Rosemary Children's Services Employee Reviews

Not what I expected
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 18, 2018
Having worked in social services in at another group home in the past I was surprised by this company. Upon being hired I was told that there was lots of room for advancement but that does not seem to be true. I did not feel that the management supported the workers entirely and many things that they said sounded great but we’re not going to practice
Nice place to work
In- Home Support Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 4, 2018
RCS was my 1st job in the mental health field and it was quite a positive experience. The hands on training you receive stands out from the rest, and the management are very helpful in understanding the employees needs.
Pros
working with the clients
Cons
turn over due to burnout
Stressful and always short staffed.
LVN Nurse (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMarch 12, 2018
Its not always stressful but they are almost always short staffed. I love the orgs mission and most coworkers are friendly but it's hard to enjoy your work when you're often short staffed and expected to do make up managements inability to hire or retain people. I know nonprofits usually pay less but I'm sure they should be able to find some money somewhere and compensate everyone a little more, at least enough to not be short staffed so often.
Pros
Org mission. Mostly friendly co-workers.
Cons
Short staffing which then leads to stressful shifts. Benefits, what benefits?
Blame Game
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 29, 2018
This is a very stressful and draining environment to work in. Staff only want to do the bare-minimum. Staff and management tend to be two-faced; they are nice and understanding in your face, but quick to judge you and throw you under the bus.

Supervisors are hard to reach in critical situations and when you are able to reach them, they are no help. Supervisors tend to pass the work out to others and wipe their hands clean when something goes wrong.

Understaffed so you ARE expected to take on extra shifts. Especially because supervisors don’t want to come in and work at the houses.
Pros
Bonds you build with the residents
Cons
Hours, Pay, Lack of Training, Lack of Support, Management
Unproductive
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 16, 2018
Ok job. Fulfilling but underpaid. Staff is unproductive and the culture is very relaxed. The girls are amazing to work for. One of the things that kept me going.
Pros
Lunch/Dinner/Training
Cons
Staff Unproductive
A service organization for children
Facility Manager (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 28, 2017
It's been many years since I've worked here. I remember dedicated staff and social workers coming together to help children in need. Hopefully, not much has changed.
Bad place to work.
Foster Care Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Dimas, CAMay 14, 2017
This was probably the worse place I worked. The director was not only unprofessional but also a very mean person. All of the staff were quitting when I started working there.
Pros
Cons
Cut throat
Excellent work place and corporate culture
Director of Community and Business Development (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAApril 12, 2017
Excellent company to be a part of. The purpose and the mission is to help and develop the teens. The organization needs more state and federal funding to provide better benefits for the organization.
Pros
Alot of free things
Cons
N/a
Working with youth was challenging however management was not supportive.
Counseling Team Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMarch 25, 2017
Overall this was a great experience. Programs need to be more structured and treatment needs to fit client population. Level system is ok however there needs to be other incentives. There is a lack of training. Low staff moral. Too much inconsistency with policy and procedures.
Okay workplace
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 29, 2016
This company doesn't teach realist lessons to the residents. There is a lack of structure. If residents are not compliant and stray away from their program the is nothing done about it. Residents get away with so much and can be verbally aggressive with staff. Admin does absolutely nothing when important concerns are brought to surface. Nothing is taken serious unless staff {low level} is making a mistake. I am fortunate to have a few good co-workers and some of the residents are awesome. The pay should be way more than what it is considering what staff go through here.
Pros
Paid holidays, benefits, great co-work
Cons
Scheduling, Always short on staff, no support from supervisor, and hardly ever get off on time
The agency provided a great opportunity
Foster Family Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAAugust 21, 2015
At Rosemary Children's Services, I was given training and support as I worked toward my licensure. I appreciated job flexility, fun co-workers and working with amazing foster families.
Rewarding workplace
Activity Coordinators / Childcare Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 31, 2015
I enjoyed working with teens and counseling them helping the trouble teen work through there problems. I really like getting all the training that they offered once a month in different subjects.
Pros
The company allowing growth
Cons
distance
Great coworkers, poor management.
Employee (Current Employee) –  PasadenaApril 21, 2015
The work is typical of a non-profit agency, focus is on the numbers and the bottom line. Management has created a blame environment and most do not even have advanced degrees!! Have to create boundaries with some unethical issues because the pressure is real. Coworkers make the days Bearable , but most hate the job. Pay is below par with the work that is expected and no positive feedback is given when employees go above and beyond.
Don't bother coming here, you won't get trained, get paid nothing and then will be given unreasonable demands and expecations by the second week.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Management unqualified for the positions they are in, blame culture, pay
Great potential
Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJune 4, 2014
A typical day is stressful. The culture is one of blaming. Nobody under administration wants to be there. Floor staff feel hopeless and unheard.

I learned very much at this agency. It taught me how to conduct myself as a professional. Management was occasionally unprofessional and very last-minute. The hardest part of the job has been the emotionally draining nature of the job and the lack of support from management. The most enjoyable part has been my peers.
Pros
peers are inspiring
Cons
lack of support from management, no breaks, no trust in employees
difficult work environment due to management/directors
Child Care Counselor to Supervisory position (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMarch 21, 2014
***Note the low ratings given by floor staff (Child Care Counselors) and the high ratings given by staff in higher ranking positions.

I first started as floor staff and then was promoted to a supervisory position. In my experience there was a clear hierarchal structure in which management and department directors did not make it a priority to be transparent and communicative to floor staff. There is a high turnover rate for group homes in general, but unfortunately RCS has a much higher turn over rate due to these issues. A developed blame culture often pitted co-workers against each other.

When I was promoted to a supervisory position I received only 3 hours of direct training/shadowing and then was expected to start. In this position I was given negative feedback about my ability to meet the expectations of the job title. I asked for additional training and specific feedback regarding the vague directives I was given to better my performance. Even after meeting with HR, my supervisors decided that instead of training me they would restructure the department. When I decided to search for work elsewhere, 3 clinicians (out of the 4), a director, and a handful of residential staff left the agency within a period of a month. Hopefully things have changed since then and management has turned that into an opportunity to reevaluate the current structure of the mental health and residential department. This agency does have the potential to do great work.
Summary
ITFC Social Worker/Recertification Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMarch 8, 2014
I enjoy being a part of Rosemary Children Services and making a difference in the lives of children and foster/adoptive parents.
Good environment
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 11, 2014
Responsible for AR, journal entries, month end, reconciliation
Agency was able to give individual intensive treatment to it's clients.
Facilities Director (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CADecember 4, 2013
It was very rewarding to work for an agency that focused on given their clients the best resources to aid them in becoming positive and productive citizens.
Pros
Mission to equip clients with education and social skills to become productive citizens.
Cons
The agency could only 40 residents at a time.
Lack of communication and judgment from management. Revolving door job
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pasadena CAApril 29, 2013
It's a revolving door job. Staff terminated for lame reasons based om sexual orientation, lack of motivation and inability to follow directions. Staff lives are in danger each day, prone to harassment, especially driving clients at night in shady areas of the inland empire. Management very judgmental. Some clients are refereed to as lost causes, with negative derogatory attitudes. No support whatever. Some of the clients are a blessing and are provided a new start once they reach adult age.
Pros
The pay and the long hours. The ideal location
Cons
Long commute, and workers threatened and lack of protection
working with at-risk youth is great but little or no support from managment.
nurse (Former Employee) –  PasadenaMarch 16, 2013
Working here as a nurse definitely had its up and downs. So much is expected but little help is given. You have to often trust the counselors to pass out meds. Most, if not all of the counselors have no medical training. A lot of the girls here are on psych meds and do not receive them as they were prescribed. Then they wonder why these girls have behaivioral and emotional problems. Most medical decisions are not even made by the nurses. Management makes most of these decisions. Nurses are mostly expected to bill, bill, and bill.$$$