Rochester Public Schools Employee Reviews

Fun and productive place
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 14, 2019
The day was usually filled with activities with the kids that included reading, playing outside, snack time, and free play time. The work shift was an 8 hour day with some overtime.
Wouldn't Recommend
Staff Development (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 13, 2019
The workplace culture is toxic and it starts from the highest levels of the organization. Fear of being replaced (even from top-level administrators) promotes a distrustful, competitive, environment that does not value a work/home life balance.
Amazing place to work
Para Professional (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 11, 2019
Absolutely loved working for the school district they are such amazing people. The only downside is there is not a lot of room for advancement and the pay is to low.
Great Place to Work
Early Childhood Screening Nurse (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 10, 2019
I really have enjoyed by time working for the Rochester Public Schools. The only reason I am leaving is because we are moving. I had great leadership and supportive co-workers.
Good place to work if you're looking to be an educator.
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNSeptember 6, 2018
Rochester public schools is a good place to work if you want to be in education. But as a paraprofessional there, my pay just wasn't enough to justify working there 30 hours a week.
Excellent work environment depending on the school you are at
SPECIAL EDUCATION WORK COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Mayo High SchoolAugust 20, 2018
Enjoyed my 17 years the last 9 at Mayo High School. Excellent special education department Great special ed teachers at Mayo. Mainstream teachers very supportive
Benefits
Cons
Administration
friendly but passive
Minority Liaison (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJuly 24, 2018
I think that the district is trying to solve the achievement gap here for our children, but it is at a slow pace. The monthly pay period is a real problem for most staff and will continue to be a real reason for the turnover and retention of quality educators. My typical setting day consist of visiting multiples schools where I would work with specific groups of students on goal setting, decision making and behavior modification. The environments within the district are pleasant and the hardest part of my job is adjusting to the monthly pay period. The rate of pay for the job I perform is undervalued if compared to the same job in The Twin Cities, but I've worked hard to make the needed adjustments. The educators and students in our district are great and this is my reason for continuing my employment here.
Pros
relaxed environment, kind people and acknowledge hardworkers
Cons
slow to change, passive and poor pay period
good place to work
Operations Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNJuly 22, 2018
on bad weather days, I came in early to clear sidewalks and doorways. Then having a 1st class boiler license I did daily maintenance on them. From there I would get on the heating and air software and make sure all vents and pipe valves were open or closed correctly. plus look at activity schedule for events and go set them up . and the rest of the day do scheduled maintenance and preventive maintenance . while keeping a radio presence for unseen problems
Pros
seems to come nateral to me
Cons
busted pipes or toilets
special needs
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNJuly 19, 2018
I really like my job I work with special ed children and it is so rewarding every day they are truly amazing people. My job is hard because of the behaviors the kids have and there are times that you can get hurt. Working for the school district is a really nice place to work it can be stressful but that can be at every job. I have learned to have lots of patience working with special needs children they are very important and need extra time to process.
Pros
Having the special needs children look up to you and smile
Cons
Behaviors that are bad
Inovative Staff
Mn Part-Time (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNJuly 18, 2018
Working as staff you have to punch a clock. That is a bit new to my experience but helps the payroll folks.
The school needs extra help with special ed; its something that requires extra training (not provided.)
Pros
Most schools ar in near by neighborhoods
Cons
My school was on the further reaches of town.
Descent pay due to large district
Special Education (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNJuly 5, 2018
Workplace culture really could use a change in mindset. They bring in great speakers but very few of the educators and staff take the initiative to change and be forward thinking.
Depends where you're placed
Educator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMay 6, 2018
The staff and students play a huge part in the atmosphere in the classroom and building. Best, great kids, hardest, inexperienced teachers (behaviors)
Pros
Having summers off
Cons
Pay is good, but could never live on wages.
Ok
Teacher and case manager (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 30, 2018
They're OK. Decent pay and benefits, and mostly good working conditions. There are many sites at the elementary, middle school, and senior high levels, and the ability to transfer is helpful.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits.
Cons
Lots of office politics.
Fun atmosphere
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNApril 2, 2018
I worked with several Kindergarten classrooms helping children play math and reading learning games. I worked in the lunchroom and on the playground. All staff members were approachable and friendly
Excellent School System
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 2, 2018
I loved working in the classrooms as well as one on one with the students. Excellent teachers. Loved working side by side with each teacher. The students were the best!
Not welcoming; high turnover and lack of quality
EBD LD Sped Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNMarch 1, 2018
Pros
Pay
Insurance Benefits
Life Insurance
Teacher Calendar

Cons
Principals find faults in sped teacher
Lack of any planning time
Sped forced to take students during own lunch time
Not enough hours in a school day to get everything done to their expectations
Scripted curriculum in sped and does not offer flexibility to meet student at their level like sped teachers are required to do.
All behaviors are sped teachers fault.

Still high turnover and issues. Per my spouse and friends who have let the district because of these issues and more.
Poor pay
Grounds Crew (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNFebruary 24, 2018
Lack of pay increase. Bullied when administration wants you to leave. Poor union leadership. Unprofessional administration that are way over paid. I would have expected better from the 2nd largest employer in Rochester.
Pros
Hours of work during summer
Cons
Lack of a schedule during winter
Helping kids
ParaProfessional (ASD) (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNFebruary 20, 2018
This was a great job for understanding what type of career to go in to. Paraprofessional is not for everyone, but only for those who are caring and patient.
Pros
Lots of time off
Cons
Short hours, low wage
Punitive with no support
Teacher (Former Employee) –  MNFebruary 17, 2018
Change in entire administration needs to happen. No support to those doing the daily interactions with kids. Lack of communication across the board. Parents have no clue what actually goes on in their child’s school... scary
Benefits
Cons
Stressful
Poor vocational investment
Educator/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNDecember 5, 2017
Poor vocational investment. More often than not, authoratative managenent does NOT support employees. Not uncommon to lose your position right before tenure, or if you are stuck with a tough class/violent student you may experience little support. Asking for help could mean the end of your job. Also, vast differences in opportunities for both staff and students depending on specific school locations within the District.