Ross Dress For Less

Found 14,967 reviews matching the searchSee all 15,027 reviews

Ross Dress For Less insights

Based on 7,288 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job

Fun place to work but management was terrible

I would come in and count the drawers from the previous night. Order money for the week. Count the safe and do deposits. I also did product replenishment and inventory loss prevention. Recovery was done at the end of every night and the store cleaned before anyone could leave. The management was not organized and many times we were short handed due to people calling in and no one coming in to replace them. Co-workers didnt like the job but we loved each other. The most enjoyable was the customer service counter. I got to work with the best we had there and help implement new Operation procedures.

Pros

great breaks

Cons

terrible management

Alright place to work at

It’s an okay place to work at they have favorites and barely let you know when to take your break. It’s always a mess and they expect you to know everything. A security guard is rude n get mad over everything.

Pros

Cons

Coworkers

its an ok place to have a part time job

Don't expect advancement or a pay raise. Use this job to network and get a better job at another company. Hardest part of job is working with the people who don't wanna work.

Overworked and underpaid

Overworked and under paid.You have to take anything from customers , the managers want have your back. Work so hard doing will feel like you’re going to faint

Pros

20 precent discount

Cons

Bad management and pay overworked

Overall

The work is pretty easy but it can get really busy due to the lack of staff but all in all it's a good place to work. Everyone there is really friendly and management seems to care about their employees. The employee discount is great but the pay is not so good.

Unrealistic expectations for achieving desired results. Field leaders and teams are treated as expendible.

If you want to leave work every day feeling like you can't ever get caught up, then this is the place for you. Extra hours are required on top of the regular workload, in order to get even the minimum work completed. The company expects factory like productivity levels from store teams but does not pay enough to keep them motivated to achieve results. Field leaders and teams suffer due to the frugal behaviors of store operations. Far too many 3rd party situations which cause additional time and strain on day-to-day operations. Support teams are absolutely no support at all, and are not available around the clock, or weekends. The company is not willing to spend money on quality supplies that will last, so things are constantly breaking, and then it takes weeks, sometimes months, to possibly get a fix. DM's do not support in this effort either.

If you catch it right, you can find some really good stuff @ great prices

Worked for the company for many years, was promised promotions multiple times & passed over by management. If you do land a location with good managers though, it's worth it!!

Pros

Finding good deals before customers do

Cons

Pay sucks for some of the things you have to deal with

It's an ok job

Really nothing special, Ross itself has policies to make work as least stressful as a customer service job can possibly be, but it depends a lot on the type of manager you get. Some managers want to find you stealing, others trust you.If you go for the Store Protection Specialist job, be ready to do things you might not want to do such as spy at your coworkers, will be up to you if you side with management or with your coworkers.

Short staffed and messy

Every time I come in it instantly makes my mood go down. They recently cut hours unexpectedly. Management has changed about three times since the end of last year making the place very unorganized. Management will guilt trip you when you can’t make it in on your off day. When they decided to schedule you off. They expect too much from one single person. Everyone is out for themselves. You will think you’ve made a friend until they back stab you for perks. If you are a cashier they will leave you to ring out customers by yourself if they have more “important manners” or pretend they don’t see you struggling with a long line. Overall I would say don’t work at this Ross. Everyone tends to be fake and then smile in your face. It’s not a good environment. The only perk is when they give us free food from time to time honestly, and I feel like we deserve that for everything we go through.

Pros

Free food (sometimes), ability to request off

Cons

Short breaks, management, unorganized

Very low wages. Not enough working hours.

Low wages. Not enough working hours. Very rude customers. Cluttered stores in dangerous neighborhoods. Management helps very little. People steal including staff.

It was ok

The job was all over the place and the managers don’t train you properly they depend on other employees to do it and if you don’t get it right the manager blames the employees which led to the employee being salty towards me. It was my first job and they knew that and they just let me lose and two weeks in the job the manager told me I was doing certain things incorrectly but I was only doing what the assistant managers and employees told me.

Decent Job if You Need a First

Overall I enjoy working for the company. There's some minor things that are less than preferable, but I'm also picky. Good first job if you're looking

You’re just a number.

Worked here for little over a year, and the company as a whole see you as just another number. The turnover rate is so high so they don’t take the time to make your working experience personable at all.

Cons

The company focuses more on if someone is stealing.

Not the best, but also not the worst. Take what you get from it.

Ross is seemingly, universally understaffed and always has a negative vibe to it. As an "associate" you'll be tasked with greeting customers, running from your department to your cashier, desperately trying to organize your area (which is always next to impossible), speeding through transactions to maintain your average cashier time, and making sure some oddball doesn't steal from electronics (always electronics for some reason). If you're okay with monotonous work and a turbulent work schedule, this is the place for you.

Pay good bad management

Management is horrible like was to the back of the strife and the manger told the cashier to figure it out but I have one manger that’s good and nice but the other two attitude is ridiculous and they shouldn’t be mangers

Pros

Pay

Horrible

No room to move up. talk to you any kind of way. no fun at all .not enough hours .always being blamed for something. Not a good company at all!!!!!!!!!

Okay work place

Alright place to work. Manager is kinda all over the place and isn’t very flexible with scheduling. I’m sure other Ross’ may be different, but this one in prosper isn’t too great

Simple and mostly mindless work, if only it paid a little more

Working at Ross is fine. I like being around and talking to the other associates and the customers. The only thing I don't like about the work itself is standing all day. Nothing stressful, mostly chill, but even working full time wouldn't be enough for me to pay rent and food.

Pros: Decent benefits, small “family” feel to store Cons: no work life balance, toxic upper management

I have killed myself for 4 years working for a company that, in the end, did not appreciate my efforts. Ross is the perfect part time job, IF your Store Manager actually practices the ideals of inclusivity and transparency that Ross preaches. This district currently has a lot of SM’s that, unfortunately, are not ethical. I would advise employment to a larger Ross; the smaller ones often get overlooked and hardly get visited by corporate, resulting in very non ethical behaviors & horrible treatment of the associates. The associate discount is 20%, as a full time worker you can get vision, medical, AND dental, plus a 401K. If you’re wanting the satisfaction of holding a title, I recommend Ross because you can move up fast, however it comes at a cost: unstable work schedule and a heap of stress. Otherwise, you could make more working at another company, entry level, than being a supervisor or even assistant manager here. I have worked so many birthdays, funerals because corporate was coming, have even worked 20+ hr shifts all for in the end, to be treated in a very unprofessional manner by members of upper management. I do not recommend being a Store Manager for Ross, if you want to see your family, and live a low stress life. In the end, I only stayed for my associates so I could protect them from the realistic nature of the beast that comes with retail. I did love my job, until I realized how Ross truly operates.

Standard Retail, Experience Varies By Location

Nothing particularly stands out about my time at this company. It's retail, it comes with it's good days and bad days; what really decides how good or bad it is is the location you work at. For every polite, respectful customer I had, there were several rude, entitled ones. Corporate only cares about sales, and so no matter how rude a customer is, you must appease them. Store policy means nothing, even during the worst of the pandemic. Speaking of corporate. If area management doesn't like you, even for personal reasons, don't expect to get anywhere. There's answers they're looking for to various store problems, and half the time they're incorrect, but you must recite what they want to hear. Also, never expect much pay raise wise.On a store level though, I liked most my coworkers and management. Only complaint I would have is they could be gossipy. The employee discount is great, definitely the best part of the job.

Pros

Employee discount, good coworkers, actual flexible scheduling

Cons

Customers, favoritism from upper management, uncaring corporate

Horrible and horrific

This a unprofessional work environment. Everyone gossips and the managers don’t do their jobs. They don’t correct your work schedule but the managers always fix their schedule. They seem to forget that people have personal lives.

Pros

Cons

Little pay, intolerable coworkers

Common questions about Ross Dress For Less

Answered by current and former employees at Ross Dress For Less

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ross Dress For Less. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

2.9Fairygodboss Score

80%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

40%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare Ross Dress For Less with

• Ross Dress For Less
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?