Room & Board Employee Reviews

Horrific place to work.
Slave Driver (Former Employee) –  Billerica, MADecember 3, 2018
Make sure to drink the Room and Board kool-aid! This place truly believes it's own BS so be prepared to ride that train or drown. Zero career advancement opportunities and awful compensation.
Pros
They pay you every two weeks
Cons
Great place to work and wonderful team behind you
Delivery driver (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COOctober 10, 2018
Working for Room and Board was the most relaxing job I ever had. the only stress I ever had was the stress I created myself. The managers where always helpful and understanding when it came to work life balance. I would work there again in heart beat if they asked.
Pros
Great team, Great customers, Good pay., and Great benifits
Cons
Early mornings, No Vision care, sometimes long hours.
October 24, 2018

We're glad you enjoyed your time at Room & Board. Thank you for recognizing some of the benefits and positive experiences that are part of a Delivery Associate role.

Management was a joke.
Driver (Former Employee) –  CoSeptember 28, 2018
Lame, don't bother. Dead end job. Always checking emails and making calls. It's never do your job, it's more like do your job and everyone else's, working on the weekends blows. The floor change is in January and you start at 6pm, freezing cold out, don't get done til 4 am and THEN they want you back at 8 am!! Stupid!!! If you don't have a life you should work there.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Floor changes, working on Sunday starting at 6pm. Management didn't know what was going on.
October 25, 2018

We acknowledge that on occasion overtime is needed to meet the needs of the business. We hope that you found this to be rare, rather than the norm. Our consistent schedules are something our Delivery Associates value as well as receiving a guaranteed salary plus overtime pay.

Caring company
Delivery Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 17, 2018
After 8 years in several markets, I have seen the true nature of the company and they try more than any other I've worked for to live up to their values. I have had hard days, but overall the work has been well managed. The culture of the company is one of acceptance and collaboration, especially within the individual facilities. The job can be challenging at times, but the friendship and community that exists within the company is a good counter to even the worst situation you may deal with. "Team" is not a throw away word here.
October 24, 2018

It’s wonderful to hear how our company values are carrying through to each of our locations. Thank you for being a part of building that in our newer San Diego market.

No life balance!
Furniture Assembler (Former Employee) –  Moonachie, NJAugust 20, 2018
Be ready to stay till 1 o'clock in the morning in the winter, when trailers don't show up. Unloading, stripping and assembling furniture all day long
Pros
BBQ in the summer!
Cons
Bullying, favoritism, loud & dusty establishment
Overall, a great experience
DESIGN ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 13, 2018
I worked for Room & Board for about 4 years.
Prior to opening our store, we received fully-paid and compensated training for a full month, in their headquarters at Edina, MN.

My team saw very little turnover due to the great atmosphere. If sales and/or Design are not your thing, you probably would not enjoy it.
Pros
Great products, good benefits, care and good management
Cons
Not EXPLICITLY "comission" work, but, it is.
A nice place to work
Loader and Unloader (Former Employee) –  Lincolnton, NCJuly 10, 2018
The atmosphere was fairly easy going. They want you to be really involved with the company. Loading and unloading trucks of furniture could be very physically demanding.
Its furniture
Photo Studio associate (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 2, 2018
There are some great people who work their They very much want you to embrace their culture. The outlet is nice and all the people who work in the delivery area are great
Pros
Free fruit
Cons
cult of personality and working in the grey as they call it
Enjoyed my time there!!
DELIVERY ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  DC, DCMay 9, 2018
It is just about the highest paying furniture delivery driver position you will find with guaranteed salary with yearly raises and a family feel that makes you feel at home.
Pros
Paid vacation 3weeks
Cons
Not much room for advancement and wears on body not some you can retire from
Always room for improvment
WAREHOUSE ADVISOR - MERCHANDISE QUALITY (Former Employee) –  Moonachie, NJApril 23, 2018
The work load is the same day in and day out could use an upgrade in offloading trucks this is very manual labor, Standing with a hand truck waiting for 1 guy to find the item number while the other guy off loads the product. Its 2018 should be scanning items and going.
Learned that culture isn't what is always preached.
Poor management during my time in the NJ market distribution center.
Fantastic Company to work for
Delivery Market Manager (Former Employee) –  Billerica, MA 01821March 21, 2018
Room & Board is a fantastic company. Great values, great product, great people. Collaborative environment where you are given the opportunity to learn and grow.
misleading with many distractions
Design Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 9, 2018
they want you to believe there is a work-life balance, but there is not. it is not a family-friendly place to work. they distract employees with all kinds of unnecessary events, milestones, 'goals', etc, but it's all to distract from the low pay and bad hours. the leadership doesn't get involved in disputes. they let the employees slug it out. and there is NO incentive for doing well & exceeding goals.
Pros
great employees. they really know how to pick great people to work there (NOT leadership, but the employees)
Cons
the hours, the pay, the distractions meant to take the focus away from the negatives
An encouraged bullying environment.
Delivery Associate (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILMarch 6, 2018
Bunch of jacked up steroid freaks who are complete jerks. Management pretty much enabled and encouraged this kind of behavior. They preached a welcoming environment, however it was anything but. Liberal political views are also shoved down your throat by the company. They will let you go in a heartbeat if you don't share these same views.
Delivery Associate (Current Employee) –  Billerica, MAMarch 3, 2018
Awesome place to work excellent pay and Benifits. Good personal life and work balance. It’s definitely hard work but at the end of the day they have your back
Child Care; Cleaning House
Personal Nanny (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYMarch 2, 2018
I cared for 2 boys one was 4 and one was almost 2
Cooked, Cleaned, and helped with anything else that was needed
Pay wasn't always on time which was hard.
Flexible hours
I loved the boys and their parents were good friends
Pros
the kids
Cons
the pay
The job is never going to change
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Lincolnton, NCJanuary 25, 2018
Tough job but you get compensated fairly for it. Rarely get off on time. Most of the time your hard work gets rewarded with more work. If they hired appropriately then the morale of the workplace would be much better than it is.
Pros
Good benefits and higher than average pay
Cons
Really physical work, never know when you get off for the day
Prodcutive, Team orriented working environment.
DELIVERY ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJanuary 2, 2018
Room & Board is a great place to work. The staff is very friendly and everyone strives to work together to accomplish their goals. The company has a strong wellness ethic which encourages a healthy work life balance.
Pros
good pay, benefits are very nice, team atmosphere
Cons
very little opportunity to change your role
Great place to work, but little or no opporunity to advance
DESIGN ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 20, 2017
Room and Board is a great place to work and many of the employees at the company have been there for over 10 years. For a sales job the pay is great and the schedule can be flexible. Working three, four or five days a week. The job does require that you work most weekends and advancement within the company is very little.
Fun, Balanced, Management backs your decisions
Manager (Former Employee) –  ColoradoOctober 27, 2017
Balanced workplace
Friendly team
Get to help all different kinds of customers with different budgets everyday
Great discount
Company wants entire company wide employee team to be healthy and will go above and beyond to help everyone
Productive company big on values
Merchandise Quality Associate (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CASeptember 13, 2017
They go through the values of the company during the interview process. Make sure you agree with those values and can live by them in your day to day work life. If you can this will be a great place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Room & Board. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.8InHerSight Score

3.8Personal Development

4.3Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight