RSM Employee Reviews

Productive, culturally inclusive and supportive work culture
Learning Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 11, 2018
RSM values their employees more than anywhere else I have worked. They want to see their employees not only succeed at work but succeed at life and support passions outside of work and do volunteer work in their community. It is by far the best place I have ever worked and the only reason I am not working their now is because I had to relocate. I will be actively looking for RSM opportunities in LA as I genuinely love the company and culture.
Pros
Supportive teams, great break rooms, plenty of coordination between departments
Cons
Can be challenging work but always have support
Work environment is not very accomodating
Senior Associate - Tax Services (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 24, 2018
The workplace culture is very dull. We do not have anything that really sets us apart from any other working environment. Very few work functions to keep employees happy. They rely on compensation and benefits to keep workers happy.
Pros
Healthcare, flexible schedule outside of tax season
Cons
Very long work days with little incentive during tax season
Rsm
Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 23, 2018
I enjoyed my internship experience with RSM. As I feel RSM as a company help me equip myself for corporate America and all it has to offer. I was definitely able to take my skills as I continued to develop within my accounting career.
Middle of the Road Middle Market Firm
Employee (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2018
Generally the people there are good to work with and make this an okay place to work. Firm does seem to have a clear but culture is inconsistent due to all of the mergers and acquisitions that grew the firm. Culture, leadership and quality of people and work varied widely from one office to another and even within different industry teams in the same office. High turnover of staff. Relatively good opportunities for advancement for young professionals. Hours are same as Big 4 without the pay premium though pay is comparable with other national firms. Lack of diversity historically a big issue - firm seems focused on improvements in this area but there remains lack of diversity among the partner and principal groups.
Pros
Good people, okay pay, free coffee
Cons
Inconsistent culture, lack of diversity, hours
Average Work Experience
LEAD Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 18, 2018
Day to day work is what you expect from a public accounting firm especially during busy season. Staff was not the most helpful; I was left to my own devices to produce work.
Pros
Experience, CPE credits
Cons
Long work days, minimal day to day training
Great place to work if you're into Accounting
Consulting Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 14, 2018
The company, culture, and ability to advance to Partner quickly are worth working here and staying here. A love of accounting, audit-type consulting, and serving clients are also musts. It's a great place to work if this is the line of work you want to be in! Couldn't say enough great things about the people and career development opportunities!
Pros
autonomy, own your own schedule
Fantastic management
Word Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Timonium, MDOctober 12, 2018
Great place to work, constantly busy so the days go by quickly, group projects went without a hitch and teambuilding activities actually worked. Great place to work
Consider other options
Business Development (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 10, 2018
This firm is all about doing what is best for their partners. If you are not a partner, then you don't exist in this firm. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy.
Pros
Great people (who are not partners)
Cons
Not interested in input from lower level people.
Productive and fun place to work
Audit Manager - Technology Sector (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 10, 2018
RSM's Boston office is a challenging and fun place to work. I have much respect for my coworkers and was happy to have started my career there. Many of my coworkers I have met over the years, remain very good friends even today
Senior Audit Associate
Senior Audit Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 9, 2018
Traveling to clients and completing the day to day activities of audit engagements, such as confirmations, internal audit control questions, audit testing, questioning clients and writing the audit report.

I learned how to complete an audit and what that entails. I learned how to apply Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Also, how to identify and communicate accounting and auditing matters to managers and partners. I also worked with the tax department and learned how to complete corporate and personal tax returns.

Management was very approachable (for the most part) and easy to communicate with.

The workplace culture was very team oriented and progressive.

The hardest part of the job were the hours, and working with billable hours at that point in my career.

The most enjoyable part of the job was my coworkers.
Pros
The information learned served me through out my career.
Cons
The working hours.
Great work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 24, 2018
All the employees are super nice. Offices are new and nice. Up to date technology. Break room has ping pong table, games, microwaves, coffee, Lattes, TV and many tables to have your lunch.
Pros
Great positive working environment
Cons
More direction
Fast paced Audit, Tax, and Consulting firm
SCHEDULER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2018
A typical day for myself as a scheduler consisted of heavy data entry as well as producing various Excel based reports. I was able to build my Excel skills, trained new employees and teams on our scheduling software. Workplace culture was relaxed, with the understanding that client needs always come first. Work / Life balance was always emphasized.
Pros
Free lunches
Great culture at the mid level positions
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 20, 2018
The company boost a culture of work life balance. They provide a lot of opportunities to get to know your co-workers. There are issues however with over working those who perform and allowing them to fall behind in other goals in an effort to get jobs done. They also only focus on the work life balance for those with families, not those who are single
Pros
Culture, travel, clients
Cons
Ability to have a work life balance when your single
YE 2015 Tax Season
Senior Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  IowaSeptember 19, 2018
Turnover, oh? Competitive pay & obviously working hours vary. SOFTWARE IS EXCESSIVE (even for experienced coming into a smaller RSM office & some of it is so inefficient). I think I disliked it because of my office atmosphere (excluding the auditors).This company really puts you into isolation mode working with complexity that seems absolutely meaningless! Add in demands you don't care about and I knew it was time to leave.
Pros
Maybe good career starter
Cons
Life will be meaningless
CLOUD SYSTEMS ENGINEER SENIOR ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Dubuque, IASeptember 17, 2018
If you are willing to put in the time and effort there are alot of opportunities for advancement. Lots of social advance and good people to work alongside of.
Good with the Bad
Tax Accountant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNSeptember 11, 2018
RSM does a great job at work-life balance. You are able to work odd hours, work remotely, work part-time in the off season. Also there is unlimited PTO which is nice as you just need to get you work done and can take time off. However I feel like I work more with this policy and also no longer accrue PTO when it's unused.

Training is lacking, especially if you are in a specialized industry. The firm won't pay for any external CPE and the internal CPE is not very good. They pressure you to go to their internal CPE conferences which are somewhat sales based.

Compensation is lower than market and bonuses are mostly based on things out of your control. Also there's no motivation to take on new clients or grow the business. The new norm seems to be when people quit or retire, they just hire new staff/interns and expect others to pick up the slack.
Pros
Flexible schedule, unlimited PTO, alternative work arrangements
Cons
Increase workload with departures, low salary, don't pay for external CPE
Generally a good company, but mixed messages as to work needs
Manager, Risk Management - Financial Institutions (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CASeptember 7, 2018
Not enough time allotted to engagements to the proper job, and the audit programs were too general as to the work to be done. Had to spend more time fixing audit work others than they spent on site for the audit. No repercussions to the individual involved. Depressing..
Fun workplace with nice people
Assurance Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 29, 2018
Interning at RSM was a great opportunity to learn more about the accounting industry. It was also a great way to experience the firm culture first hand.
RSM - Really Sketchy Management
Sr. Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 27, 2018
On a typical day valuable energy is wasted on deciphering conflicting messages from management, pleading for support from most departments, and encouraging and retaining defiant staff with a strong sense of entitlement, while managing multiple clients and multiple partners reaping the benefits.
Pros
all the soda you can drink
Cons
Not enough pay for the magnitude of work and aggravation.
RSM - Really Sketchy Management
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2018
On a typical day valuable energy is wasted on deciphering conflicting messages from management, pleading for support from most departments, encouraging insubordinate and entitled associate level staff, and in between managing multiple clients and the partners who reap the benefits.
Pros
descent technology
Cons
not paid enough for the magnitude of work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RSM. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss