Rockler Companies, Inc.

• Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Supportive environment
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Ability to learn new things
  • General feeling of work happiness

Productive, fun workplace. Smaller company feel, everybody knows everybody.

I love the company culture at Rockler. I felt comfortable from the first day and have a lot of coworkers who I not only work really well with, but am pretty good friends with.

Retail company going through dynamic growth

Rockler is a friendly positive retail organization with 40 store locations and a large catalog sales market. Rockler is growing significantly over the last few years. It is a great place to work.

Pros

Free lunches;

Poor Management

They make excuses for the poor workers, driving the good people away. The work is fine, pay is decent but not great, and coworkers are awesome. Management just isn't up to par with anywhere else I have worked. HR issues aren't taken seriously and women don't feel safe in the distribution center.

Benefits

Cons

Great people doing what they love

Talented, friendly and hard working people. People helped each other out and reached across departments. Those in the offices helped the warehouse and vice versa. Many of the people working there were very knowledgeable about woodworking and their passion showed. They believed in the product and their work. You could talk with anyone at any level, there were no egos. Pre-covid the company had fun events for the employees.

Pros

Nice co-workers, Informal Dress

Cons

Better check-in system needed

Company is retailer for hobbyists of which I was part

Employee events scheduled once a month. Ample Parking. Clean warehouse and office. Commute to Outer ring suburb is convenient Confidence in Senior Management

Pros

Employee Discounts

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

EXTREMELY Poor Management

People are promoted to management without any management training resulting in horrible bosses. The turnover for the corporate office is at a very high rate because it's all about who you know at Rockler. If you're not "in", you're OUT. They will do everything in their power to make your life miserable and make you leave if they can't quite fire you. Employees continually stab other employees in the back. If you get a raise at Rockler, consider yourself one of the very lucky ones. The culture at Rockler's corporate office needs some serious work but, unfortunately, upper management and executives are happy with the way it is because they benefit. Salaried employees average about 25 hours each week while hourly employees are made to work every single second of their 40-hour work week. Some employees are allowed to work from home and come and go as they please while management will tell other employees they have to come into the office every day. Oh, of course those same managers work from home whenever they want. I have worked a lot of places in my life and Rockler was one of the absolute worst.

Pros

A few nice people to work with

Cons

Horrible management, good ol' boys club, back stabbing, no respect, offensive language

Same as previuse

This would be the same as my previous review of Rockler Companies. The Company has a lot of potential but would benefit by listening to their store managers.

Fast Paced and a lot of movement

The job is pretty fast paced when working in the pick mod, the other departments are fast paced as well but you label the non conveyable and conveyable items yourself with the labels that are printed out before. There is a lot of movement throughout the day so you stay active all day and if working in the pick mod you reach and bend down to get product.

Pros

Fast Paced, There are some Great people to work with, Ot

Cons

Some Long days, Some peoples Attitudes are not great

Great workers and morning shift

Fast paced working environment and some amazing employees work there. Management was decent, not the worst I worked with and they do appreciate all their workers. I didn't like how you never knew how long you were working. Some shifts were 7 1/2 and some were 10 and you didn't know until after 10 in the morning. It's hard to plan a schedule around that. I also don't think the pay is worth the work, a lot of associates there work so hard and I think they deserved more then they were getting paid. Other then that, it was a great place to work. They treated you like family and always joked around with you.

Pros

Emoloyees, family feel work place

Cons

Unsure how long you would be working, low pay

Benefits were great. Room for advancement. People were like my family. I would go back there, but I moved to far away. The pay was fair. They offered over time. They hired in house before looking outside.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Stressful job

A great place that cares about its employees

My day at work had a fair amount of stress given my responsibilities, but the atmosphere was friendly and as long as you do your job there won't be any complaints. Only negative thing I have to say is inter-departmental communication seemed to be lacking a bit.

Pros

Room for movement within company

Awesome place to work

Amazing place to work, great workplace culture. I wish i started there sooner. The best thing about the place is the opportunity to advance if you stick it out. Many of the employees have been there 15+ years. Low turnover rate.

What you should know about Rockler including wild turkey safety.

We've all heard of companies where you have coworkers sleeping in their cubical and others who have no real job and just wander around. Employees who don't have the skills for the job but don't get fired somehow. Well Rockler is such a company, even better your bonus at the end of the year is tied to the company performance not your individual performance. If you are still reading this there are many things to love about Rockler and many to cringe at. Rockler could blossom into one of those golden companies to work at where people are eager to move out to live closer to it, or it could continue driving capable people away. A typical day for an E-Commerce Content Specialist: is probably vastly different than my day was since things were in transition when I left and the recent hires weren't requiring the same skill set. That being said if you consider a position here get your compensation INCLUDING VPN access or any agreements about flexibility in schedule signed in writing from whoever offers it to you before you sign the paper work. The contract you sign is generic so if you don't have it in writing make sure HR adds it. (HR is fun, bring snacks if you want to bribe them.) Seriously though I wasn't the only one who didn't get what I was agreed upon after I started. Tip: Once hired make sure you get to know other departments, one issue I had was that I was restricted in communication cross department. The solution was to ignore my manager and talk to people directly anyway. It's much easier to know what is happening if you just go down and ask. Do not be afraid to -

Pros

Lots of parking, semi-flexible schedule, really fun HR, approachable VPs, laid back dress code, aggressive turkey, some wonderful coworkers

Cons

Managers sabotaging others, coworkers grossly poor job, low pay rate, no place to progress to, pressure NOT to take 15s, inter-department fighting, underperforming equipment, crazy vpn restrictions

Lots of great people but no place to advance to

There are some great people, however there are also people who seem to set out to sabotage others. Unfortunately this overwhelmingly negative nature that a handfull of individuals exhibit gets down played rather than corrected. Could be much more successful as a company if they held individuals responsible. Bonuses and raises are dependent on company performance so the person sleeping 2 cubicles over wins since they get their bonus while you work hard to help meet goals. Pay is good for Hamel / Medina but lower than 15 minutes away. Small / mid sized with no growth opportunities. Great wellness and some company fun things like food on occasion. Potential if they figure out how to cleanse poor performers and stop those who sabotage projects.

Pros

Great wellness program, business casual, lots of great people

Cons

Job inconsistent with what was promised, no position to move up to, work place politics

family friendly and trying to grow

As a growing company there is never a dull day at Rockler. I have learned a lot during my time there, like learning the basics of all spots in a warehouse. Although, management is not fully controlled. There is a lot of miscommunication, and misdirection. The hardest part of the job was knowing how many hours I would work on a certain day. Hard to plan personal or familial appointments around. The most enjoyable part of the job were the co-workers.

Highly productively environment, good atmosphere, people friendly.

Daily pick & pack orders accurately and efficiently. End of day clean surrounding area.

Pros

30 min lunch break

Cons

short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rockler Companies, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Rockler Companies, Inc.
  • Medina, MN
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?