Road Runner Sports

Road Runner Sports Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA12 reviews
Not a hard job. As long as you know what you’re doing you’ll have a good chance of getting lots of hours here. Depending on store, training is sparse.
The work can be fun at times, but the discount is part of the reason most people stay. The staff is hounded to pressure people into the loyalty program, which auto renews every year. Corporate didnt add that part into the scripting until a bunch of customers complain. It costs ~$20 when you sign up in store for the first year, but $2 if you do it online. Make that make sense.

We're motivated to get these sign ups because we get bonuses based on that and we are expected to sell certain things and they count higher when sold in bundles (Shoesm socks, inSOULS, etc).

Sometimes, vendors come in and give us free shoes, so if you like working out or running, thats a really good perk. The discount is great.
I started as a fit expert and moved to a shift lead. I had no problems as a fit expert because I excelled at making my numbers and playing along with the R Lingo. I was conned into a leadership role when I wasn’t ready because of the high turnover. I wasn’t properly trained and when I was called out on it I asked to be trained better and was let go. Management only cares about numbers and themselves. I went to management countless times about conflict and was ignored until it came to a head. Don’t go to HR because they don’t care about you and won’t listen. My manager cursed at employees because of understaffing and HR didn’t care. This company sees its fit experts and lower management as disposable. If you’re part time trying to make a little money it pays well and the discounts are decent but DO NOT work there full time.
Pros
Discounts are good, pay grade is high for a retail job
Cons
Poor management, hostile environment, won’t give you breaks. Fraudulent sales memberships
A typical day at work consists of preparing the store to be ready for opening time. Customers are taken through an in-depth analysis to make suitable recommendations for their needs.
Working At Roadrunner sports has its up and downs but the biggest problem was the company created so many step to the selling process made it very difficult and convoluted to give customers the experience that they deserve.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
My main responsibility was inventory reconciliation and return to vendor processing. This was a part time job and I left for full time employment at another company.
Official response from Road Runner Sports
August 6, 2018
Your feedback is very important and we will share with the team.
Amazing coworkers that made the day go by super fast. Great managers that dedicated their time to assisting the customers and also the employees. Overall GREAT PLACE TO WORK
Pros
free shoe giveaway
Cons
competitive hours
You are rewarded and recognized for your hard work. Compensation is phenomenal. The company has found a way to sell to the fullest potential possible.
Pros
Great componsation
Cons
Very robotic not alot of room natural human interaction
They have a strong sales culture and an emphasis on meeting goals. They do not stand for not meeting sales goals. The customers are mostly upscale (they buy 3 socks for 30$). Those who are not leave immediately. Can get very busy and rocky for customers because they are entitled and want a personal shopping experience. RRS should hire more fit experts to deal with the needs of their customers to give more one-on-one attention. That's what they are paying for.
Pros
store events, great discount
Cons
short breaks, busy floor, sales intensive
Corporate was awful and it trickled down to the managers and employees. Great products to sell, the pay was decent, and there were good fellow employees and good customers just awful upper management and management.
Pros
Free shoes
Cons
Having to meet ever more demanding goals just to make your money.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Road Runner Sports?
Great work to life ratio. Good communication between corporate and in store management. Great pay and extensive training for all levels. Fun place to work with great company culture.
Pros
pay, culture, employees, managers
Cons
healthcare
This job will pay well but they have always changing standards and the CEO promotes an atmosphere that feels like a cult. Standards for sales goals and how the the stores are run are changed on a whim with little rhyme or reason. You are essentially required to constantly pester customers and get personal information from everyone, even if they're only spending 2 bucks.

Outside of strict requirements the atmosphere is generally laid back and I got along with my co-workers and management. You can make good money if you can deal with working on weekends and standing for long hours.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor management structure, poor customer treatment