Rockwell Development Center Employee Reviews

Great Stepping Stone.
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Mooresville, NCJune 4, 2019
RDC is a great stepping stone for the mental health field. If you want to know if working with children in any degree of the psychological field is for you, working at a group home is great! If you can get past the upper management. There’s very little communication, but it’s getting better, KINDA! Upper management can be manipulated by other coworkers, and will cover up for their favorite staff. The owner is great, but struggles with saying things appropriately and being PC.
Do not work here
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCFebruary 6, 2019
There are no benefits - no PTO, dental, vision, health insurance. Managers ask you to work very long shifts and ask you to pick up shifts but will not help employees when asked. Management is terribly unorganized and chaotic. The clients are the least of the stress at this company.
Pros
Cons
Benefits, Management, Disorganization, Chaotic, Unethical
It's Ok
Para-Professional (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCMarch 14, 2018
If you love interacting with kids, and want to make some decent money this would be a decent place to work. However, it can get overwhelming at times. They have a high turnover rate. I did enjoy my time there and the people I met, but there are a lot of things that could be improved in the work environment.
Pros
Able to work many hours in one week pretty fast
Cons
24 hour shifts, no breaks
There are always issues that need to be fixed, rotating door, company in transition
Direct Care Staff (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCMarch 4, 2018
The company sells a dream about team work and a productive place, but upper management rarely sees the team or know whats going on in the houses. This job is definitely one for those who care about their clients and not the pay. You will get burned out. They expect you to know whats going on without any communication. The houses need updating in multiple areas. They have cliques and pick favorites among staff. There is a double standard with the rules and who can bend them in.The rules change depending on who you are and who likes you. You can tell they don't value their staff because it is a rotating door. The pay is not worth what you have to go through, there are no benefits. Every time a new round of people come in the schedules get messed up and older staff end up working ridiculous hours because they promise a schedule that is flexible which it is not. The owners didn't even know who was working for them. If you have an emergency or sudden illness you are expected to still show up to work or find coverage last minute, which is impossible because people don't want to come in when they aren't scheduled. The client's payout has periods where it is off or not available and it makes it harder for direct care staff. Upper management doesn't give direct care staff or the clients any explanation of what is happening. They don't care about or appreciate their employees, but this environment is one that needs team work, communication, and respect. They expect you to bend over backwards for little to nothing. They stopped doing the payroll summaries, which aren't pay stubs, and  more... you don't get paid for sleep shifts on your 24 hour shifts to save money for them. The staff make things more difficult than they need to be and they make it more stressful than the kids. The management in the house have so much to do that they are almost always stressed out. The training doesn't cover everything you will be doing on the job and most people don't know what is supposed to be done. Guidelines and deadlines are unclear.  less
Pros
job experience
Cons
long hours low pay, toxic work environment
Only had an internship.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCDecember 18, 2017
I only had an internship, so I can't really say much but the atmosphere there was chaotic and everything was disorganized. Pay isn't great and turnover was very high.
Helping Children
Site Manager (Current Employee) –  Mooresville, NCNovember 19, 2017
Monitoring client's getting them ready for the day. Therapeutic groups, grocery shopping, processing with client's, filing & paperwork. Supervision of staff, set daily goals.
Pros
advancement
Cons
no brakes
Good place to make a difference
MUSIC THERAPIST (Current Employee) –  Mooresville, NCOctober 21, 2017
The residents at Rockwell are so special. It is a great place to be a positive for someone who needs it. Very nice management. I wish there were more day time hours available, but that's the nature of the clients they serve.
Good place
Behavioral Specialist Counselor (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCMarch 22, 2017
Very nice home for the youth very family owned the pay is ok the offer sleep staff witch is ok would work here again part time..........................
Gratifying job and company.
Lead Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCJanuary 23, 2017
I was a residential Counselor who worked closely with other employees as well as the residents. We learned something on a daily basis as something new occurred on a daily basis. The hardest part of my job here was breaking up disagreements between the residents. However the most enjoyable part of my job here was watching the residents grow and overcome their personal obstacles. They made me proud to help them.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Nights and weekends.
Rdc
Residential Counselor/Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCApril 22, 2015
loved working with those kids that was the only highlight of the job for Worked hard went the extra mile was not appreciated.
Non productive
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCOctober 21, 2014
Management wants you to work all day with having a life of your own. No real training and you learn as you go. No room for advancement and when you do advance they're fire you. Never become a site manager they want your life to revolve around Rockwell.
Cons
Money maker for the owners
Better Job at McD's (Former Employee) –  NeighborhoodApril 29, 2013
I live in the same neighborhood. Never had any problems until Rockwell Developement Center arrived. 1st told everyone it would be 12 and under kids, now a bunch of teenagers that have never been taught proper english. 2nd was told state required staff to watch them 24 hrs a day, yeah right. Kids under 18 smoking at the side of the house, never see staff. Wander around the neighborhood and usually about 15 min later staff comes out and then begins to look. Cops show up now on a regualer basis. Hardly ever see upper management. They were set up, girls at one locations and boys at another, now you see them together a lot, staff just as imature as the kids. Its a Sham.....Owners appear to be in this for the money from the neighborhood stand point.
Pros
Not any
Cons
Con it is a con
A great company to work for....
Staff (Former Employee) –  MooresvilleFebruary 7, 2013
In my experience Rockwell is a great company to work for. They look to move people up in management roles that have proven themselves as hardworkers. The compensation is good based on similar organizations. The Directors, management and staff are great, even though they do appear overwhelmed at times with the amount of work that goes into the program. The program itself is great and rewards kids for positive behaviors using the love and logic program.
Pros
great program!
Cons
work hours can be unpredictable
Engaging, Inspiring, and Fulfilling
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  MooresvilleFebruary 7, 2013
Rockwell Development Center has a professional highly-educated management team that strives to meet the needs of each consumer on an individualized basis. Rockwell was a wonderful place to work and taught me many things that I continue to utilize in my Mental Health career. While I worked at Rockwell I witnessed many clients complete the program successfully and discharge home to their families who could not thank Rockwell employees enough for all they had done. I read the review above and can only assume it was not an amicable split between them and the company. My experience and the referrals I receive from many other agencies are the exact opposite. Rockwell encourages all employees to use a set of techniques derived from Love and Logic, PBS, and CBT to deescalate clients instead of restraining them. Restraints were always a last resort and only for the safety of the client or someone else. Therapy was done several times a week by trained therapists and treatment plans were developed and implemented by educated and trained professionals not by Residential Counselors. I do find it appalling that the former employee wrote that the one pro was free food since the food was for the clients NOT staff!
Pros
helping adolescents
Cons
nothing
Disgrace to children's home
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCJanuary 8, 2013
The establishment wasn't well run. They never followed the plan of action. Upper management wanted you to do the restraints but not that many. They bribed the kids to get them to do what they wanted. No therapy what so ever that worked. Tried to get some plans implemented that worked and when I went off shift for three days the other staff never followed the plans. I loved the kids but other staff didn't care and owner who didn't care about the kids at all. They were just a tax write off to her.
Pros
free food
Cons
having to put up with upper management