Roanoke County, VA Employee Reviews

If you're applying for KIDZONE - read this first!!
KidZone Staff (Former Employee) –  Hollins, VAFebruary 28, 2019
KidZone was a fun place to work because of the children. The kids make it all worth it, but I could NOT stay anymore because of the awful management. The manager would copy and paste the schedule, not cooperate with schedule changes, and would say she cares about her staff but really only cares about herself. She would also take a lot of time off and not want to deal with issues that would arise in KidZone - leaving me and my incompetent coworkers to deal with it ourselves.

The training there was almost nonexistent and all of my coworkers didn't seem to know anything. I felt like I was the only one who really cared about the children, but I was the one who was treated poorly.

I DO NOT recommend you work in OR take your children to KidZone at Green Ridge Recreation Center.

If you do, prepare to be treated poorly and only work nights because the manager only has the same two people working in the morning - even though morning hours ARE NOT FULL TIME HOURS. NOT fair for everyone else.
The room is very unsanitary and I'm worried for the safety and well-being of the children. I hate to be leaving them in the hands of teenagers who talk to each other instead of watching the children because they're friends with each other in high school outside of work.
I hope the manager gets replaced - maybe then I'll come back.
Pros
Love most of the children
Cons
Horrible management, low pay, awful coworkers, barely any hours
Excellent management with a cool break room
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJune 19, 2018
The most enjoyable part of my day is when I get to walk into work and open the kid zone and there is a line of kids waiting for me to open it for them. I love to make the kids smile and have fun while they are there playing in the pool. My favorite kids to make smile are the babies because of there adorable little giggles.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
short breaks
Enjoyable work
Marketing Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAJanuary 17, 2018
I enjoyed working for Roanoke County. It was interesting work. I would recommend it to others. The work was challenging at times. The manager was not the greatest.
A very friendly, fun, and relaxing place to work.
Former Custodian for roanoke county (Former Employee) –  Hidden Valley Middle, Administration Building,November 2, 2017
I've worked with both Roanoke County and thru GCA. With the county system my assignment ended and was never called back. Lost my job/w GCA due to my mothers passing. Tried again with the company but my attitude i had dealing with my moms death someone within Roanoke County Administration told GCA not to hire me.
Pros
Utilities my skills while learning new ones.
Cons
Poor pay wages.
I love every moment of it
Best Buy Greek squad (Former Employee) –  VirginiaOctober 13, 2017
It's was. Great and the people where to I enjoy the moment I had with them and we had great moment some where better then after but all and all the work was great
Pros
Great people and the very understanding
Cons
Won't any
enjoyed working outdoors
Golf Course Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VASeptember 19, 2017
enjoyed working outdoors - it was a job - that's about it -- it was a job - the pay was lousy- but I did enjoy being out there cutting the grass
Pros
nothing offered
Cons
nothing offered
Stressful vs. Stress Less
Surplus Auction Administrator (Current Employee) –  Roanoke, VAAugust 2, 2017
During my years for Fire and Rescue every day was fun but very stressful from the hours worked to the administrative expectations to the not knowing what type of 911 call was next.
These days since the work related career ending injury the level of stress is minimal, each day with no pressure no anxiety is the pro and the con is working alone and not much interaction with other folks.
Pros
See above statement
Cons
See above statment
Good benefits
MEO1 (Former Employee) –  Salem, VAJune 28, 2017
Great benefits, but cut throat atmosphere lack of communication and even when proof was given that i was an innocent bystander i still was written up over someone who quit.
Fun Job but the Rules Weren't Followed
Activity Leader (Former Employee) –  Roanoke, VAMarch 29, 2017
As a activity leader you are sent to schools with other activity leaders and a supervisor. The job itself was great however, I was often left alone with most of the kids, which was not allowed. Other rules and guidelines weren't followed and it put me in an uncomfortable position as well as the kids in danger sometimes.
Not too tight or lose on rules.
Scorekeeper/Clock keeper (Former Employee) –  Vinton, VAMarch 10, 2017
The company was not too tight on their rules. I would have to follow a few rules, but not too many where it was too strick. All they had to do is tell me how to do it, quickly showed me, and let me start. The hardest part of the job would be the patents and some of the coaches, on bad, trying to tell me I was doing everything wrong, but that was only when they were losing.
Pros
It was always close to me, and had good timing with my schedule.