Rover.com Employee Reviews

Great for independent side income
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  MichiganAugust 11, 2018
It takes a bit of time to build up a base of clients but once you do you can get pretty steady work. You are essentially managing your own business and it’s best to treat it that way if you want to make money and are not just looking to play with pets as a hobby. Clients are usually generous and respectful and you get to determine who you work for and your own schedule.
My only problem is that they do not set a high enough standard rate for services which makes it seem like those charging what another company in the area would are really expensive. Considering they take 20% of each booking it adds up to a lot over time. I’ve had to raise my rates and had many customers haggle with me or try to book me outside of Rover because I am asking what’s fair for my area.
Pros
Independence, support, advertising
Cons
Pay, standards, no benefits
Great Side Job
Pet Sitter (Current Employee) –  Haltom City, TXJune 6, 2018
This job is great! I basically make my own schedule and set up my own rates. I decided to start off small and just set up very small rates so that I could help clients out. I started getting really good reviews and so I raised my rates up a bit. A typical day at work is just me meeting up at the apartment and going to get the dog and just walk him/her around for 30 minutes. There's not much in terms of management cause you're basically your own boss besides the rules of how to work the app. I love how friendly and flexible this job is and that my passion for animal care helps allow me to enjoy it!
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Sometimes you don't get requests
Great to be your own boss
Dog Sitter/Boarding (Current Employee) –  Aurora, CONovember 14, 2018
Rover is great. You get to be your own boss and make your own schedule. However is very competitive and people will always choose whoever has the low price. With Rover keeping 20% of anything you make putting a low price can be difficult especially because you set your price at 25$ for a day of day care but they will take 20% which mean you just took care of a dog for 8+ hours and only made 20$.
Pros
You are your own boss
Cons
Not enough money made or benefits
Great for a side job
Dog Sitter (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 18, 2018
This is a great side job for college students and retired folks. It's a fairly inconsistent source of income, but the extra money is especially nice during the summer and around the holidays.

As a graduate student, I appreciate the freedom to manage my own availability and work with the clients to make sure their pets' requirements fit my schedule before booking. Almost all of the Rover clients that I've had are understanding of my academic responsibilities and grateful for the care I give their animals. I have very little interaction with Rover specifically, but the clients and the pets really make it a positive work environment. I love this as a side job, and I plan on staying on as a Rover sitter through my studies and at least a few years into my future career.
Pros
Manage your own schedule, choose your own rates
Cons
Inconsistent income
A great way to make some money on the side
Dog Walker/Pet Sitter (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 8, 2018
I have worked through Rover for the past 3 years. It's very slow to get started, but once you get your first few reviews it can pick up quickly. Eventually you might be able to collect a set of regular clients, otherwise it is not ideal for your main source of income.
Pros
Make your own schedule, get paid as much as you're willing to work, pick your clients
Cons
No benefits, no regular paychecks, can be competitive
Enjoyable and peaceful work from home job
Self Employed (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 14, 2018
I take care of people's beloved dogs while they are at work or traveling and ensure that they stay comfortable and happy with each booking through effective and consistent communication. The hardest part of the job is when I have to turn clients away due to being over booked or if the dog is not a good fit for my home. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to bond and spend time with my clients pets and building long lasting relationships with those pets and their owners.
Pros
flexibility due to working from home and getting to build relationships with regular clients
Cons
no benefits or opportunities to grow
Cut throat
Remote Rover Now specialist (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAOctober 25, 2018
This company is full of liars. Leadership preaches on core value but do not implement them. This company is all about getting rich not taking care of the people who work their tails off for them.

I have seen great management told to chose being demoted or to leave for cost savings reasons

I have seen remote employees terminated just because Rover no longer wanted to have a remote team. No remorse shown from leadership on how this decision could affect the employees or their families. Nothing in the original job offer that states the remote position is subject to change.
Pros
Cons
untrustworthy leadership
You are your own boss
Dog Sitter (Current Employee) –  Manteca, CAJanuary 7, 2019
Rover let’s you pick and choose when you want to work and when you can’t/ don’t want to work. It’s pretty great for some side money, I have been able to use this money to help me save for an apartment. I wouldn’t say that Rover pays my bills necessarily (if you really put in the work and effort it probably could- I know people who make Rover their full-time job and it works for them) but it does help me bring in extra money on the side.
Pros
Set your own schedule, meet people and dogs, easy side money
Cons
No PTO, no healthcare benefits
Great part time job
Rover dog walker (Current Employee) –  Oley, PADecember 2, 2018
Great job especially for upperclassmen in high school, it is usually just for part time workers, there isn't really a benefits option due to the nature of the job but that doesn't really take away from the kind of quality of the job. Getting to spend time with dogs, choosing your own hours, choosing your own service charges, being able to build a strong connection with clients and forming regulars.
Pros
personalized hours and pay
Cons
no benefits due to the nature of the job
A 7 year old "start up"
Stay Support (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 9, 2018
It's a very disjointed company. Image is everything. They really only want employees whom they perceive as young and hip. There is tremendous age bias. Which means that management and staff completely lack wisdom, maturity, focus and direction.

The tip off should have been the tedious three hour site interview. It was ridiculous.

Team rules shift and change daily at Rover. Again, this organization hasn't figured out yet exactly what it needs in order to gain traction in the global marketplace.

In the meantime, employees are the ones made to suffer for the lack of clarity and vision.
Pros
Dogs in the office.
Cons
The owners of the dogs in the office. The lack of professionalism.
Dog Sitter
Dog Sitter (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 31, 2018
I do freelance dog sitting in my home for Rover.com when it works in with my schedule. I've learned time management and it is a great compliment to my natural love of dogs. There's a 24 hour client services number for both pet owners and pet sitters - if there's ever been any issue I've been able to easily resolve it with there round the clock service.
Pros
Set my own schedule, adorable fun dogs to hang out with
Cons
untrained dogs can be difficult
Awful place to work and would never recommend anyone using it
Walker (Former Employee) –  NebraskaJuly 8, 2018
I have been an independent contractor on Rover for almost a year. I have great experience, a bachelors degree, great reviews from previous clients out side of the app, and my rates are literally lower than anyone elses. I HAVE NEVER had a client. Not a single one. But I HAVE had multiple scammers try to contact me. Rover management and customer service are non-existent. When you need help they do nothing, they literally do nothing at all- The cut percentage that they take from walks is ridiculous. You use the app because you think it will be safer. It's not. To independent contractors and customers both, if something awful happens Rover will not do anything. They pretty much have it all in the fine print. I consider this app to be a scam. They do NOT CARE about their employees, customers, or the pets whatsoever. But, great job at finding a way for people around the US to make your money while you do nothing, Rover.
Cons
lack of security, untrustworthy, bad pay
Official response from Rover.com
August 8, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We work hard to offer industry leading customer support and I am so sorry to hear that we fell short of that for you. We’d love the opportunity to change this experience around, if you’d like help building your business or with anything else, we’re available 24/7 at 888-453-7889.

I netted over $50,000 in 2018 with Rover
Sitter/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAJanuary 5, 2019
I concentrate on boarding and daycare only. I have been doing this for over 4 years. I have almost 600 Five Star reviews and 130 regular clients

This business model requires discipline and consistency. You need excellent communication and customer service skills to reach my level of success

Rovers Trust and Safety Team has stood with me when inevitably something goes wrong. They are the best example of a corporate/contractor relationship. The Sitter Team is always there to assist you or your clients 24/7

I’m moving to Austin Texas in two months. I’m confident I’ll just be able to quickly build a book of business and recreate $50k/year and more

I love Rover!
Pros
Working with great clients and their pets
Productive and Fun Workplace
PET SITTER (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOJanuary 4, 2019
A typical day at work would include the caring of pets, and the cooperation of the owner(s). When I first started working at Rover.com, I only knew the basics of animal care, but after I started working at Rover.com for a longer period of time, I learned how to properly handle dogs, cats, and other animals, and also learn to communicate better with the owners of the pets that I was caring for. The hardest part of the job, would have to be dealing with a pets' separation anxiety because if you don't know how to properly handle this, the pet can sometimes become afraid of the caretaker, or even on rare occasions, become slightly aggressive towards the caretaker. But, besides all of this the most enjoyable part of the job is generally taking care of, and earning the trust of the animal(s) that you take care of.
Pros
Lots of excercise, pet friends, new experiances
Cons
can be stressfull, some days are fast paced, dealing with angry pet owners
Good extra income, but not as the sole source of income.
Pet Sitter (Current Employee) –  ArizonaDecember 10, 2018
I enjoy working with Rover, however I would not rely on this for my only source of income as the jobs tend to be too varied and unpredictable. There are very few benefits to the job, but it is a very relaxed income source that causes little to no stress.
I loved every minute!
Dog Caretaker (Former Employee) –  East Hartford, CTNovember 28, 2018
Its an obvious but you must love dogs! I became very popular very quick and had regulars request me! I worked full time too! Was not easy but the owners did not mind and the dogs I accepted were crate trained. I dedicated all of my love and time when not at my full time job. Took photos, walked, run, hiked and played with them every chance I could. The owners would complement on how happy their dogs were and they were with my service. Highly recommend this service to anyone driven and compassionate! Whats best is you get to pre screen through the app. That way you don't run into any surprises. Some people did not work out but everyone was cordial and professional.
Pros
Taking care of dogs, Flexibility
Cons
Time consuming
Fun place for pet lovers
Customer Service-Pet Care (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAOctober 11, 2018
Great for a part-time gig, no real career advancements available. Rover is a flexible corporation however, you can create your own availability and they are flexible upon your choice of payment you request from your new and current clients.
Pros
hangs with pets
Cons
Overnight stays at non-clean client homes
You are your own boss - but don't keep all the money
Pet Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, CODecember 20, 2018
Rover is a great side hustle to make extra money. And that is what it was and is for me still. You can take clients as you please. And get to spend time with other peoples cute pets! You set your own prices and charge what you believe is fair.
Only drawback is that the company takes 20% of your earnings. And on top of that the only way to withdraw your money earned is through pay-pal or check. And if you do a mailed check they take $2 off the check to send it.
Other than that this is a great side hustle to make extra money, and you can 'work' as much or a little as you want and can.
Meet dogs and cool people all the time
Dog Sitter (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 15, 2018
Great side gig. Such a great decision to join.
I have had an incredibly busy summer (and now fall) with Rover clients or with new clients I met while at dog parks or on walks with Rover dogs.
The main downside is Rover.com taking 20% of earnings; I feel bad raising my rates because the owners will be paying way more than I'm making still.
The other thing is that I have had 95% amazing clients who have become regulars and friends, but I've had one client who made me want to quit. Some people are very paranoid or manipulative or obsessive. Just the way the world of client relations is, I guess.
And some people are not very clean either, which is gross.
Rover Support has been very helpful for all kinds of questions.
I do think that they need to work more on their interface and their support of sitters in general.
Pros
Manage your work and schedule
Cons
% off the top, some sketchy owners
Wonderful Experience!
Dog Walker (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 3, 2018
I loved working for Rover.com! Although you cannot sustain a salary to live on, it is an excellent opportunity for extra cash. The management was very helpful, the customers in general were friendly, and dogs loads of fun. Benefits are not available, but you can set your own schedule. I highly recommend it!
Pros
Dogs, Management, Exercise, Extra Cash
Cons
Hard to make a full-time wage.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rover.com. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight