Ropes & Gray LLP Employee Reviews

Lots of work with no reward
Billing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 7, 2019
Work environment is extremely stressful and management is not concerned with what is happening as long as the billing is done. Too many people working on the same project leads to confusing outcomes.
Pros
Promote from within the firm
Cons
Favoritism definitely part of the culture
Fast-paced hectic environment
Skilled line editor, copy editor, proofreader (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 29, 2019
Our team was a fun group of people; however, the work was endless and very stressful. Daily deadlines demanded little downtime. Barely had time to have lunch, and hardly ever took more than 30 minutes to eat. Long day, 9-6.
Pros
Good compensation package (benefits, bonus)
Cons
Too stressful
Interesting and challenging work with smart colleagues
8ðNover 275 partners, Senior Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 9, 2018
Wonderful experience! Transparent management, collaborative employees, great location, beautiful offices, wonderful cafeteria, and good work life balance.
Good company
Legal Recruiting Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2018
Ropes and Grey was great. Welcoming and warm environment. Got challenged personally and my work ethic went way up. Got to meet several new and interesting people.
Pros
Lunch time
Cons
Overtime
A Meat Grinder of An Atmosphere.
TECHNICAL LIBRARY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 9, 2018
There are people who've thrived at Ropes & Gray. I didn't, in equal parts due to a demanding atmosphere and manager. Support staff salaries are below-market, especially so in a place such as New York City.
Productive and fun environment to really learn
Litigation Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 23, 2018
What I learned working as a litigation service specialist was the hardest part of the job is going to be the most enjoyable part of the job because that's when the learning happens. My training supervisor was more than willing to explain the instructions for my projects to me while also managing to complete her own responsibilities on time. I appreciated every minute of working at Ropes and Gray Service Center.
Pros
Work Environment was always clean, and the staff is always willing to help you understand the projects you will be working on
Cons
Hectic place, works you hard with no incentive or room for advancement
Senior Patent Paralegal (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2018
A typical day here was hectic. Too much focus is put on best practices and procedures and not enough emphasis on growth and career advancement. You have to be in with the cool kids to get a promotion otherwise you spend years working here and it goes unappreciated.
Pros
vacation time, compensation, work from home
Did not enjoy
Legal Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 23, 2018
The office was micromanaged and benefits were just ok. I did not enjoy my working experience there at all. Staff was great but most of the attorneys were unapproachable.
Productive, Stafff Helpful
Facilities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 16, 2018
Over all Ropes is a good company to work for. The staff help each other. The attorneys are patience which makes the culture friendly. The hardest part of the job is dealing with someone who has had a bad day.
Good Place. Good Team
Facilities Co-op (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 9, 2018
The facility department at Ropes is a close-knit group that acts more like family than anything. Management is supportive and always willing to take time to teach you something you may have a question about or find ways for you to explore other areas of interest while working with them. Very excellent company overall.
Total Waste of Years of my Life
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 7, 2018
This place is by and large the absolute worst place I’ve ever worked. Management is terrible. Advancement is based on favoritism by management and not on merit or work ethic. Speaking of work ethic, it’s not valued in any way by the management, and is actually a detriment if you want to continue a job here. If working yourself to the bone only for someone else to take credit for your hard work and be berated by management for working too many hours and getting them in trouble with HR sounds like fun to you, by all means apply. I can’t express just how awfully things have gone since I began my career here. I keep being told that I’m valued and that my role is important only to be screwed by management time and time again. If you’re offered a job here, run fast and far. You’d be more respected in the fast food industry.
Pros
Cons
No OT, unreasonable expectations, no respect, bad management, favoritism, no advancement, shoddy benefits, below market staff compensation
Team players
correspondence to/from foreign associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 6, 2018
Great learning experience during floater rotation. Team playing friendly staff. Opportunity for over-time was always available. Taxi vouchers home when working late and free cafeteria.
Pros
Free Cafeteria
Cons
Salary
This place literally makes me contemplate suicide
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 21, 2018
I thought I understood stress, and then I got a job here. I had NO idea what being stressed was like before I started working here. My single greatest regret in life is taking this job. The management is abysmal, and only those who play the brownnosing game will actually get promoted. If you have any kind of integrity, you won't last here.
Pros
Cons
all
Ropes & Gray was not the best place to work
Patent Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 13, 2018
I was hired as a patent secretary at Ropes & Gray; after 3 years the company reorganized and created service centers of secretaries to work in a pool. After a year of the service center approach, Ropes & Gray systematically fired all the experienced secretaries, stating they were "not working out".
Pros
Great chef in cafe
Cons
The company fired over 30 secretaries stating "not working out" after their reorganization, instead of laying them off
Demanding
LEGAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 8, 2018
Fast paced, stressful environment. For the right person it's a great place to work. Can be impersonal but, rewarding. Work is often very tedious and long.
Great Job
Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 18, 2018
Amazing management and great experience. Not necessarily your last job, but it will be your most beneficial job. Anyone who has a chance and is ready for high paced legal work should try to work here.
Typical day
Corporate Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 5, 2017
Long hours of supporting attorneys on multi-million dollar deals and assisting to many client demands and needs while maintaining good billable hours.
Ropes & Gray Review
Telecommunications Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 14, 2017
Nice company to work for. Law firm that supports internally. The environment was relaxed and people were nice. The attorneys could be demanding but it was simply what they needed to function.
Pros
Location, Pay, Benefits, Work environment
Cons
Not many
Average Law Firm
Billing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2017
Although the Firm boasts of its culture it's no different than any other big law firm, long hours, too many layers of management etc. Also, the salary is way lower than most big law firms.
Pros
flexible as to work hours
Cons
very reactionary management
Outstanding job opportunity.
SENIOR LEGAL & COMPLIANCE CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 12, 2017
Very demanding, competitive and stressful but very professional work environment. Manager is excellent, but compensation is low given the nature and quality of the work I do.
Pros
Excellent manager.
Cons
Minimal payment for level of work I do.