Roswell Park Cancer Institute Employee Reviews

Good hospital as a patient , terrible as an employee
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 1, 2018
Roswell park is good to their patients but horrible to their staff; the HR department is the largest group of unprofessional people in a supposed professional environment. The staff is largely made up of travel nurses and the institute acts like all the employed staff are replaceable. I have worked at all the hospital systems in Buffalo and this is by far the worst and pays the least.
Benefits
Cons
Management, Hr, Pay
Great People and Work Environment
HIV Counselor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 28, 2018
A typical day is at your desk waiting for calls to come in. 4-6 hour shifts available. Casual wear. Typically work with at least one coworker. Perfect job for students.
Pros
Not much work, great coworkers
Cons
limited hours, biweekly pay
Tobacco Control Specialist - Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Institute
Tobacco Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 19, 2018
Great place to work. Appreciate the work, family balance. They do need to expand on more opportunities for people to grow and develop in their field.
Pros
Flexiable
Cons
Not to many opportunities to grow
So far so good
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 16, 2018
So far so good. I am learning more than I could have ever imagined and I am apart of large scale projects that will continue to increase my networking knowledge and experience as time marches forward.
Poor management and politics
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 11, 2018
This might have been a good place to work 10 years ago but now it’s a bloated, mismanagemed government asset. Everything you do is looked at as a political move even if you’re just parking your car.
Pros
Decent pay, overtime
Cons
Poor management
what I learned
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 7, 2018
Because of the complex nature of cancer and multi-disciplinary approach in management one is constantly learning and re-learning as detailed in my resume.
fast Paced but fun
Pharmacy Technician (Temp) (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NY 14203June 6, 2018
Multiple shifts. can be making iv's on day then mixing chemo the next. Management is still trying to figure itself out. there is somewhat of a power struggle.
Management Very Unprofessional and Political
Management (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 31, 2018
Politics plays a huge part in positions here. Management is unprofessional. Decisions made in an erratic way based on friendships instead of what's best for the company.
worst job ever
Environmental Services Worker (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 21, 2018
Slave work for pennies. They didn't treat me like I was a person just like dirty. I feel like they did not have respect for you when you work in EVS.
Pros
state job
Cons
they dont care about you
Excellent research and care giving Institute
Business Administrator, Outpatient Services (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 19, 2018
This organization was amazing. A truly caring and patient centered healthcare organization.
I was the financial Administrator of a newly re-organized Outpatient Services Department. I worked with a remarkable woman vice President of Out Patient Services. We completely turned the patient experience around by establishing "Disease centers" where a cancer patient could come for treatment and be seen by oncologist, psychologists, social worker, radiology in one area. Instead of traipsing around the hospital from one section to another all the "Breast Cancer" services were in one location. It was an exciting and rewarding opportunity, unfortunately my husband receive a career advancement opportunity that we could not turn down so I was only able to be at Roswell a short time.
Pros
Amazing work, physicians and very dedicated staff.
Cons
Very large organization that moved very slowly with change.
Looking for Part-time Job
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 25, 2018
Looking to help with income. I currently work fulltime as an administrative assistant. I enjoy my work and the people I work with. I work within the research side of the hospital, working with PI's to gathering their funding, publications and other information to make sure its correct to get out to other departments or institutions for collaborations.
fast paced.
Hospital Clinical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 17, 2018
I worked for The Operating room Suits. Get report who' where. I then go to the sterile inner core an start checking specialty carts Count and restock per service with all Dr's tray's. Checking all items for sterilization and expiration dates. Count and restock all instruments per levels sterile cabinet A&B replacing the from Central Supply, Restocked each OR with fluids, blankets and paper work, suture carts per service, check all Equipment for working order,check all check the OR Surgical board for up coming room turn over case pull case cart set up room. Check with circulating nurse for needed supplies. move on to next room to help with room clean up and sterile break down clean and sterilize any scopes.
Pros
Time goes very fast.
Cons
hard to find affordable parking.
great working environment
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 5, 2018
There were no typical days-every day I learned something new and all my colleagues were great to work with. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the medical doctors. The most enjoyable part was everyone else
Pros
great people/great benefits
Cons
ha to pay for parking
productive fun workplace
Travel Nurse (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 3, 2018
Cancer research center. RN working in a ambulatory clinic setting. Primarily working in bone marrow transplant clinic however worked in other clinics for this facility in the past. All staff and management was wonderful to work with and i would recommend this facility to any nurse.
Pros
everything
Cons
hard to get hired on as a permanent nurse
Terrible management
Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 24, 2018
Individuals in management positions have been put there for the wrong reasons, not because they are qualified. Got sick of hearing from the PIs how terrible the MDs were and vice verse. Some of the clinics are poorly run. Basically Roswell is run by politics and does not see the patients as people anymore, just as dollars. It’s very sad.
Benefits
Professional and team oriented environment
EKG's technician / Clinical Center Associate (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 24, 2018
Working at Roswell was a great experience. Everyday we worked as a team for the good of the patients. In my experience I had the opportunity to work with outpatient's, inpatient's as well as protocol study patient's.
Pros
I met so many wonderful patients as well as coworkers
Cons
Heartbreaking to see patients suffer through treatments
It is hectic place
Clinical Research Associate in Regulatory (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NY 14263March 22, 2018
I work the Clinical Research Service department as Regulatory Associate. I worked on get all the paperwork in to open a study.
I also did any modifications that came up on the protocols to get all this through the IRB, Institutional Review Board.
Got signatures from the PI on all studies. Worked with monitors and made sure all the paper work was listed in the binders for the studies
Cons
People breathing down your neck
It's a different place
Hospital clinical aide (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 22, 2018
Not your topical hospital... racist no parking for employees must kiss a** in order to make it at this facility poor management definitely not a spot for a career
Pros
Greet place for a RN
Cons
Bad parking, Racist, low pay
was ok
Maintenance/plumber (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NY 14263March 22, 2018
Work as a union member there, was laid off due to down sizing after economy fell apart in 2008. The people I worked with in the maintenance shop where great, but the rest of the institute the morale of the workers was awful.
It's what you make it.
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 19, 2018
A typical day in the call center is fast pace, they adhere to strict time regarding breaks and lunches. When I started off this office was in a drab basement area, with no windows. A lot of janitors were in that area and the office was not ventilated well and cluttered. and then we moved towards the end of summer. The new office was in a laboratory building and it changed peoples personality drastically.It felt a lot more professional. Hardest part about the job was dealing with incompetent and unprofessional managers. They felt they couldn't be replaced based on seniority and were very vocal about this. Just avoiding their antics and staying our of their way was the hardest part of the job. What I enjoyed most at the job was asking for help, learning new things, being in a nice downtown area where good food is easily accessible, always near public transportation.
Pros
I have a reputable company to place on my resume, I have learned to work fast pace and as a group. I got comfortable on the phones and multi-tasking.
Cons
Managers in SRDAR call center were very arrogant, spoke down to people, made jokes and was all around unprofessional. Lack tact in many situations.