Roy's Restaurant Employee Reviews

productive and reletively fun to work for
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAAugust 28, 2018
The hardest part of the job is being organized and planning ahead. A typical day starts at 3pm you prep for the day's reservations and for additional potential walk ins. Service can start as soon as you clock in since there is happy hour involved. Nevertheless you learn really quick you need to speed up in every aspect of the job from prep work to quick cooking for tickets that pop up. For me the most enjoyable part was the rush and the need to constantly improve daily so you wouldn't have to run constantly.
Pros
free lunches, mentors, work experience
Cons
short breaks, loads of work
High end and very intro ohana culture
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CA 92802August 9, 2018
Overall I enjoyed working here, it gave me a lot of tools I needed in order to succeed in any workplace no matter what the field. They are very good at working with you if you wanted to move up, I know that the servers made very good money. As far as management goes the team is supportive and fun to work with.
Not so good
Server (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLJune 28, 2018
The management was terrible and clicky. They would gossip with servers about other servers. They made the hostess (who was awful) a manager and she would gossip even more. You would have 4 people on for 15 covers and sit there all night sometimes not even getting a table in off season. Not a great place to work. Bad management and overstaffed.
Pros
Season
Cons
Everything else
Productive workplace with great management, high volume and a collaborative atmosphere
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville Beach, FLJune 13, 2018
I always loved going into work. The management was so kind, supportive, understanding. The staff was collaborative, fun, talented, personable. There was a ton of high volume business especially in the bar area where I worked, and my fellow bartenders and I would have the time of our lives slinging out drinks for the customers, many who were regulars on a daily basis. I've worked in a lot of restaurants (managed many as well) and I've never been in such a relaxed, great environment where going into work didn't stress me out. I hated having to leave.
Pros
team oriented, fast paced, flexible hours, great management team
Cons
no healthcare available
Great Part Time Job
Server Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZMay 29, 2018
I really like working here. Pay was great and it was fun to interact with the costumers and help them with there needs. Overall, it was a great place to work.
Great Place to Work
SERVER/BARTENDER (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 21, 2018
Working there was a very important part of my life. The time that I spent there allowed me to develop characteristics of my work experience that I will use the rest of my life.
Pros
Great work atmosphere
productive and fun
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 20, 2018
This job was a fun and easy going atmosphere to work in. The new management at the time made it a little difficult. But the employees and public made the day go by.
Relaxing, fast paced environment
Lead Host & Trainer (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAMarch 12, 2018
This restaurant goes through seasons but the employment staff has a very strong bond. Most days were very fast paced, but everyone was on the same team.
Great place to work in the food and beverage industry
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZMarch 12, 2018
The management is fantastic, the food is impeccable, and the rest of the staff is like family. A truly fantastic place to work, however its not perfect. Scheduling can be tough, especially during the summer slow-down. But the only REAL negative I have with this place is that it will make future food service job's difficult. theres a truly unique culture at Roy's and I will definitely miss it.
Pros
Shift meal, easy to work with management, good $
Cons
shifts can be scarce, say goodbye to your holidays, guests can be less than fun.
good place to start out
Chef (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 2, 2018
I really enjoyed working for this company the short time I was there, it would be a really great place for a person trying to get a feel on how fast kitchens operate. however during the time I was there the management was very poor and they was teaching their cooks properly, but since then ive heard great things about both the new chef and management and things seem to be great .oh by the way the food is to die for.
Pros
great food, good starting pay
Cons
at that time poor mgt
Not what it was, when Chef Roy began the concept
Server (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 22, 2018
A few years ago, the Roy's concept was purchased by a company specializing in franchising fast-food and fast-casual concepts, and is repeatedly trying to run a fine dining concept in the same way, with unfortunate results. Part of those is in the management that they are hiring and retaining, or not retaining, as the case may be. In the years that I worked there, the Baltimore location has had three managing partners. The last (and current) is a nightmare. The environment has become one run almost exclusively on favoritism over merit, and the standards of service have eroded so far as to be unrecognizable. The BOH has been struggling for years, and is losing the battle, to the point where the restaurant cannot be allowed to fill without a kitchen crisis. The FOH staff has almost completely disappeared- what used to be a highly tenured, productive staff is now the very opposite, and those that are left are treated as indentured servants rather than skilled professionals. The management turnover has been outrageous, and steadily and rapidly declining in skill set and attitude toward the staff. All of this creates a highly contentious atmosphere, and for little salary.

Don't be fooled by the "benefits package", either. It will be virtually impossible for a FOH employee to qualify.
Pros
Well, there must be at least one or two....
Cons
Decreasing earnings, poor ownership, terrible management
fun open kitchen
Lead Line Cook (Former Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 8, 2018
had a blast working here, Had plenty of customer interactions because of the open kitchen. We also did plenty of events with charities. we were constantly pushing over 300 covers nightly on the weekends. We also had the ability to create our own specials and amuse bushe.
Troubling
Employee (Current Employee) –  RoysNovember 25, 2017
Missing clear leadership on all levels. is not a way to show that you care about your staff. Hoping it improves but won’t hold my breath. Unfortunate.
Great clientele and food. Organized.
Food & Beverage Server (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 20, 2017
Great clientele because of a resort location. Food was excellent and almost always staffed well , with lots of support staff. Pre meal meeting before every shift. Very good communication between management and staff. The restaurant was run very well. I enjoyed working there.
Pros
Organized, great work atmosphere. Great tips! Beautiful work envionment.
Cons
Slow in the summer. High expectations. Can be stressful at first.
Ohana for life
Managing Partner (Former Employee) –  ArizonaJuly 27, 2017
My 10 years of Roy's was invaluable. I had the pleasure to work at Roy's in California, Arizona, and Nevada. Roy's is one of the most unique chains in the country with about 25 stores and six of them in Hawaii. There is no better place to learn about true hospitality and some of the best food and wine in the world.
Pros
Room to advance when you work hard and don't look back.
Cons
Alot of change
A good place to work until they closed their doors.
Food Server/ Banquet Captain (Former Employee) –  620 East Flamingo Road Las Vegas, NevadaJuly 27, 2017
I enjoyed working for Roy's for the most part. Most of the employees and management were easy to get along with and a pleasure to be around. I enjoyed going to work everyday up until we were bought out about a year and a half ago & then everything just went downhill from there until we eventually closed our doors.
Pros
Co-workers, patrons
Cons
new owners
Little problems faced
Host (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville Beach, FLJuly 4, 2017
A typical day ran smoothly, as it was mainly reservation based. I learned to remain calm in times where there became long waits and guests became unsatisfied. I enjoyed being able to get the guests seated and accomplishing my task.
Look so great restaurant
Cook (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 27, 2017
Your restaurant is look so nice . I searched on google. Look so professional. Suck amazing. The staffs look friendly. It will make many people want to come this restaurant to eat and relax
Good place to work. Strong management and Crew
Hospitality Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 1, 2017
A very enjoyable place to work. Great Location, Great crew. We had a strong management team that worked really well together.
I liked the challenge of enhancing and contributing to Roy's overall success
cool
Server (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLFebruary 2, 2017
Really liked working there, very fun and fast paced, good people and work was not very difficult, managers and chef were very good to me