Roanoke County, VA Employee Reviews

Good times were good and Bad times were bad
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAFebruary 11, 2018
Overall, the facility was a nice place but it seemed that everything had always come back on the front desk. No communication shared through anyone. We were up in the air about everything. Then when we would have questions, it would always fall back on us because of the lack of communication. Not flexible with hours whatsoever, it seemed that everything was so uptight. It was an "all work and no whatsoever play" atmosphere. Strict on breaks, and how short they were, when you could have them. Management was confusing because there were constantly new things to learn (not that that was a problem) but we never sat down to learn the right way to use/do them. Therefore when situations came up when they were needed we did not know what to do and made us continuously look bad. Also when mistakes were made it was hard to understand who did the wrong because they would point it towards us in a group and not a specific individual so how would we know where to fix our mistakes. In conclusion, it is a great way to learn and keep up with computer skills and get experience yet many downfalls especially pay and stress.
Pros
Roanoke County job, great co-workers
Cons
No flexibility, management, strict, pay
Enjoyable work
Marketing Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 17, 2018
I enjoyed working for Roanoke County. It was interesting work. I would recommend it to others. The work was challenging at times. The manager was not the greatest.
A very friendly, fun, and relaxing place to work.
Former Custodian for roanoke county (Former Employee) –  Hidden Valley Middle, Administration Building,November 2, 2017
I've worked with both Roanoke County and thru GCA. With the county system my assignment ended and was never called back. Lost my job/w GCA due to my mothers passing. Tried again with the company but my attitude i had dealing with my moms death someone within Roanoke County Administration told GCA not to hire me.
Pros
Utilities my skills while learning new ones.
Cons
Poor pay wages.
I love every moment of it
Best Buy Greek squad (Former Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 13, 2017
It's was. Great and the people where to I enjoy the moment I had with them and we had great moment some where better then after but all and all the work was great
Pros
Great people and the very understanding
Cons
Won't any
enjoyed working outdoors
Golf Course Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VASeptember 19, 2017
enjoyed working outdoors - it was a job - that's about it -- it was a job - the pay was lousy- but I did enjoy being out there cutting the grass
Pros
nothing offered
Cons
nothing offered
Stressful vs. Stress Less
Surplus Auction Administrator (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 2, 2017
During my years for Fire and Rescue every day was fun but very stressful from the hours worked to the administrative expectations to the not knowing what type of 911 call was next.
These days since the work related career ending injury the level of stress is minimal, each day with no pressure no anxiety is the pro and the con is working alone and not much interaction with other folks.
Pros
See above statement
Cons
See above statment
Good benefits
MEO1 (Former Employee) –  Salem, VAJune 28, 2017
Great benefits, but cut throat atmosphere lack of communication and even when proof was given that i was an innocent bystander i still was written up over someone who quit.
Fun Job but the Rules Weren't Followed
Activity Leader (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 29, 2017
As a activity leader you are sent to schools with other activity leaders and a supervisor. The job itself was great however, I was often left alone with most of the kids, which was not allowed. Other rules and guidelines weren't followed and it put me in an uncomfortable position as well as the kids in danger sometimes.
Not too tight or lose on rules.
Scorekeeper/Clock keeper (Former Employee) –  Vinton, VAMarch 10, 2017
The company was not too tight on their rules. I would have to follow a few rules, but not too many where it was too strick. All they had to do is tell me how to do it, quickly showed me, and let me start. The hardest part of the job would be the patents and some of the coaches, on bad, trying to tell me I was doing everything wrong, but that was only when they were losing.
Pros
It was always close to me, and had good timing with my schedule.