Rover.com Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
A great thing to do if you need extra money and/or you love dogs!
Dog Sitter/Walker (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 23, 2018
Rover is a great company to work with if you love dogs, have extra space to board and take care of dog or even just look after them for the day. I would also recommend this job to anybody who would like to earn some extra money doing something they love.
Pros
Working with dogs, Choose customers, As many vacation days as you'd like, Charge as much or as little as you'd like, Rover will take care of any vet expense from $250 - $25, 000
Great side job! Worth it for some extra cash here and there.
Pet Sitter (Current Employee) –  Highland, NYJuly 19, 2018
I love this "job" for a few reasons.
1. It's a nice hobby/extremely part time job. (EXTRA CASH)
2. You meet some really cool people and there awesome pets!
3. I have always been obsessed with learning about dog breeds and the minutiae regular people don't care about. KSpecifically breed specific history and knowledge.)
4. It provides a *mostly* user friendly interface to advertise your services and actually get clients! WITH OUT LEAVING YOUR HOME!
Let me be clear. The people griping about this not being a full time job or having too much money taken out of their earnings are a direct result of want it all for free.
We need Rover to meet clientele in a universal space and they need our measly 15%-20% to provide it for us.

TL;DR
It's great for a little extra cash. NOT A FULL TIME POSITION. fun!
Pros
Cool people and pets. Side cash.
Cons
None.
Companion Animal Caretaker
Companion Animal Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CAJuly 17, 2018
The idea of Rover is that one is a Companion Animal Caretaker.
it is a free lance position so basically if a client contacts you online and you click one has a job.
What I like about it is that you can have another job and still belong to Rover.
Management issues online which is not a problem.
If you love dogs and cats you will love working for Rover.
Pros
Taking care of dogs and cats
Cons
Never know when you will get a job.
work at your own pace
Dog Walker/Pet Sitter (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJuly 17, 2018
perfect for people who love dogs and want to earn some money! you pick when you want clients to contact you and you can take off as much time as you need. Gives workers the option and resources to grow into a business
Pros
pick your own hours
Good place to work at
Dog Sitter (Current Employee) –  New Caney, TXJuly 16, 2018
This is very workable unlike a 9-5 job and a bonus is being with dogs!! I enjoy working here and I love dogs a lot and have a passion for them too. I love this job
Relaxed and Fun company to work for
Pet Sitter (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 16, 2018
I've always loved dogs so caring for animals at Rover was a really easy job for me to get on board with. You can take clients on at your pace and adjust your calendar to work for your schedule. I would recommend this to stay at home parents or anyone who is home full time to look after the dog.
Compensation for Top Rover Sitters
Professional Pet Sitter (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 15, 2018
I've worked for Rover for the past 3 years and overall the experience has been great. Once Rover merged with Dog Vaycay business started to become slow. I wish Rover would promote those sitters who have made them lot of money and have been with the company for years. Or, provide some sort of employee benefits.
Great starting off point
Pet Sitter (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXJuly 15, 2018
I love the opportunities Rover has offered to me. At first it was extremely difficult getting any customers without previous experience. It actually took months before I had an inquiry. Since that first homesitting service, however, i have noticed a pretty significant change. I still don't get nearly as many requests as I would like but it seems possible now. The biggest disappointment are the fees Rover takes from your pay. Rover takes a whopping 20% of everything you earn. I assume they use this money for advertising as they even charge you for the background check to get approved. I plan to use Rover as a starting off point to get new customers, but I intend to have repeat customers contact me directly rather than through the app.
Pros
Hanging out with animals
Cons
Unreliable business, hefty fees
Fun if you love dogs
Dog Walker/Pet Sitter (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDJuly 12, 2018
If you don't love dogs it will become a chore, personally getting to see them while at college and away from my dogs was a dream come true, the pay was just extra.
Good for second job
DOG SITTER (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 11, 2018
I love working as a dog walker/ sitter as my second job. It is so flexible and I can set my own rates. I choose when to work and Rover is quick to respond if help is needed.
Awful place to work and would never recommend anyone using it
Walker (Former Employee) –  NebraskaJuly 8, 2018
I have been an independent contractor on Rover for almost a year. I have great experience, a bachelors degree, great reviews from previous clients out side of the app, and my rates are literally lower than anyone elses. I HAVE NEVER had a client. Not a single one. But I HAVE had multiple scammers try to contact me. Rover management and customer service are non-existent. When you need help they do nothing, they literally do nothing at all- The cut percentage that they take from walks is ridiculous. You use the app because you think it will be safer. It's not. To independent contractors and customers both, if something awful happens Rover will not do anything. They pretty much have it all in the fine print. I consider this app to be a scam. They do NOT CARE about their employees, customers, or the pets whatsoever. But, great job at finding a way for people around the US to make your money while you do nothing, Rover.
Cons
lack of security, untrustworthy, bad pay
good place to work as a second job
Dog-Sitter (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJuly 5, 2018
its a good place to work as long as you have another job lined up. Could not live on pay rate alone. they also take 20% of your income so you actually don't get all the money that the people you sit for give to you.
Not a good job
Dog Sitter/Walker (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 4, 2018
Overall, way too much work for the amount of pay. Ungreatful owners, selfish company. Lots of time to do what you want, and not nearly enough compensation for the time and effort seriving the clients and dogs.
Pros
Lots of free time
Cons
Almost unbearable lack of pay.
I’m a self service dog sitter. I work as a subcontractor. I work as much as I want and can pick and choose who my clients are.
Dog Sitter (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 29, 2018
Love Rover. I set my own schedule and handle clients directly.
Using the app is easy. No problems communicating with clients or getting my kympayout when the job is done.
Pros
Flexibility.
Cons
Competition
Simple and fun
Dog Sitter (Former Employee) –  everywhereJune 25, 2018
Being able to get paid to watch dogs is my dream job. I get to hangout with all these different dogs and still be able to do other things. I would recommend this as a side job because then you are still able to have another job with more hours at the same time and are able to do both.
Pros
hanging out with dogs, easy, simple
Cons
not many hours
Self-Paced and Calming
Dog Watcher/Dog Sitter (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 24, 2018
I really love my job at Rover. I'm your typical stay at home mother looking for a good paying and flexible job to work around due to an active toddler. I don't intend on quitting this job anytime soon! :)
Pros
Flexibility, Good Pay, Friendly Furry Friends/Clients
Cons
Fun place to work pay is far and few between
Pet Sitter (Current Employee) –  Gaylord, MIJune 23, 2018
Rovers great but odds of making enough to live and pay bills and rent are slim to none. Great temporary job though. Is very fun and most of the time the people you meet are awesome animal lovers.
Pros
work at your own pace, get to see lots of pets
Cons
Pay isnt enough to support yourself, Rover fees are kinda unfair.
great company that gives you a lot of control
Dog Walker and Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJune 20, 2018
This company allowed me a lot of control over my schedule and what I wanted. I was able to vacation without worrying that a job would pop up. I also felt very supported by the company and felt free to ask questions or for help
Its a hard job
Animal Caretaker (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 16, 2018
Its a hard job with a lot of dedication and experience needed to be successful. I have skills with dogs but am not ranked higher than someone first starting with no skills.
Pros
good dogs
Cons
bad dogs
Great Job
Pet Sitter/House Sitter (Current Employee) –  Doylestown, PAJune 8, 2018
I enjoy working with Rover as it provides me the flexibility I need in my daily life while still providing income for my family. I enjoy all the awesome people and animals I meet through Rover and would always suggest others to try it out !