Roxbury Treatment Center Employee Reviews

Badly managed and poorly ran
Counselor Aide/Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAApril 13, 2018
Supervisors care more about gossiping then about patient

Rarely make any effort to improve the place

Bad work environment- catty/offensive

Will overwork staff and manipulate them into taking shifts
Pros
Experience in rehab/mental health field
Cons
Management; lack of structure; no common decency
high stress
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAMarch 14, 2018
profits over patient care. high stress job working with difficult patients. often dangerous because of low staffing number relative to patient numbers.
Pros
you get money
Cons
you have to do stuff for money
Fast paced job with never a dull moment
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAFebruary 12, 2018
Very fast paced and challenging job working with drug and alcohol addicts in various stages of recovery. Some patients would downplay their withdrawal symptoms which put them at risk for complications while others would exaggerate their symptoms in an effort to obtain medications in an effort to obtain some sort of a "high" while they were there. It was quite the challenge to determine what a patient's true needs were at any given time.
Pros
Every day was different
Cons
Frequently saw patients return multiple times for treatment
Could take breaks as needed
LPN (Former Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAJanuary 15, 2018
Everyone worked together it was a good place to work. Management gave compliments and was encouraging.
Very enjoyable please to work the only thing that gave you problems were the clients if they didn't want to cooperate.
Pros
Free lunch
This position has transformed me
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Shippensburg, PANovember 28, 2016
The people who work at the company are phenomenal. I have never worked for a company that made me feel like I was as much a part of the family as Roxbury did. This job has an extremely high turnover rate and it truly does take a special person to excel in this position. An acute care facility such as this one most certainly has quite a hectic pace of work and it is not rare to feel as though you might lose your cool multiple times during a normal workday. Being able to control your emotions is a skill that improves extremely rapidly by holding this job- because it has to. The management takes a lot of criticism from lower-level staff but in reality they are doing everything they can. The people who hold management positions are truly good, hard-working people who care about their staff and the patients. There are certainly frustrating aspects of this job which stem from much higher up than management level.
Overall, holding this job for almost 2 years has helped me grow astronomically. It has helped me grow in terms of my knowledge of psychology, mental health, verbal de-escalation, preventative interventions and the importance of connecting with each patient. The area in which I feel the most growth is in my personal belief in my ability to handle any situation, my communication skills (not only with patients, but with my team I work with each day), my insight abilities, my confidence in my potential, and my leadership skills.
Pros
Co-workers and ability to implement my own ideas
Cons
very low rate of pay
Poor management
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAMay 16, 2016
A typical day of work consists of running multiple therapeutic groups with patients, which can be extremely enjoyable dependent on the group you have, then paperwork needs to be done including daily notes, incident reports, psychiatric notes, 15 minute checks. Do not expect any help from management, in any aspect of your job. Whether it is needing help with a restraint of a patient or covering breaks, management does not want to be bothered and they thoroughly remind their workers of that. However, the group of coworkers there are incredible, everyone pulls together and helps each other when they can, you become a small family. The hardest part of the job is the environment that you can be in some days, if you are not mentally prepared for 7-8 restraints a day, this job is not for you. But, the best part of this job is seeing individuals come in who truly want and need help and watching them leave a new, healthier and happier individual.
not the best
Intake Counselor (Former Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAFebruary 13, 2016
poor management and lack of compassion from management, money driven. Not enough staff, low pay for the amount of work and responsibility you carry.
Long hours, short breaks, great coworkers
Mental Health Technician (MHT) (Former Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAOctober 29, 2015
Shifts are 12+ hours long and there is a 30 min unpaid break. Patient turnover is rapid and tech responsibilities are tremendous. Lots of experience and exposure to different types of mental illnesses and treatment options. Coworkers are exceptional however it is a business and is run like a business not a treatment facility.
Pros
Low cost meals & plenty of casual days
Cons
Managerial concerns are for risk managment not patient care. Below average rate of pay.
fast passe job
Dietary Aid (Former Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAAugust 4, 2015
Fast passe, had a lot to to and little time to do it, got to know a lot of nice people. Had to become tough and not let things that some of the patients get to you. Lenard how to verbal deescalate fight.
average
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Shippensburg, PADecember 26, 2014
average company, needs more employees on shifts and better pay for employees
Pros
rewards of helping clients
Cons
scheduling is poorly managed
Fast paced environment
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAApril 22, 2014
Roxbury is a needed entity. Where else would these clients go when they can't contract for safety? However, that being said it is not the safest for workers. High ratios of patients to staff. I have had groups of 24 making the 15 minute checks a nightmare. The positive is you do carry a radio if a code is needed to be called. Negatives would be most shifts are 12 hours. You have a thirty minute required break you take but that is usually the only break you get. It's hectic, with more staff taking breaks would be easier so someone could watch your group. Pay is very little I made 12.50 you can make more as a TSS with a bachelors degree. The supervisor for MHT's is not understanding and is a bully to those he doesn't care for.
Pros
Gain experience with various disorders
Cons
Long shifts, short brakes, understaffed
understaffed and stressful work enviroment
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAMarch 9, 2014
Worked here for over 3 years and it became steadily worse with staff leaving only weeks after being hired, more dangerous pts, putting cots in rooms so that they could fit more pts, understaffing to dangerous extremes... meaning on staff to sometimes 20 or more patients some of which are psychotic. This is not a treatment center this company is worried only about how much money they can make. Take it from someone who knows first hand.
Pros
co workers are great
Cons
low pay, violent work enviroment, no breaks on 12 hour shifts
Great place to move up. Friendly staff.
Community Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAMay 16, 2013
I have loved working for Roxbury Treatment Center. It is a facility that continues to grow and expand. I work from home most days and my car is my office. I love the flexibility my position has to offer.
Nice place to work
Per Diem Therapist (Current Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAMay 13, 2013
I work at Roxbury part time to earn extra money. It is a nice place to work. The people are friendly and the agency makes you feel valued.
Very busy place
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAApril 17, 2013
Depends on which job I do. If it is housekeeping I would take care of the whole place, with 1 other housekeeper. We are around of the pt. all the time. Unit clerk job, I do lot of filing and helping with charts and other job.
A very rewarding experience, daily.
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAOctober 12, 2012
Each day at Roxbury was a different experience. Though we had the same routine, we always had new admissions, discharges, and new obstacles to overcome. You were never quite sure what you were walking into each shift. Interestingly enough, I enjoyed this about the job. Each day I would be assigned a group(rarely the same group each day). The group consisted of anywhere from 8-14 patients. I would direct them on where to be, and when. For instance, when it was close to breakfast, i'd wake them up, remind them of the med times, and accompany them down to breakfast. I would be there throughout the day to remind them of groups, cigarette breaks, meetings, phone times, Dr. Visits, and to answer any questions they had. I had mandatory 15 minute checks, with a check sheet for each patient. I performed room searches, luggage searches, and body searches. I would assist in group therapy, and I would lead groups. I was able to learn so much about the struggles other individuals endure, and how to help them cope. I grew so much as a person, and a mentor. Everyday, I felt so rewarded to know that I made a difference. That was by far, the most enjoyable part, along with interacting with the patients. The hardest part of my job, was when we had combative patients, for any reason, and we had to go hands on, or mechanical restraints. It was very physically exhausting, but most importantly, very difficult to use your "power" over someone else. I always attemted verbal de-escalation until there was no option left. I had great co-workers, and we all came together wonderfuly with team work. There  more... were a lot of positive encouragement everyday. OveralL, I had a wonderful experience.  less
Pros
"rockstars" to encourage good work, free lunches, good healthcare
Cons
i feel they promoted when promotion was not necessary, or the qualification was not there.
Great benefits, rapid turnover
Acute Psych Nurse (Former Employee) –  Shippensburg, PAJuly 18, 2012
Alot of physical confrontation which I was not expecting and not prepared for. Co workers very supportive, management, not so much.
Pros
supportive co-workers
Cons
inexperienced management with overinflated egos.
Good Review
Intensive Outpatient Counselor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAJune 9, 2012
My review is good. Great place to work if in the area. Great support from management. Good opportunities for advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Roxbury Treatment Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Roxbury Treatment Center Reviews by Location