Roger Williams Park Zoo Employee Reviews

amazing place to work
Event Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 21, 2018
This job what not only very fun but it did teach me alot about customer service and also alot about how to interact in a work enviroment. The people are great and being able to see the animals on a daily basis you do develope bonds with every living creature.
Biased
Public Relations Specialist Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 6, 2018
I work at RWPZ as a volunteer so my opinion is probably much different than those that work there on a part time/ full time basis. I enjoy the culture there and a typical day is fun because you can see the positive impact you are making on the public.
Pros
Free admission
Cons
No pay
Great First Job
Visitor Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 9, 2018
Although the training was minimal, it's a simple job - selling tickets at the front window. You get a wide variety of customers, so it is very good customer service experience. The managers unfortunately were unable to work around my college hours, although they had asked what my hours were like previously, telling me they would honor that. You learn how to manage a cash drawer and how to deal with customers in a friendly, productive way.
Pros
Paid 30min lunches, friendly staff and management
Cons
no benefits, will not allow overtime, disregard people's schedules when asked
potential.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 28, 2017
It was great getting to work around lots of kids but they were more concerned with selling harmful balloon products that could end up in animal enclosures and thus weren't allowed in the zoo so they made me sell them outside zoo entrance.
Part Time at the Zoo
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 25, 2017
work at your own past and great people.
management is good at their job but not the best.
sometime one gets to be one's own boss for a day or two.
best part of working at the zoo is meeting new faces and seeing costumer enjoying themselves.
Pros
One's own boss as a maintenance crew member
Cons
Super hot in the winter and low pay hours
Fun work place
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIFebruary 2, 2016
I enjoyed working at the zoo even though it was only a month for their Halloween event.
The event only ran at night time so typically I would arrive at around 4 or 5 pm to help set up the camera equipment and green screen. At around 6 pm the event started, I would try to get guests to come take a photo in front of the green screen. The night would usually end at around 11:30-20:00 pm
Other co-workers were always friendly and ready to help.
You were always able to reach management even during the busiest hours. I never felt like I didn't belong.
The hardest part of the job I would say is when the line to get into the event was at a stand still. The guests would complain as if I could make the line move faster. I kept the smile on my face and tried to make funny or witty comments about photo taking.
The most enjoyable part of this job was seeing the groups of people taking silly photos and being so into this event. I loved all the creative poses people would do.
Over all, I learned that you just can't win over every person who comes through. No matter how polite you are some people are just having a bad day and you can't let that get you down. Just smile and enjoy your night
Fast paced and fun place to work
Special Events staff and bartender (Current Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 29, 2015
There really is no typical day when it comes to special events. However most of the time my position revolves around setting up a bar and making sure that I have enough kegs and taps, ice, beverages, napkins, etc. Then breaking down after the event, cleaning, and putting everything back where it belongs. The events can be anything including, but not limited to paint nights, baby showers, charity events, corporate gatherings, and also month long events like the Jack O' Lantern Spectacular, where as many as 10,000 people come through the gates in a single night! I always work directly under the general manager who is truly a pleasure to work for, and I learn a lot about planning and setting up special events especially because she is a perfectionist. Being very outgoing I love to socialize with patrons but one of the hardest parts for me is not allowing a person to drink if they do not have proper identification. Another hard part is having to be there late in the night in October and the beginning of November in freezing temperatures rain or shine. What I enjoy most is the fast paced environment and constantly being able to interact with others.
A productive and fun workplace inside the zoo.
Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJanuary 9, 2015
A typical day at work would be greeting guest with a smile and working as a cashier. On a typical day we would also clean the store. When I was working there I learn how to be more confident in myself and how to be a cashier.
Pros
In a zoo, Management
Cool scenary
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 3, 2014
This job was cool, laid back, free food, it did get hectic but working the carts and the little shops alone was the best because I worked alone and either people or animal watch. I recommend it good experience.
Pros
animals, free food, experience
Cons
seasonal
Love the animals
Manager of Interpretation (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIJuly 15, 2013
It's a great place to work if you love animals and the people are great. The pay was not enough to live on.
Pros
Wildlife values and environment
Cons
low pay

Want to know more about Roger Williams Park Zoo?

Ask a question
fun and enriching
Zoo Crew Teacher (Former Employee) –  Providenvce, RIJune 21, 2013
This was a volunteer position I did for several summers during high school
Fun place to work, great atmosphere ... good perks
Food Runner, Maintenance, Cook (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIDecember 15, 2012
Organization wasn't exactly there and sometimes there was a little favoritism, but overall awesome place to work.
Pros
free coffee :)
Cons
unorganized