Rooms To Go Employee Reviews

Fun, productive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 12, 2019
Great company to work for.

Good company benefits and with competitive pay.

Management supports employees to drive success of the business.

Expect to work weekends.
Pros
Commissions
Cons
Worst place in the world to work!!!!!
Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville scMarch 11, 2019
They will be nice to your face but everybody there is two faced and WILL talk about you behind your back!!!!!!! They were always nice to me but waited until one day when the store manager wasn't there and took me into a meeting and said I had poor performance and the whole time I had been training a girl that they had just hired. And covering my shift and the office Management shift sometimes working 12 hour days. The office manager there now is only looking for someone to cover nights and weekends because that's the shift she doesn't want!!! Another HUGE big thing is they only start you out at $9/hr!!!!!!!! BAD PLACE TO GO!!!!!! AND IF YOU HAVE A FAMILY THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT THE PLACE FOR YOU
Pros
Cons
No perks to working there at all
Hostile work environment
Hopper (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 7, 2019
I Dreaded going to work everyday because I didn't know what to expect I got a lot of small injuries and I cut my arm really bad one day at work.and I had to keep working.
Pros
Cons
No lunch break
The management at my store was awful
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harker Heights, TXMarch 4, 2019
The store at worked at had awful management. They didn't respect most staff and the corporate influence was too strong. The head of HR for the region was also incredibly inappropriate.
Do not work here
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Metairie, LAMarch 1, 2019
I think if the managers were properly trained then that would make a difference. They hire anyone to be a sales associate. The office staff is the heart of the store and yet they take the most abuse from management,sales, and customers. Management looks down on everyone there and they even go against each other. How crazy is that?? Store 606/686 used to be a great store and now it's ran down. They constantly go back and forth arguing with customers if the sales associate makes an error and sometimes charges the customer to fix the error.....
Then you have a kids(686) store manager who is afraid to speak up for himself if he feels something is not right.
Pros
nice and friendly coworkers
Cons
pay sucks, they use you, management is very unprofessional and poorly trained.
moderate
Warehouse Employee (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 26, 2019
the job is average, the managers were well trained but the pay was not equal to the amount of work that was expected. overall I would give the company a 2 out of 5 primarily based on the overall culture.
Terrible place to work!
Business Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Henrico County, VAFebruary 25, 2019
Worked in the Business Office at the Richmond Virginia Store.
My training very poor when I started, soon after I started my position, the three office staff that was there walked out due to the terrible working conditions. Management there treats office staff very bad . The sales staff is treated like royalty but the office staff is yelled at and treated very rude if you need manager assistance. Absolutely no working as a team between management and office personnel . This is a very stressful job due to the extremely poor way the company operates, dealing with angry customers in person and over the phone. Management does not want to deal with angry customer situations so it is dumped off on office staff unfairly!
Recently left this company due to the unfair, harassment I constantly received!
Cons
Complete unfair treatment by management!
My manager is very fair across the board. She is very professional & can deal with a lot plus stay professional at all times. Her & the store manager
OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 20, 2019
Working for Rooms To Go has been a great experience. It allowed me to use the skills I’ve learned & build throughout the years in their office setting in more than one way. The store manager & Office Manager are very good team players and always work on one accord plus stay professional at all times. It has been a great experience for myself.
Pros
Great benefits for their employers
Cons
Advancement takes a while
Poor store management.
Porter/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAFebruary 16, 2019
While your work itself is not hard in the porter position, the management for your job is horrid. They are overbearing, stand over you and expect you to be able to do everything in your list of things. All at once, while one at a time in what ever changing order they decide.

The store and sales managers do not know how to do your job properly or in the most efficient way. Yet they will continue to go down your throat to make you do improperly or the least efficient manor. Making you repeat weekly and bi weekly duties as daily, daily duties as something you do multiple times, and your constant duties neglected. They force you to ignore other duties in which take priority. Until other management from corporate come in and make you do those things, while you are punished for nothing having done them, due to your upper management. You take blame for multiple management failures on different occasions most likely.

Aside from that, working with the designers was a pleasure, your sales team generally cleaned up behind themselves and were pleasant.
Pros
Benefits, generally nice co-workers, location, hour long lunch
Cons
Management, policies, career advancement, poor training.
Its Work
Lift Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 14, 2019
Very good pay. Great management. I enjoyed the amount of different type of equipment the warehouse acquired and I was able to learn on. Beautiful warehouse.
When it is busy you are stressed
Office Associate (Former Employee) –  The Colony, TXFebruary 7, 2019
I do not recommend working at Rooms to Go in any position.
If you become an office associate you will have plenty of free time but will get yelled by literally everyone. Managers will yell at you, sales people will yell at you and customer will yell at you.

If you are sales it is 100% commission and you have to work 12 hour shift every Saturday and every holiday.

If you are a porter or houseman you will move furniture, build furniture, paint the walls and basically be a janitor.

No one is paid very well unless you are a top seller or salaried manager.
Can be a toxic atmosphere depending on your coworkers & manager.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pinellas Park, FLFebruary 7, 2019
Mandatory overtime on all holiday and sales weekend. Multiple 12 hr shifts required during those times. It's easy to get burned out and lose productivity at the end of the 4 day sale. Losing productivity means losing money that you would normally be earning.

The positive is that they usually give you the option of taking a swap day off later in that week. However, being on straight commission, taking that extra day off often means losing a return customer who you've spent time with, to another sales associate and they don't allow split sales there. You are allowed to come in on your day off for an appointment with a customer, however, to get that sale.

As a company, they view salespeople as replaceable.They feel that there is always someone who will come along to fill an open position and so they don't have much interest in meeting the needs of the sales staff.

They will listen attentively to our opinions and suggestions during a sales meeting, but after a while, you realize that they are mostly playing lip service. There were so many small changes that they could make to allow our jobs to be easier and more efficient and enable us to help more customers so that they, the company, and we the salespeople, could make more money. Time is money in this job and spinning wheels on things that could be fixed is loss of income for everyone.

Instead of taking our advice and making some modifications, they would take the advice of managers, some of whom have never been in furniture sales, as well as corporate people who haven't been on a sales floor for 30 plus years
  more... (or NEVER). The consumers have changed over the years, as has the retail atmosphere, and adaptation is needed.

The company as a whole seems very short sighted in allowing constant turnover in some store locations. The cost of constant hiring and retraining and the loss of sales during that training period doesn't seem smart fiscally.

In addition, they leave the bulk of the training of new salespeople to other salespeople instead of getting the store manager involved in the process. So, as a salesperson, you are losing sales when you assist that person. Unfortunately, that is the nature of straight commission sales.

The people who make the most money at Rooms to Go are the people who are capable of handling multiple customers at the same time efficiently and accurately.

However some, not all, of the highest paid salespeople are the ones who don't care about being truthful to customers and have no problem stretching the truth about products and services, which angers the customers and creates problems down the road. They are the same salespeople who are careless about making mistakes. They believe it's someone else's job to clean up their messes and often refuse to return customer's phone calls when they have problems, referring them instead to the corporate toll free number where the people on the other end of the phone are often rude, I have found.

If you are the type of person who is bothered by hearing a salesperson lie to a customer and/or not playing by the floor rules, and a manager do nothing about it, this is not the job for you. It is not an even playing field for the person who abides by the rules, genuinely cares about customers and spends the necessary follow up time to insure that unhappy customers are taken care of.

On the flip side, it's a good paying job with awesome benefits! The best in this field of sales.

So it's certainly worth a try if you are the type of person who can let negative situations roll off your back, are able to handle some long days on your feet without tiring, can eat your lunch on the go or skip lunch entirely on busy days.

There are also lots of awesome, caring and helpful people there. A good deal of the negative issues trickle down from the higher ups.

I will also add that they fired the manager who was there during my term of employment, so hopefully, some things have improved!
Low Pay For The Hours
Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Boca RatonJanuary 31, 2019
Salary was a bait and switch. Thought it was higher and then they came in at $11.00 for the back office assistant. Pay more flipping burgers. Very little overtime.

A waste to begin with. Don't apply here. The sales associates are cut throat. If you are new, you won't be able to get the sales you need to live on!
Pros
No pros. You park in the lot
Cons
Salary way to low. Not a position for me
Pay was too low. Dead end
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Seffner, FLJanuary 30, 2019
Working in IT, they wanted to start me at less than a warehouse qc inspector’s salary! Heh. After a little negotiation, they bumped the offer to $30k/year... enough said

No opp to grown or progress. Dead end.
Pros
Company outings were great!
Cons
Pay, management, lack of growth
Worst place I have ever worked in my life
Executive (Former Employee) –  Seffner, FLJanuary 30, 2019
Expect long hours and extreme workload. Some of the worst leadership in corporate America. RTG leadership have a very bad reputation in the business culture around Tampa. An example of this is when RTG leadership was invited to a conference and fell asleep at it. The culture is keep your head down and work hard or get yelled at by upper management. To make matters worse they will extremely underpay you. During the interview process, they will say they give raises and don't worry about your low entry pay. This is a lie, they do not give raises ever, and will not pay you competitive rates. All the while they basically PRINT money from selling low-quality trash. The worst part of all is that when I left the company, with standard 2-week notice, they tried to blackball me to other companies. AVOID at all cost!!!
Pros
Taught me a lesson on how bad companies can be
Cons
bad pay, bad leadership, and horrible ethics at this company
Chaotic and confused warehouse
Forklift Operator/Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TX 76014January 22, 2019
Managers and supervisors are all on different pages. Underpaid for hard work. Policies aren’t in the greater good for workers, just saving the company money. Not enough paid time off.
Pros
Medical, dental & vision insurance is great. Great people.
Cons
Short breaks, job security
Fun Co-Workers
INSIDE SALES (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 14, 2019
The owner of the company is a great individual. He just doesn't participate or get to know his employees which in my opinion isn't good business ethic. I wish that Mr. J.S really cared about his employees at the bottom (Sales ) because that's the people whose selling their butts off to maintain there jobs.
Pros
Great Commission
Fun but stressfull
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJanuary 13, 2019
Overall great place to work although pay not that great for some of the hard labor done. People aren't very helpful when you are the new guy so it did get frustrating.
Pros
Great managment
Cons
Low pay some heavy lifting
Great workplace
Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJanuary 8, 2019
Overall loved the job. Fast paced and demanding. Loved management. Great team members. Competitive and great customers. Job security a plus for outstanding work.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Pay security
Reciving
Reciever/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXJanuary 6, 2019
Me siento excelente en mi trabajo la paga es buena las horas excelente capacitacion diaria y mucho trabajo
El trabaho consiste en descargar containers
He aprendido a descargar de manera correcta todos los containers a manejar monta cargas de manera segura en recibir y distribuir la mercancia de manera eficiente y segura
La administracion es muy buena distribuye el trabajo de manera equitativa y eficiente logrando asi un mejor rendimiento industrial
La cultura es muy buena ya que somos capacitados diariamente a regir un sistema con evaluacion continua y productiva el desgaste fisico es lo mas complicado por el peso de los productos
La parte mas agradable es que con trabajo en equipo todo es mas facil productivo y rapido
Pros
Ninguno
Cons
Ninguno

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rooms To Go. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight