Rocketship Education Employee Reviews in San Jose, CA

Summary
School Psychologist Team Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 5, 2018
I learned a lot through their model of providing coaching to all employees. I loved the work culture and I loved my co-workers. Like anywhere, there were a few people who were there for the wrong reasons and made my work less enjoyable. Overall I really enjoyed my time at Rocketship and I will be returning when the year is up.
Pros
Development, benefits, inspiring, rewarding
Cons
Others not pulling their weight
Kindergarten STEM Teacher
Kindergarten Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 11, 2017
This position has really challenged the way in which I approach education. Creating a positive mindset in a job in which it is easy to focus on the stress took practice. The outcome however, really made the hours of work with students, parents, and preparation worth it. Seeing my student's growth within a year made my many efforts worth it. This job requires a lot of patience and helps you figure out in which areas you can grow professionally.
Pros
Supportive staff/teams, great health benefits, amazing professional culture
Cons
Long preparation time
Stressful place to work
Elementary Longterm Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 25, 2017
My background is with school districts not charter school systems. This was a mismatch for me. The hours are extremely long even for a substitute position. The schools are very small for the number of students present. The number of days for PD's are much more than a traditional district. Vacation time is less because of this.
Pros
friendly people, healthcare
Cons
top-down management with little professional trust
Teachers not a priority
STEM Educator (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 7, 2015
At Rocketship, there is a lot said about teacher retention, but with demanding hours and goals, little is done.

The demands of the "Network" are put heavily on administrators who in turn must convey these demands to their teachers and staff, creating a toxic environment at times.
energetic and fun work environment with many young students
Response to Intervention Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 9, 2013
A typical day of work was actually quite routine; there is a whole ritual the students are used to because the after-school program was an extension of their daily routine. Students gathered in a circle, had a snack, an activity, recite their creed, and then get dismissed to go off into their smaller groups. I taught two groups of four students every week after school and tutored literacy to help the students read at grade level. The co-workers were mostly college-aged students and were very fun to work with. The hardest part of the job was having to plan individualized lesson plans for each class weekly, and sometimes the students would have behavioral problems. The most enjoyable part of the job was the rewarding feeling one receives after seeing your students improve reading levels and having a proud look on their faces.
Pros
great kids, fun environment
Cons
not a lot of hours