RSM Employee Reviews

One of Big 5 Accounting Firms
Associate - Tax Services (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILJanuary 7, 2019
This was my first job out of college and learned a lot. I only left because I was offered a unique opportunity with a hedge fund. Management was demanding but that is the way it is in most accunting firms. If you get your job done everything is great.
Pros
Opportunities to learn
Cons
Hours
Good Company
Senior Audit Associate (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAJanuary 6, 2019
I worked at this company a long time ago so I have no specific comments or anything to review for the company. No comments to pass along to anyone or the public.
Career jump starter
Management Consultant Fin & Acct Sr Associate (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 6, 2019
Great place to work if you are a CPA starting out. Good foundation company to test skills and gain working knowledge first hand for taxes. Fun environment.
Enjoy the flexibility.
Contract Analyst (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 27, 2018
I really enjoy the flexibility with this job, I can work remotely from another state so I can go visit my family more often. I enjoy the culture as well and it is a very team oriented environment.
Pros
Flexibile, laid back, friendly atmosphere
You get what you give
Senior Technology Consultant (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 13, 2018
Nobody should be shocked that public accounting is demanding. I went in expecting to work with smart people and learn something new every single day. And I did.

I am happy I started my career with RSM. Wouldn't change a thing.
Rsm
Tax Associate (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IANovember 28, 2018
RSM is exploding in client growth and appears to be seeking to hire as many qualified people they can. It is an especially good place to start your career as they have national resources but are tied closely to their regional clients in the mid-market range - which range serves to focus all the firm does.
Fun, personable people, team oriented.
Office Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 26, 2018
Wonderful company to work for and awesome people. I always looked forward to going to work, except for the long drive and being so far from my children.
Pros
Great company. Family oriented.
Cons
Too far from home and children. No always room to grow.
Productive, culturally inclusive and supportive work culture
Learning Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 11, 2018
RSM values their employees more than anywhere else I have worked. They want to see their employees not only succeed at work but succeed at life and support passions outside of work and do volunteer work in their community. It is by far the best place I have ever worked and the only reason I am not working their now is because I had to relocate. I will be actively looking for RSM opportunities in LA as I genuinely love the company and culture.
Pros
Supportive teams, great break rooms, plenty of coordination between departments
Cons
Can be challenging work but always have support
Work environment is not very accomodating
Senior Associate - Tax Services (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAOctober 24, 2018
The workplace culture is very dull. We do not have anything that really sets us apart from any other working environment. Very few work functions to keep employees happy. They rely on compensation and benefits to keep workers happy.
Pros
Healthcare, flexible schedule outside of tax season
Cons
Very long work days with little incentive during tax season
Rsm
Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 23, 2018
I enjoyed my internship experience with RSM. As I feel RSM as a company help me equip myself for corporate America and all it has to offer. I was definitely able to take my skills as I continued to develop within my accounting career.
Middle of the Road Middle Market Firm
Employee (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2018
Generally the people there are good to work with and make this an okay place to work. Firm does seem to have a clear but culture is inconsistent due to all of the mergers and acquisitions that grew the firm. Culture, leadership and quality of people and work varied widely from one office to another and even within different industry teams in the same office. High turnover of staff. Relatively good opportunities for advancement for young professionals. Hours are same as Big 4 without the pay premium though pay is comparable with other national firms. Lack of diversity historically a big issue - firm seems focused on improvements in this area but there remains lack of diversity among the partner and principal groups.
Pros
Good people, okay pay, free coffee
Cons
Inconsistent culture, lack of diversity, hours
Average Work Experience
LEAD Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 18, 2018
Day to day work is what you expect from a public accounting firm especially during busy season. Staff was not the most helpful; I was left to my own devices to produce work.
Pros
Experience, CPE credits
Cons
Long work days, minimal day to day training
Great place to work if you're into Accounting
Consulting Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 14, 2018
The company, culture, and ability to advance to Partner quickly are worth working here and staying here. A love of accounting, audit-type consulting, and serving clients are also musts. It's a great place to work if this is the line of work you want to be in! Couldn't say enough great things about the people and career development opportunities!
Pros
autonomy, own your own schedule
Fantastic management
Word Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Timonium, MDOctober 12, 2018
Great place to work, constantly busy so the days go by quickly, group projects went without a hitch and teambuilding activities actually worked. Great place to work
Consider other options
Business Development (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 10, 2018
This firm is all about doing what is best for their partners. If you are not a partner, then you don't exist in this firm. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy.
Pros
Great people (who are not partners)
Cons
Not interested in input from lower level people.
Productive and fun place to work
Audit Manager - Technology Sector (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 10, 2018
RSM's Boston office is a challenging and fun place to work. I have much respect for my coworkers and was happy to have started my career there. Many of my coworkers I have met over the years, remain very good friends even today
Senior Audit Associate
Senior Audit Associate (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 9, 2018
Traveling to clients and completing the day to day activities of audit engagements, such as confirmations, internal audit control questions, audit testing, questioning clients and writing the audit report.

I learned how to complete an audit and what that entails. I learned how to apply Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. Also, how to identify and communicate accounting and auditing matters to managers and partners. I also worked with the tax department and learned how to complete corporate and personal tax returns.

Management was very approachable (for the most part) and easy to communicate with.

The workplace culture was very team oriented and progressive.

The hardest part of the job were the hours, and working with billable hours at that point in my career.

The most enjoyable part of the job was my coworkers.
Pros
The information learned served me through out my career.
Cons
The working hours.
Great work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 24, 2018
All the employees are super nice. Offices are new and nice. Up to date technology. Break room has ping pong table, games, microwaves, coffee, Lattes, TV and many tables to have your lunch.
Pros
Great positive working environment
Cons
More direction
Fast paced Audit, Tax, and Consulting firm
SCHEDULER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2018
A typical day for myself as a scheduler consisted of heavy data entry as well as producing various Excel based reports. I was able to build my Excel skills, trained new employees and teams on our scheduling software. Workplace culture was relaxed, with the understanding that client needs always come first. Work / Life balance was always emphasized.
Pros
Free lunches
Great culture at the mid level positions
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 20, 2018
The company boost a culture of work life balance. They provide a lot of opportunities to get to know your co-workers. There are issues however with over working those who perform and allowing them to fall behind in other goals in an effort to get jobs done. They also only focus on the work life balance for those with families, not those who are single
Pros
Culture, travel, clients
Cons
Ability to have a work life balance when your single

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RSM. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP25%
In the Top 25% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at RSM.

Powered by Comparably