RTD Employee Reviews

A day of working as a Bus Operator
Bus Operator (Retired) (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 20, 2018
The most important focus was the safety of the passengers and bus in a variety of traffic, weather and detours. Multi-task of a variety of issues met every day while driving. Besides the benefits and pay check, I learned how to handle situations personally and professionally at any given time. At times, the fare issue could be a challenge at times. I enjoyed meeting different people and grew stronger in my people skills. I had received much helpful information from passengers and drivers.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Grew Personally and Professionally from a variety of scenarios. Learned many places of Colorado.
Cons
Being late, not paid fares, at times could not get time off for doctor's appointment, stressful job.
Union Strong
Treasury Clerk (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 6, 2018
The Union/Management only cares about each other. Tried to apply for a full-time position that I was already in (I was part-time) and the Union had a clause in the contract that wouldn't allow it. Caught my supervisor sleeping constantly, but what would I do, go to the Union?
Very nice but the job wasnt for me
Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 22, 2018
The pay was great, the management was fantastic. HR left a little to be desired but the job was fun and my coworkers were amazing.
I would've prefered to be working days however
Needs a lot of work
Train Operator (Former Employee) –  Englewood, COMay 22, 2018
Not a great place to work. They over work the new people and because a lot of people are leaving that is just ongoing. They show little support for their union employees and treat them more like garbage. For the union employees it is like RTD and the Union are a divorced mom and dad fighting over what is best but really just messing up the kids life.
This is the place to work ... great benefits !
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Denver, CoMarch 29, 2018
My experience with RTD was great ! Flexible hours benefits .. options to move up and on ... sometimes they will pay for some schooling and have a wonderful summer internships ... anyone in college I strongly suggest to look into the summer internship program !
Rtd sucks, bad benefits and 3rd. Lowest pay in country.
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  1600 BlakeFebruary 18, 2018
You have to make your entire life revolve around rtd desires. Third lowest pay in country, no sick time, loose one day off, until you work here ten years there's no real choice in what routes you work, no good hours, unless you work extra days. Benfits, medical you pay first $2700 before insurance kicks in. Management is by the book, but life isn't... Operators are dying from stress of life and rtd. One lady died in the bus, heart attack..
Pros
All work you can do
Cons
Lowest pay in industry
Mandated to work days off / denied vacation days
Bus or Train Operator (Former Employee) –  RTDFebruary 3, 2018
Not a place if you like stress, treated worse than a number, poor management and favoritism, no time off, no breaks, forced to work days off, decent insurance but good luck in scheduling a doctor appointment or anything else, vacation days denied or never approved, talked down to by supervisors.
Pros
Free transportation
Cons
Not a place if you like stress, treated worse than a number, poor management and favoritism, no time off, no breaks, forced to work days off, vacation days denied or never approved, talked down to by supervisors.
Retirement Home
General mechanic (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 25, 2017
Hi everyone, I'm going to get straight to the point. This is a great place for young people starting out. RTD and there training staff have the power to hire kids right off the street with zero experience and pay them top wages, because they find the loopholes to do so. RTD makes up there own rules ,thank God there's a union. The training department has six different zones you must pass to get top pay, the problem is that these zones are geared towards their young employees, they will pass these guys because their a product of their training department, this of course justifies the training departments existence. The training department will fail you if they don't like you on a personal level. You would think that if you had experience and knew what you were doing, RTD would appreciate that, but of course they don't. So the moral to the story is , if your older , beware, but if you don't know anything and you want to make 55,000 a year ,and of course younger , then go for it. There is no more pension to speak of either. Thanks for reading and good luck.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Political, favortism, cutthroat
Sweet job, recession proof, and for people who love to drive
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CONovember 25, 2017
I have now been at RTD for a year now and am really enjoying it. I think they have fair wages, our union fights hard for us. Plus we have a pension, but you have to stay at least 10 years to be vested.

I work at the Boulder division, there's also a Denver and aurora division. I think the Boulder one is the best. We have a lot of the regional routes (highway routes). Which is what I lean toward. If you want to make stops every two blocks then you would want to go to One of the other divisions. Other drivers say it's more interesting that way. I make stops every few miles and enjoy it that way.

Traffic can be bad, depending on what time of the day your driving. But busses do get to ride the Express lane which makes it better.

In the year I've been here I've never had any problem with needing to go to the bathroom while on the bus. They always have a bathroom on at least one end of your route that you can use and the longest route I've ever done was just over an hour.

I think it's a really good job and at the time overtime is more then plentiful; currently being forced on people with fewer years in the company. I work 6 days a week, but have been given a couple days off in a row a few times. I'm a workaholic so I don't mind it at all. If you have your own route you won't have weekends off for a few years, but if you do want the weekends off at the beginning there is a way to do it. You just have to vote weekly routes, which will mean every week is basically different. They do have day and night runs. If you don't want to do splits then do nights. Splits aren't that
  more... bad, plus they pay you a couple more bucks an hour for doing splits bc it can take 10-14 hours out of your day.

A lot of what I'm telling you is from my experience at the boulder division the other two might be different.

A great place that I definitely plan on staying at, the job security is awesome. No layoffs since the 80s plus if a recession hits more people ride the bus so our job really isn't in that much of jeopardy. Highly recommend for a person with a little flexibility in their schedule. It's tough for the family man, but doable.
Pros
Pay, job security
Cons
Sometimes getting stuck in traffic
Relaxed but poor
Parts Clerk (Current Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 6, 2017
Overall, a very relaxed place. But the pay is now too small considering the cost of living in Denver area. You will need a second job or a significant other to make rent. It seems RTD highly discourages a second job also...
Pros
free mass transit, relaxed atmosphere
Cons
jealous employer, low benefits and wages

Want to know more about RTD?

Ask a question
Not Even 'Bathroom Breaks' on Some Routes !!!
RTD Bus Operator (Driver) (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 26, 2017
My bladder couldn't STAND driving ALL the WAY Across the Denver Metro Area & with Traffic Delays = sometimes I wouldn't even have Time for Bathroom Breaks on Some Routes that More Senior RTD Drivers would NEVER BID on, because they knew which Routes had NICE, Relaxed 'Lay Over' Times between when the Route needed to reverse direction.
Pros
Pay, maybe if you consider EARLY Mornings, Late Nights & sometimes No Bathroom Breaks !!!
Cons
No Bathroom Breaks on the Routes that Senior Drivers would NEVER BID on !!!
under staffed
Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 30, 2017
Quality of work is reduced by under staffing.
This is a stable environment, haven't had any layoffs since 1980's.
Many locations to work at and many different types of jobs.
Fun and productive work place.
Welder (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIAugust 8, 2017
Very professional. It was a very good atmosphere. They had newand state of the art equipment. They really cared about there employee's. I would recommend this job to anyone.

Thanks
Pros
They will buy anything needed for the job
Cons
union diesel shop at its glory!
General Repair Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 31, 2017
well there are three shift that run at the shop. the shop is open 24-7, 365. the work there offers a wide verity or repair's and services. there will never be a day where you are doing repetitive activities. the shop is clean and well lit with new lifts and a newer fleet of buses. the cons of working in a shop like this the that you are part of a union and you have to deal with the union mentality. there is a bunch of finger pointing and whining amongst co-workers and management. if you have never worked in a union shop then this will come as a culture shock to you. the pay is out of date and the pay raises are not worth going through the trouble to get (less then .50) and you only get two a year if you pass the tests. if you are starting out in the mechanic field. then this is not the shop for you. if you are looking for a shop to retire out of as the toll of being a mechanic has you broken and sore in places. well then this is the place.
Pros
clean and well lit shop, newer fleet
Cons
pay, work schedule, work culture, management, union
A lot of work to be offered and good money. Love the public.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 17, 2017
Good money. Plenty of work. For those who want to put in a lot of time working. For people who enjoy the public.
I have nothing against this company. They were fair to me. I am not there because health problems arose on me and I could not pass the DOT medical physical. A person has to be in good physical shape.
Pros
Good money, Plenty of work, For those who want to put in a lot of time working. Have to enjoy serving the public.
Cons
None. Have to want to work. And have plenty of time and effort to put forth in this job.
cool
Light Rail Service and Cleaning Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 12, 2017
overall not a bad place to work. you have great job security, plenty of hours, and are paid well. Just hard to keep a life outside of work until you've gained enough seniority.
Not good
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 8, 2017
over worked- schedule is unacceptable for new hires. Split shifts are no good. Supervisors are not professional . Im still employed here but im looking for another better opportunity
Pros
no free lunches
Cons
short breaks overworked
Great Career
Technical Training Instructor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 28, 2017
Time to move on....Would love to help people get their lives on track....RTD has many opportunities to advance. Classes are available to all employees.
Hardest part of the job was doing CDL Training in which I was a 3rd party instructor for the State of Colorado.
Benefits
Will be your life
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 14, 2017
Rtd will be your life! Forced to work 6 days a week for over 2 years and no end insight. Most days expect to be at work around 14 hours a day. You will have no life outside work. Also you can expect to be verbal and most likely physically assaulted by passengers.
Pros
Free bus pass
Cons
Never saw my kids
Contract position
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 11, 2017
I really enjoyed working at RTD in the purchasing department. Unfortunately it was a contract position and I could not get on full time. The problem was the manager only believed in hiring out of the warehouse and did not believe in hiring who was qualified for the purchasing position.
Pros
Interesting job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at RTD. Our community is ready to answer.