Rochester Electronics LLC Employee Reviews

The entire staff at REI created a very supportive, caring, focused working environment from top manangement down.
Archives Administrator (Former Employee) –  Newburyport, MAOctober 26, 2018
A typical day at work was stress free yet focused. At REI I learned about the semiconductor industry from a documentation, design archive point of view. Upper management created a collaborative, focused workplace culture and truly cares about their employees. The hardest part of this job was leaving and the most enjoyable was working with such a great team. The most challenging part was keeping up with the work load.
Pros
Great team of people, great benefits
Good co-workers
Assembler I (Former Employee) –  Newburyport, MAOctober 17, 2018
I had good co-workers who were patient in training me, and they were pleasant people. However, the training was spotty, and I was
shuffled from place to place, which did not give me the opportunity to fully learn anything beneficial to the position.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
poor management, poor communication
Depends if your manager likes you
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Newburyport, MAOctober 13, 2018
You can get fired if your manager doesn't like you, even if you're the most productive person in your department and prove this to multiple people. They will ignore the issue and do whatever is easiest for them.
Pros
You don't need to work hard if your manager likes you
Cons
Everything depends on whether or not your manager likes you
Long Term Employee - Sales
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Newburyport, MAApril 9, 2018
Company is micro managed. Ownership is unaware of management’s behavior towards employees. Infrequent increases, incentives, or merit raises given. Incentives motivate sales reps, who are critical to drive top-line results. They withhold increases in hopes the employee will resign voluntarily. Management focused on personal financial gain. Long term employees unappreciated. Select employee's are favored.
Advice to Management
Treat your employees with more respect and admiration and maybe they will work a little bit harder. I feel inclined to warn others and would not want an innocent hard working person to experience something so unrewarding.
Pros
Landscaping and Benefits
Cons
Company is micro managed, Ownership is unaware of management’s behavior towards employees, Infrequent increases, incentives, or merit raises given, They withhold increases in hopes the employee will resign voluntarily, Management focused on personal financial gain, Long term employees unappreciated, Select employee's are favored.
Not Bad
Picker/Operator (Former Employee) –  Newburyport, MA 01950July 7, 2017
They are a good place that hires from within, has excellent benefits, and are constantly growing. It is definitely job security if you want to stay, and can't beat the medical/dental.
Laid back company, but with unrealistic expectations
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Newburyport, MAJanuary 16, 2017
Typical day varies depending on job. Management needs improvement, and most the company lacks communication. Company is divided in some instances
Great potential growth, but hancuffed
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Newburyport, MAJuly 5, 2016
I enjoyed my first 1-1.5 years there. It is a privately owned company that had been very successful with its niche market for over 32 years. They have decided to move into in-house manufacturing to supplement operations, instead of outsourcing it all. Sales personnel make great progress in finding new business.

However, recommendations supplied by hourly and salaried people are not implemented by managers unless those ideas come from managers.
Decisions are often made by managers unfamiliar with the new processes or without considering information from more experienced employees and engineers; even though they were hired for that expertise.
Information sharing is not a strong point in the organization.

The hierarchy is like the military; lower ranked individuals in the Org Chart don't have direct input to or contact with other managers or supervisors in meetings. All info is filtered to other managers or staff by your manager.
Company control lies in the hands of 3 or 4 upper management managers below the level of the owners.
Everything is done for show; as long as it looks good.
There is a lot of wasted time tying up management in daily and weekly meetings.

Very impressive physical settings for the work campus. But, the facilities are inefficiently operated. There is extensive expensive outsourcing of maintenance activities.
Management is very slow to change, even though the corporate goals state otherwise.

Interdepartmental cooperation and support for new manufacturing efforts is adversarial.
The company goals for the future are admirable, but are not
  more... shared equitably and uniformly.
Employees are retained At Will. There are no lay-offs, but the turnover is high at all levels, They do not use a system of progressive warnings for discipline. A recent employee suggestion box implementation was poorly executed and implemented without resolution to those that participated.

Be prepared to use old equipment that can be purchased cheaply and be retrofitted/refitted/repaired/reused/repurposed/retrained with little manufacturer's equipment support, as opposed to newer more expensive equipment that will work immediately.
Pros
Great benefits. Good working conditions.
Cons
Management heirarchy is too rigid. Management staff has poor people skills.
A great environment with good moral
Sales operations and customer service (Former Employee) –  Newburyport, MAJanuary 20, 2016
I enjoy working at Rochester Electronics.
I process all sales orders and return items.
The management has changed quite rapidly since I started but they always have someone on board with experience and expertise.
The hardest part of my job is it can be tedious. I like the challenge of multi tasking and creativity.
I enjoy working with others, working independantly and also providing assistance.
Pros
Great comaradity excellent benefits, close to home.
Cons
No flexibiity, low pay
Decent company, no job security
Senior Account Executive: Global OEM Manufacturing (Former Employee) –  Newburyport, MAJanuary 29, 2015
Rochester Electronics has a niche within the semiconductor industry where they provide world's most comprehensive solution for mature and end-of-life semiconductors and they are the only manufacturer that is dedicated to ongoing support of critically needed semiconductors for the entire lifecycle.

Typical work day is 8am to 5pm in a fast paced environment.

Rochester likes to keep their Inside Sales people in the same role for 4-5 years, and opportunity for advancement within the sales department is few and far between.

Overall, a great product offering with a strong client base.
Pros
Gym on site, great cafeteria
Cons
Account overload, difficult internal CRM system
I would like to work in an office or hospital environment
Shipping Specialist (Current Employee) –  Newburyport, MANovember 19, 2014
I receive sales orders, fill or 2nd check them to ensure accuracy before boxing, processing on computer to ship. I work with a team
and enjoy my fellow employees. The company has excellent health benefits. We have a gym on site which I use during my hour lunch
break. Overtime is available on a daily basis.
Pros
8-5pm hours, gym, nice people to work with.
Cons
low pay, minimal raises, environment.
slave factory
cleaning (Former Employee) –  Newburyport, maNovember 5, 2014
Slave factory, use your own vehicle to go between buildings, too much work for the pay! No appreciation and the office people are the biggest slobs!
benefits
Cons
everything
Fast growing company
WAREHOUSE OPERATIONS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Newburyport MAOctober 20, 2014
Great benefits, growing and expanding into new areas of the obsolete/discontinued electronics industry, many opportunities to grow within the company. Management style and employee motivation techniques could use improvement.
Productive and relaxed, results-driven work enviornment.
Finance Department (College Intern) (Former Employee) –  Newburyport, MAJuly 10, 2014
As a college intern working part-time, I was able to learn and gain an understanding of the logistics behind corporate finance long-before I was ever taught that material in the classroom. As a result, I felt as though I was prepared and ahead of the curve when it came to exams and in comparison to my classmates. The professionals I worked with there were bright, intelligent individuals who were more than accommodating when it came to taking extra time to teach me not only what we were doing, but why.
Yuppie Cult
Test Operator (Former Employee) –  Newburyport. MaJune 14, 2014
Worked on the test floor for 10 months. Supervisor was a very unprofessional chauvinistic person. I was hired to work 2nd shift, with a 6-8 week first shift training schedule, I was ambitions to pass the quality tests so that I could make the move to 2nd Shift. as it is what suited my family better. Well After 8 weeks I was asking to be tested every day for the test. After 3 months I was finally given the test. And I passed it with a 100%. After this I assumed there would be a week or two of transition, before I was moved to the shift I was hired to work. After another month or so, I was told I would need to take the test AGAIN! I did indeed pass it again, only to wait 2 months before going on 2nd shift.
Set all that aside. The semi conductor testing equipment in this facility vary in age, most is 30+ years old and very antiquated. So much so that they employ a small army of "Test Maintenance Crew" there job is to Micky mouse the equipment and scour the internet trying to find replacement parts for equipment that has not been manufactured in 20 years. They are literally held together with tape and rubber bands.
Pros
Beifit package is Amazing
Cons
To many to list...run away.
Not a great place to work.
Test Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Newburyport, MAMarch 25, 2014
Not a great culture
Management constantly in-fights
Old school work environment. Dress code and music played over inter-comm ALL DAY, EVERY DAY.
Organized and Fun Workplace
Intern (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Newburyport, MAAugust 13, 2013
Fast paced atmosphere with an edge. The fun part is the gym at the company's main campus and it's Captain Rochester comic stuff.
Stable, technically challenging place to work with great healthcare benefits
Analog Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Newburyport, MAJuly 16, 2013
Rochester Electronics is a stable, private company that prides itself on being the leaders "on the trailing edge" of technology. The facilities are top notch, with an indoor fitness center at its headquarters with full private showers and changing rooms. The healthcare benefits and profit-matching programs are second-to-none.
Pros
Great healthcare benefits, profit-sharing, on-site gym, numerous company functions
Cons
Vacation and holidays are below industry standards, non-flexible hours, limited growth opportunities, and poor review system
good job
Shipping/Receiving specialist (Former Employee) –  Newburyport, MAJuly 1, 2013
I enjoyed working here and was a good company. good environment and great coworkers.
Productive and good place to work, many employee events
Senior Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Newburyport, MAJune 4, 2013
• Developed and expanded business in strategic accounts in all major market segments; Military, Medical, Commercial, Technology and Industrial.
• Delivered effective sales presentation to semiconductor buyers through cold calling, on site meetings and trade shows. .
• Demonstrated leadership by providing strategic direction and management guidance to the inside sales team.
• Instrumental in training new sales representatives on company practices and developing sales skills.
• Recruited to develop, implement and manage a strategic marketing plan for a start up organization called Trusted Components that provides customs inventory management solutions for leading OEM and contract manufacturers in the semiconductor industry
Pros
Healthcare, 401K match
Cons
Compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rochester Electronics LLC. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about