Roanoke City Public Schools Employee Reviews

An interesting learning experience
Summer Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 19, 2019
I enjoyed working for the STEM summer camp and I learned a lot about management and working on a team. The program was run well and my teammates and I had a fair amount of autonomy within the program to teach the students in the way that we felt was most effective.
I started here right after I graduated college. I have always felt like a part of a family with every principal in the schools.
Sign Language Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 16, 2019
If you want a demanding job with an abundance of rewards by way of student love and the community of staff and faculty,
Expect to be exhausted but fulfilled. The need of these students makes everyday special.
I will so miss them.
Pros
Great staff and administrative support
Cons
Very full classrooms with little resources
Stressful
Welding Instructor (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 31, 2019
Sometimes its hard to get students that have no interest engaged into learning. Its very hard to get administration to back you. Welding is very dangerous and the welding classes are not a good fit for all students.
Pros
decent benifits summers off.
Cons
lack of support from administaration
Mic people to work with
Night Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 29, 2019
Not much to say,sometimes it’s gets challenging when staff wants to stay all nite and your un able to do your work. Good company to work for and good environment.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Snow
teacher
Middle Level Math Teacher (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VADecember 7, 2018
daily lesson plans
teaching to a diverse student body
data collecting
mentor
collaborative meetings

Fellow co-workers were very distant and kept to themselves. The student body was very chaotic and dangerous. It was not a pleasant experience.
Pros
non
Cons
pay, benefits, hostile work environment
Not the greatest place to work.
Social Studies Teacher (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VA 24012November 18, 2018
There is not much good to work for this system. Productivity and success is stressed over everything else. You should never give your own opinion ever if you are asked for it.
Pros
Pay only good thing.
Cons
Work enviromnemt not very pleaseant.
The more things change, the more they stay the same
Teacher/Coach (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VANovember 2, 2018
This school system was wonderful to work for until it started believing that technology and new buildings could improve test scores and the quality of students' lives in Roanoke. TEACHERS improve test scores and students' lives.
Pros
excellent teachers and administrators
Cons
over-reliance on technology as a panacea
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 27, 2018
Very rewarding work and good healthcare benefits... I enjoy my time working for Roanoke City Schoo Districtl. If it weren’t for not having any family in the area I’d stay.
Pros
Free lunch programs for all students
Cons
Insufficient trainings
fun, productive atmosphere
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAOctober 5, 2018
working at the public schools was very rewarding in the way of how I struggle in school myself.I was able to help various children. I've had the opportunity to work with diverse children with separate conditions that have personal goals.
Hard work not enough pay
Building Operations (Former Employee) –  Jackson Middle SchoolOctober 4, 2018
The work was very hard and the management was very poor. There was a huge workload put on the people that worked hard and came to work each day and the ones that would mess up would seem to be overlooked.
Great Place to work
LEAD SECURITY OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VASeptember 12, 2018
You will have good days and bad days. Some times it can be stressful dealing with kids. At times it seems as if you are not making a difference. Working with children sometimes yields no improvement and lack of confidence.
Pros
The environment
Cons
stressful
children are wonderful
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fishburn ParkAugust 26, 2018
TA's are not treated with respect to their knowledge base. Opinions about children you work directly with are not solicited. A typical day is fast paced and fun. The children are the most enjoyable part of this job. Morale among staff is low.
Fast paced
Roanoke (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJuly 18, 2018
Hardest part of my job is working with children that does not cooperate. However, the job is very rewarding especially when they show or tell you how much they appreciate your help.
most enjoyable part of the job
21st century, teachers aid, basketball coach (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 24, 2018
working in the school system has many enjoyable time working with the youth or the commiunity. my biggest enjoyment and interacting with the students and developing a relationship that put a smile or your and the students faces.
Pros
unstressful work place
Cons
kids behaviors
Stressful, but probably not any more so than at other school districts.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 16, 2018
The problem for teachers is that we are not working with "widgets" but human beings who are unique in their strengths and weaknesses as well as motivations and backgrounds. It's difficult to apply a business model based on products and statistics in order to measure success with students. We are constantly under stress to address each student's individual needs while ensuring that the outcomes all meet the same standard. In addition, students come to us with many physical, emotional, and intellectual needs; meeting those needs is very draining on our own intellectual, emotional, and physical resources.
Roanoke City PS
Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMay 11, 2018
As a first teaching job, it was a great learning experience. I had great mentor teachers that helped to set the example of how to be a disciplinarian and compassionate at the same time.
Toxic
Social Studies Tutor (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAApril 25, 2018
I've never seen a more dysfunctional, unorganized mess in my adult life. I as hired for academic enrichment, and I basically was utilized as an In School Suspension monitor.
Cons
Lots of fights among students, no training
I help where I was needed
Lunch Aide (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAApril 6, 2018
We done everything fill trips I worked with children in wheelchairs hearing and pear all kinds of special needs. In the cafeteria at Lucy Addison middle school. From time to time if my co workers needed help with their phones i chipped in.
Okay
Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant/Licensed (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 28, 2018
The teachers, IA's and kids are awesome!! Therapy is provided within the classroom as much as possible to allow for child success where it's needed. Training is provided as needed to staff.
Rcps
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 17, 2018
The work culture will vary widely depending on which school you teach. The principal sets the tone of the building. In most places, the teachers help each other out. However, with the planning required, grading papers, contacting parents, setting up individual student plans, the work routinely takes 12 hours per day plus a full day on the weekend.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Stressful, 12 hour days on a regular basis

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Roanoke City Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Roanoke City Public Schools Reviews by Location