ROYAL AMBULANCE Employee Reviews

Emt
EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CA 94577April 2, 2019
Great company and strong leaders. The management team at Royal Ambulance takes the time to make sure that all of the departments are functioning smoothly and efficiently.
fast paced BLS company w/ added benefits
Nighttime/Daytime Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAJanuary 30, 2019
great place to work, with great incentives and great people to work with. From the CEO to the janitor everyone is super nice and personable. This is a great start to work for a EMT as well as a dispatcher.
Great Company To Work For
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CANovember 16, 2018
Working at Royal is like no other place . The people and the managment make it a great experience and are always striving to provide the best to there employees
Poor management who could care less about safety
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CASeptember 11, 2018
Management would turn a blind eye to many safety issues and topics, allow EMT's who are not ready out into the field even though their FTO's did not want them in the field, scheduling was not accommodating, dispatch always had an attitude, breaks were few and far between and many of the office staff were unwelcoming.
Pros
overtime if you wanted it
Cons
everything else
Great Company - Approachable Management and Awesome Culture
EMT-B (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 2, 2018
The work culture here is unheard of. I have never worked for a company that had such great people working for it. The EMT's at Royal legitimately care about patients and management legitimately cares about their employees... and the wheel goes a'round. UPDATE: The just increased their starting pay to $15 for new hires! This is the highest paying BLS company as of 2018 and of the best to work for (Royal has won several 'Best places to work' awards). Ask other EMS personnel and you too will hear great stuff about royal.

I went to school while working for the majority of my time at Royal so the company would do their best to help out by working around my schedule (not the other way around like most other ambulance companies). This was a huge deal for me and I was glad they really tried working with you.

Most calls are Code 1s (hospital to SNF discharges) but you also get a decent amount of code 2's (on average, at least once a day). Oh, and on CCT you get some pretty cool calls as well (ICU to ICU, ER to ER, etc...) and may even get code 3's here and there (for BLS and CCt shifts; depending on if you are a white cloud or black cloud).

There is lot's of overtime potential and available shifts for pickup. You will almost always be able to pick up shifts that are being given away by other EMTs. 10 hour shifts/4 days a week.

NEVER plan anything after work because you never know if you get a late call and how long that call will last (they can give you a call a minute before your off time but try not to if they can)! This is true for any EMS job, beware!

More pros:
  more...
Call bonuses: 5th call is 10$ bonus, 6th is an additional $15 etc..., They provide scholarships, They often times have snacks and water, sometimes provide food when it gets REALLY busy or on special occasions (thanks giving, EMS week, Christmas etc...)
Pros
Call bonuses, School scholarships, snacks, food sometimes
Cons
May or may not get adequate time to get lunch, can be pretty hectic on some days.
Fun and Independence
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 23, 2018
Very fun work environment with fellow co-workers. Great family oriented company working to improve everyday. Never had any problems with co-workers or everyday operations.
Wonderful place to work.
Billing (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAMarch 24, 2018
Enjoyed my teammates, EMTs, Nurses and management. I was able to learn more about ambulance coding and MediCare and MediCal rules. If, I had the chance to return to the company I would.
Great Experience at a great company
EMT-B (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMarch 6, 2018
First job as an EMT and gave great experience and skills running both emergency and non-emergency transports. Family feel to the company managers feel very approachable and everyone around you wants to help.
Pros
good work life balance, many opportunities for advancement.
Cons
Poor pay, mandatory hold overs leading to long shifts.
Very Fast Paced
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAJanuary 16, 2018
Management has changed a lot since I left the company, however when I was employed it worked mainly on a favoritism scale. I hope it isn't like that anymore and others get a lot more opportunities that some of us didn't receive based on popularity.
Productive and fun work environment
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 13, 2017
Good workplace environment, good management. Coworkers are helpful and willing to teach. Hiring academy is positive and very helpful in teaching you the needed skills for the job.
Great Culture
EMT (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAJune 6, 2017
This company takes care of its employees. A close-knit group of hard-working, like-minded individuals who work to make a difference in others' lives. A great place to grow and thrive in the medical field.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Physically demanding
Busy and Productive
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAMay 8, 2017
If you love to help save lives or at least gain more knowledge in the Emergency Medical Services than this is the place to either work for or intern at.
A good place to start, perhaps
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAApril 11, 2017
Extremely little job security and very little pay compared to its competitors. Perhaps a good place to start as an EMT, but you will get very little out of it.
Pros
Some nice people
Cons
Professionalism
Great Experience
Billing Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CAApril 25, 2016
I had a great time at Royal. I was not trained in billing but it was a great experience for an office environment. I didn't have any issues, but I was I knew I was going to be let go because of my lack of qualifications.
Pros
Social
Cons
Slow and can become boring.
Great place to work, with great supervisors and fun atmosphere
EMT (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAJanuary 24, 2016
• Responsible for providing exceptional patient care on a Basic Life Support ambulance.
• Transfer BLS-emergency patients to local hospitals while providing appropriate ring-downs prior to arrival.
• Thorough and complete patient care documentation.
• Complete inner facility transfers from local hospitals and skilled nursing facilities.
Voted San Francisco Best Places To work
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAMay 11, 2015
Royal Ambulance is truly a great company to work for! I have learned so much in regards to medical and dispatching. I have dealt with numerous situations to gain so much more experience than I had entering the job. The management and my co workers have taught me so much and have been willing to go above and beyond to help me gain knowledge to move to different dispatch positions and learn to perfect the job I am doing.
best bls company in the world
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CANovember 19, 2014
best place to work as a bls emt in the entire bay area. I love the friendly family environment that the management fosters that makes for happy coworkers. hardest part of the job is the pay and the most enjoyable part of the job is helping patients in need to improve the overall quality of life.
Pros
free time and great atmosphere
Cons
low pay initially
Exciting Job
Emergency Medical Technician - B (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAApril 29, 2014
Always had a good shift, whether it was a slow day, or back to back calls. Had a great relationship with my partner. Only reason I had to leave the company is because I moved to another state.
Overall great company to start EMS career
EMT-Basic (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAJuly 14, 2013
Good experience in dealing with patients and working around medical facilities and medical staff.
Pros
nice co-workers, flexible hours
Cons
held over late often, short breaks