Rodale Employee Reviews

Healthy Work Life Balance
Director of Video Custom Content (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2018
Rodale was a great company to work for with a positive mission in the world. They encouraged a healthy work/life balance. Rodale was recently acquired by Hearst.
Meaningful Yet Frustrating Experience
Sales & Marketing (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 12, 2018
Rodale has an incredible and admirable history, during which it launched iconic brands, and truly had integrity as a mission-based company. Sadly it's unlikely much of what made Rodale unique will be preserved by its new owners. The last 5 years were incredibly tumultuous and uncertain, making it a challenging and often frustrating place to work. People were in a constant state of desperation to save the business and many were (and are still) only concerned with their own self-preservation and promotion. Quality of management ran the gamut; Rodale had some of the best, and some of the worst leaders. Overall, happy to have had the opportunity to be there and be a part of something bigger and more important than a bottom line.
If I could have retired from Rodale, I would have
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PANovember 20, 2017
If I could have retired from Rodale, I would have. It was my first job in Pennsylvania. I enjoyed my co-workers and my managers. I have no complaints.
Editorial staff often trumps creative staff when it comes to art treatment of the magazine.
Creative for Men's Health Magazine (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 19, 2017
Editorial staff has little understanding of art conceptualization, and the fact that they are located in rural Pennsylvania and the creative team is located in New York City is also problematic.

Nevertheless, it is a pleasant place to work on a day to day basis. All good people who are very passionate about their contribution to the magazine and the magazine's mission.

Being a magazine, very fast-paced and ideas and concepts constantly evolving, changing right up to the last minute.
Pros
Upper management creates events where the entire company is able to take a break and socialize, friendliness of staff and management, fairly generous benefits and compensation, nice office environment, convenient location (New York office), promotions from within.
Cons
Relaxed rural location of editorial staff sometimes clashes with fast-paced New York office.
Rodale Review
Senior Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Emmaus, PANovember 6, 2017
Rodale is great place to work. The people and culture provide opportunities for creative thinking and inspirational ideas that provide employees with a very enjoyable work environment.
Nice People and Good Intentions
Associate Director of Facilities Management (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2017
Great mission statement but too little, too late approach on technology has put the company in a compromising position. Great work / life balance. Generous PTO, Decent benefits. Fun and nice people to work with.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Emmaus, PAOctober 3, 2017
I really enjoyed working in the Single copy sales dept. My associates were great, but the business was going south and everyone was under extreme pressure trying to make sales quotas.
Rodale was a great company, hopefully they can keep going in this day and age of social media.
Pros
Great environment for health and well being
Cons
Social Media was taking over
Struggling & Poorly Managed
Consumer Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Emmaus, PASeptember 7, 2017
A business in a struggling industry with emotional management utilizing poor business practices has endangered the existence of this formerly great company.
Pros
Good pay with decent health benefits.
Cons
In the process of being sold -- No stability and Many recent layoffs
treated great everyone he;[ed in busy departments and people were easy-going
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAAugust 15, 2017
Rodale treated workers like part of a family. Somehow the work was always completed on time. In my department I learned many skills on my own without supervision. I read very much so I received a generous discount. I composed a mini-marketing plan explaining that Rodale was experimenting with organic farming in the 60's and they lost that special niche. I was called a woman in the marketing dept who said that she would run my ideas in the next meeting.
Pros
free books
Cons
deaths of co-workers
Wonderful Work Environment
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Emmaus, PAJuly 20, 2017
I really enjoy working for Rodale Inc. I have learned a lot in my position with the help of my co-workers. The hardest part of my job is reading the Royalty Contracts
Great people, hazy future
Annonymous (Former Employee) –  Emmaus, PAJuly 19, 2017
Great company that has recently taken a turn for the worse. There is no pathway for career advancement since layoffs have become the norm. Work life balance is good, although there is constant stress of losing one's job.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
Constantly worried about layoffs.
Rodale is a magazine media publishing company. with titles targeting the active, healthy lifestyle. I managed all non-endemic adveritising for Bicyc
Sale Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2017
Rodale is up for sale, and I no longer work there. While there i was specifically in charge of all non-endemic advertising efforts for Bicycling Magazine and Bicycling.com. It was once a great work environment.
Pros
culture
Cons
failing business, up for sale
Fun place to work
Master Photographer and Photo Director (Former Employee) –  Emmaus, PAJuly 6, 2017
Great company! There is a lot to learn at roadie.
hope they last a very very long time in emmaus pa.
The commute for me just got to be too long and I had to return to being freelance after a while.
Pros
Good vacation time
Cons
Commute from Harrisburg
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAAugust 17, 2016
Hands-on experience and independent working from management generous benefits. Worked with various products and 3rd party clients.
Pros
Free lunches and generous discounts
Cons
nothing
Fun place to work
Admininstrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 17, 2016
I wear so many hats that I don't have a typical day. It's whatever the dept needs.

I have learned alot about marketing since I do more than what my title requires.
Pros
Beauty Sales
Cons
Wage Increase does not reflect hard work
changing times in the media industry
Editor (Former Employee) –  Emmaus, PAJune 16, 2016
Rodale, the leader in the organic movement that stresses life balance has played a monumental part in the publishing industry. The company provides good work experience for young employees to hone their skills. However, job advancements are difficult to achieve. The continued departure of talented staff members who are leaders in their field should be a major concern for anyone considering employment.
Pros
Work-life balance, Company gym, HR is willing to rehire past employees who left because of budget cuts.
Cons
Constent reorganizational changes, Few opportunities for advancement, Unable to make changes to meet media needs
Awesome place to work.
Front-end developer (Former Employee) –  Emmaus, PAApril 1, 2016
Worked here from Sept 1995 to Jan 2015. Flexible hours. Fast paced, tight deadlines... A great place to work if you're a workaholic like me. Great on-the-job training. People are great. We all got along very well. Sometimes expected to learn new application on your own.
Pros
Loved going to work everyday.
Cons
Was laid off with little to no notice.
Positive Culture
Midwest Digital Sales Director (Current Employee) –  ChicagoMay 9, 2015
Most employees have a passion for health and wellness, which aligns with Rodale's corporate philosophy. I learned to effectively work with multiple stake holders within an organization, and customize advertising programs for clients based on pooling resources from throughout the company.
Wonderful place to work
Integrated Sales (Current Employee) –  Emmaus, PAJune 3, 2014
Company culture and management truly reflects key corporate values.
Healthy environment but publishing company going through transition
Managing Editor, Runner's World (Former Employee) –  Emmaus, PAMay 29, 2014
If magazine publishing is going through an awkward phase, Rodale is the pimple-faced teenager on the poster. The company has shed a lot of staff and gone through a series of leadership changes. While there are plenty of people still there creating amazing content, Rodale remains somewhat adrift at the moment.
Pros
Smart, talented co-workers and fun, healthy work environment
Cons
Still trying to figure out what kind of publishing company it wants to be