on.
Pros
Get Paid
Cons
Everything Else
Avoid this Company
Tier 2 Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 9, 2017
The Springfield office is absolutely toxic to work in. Management is awful. It's probable that you will have 3 to 4 managers, all micromanaging you through email and instant message. You are given little to no direction or specific tasks. The turnover is through the roof. The pay is way under market, and comes with empty promises of bonuses and raises that you will never obtain. The time off is 15 days per year, but comes with black out periods that you are not made aware of in the on boarding process. Consistency with processes, direction, and rules is non existant. I highly recommend looking elsewhere for employment. I cannot speak for the Chicago office, however the overall culture of the company has all the above traits.
Pros
Pretty much everyone you will work with is dissatisfied with their job, so you have plenty of coworkers to console with, The one single pro is that during the time you can stand working here, you do get to add some IT experience to your resume to build for another job somewhere else.
Cons
See review.
Wonderful working experience in a positive atmosphere.
Level 1 Analyst (Former Employee) –  Springfield, IlSeptember 5, 2017
Great place to work. I enjoyed my time there. The atmosphere was positive and professional while maintaining a fun working environment. I was completely new to the project being worked but, my co-workers and supervisors made me feel right at home.
Productive and Family-like workplace
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 5, 2017
RL Canning has a unique vibe that draws you in. It is not just a career but it is a group of people that become your family. The managers engage well with their team and everyone works well together.
RL Canning has no vision
Site Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Geismar, LAJuly 3, 2017
Gantry technicians are subject matter experts who are required to aid its end users through the support process. When interviewing with them, I impressed them with my experience in project management and was told that my technical skills were far less important in this role. What appears to be the disconnect in this role is the expectations given to you by your RL Canning supervisor and the in house tech liaison. The in house "liaison", can request things such as, spinning up new servers, managing back-ups, tracing fiber, rebuilding SAN storage, and a multitude on other things. So, expectations of your offsite RL supervisor and your liaison on separate spectrums. Add into that knee-jerk reactions, gossip, and micromanagement.
Pros
Bi-weekly pay
Cons
Lack of direction
Be Aware of Your Surroundings
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILApril 12, 2017
RL Canning can be a family-oriented workplace, there are plenty of people whom work there that are willing to teach you more things that you may need to know for the job. There are others whom are worried about their job security and thus, will get you nowhere with them. Projects at this place of employment come and go rapidly. If you are the lowest/newest employee, chances are, you will be the first they will lay off and terminate your position.

Other than the items above, they have great benefits, minus the fact that your PTO and sick time are the same thing and you only accrue 15 days per year. Many other businesses include more sick time additionally to your PTO time. Management are not very friendly people. Also, there are certain personnel who will watch your every move and report you to the branch manager.
Pros
Open, quiet environment
Cons
healthcare rates, Pto, sick days, management
Very Open to Communication
Executive Care Support (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 22, 2017
Very transparent.We had weekly meeting to discuss things related to the job as well as with the company. Very open. I wish there as ongoing training.
Fun and productive place to work.
Level 1 Analyst (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 31, 2017
Productive and a fun workplace within a professional setting. Honest management and casual Fridays are awesome. The most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers and being able to assist the users with their incidents. The hardest part of the job was hearing the angst in some of the users voices when they where trying to help people as adequately and timely as possible with pending dire circumstances afoot if the issues were not resolved. ( kind of heart wrenching.)
Pros
Great co-workers and positive team atmosphere.
Cons
Training lacking in some areas - more hands on, less big book.
Productive Workplace with Great Management
Level II Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILAugust 22, 2016
R.L. Canning is a great company to land a contract with. While it does require time outside of the workplace, it is in anyone's mind who has a strong work ethic to get the job done. Benefits are expensive, and the compensation is not the highest. Management is friendly and always there to talk to you. As it is a contract based employment, the job security is not always there.
Pros
Management, staffing, diversity, awarding hard work
Cons
Health Insurance Cost, Job Security
Every day BA
Lead Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJanuary 16, 2014
I am continuously looking to be challenged everyday with new problems to solve. RL Canning and the state of Illinois definitely provide that. I am the only business analyst over three projects that are constantly changing and improving.

The people I work with are exceptional and professional. RL Canning as a company is a fast growing and moving company on the up-and-up. The managers and leaders are top notch and very personable.

Day to day activities as a business analyst are to derive requirements from users, support current web applications, collaborate with users and team members, and provide assistance and solutions to the current systems.

The hardest part of my job is working in the political world that tends to slow many processes down. I want the best for my customer and I want it in their hands by their proposed or our agreed upon deadline. Many times the game of politics is played from the State customers and priorities shift continuously altering deadlines.

As for the environment, it is top notch. The equipment given to work with and office surroundings are modern day advanced and RL Canning does an excellent job at taking care of their employees.
Pros
Personable; IT professionals; management; company size
Cons
Customers (sometimes)
RL Canning - Cornerstone
Subcontracting Data Analyst for IDHS (Former Employee) –  600 s 2nd Street, Springfield IllinoisOctober 15, 2013
Loosely managed work days, get assigned tasks, but not much interaction past that for the projects.
Weekly meetings having to try and summarize your activities done the previous week, and what you are probably going to be doing the following week. Unfortunately these meetings are with everyone in a section so you are wasting an hour or more not working, but listening to everyone else pat their own backs.
Most of the co-workers are friendly, and they try for a laid back attitude at the office.
The management team is good, but more likely to take action on peoples complaints about nervous ticks than co-workers insulting each other, or being difficult to work with.
They are very good at letting the workers work with the people requesting projects instead of trying to micromanage or mis-translate requests which other contracting agencies have been known to do.
Pros
Business wide parties, and get togethers with co-workers arranged by Rachel and Doug
Cons
Nationwide so not many other jobs in the same area under agency.
Management not open to workers opinions
Support (Former Employee) –  United StatesDecember 26, 2011
This small company created by a group of friends only wants "Yes" people. If you have any other opinions or concerns they do not want to hear it. They act like you should be "grateful" for the job and chastise you say anything else, even if you are doing a great job for your customer and they love you,. They want only "Cheerleaders" for their company. If they get any clue you are looking elsewhere they don't want you around. They even said they check up on their employees and get notice if you are looking. And they call you out on it. They micromanage professionals like you are a minimum wage worker at McDonalds.
Pros
the customers and coworkers are great.
Cons
see above.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RL Canning. Our community is ready to answer.