Rover.com Employee Reviews

Fun and competitive
Dog Sitter (Current Employee) –  My homeNovember 11, 2018
I choose which dogs I want to watch. I'm my own boss. I have learned about different kinds of dog breeds and their needs. The hardest part of the job is taking care of stressed out or special needs dogs.
Pros
Made my own schedule, get to choose clients, get to take care of dogs.
Cons
Rover takes 20% of my paycheck
Great Side Job
Dog Walker/Pet Sitter (Current Employee) –  Binghamton, NYNovember 7, 2018
Great tool to help connect with people needing dog sitter and walkers, great way to earn extra money while being around dogs, freedom to decide own rates and hours
dog sitter
Dog Sitter/Walker (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 6, 2018
This company is awesome for dog OWNERS, and horrible for dog SITTERS. the "premium" insurance covers only the dog, not any belongings of yours that may be destroyed by said dog. If you dare to actually USE that premium insurance (if one Rover dog bites another Rover dog) you will be banned. They have unrealistic expectations; there is no way to guarantee 100% safety when you are boarding dogs from multiple homes unless you crate every dog every time you sleep, take a shower, run to the mailbox, etc, which is miserable for both you and the dogs. And they don't allow the sitters to rate the dogs. I understand them not having a PUBLIC rating system for the dogs that the owners can see, as that would be harmful for business, but they don't even have a behind the scenes platform to warn each other about what to expect (ex; A lab named buddy has a penchant for unscrewing doorknobs to get into a closed bedroom). You have no idea what you are in for the first time you agree to board a particular dog, and once you agree, you are stuck for the duration, no matter what they destroy in your house, and you won't be compensated by Rover for the damages, because the premium insurance that 20% of your fees goes toward providing doesn't apply to YOU.
Pros
hanging out with doggies for pay!
Cons
too many to list
Great place, wonderful customers
Dog Walker/ Sitter (Current Employee) –  Chino, CANovember 5, 2018
Working for Rover allows you to create your own schedule and gives the opportunity to maintain responsibility. The clients are also nice and the dogs are very welcoming.
Pros
Playing with dogs all day
Cons
Slow at first
Great place
Dog Sitter/Walker (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALNovember 5, 2018
If you are looking to set your own schedule, and work as much or as little as you want, this is the place for you! I highly recommend working for rover.
Pros
Excellent networking opportunity
Dog Sitter
Dog Sitter (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 31, 2018
I do freelance dog sitting in my home for Rover.com when it works in with my schedule. I've learned time management and it is a great compliment to my natural love of dogs. There's a 24 hour client services number for both pet owners and pet sitters - if there's ever been any issue I've been able to easily resolve it with there round the clock service.
Pros
Set my own schedule, adorable fun dogs to hang out with
Cons
untrained dogs can be difficult
Good side hustle
Pet and House Sitter (Former Employee) –  Issaquah, WAOctober 28, 2018
I only did overnight house sitting. It can be competitive with other sitters, but once you get a few jobs you will have a good client base. You can set your own rates, but be prepared that Rover will take 20%.
Fun and you get to set your own boundaries
Dog Handler (Current Employee) –  Bellingham, WAOctober 27, 2018
I board dogs at my house, do drop in visits, and daily walks. The hardest part of the job is bonding with dogs and then having to say goodbye to them!
Pros
I get to play with dogs!
Cons
Some aren't house trained!
No protection for those offering services through Rover
Dog Sitter (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 26, 2018
Everything seemed pretty great about the gig, aside from the large cut they take from your client's payments. Work is very hard to get in the beginning, too.

The breaking point for me was my first (and last) experience taking care of a dog through Rover. During the meet and greet I had with the owner, I noticed the dog was really itchy and had some spots where he was missing hair. I addressed this with the owner and she said he "had a skin condition", and being from Colorado, I didn't think anything otherwise; so I proceeded with the arrangement.

Almost $200 later, turns out the dog had fleas and I brought them home, where both my dog and cat became infected. A friend of mine watched my dog before we identified the problem as well, and her cat has also since been affected.

Upon contacting Rover, I basically got a "well, we don't cover for that" and they added $30 in credits to my account, which I guess would cover a walk or two--but I don't use the site for services anymore, I only offer them.

It can be a great way to earn extra income on the side, but be aware that if anything goes wrong, there is little to no protection from the company for you and your pets at home.
Pros
Extra income
Cons
No insurance or protection offered from the company to you or your pets.
Cut throat
Remote Rover Now specialist (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAOctober 25, 2018
This company is full of liars. Leadership preaches on core value but do not implement them. This company is all about getting rich not taking care of the people who work their tails off for them.

I have seen great management told to chose being demoted or to leave for cost savings reasons

I have seen remote employees terminated just because Rover no longer wanted to have a remote team. No remorse shown from leadership on how this decision could affect the employees or their families. Nothing in the original job offer that states the remote position is subject to change.
Pros
Cons
untrustworthy leadership
Rover is great is for people whole love working with animals
Pet Sitter/Dog Boarder (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 25, 2018
Rover is very professional. The clientele is great. Their 24/7 support is wonderful. Issues were always resolved very quickly. The support team was always exceptionally courteous, compassionate, professional and knowledgeable. It was a very pleasurable experience. Rover always lived up to the standards they set for themselves as a company and beyond. My business was seasonal, specifically Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. The first year for Christmas, I boarded seven dogs! Fortunately, they were all very well behaved, friendly and got along well together. January through March I had very few requests. It was a great way to earn extra money and meet some really great people and dogs!
Pros
I got to earn money taking care of dogs, I got repeat business and met some great people and dogs, I enjoyed the work
Cons
The business was mostly seasonal, I was too busy to do anything else during the holidays, I did not get business most of the rest of the year
Very nice
Minnesota - Pet Sitter (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNOctober 23, 2018
Rover.com was and is a wonderful place to work, especially if you love dogs and cats. They offer a very flexible schedule, and YOU get to make your own rates and salary. Their customer service is beyond amazing, and they treat their workers with the best respect.
I haven't really gotten a job on rover
Dog Sitter/Walker (Current Employee) –  Saint Helens, OROctober 22, 2018
The set up is good, I like how you can be put out there and can be reached by any one in the area as well as do something you really like and be put out there
just ok.
Dog Sitter (Former Employee) –  Madison, CTOctober 22, 2018
did not work much . it was my sisters site and I sometimes helped she had a ft job so I wasn't occupied w this much every now and then I would assist
Watch Out for Loopholes in the Rover Garuntee
Sitter (Former Employee) –  MarylandOctober 20, 2018
I've been a sitter for Rover for 5+ years. I wasn't happy with how much in fees they took out of my services: a $10 drop-in would be more like $7.50 after Rover takes their cut. But what was most unpleasant was my experience with the "Rover Guarantee." I decided to use the service myself for the first time, and pay for a sitter to stay with my two young cats over the weekend while I was away. When I returned, one of my cats was horrifically sick. He vomited over a dozen times all around the apartment, including blood in the bile. After $1300 in emergency vet bills, all they could tell me was that he had gastroenteritis so severe that he needed fluids and several medications to help flush whatever he got into out of his system. The sitter tried to blame the wet food he ate, but the other cat who ate the same food was just fine. I was relieved to hear of the Rover Guarantee, where if something happens to your pet resulting from a stay, they will help cover the medical bills past $250. Well, here is a lesson in always reading the fine print. IF IT CAN'T BE DETERMINED WHAT YOUR PET GOT INTO, THEY WILL NOT COVER ANY MEDICAL BILLS. That means if your pet gets into something digestible/dissolving that the sitter left out, but the sitter either doesn't notice or covers it up, well you're out of luck, because Rover won't help you. They wouldn't even give me a simple refund for the stay that I paid for. Well, the 5+ years of fees they took from my hundred-some jobs could have probably covered most of that vet bill, so I'm out. I'll never trust Rover again.
Pros
Choose your own hours
Cons
High fees with lots of loopholes in the benefits
It’s okay I guess
Dog Sitter and Dog Walker (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 17, 2018
Well when you are new, you don’t get as many jobs as they say and you have to have people vouch for you which can be hard if you haven’t dog sat before. You’re just kinda waiting for people to come along and request you. I stared in August and I’ve barely got one request. It was fun, but waiting sucks. Of course you can promote yourself but personally that makes me feel weird.
Pros
Dogs and cats
Cons
Waiting
Meet dogs and cool people all the time
Dog Sitter (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 15, 2018
Great side gig. Such a great decision to join.
I have had an incredibly busy summer (and now fall) with Rover clients or with new clients I met while at dog parks or on walks with Rover dogs.
The main downside is Rover.com taking 20% of earnings; I feel bad raising my rates because the owners will be paying way more than I'm making still.
The other thing is that I have had 95% amazing clients who have become regulars and friends, but I've had one client who made me want to quit. Some people are very paranoid or manipulative or obsessive. Just the way the world of client relations is, I guess.
And some people are not very clean either, which is gross.
Rover Support has been very helpful for all kinds of questions.
I do think that they need to work more on their interface and their support of sitters in general.
Pros
Manage your work and schedule
Cons
% off the top, some sketchy owners
This job is what you make of it
Self-Employed Pet Sitter (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAOctober 12, 2018
I set my own rate and establish my own schedule. I choose which pups to watch. I enjoy working with animals and the relationship with my customers. I have a lot of flexibility.
Excellent
Dog Sitter/Walker/Daycare and Boarding (Current Employee) –  Lombard, ILOctober 12, 2018
I love working for Rover for the great contacts I have. It have really made a difference in my life. The staff is very helpful when you need them 24 hrs a day!
Pros
Dogs and more dogs
Cons
Fun place for pet lovers
Customer Service-Pet Care (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAOctober 11, 2018
Great for a part-time gig, no real career advancements available. Rover is a flexible corporation however, you can create your own availability and they are flexible upon your choice of payment you request from your new and current clients.
Pros
hangs with pets
Cons
Overnight stays at non-clean client homes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rover.com. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Rover.com.

Powered by Comparably