RTN Employee Reviews

Don't walk...run away from this company!
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 21, 2018
Good reviews for this company must be from current management team members. This company has their sales representatives telling potential customers that they will distribute 800,000 Dollar General receipts with the customer's new ad on them within 48 weeks. Dollar General stores only average 600-700 customers per day so how does that math work exactly? It "works" because the company has you chicken scratch it on a piece of paper during the sales presentation and you don't give that to your customer. As a new representative you'll have required conference calls at 8am every morning in the territory you're covering that day even when it's 2 hours from your home. Your company phone is GPS tracked so don't try to miss this call with managers yelling into the phone to try to motivate a very de-motivated sales force. Management is inexperienced/incompetent and the training is not comprehensive enough so you'll be questioning everything you're supposed to be doing when you start in the field. Since the "bonuses" are virtually impossible to reach and the wacky commission structure is something you'll be chicken scratching on a piece of paper during your interview (a structure most managers don't understand) it's not surprising that the sales turnover is very high. But if you like sitting in your car 2 hours from home every weekday (and some weekends) making 80 telemarketing calls per day hoping for that random appointment then this job is for you.
Pros
I don't work there anymore
Cons
I worked there once
September 24, 2018

Thank you for a candid response to what seems to be a position that was not a good fit. All of our advertising is sold in cycles of 12 weeks or 200,000 impressions whichever comes first. If a client chooses to purchase 4 cycles then they get 48 weeks of advertising or 800,000 impressions whichever comes first - this is stated in the sales playbook and also under the terms and conditions on the paperwork (contract) we review and leave with each client at the time of the sale. An average Dollar store we work with sees 3,500 - 5,000 shoppers a week however we have no control over how many of one advertiser's messages might be on a receipt since different shopper's will have different length receipts. The guy that buys a coke and a bag of chips might only receive one coupon for each advertiser on that store while the next customer might buy $50 or $100 worth of items and get 2 or 3 coupons for each client which is why print more coupons than customer visits so we can ensure just about every customer that visits the store will at least get one of each advertiser's messages. Most of our sales rep's find the morning conference calls informative, upbeat and engaging to help get their day started. Outside sales with a high number of cold calls by phone is definitely not for everyone and we are sorry to hear it was not a fit for your skillset. Our bonus and commission structure is outlined in your offer letter, also in your new hire on boarding documents and in your sales rep playbook on page 12 along with a deal work sheet on page 95 and 96 to help you track and measure your success  more... as you work your territory. However if you still have questions regarding any of your paychecks while working with RTN please reach out to anyone on our Human Resources team by email or phone and we'll be happy review your payouts with you one on one. We wish you the best of luck with your next opportunity and sincerely hope that is a better fit.  less

Extremely NOT Easy!! A wonderful culture and the Best Team to be apart of!!
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYAugust 14, 2018
When days are down. I have a Team whom helps lift up those days.
I'm proud when I'm up I can give input as well..
With the Culture we have I can always reach someone..
I have set goals with what we call WTD Formulas.

We have a vision with a plan to execute our WHYs. I also know each week what I have to do to hit my personal ultimate goals.

I like that we can be accountable for our own reasons not the companies reasons..
I too like that I'm coached only for my reasons not anyone else..
I do like the challenge to write my own paycheck each week..
Pros
All of above and most of all I feel appreciated even on days that don't go so well
Cons
My coach is not able to be with me everyday..
August 22, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post a review! We're glad things are going well and you enjoy the culture at RTN!!

Dead end job, industry has no future.
Local Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 2, 2018
Concept is outdated and unable to adapt to a fast changing environment , positive results are low and customer satisfaction is almost zero. Management encourages to lie and deceive customers, renewal rate is around 5% and it is almost impossible to keep a book of business. Management tells you how much money you can make but nobody goes with you to the field and actually show you how to do it in the real world.
Pros
Basic salary
Cons
No benefits, poor Management, outdated concept
June 6, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. If you are open to it we would love to have a conversation about your experience and we're very sorry to hear that you feel you did not have a good opportunity. RTN offers a $35,000 base salary, medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, paid vacation, 401K, short and long term disability insurance as well as an excellent commission structure. If this was not communicated properly that is our fault for not explaining this better during the interview and on boarding process. Most of our manager's are very hands on in their training approach and we would welcome an opportunity to discuss your experience and learn from your feedback to help future employees.

I'm only glad there was a better job out there for me
Technician / QA Inspector (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 29, 2018
It was a starting place leading to no where.The supervisors were not as fluent in the company structure at the time. So I could not gain momentum in learning there business.
Pros
No stress
Cons
No means for moving up
Unlimited Opportunity
Local Marketing Consultant, Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAJanuary 21, 2018
If you’re willing to put in the work, take coaching, and follow RTN’s proven sales process, you will make money. Yes, it’s hard work. Yes, sometimes it’s long hours. Yes, sometimes it’s exhausting. But if you live for closing and want to write your own paycheck, RTN is the place to be.
Pros
Great commission plan, supportive management, opportunities for advancement
June 6, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post a review! We're glad to hear things are going well.

Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 21, 2018
I have been working with RTN since June 2016, I started back into a sales career after working with a large CPA firm for 15 years in a business development marketing position. Working at RTN is extremely rewarding financially and emotional. I enjoy helping our clients achieve their financially security by advertising with the stores we work with. Our program is a keep local program that allows small business get 7 days a week exposure, similar to the national brands advertising campaigns. I work hard every day to achieve my financial goals. My manager helps me every day with my sales abilities and how to overcome certain situations. I enjoy meeting new prospects that I can help get their name out to thousands of people a day. When I visit my client and they have a smile on their face, I have achieved the success that I strive for. I don't feel any part of the job is hard, since I really love working for RTN. If you work hard and motivated to achieve your fiancial goals this is a great fit for you.
Pros
Great income
Cons
Don't have any cons
June 6, 2018

Thank you for providing us some insight into your RTN sales success!

Hard job
Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  ILJanuary 20, 2018
Cold calling lots of people per day with no structured territory. Tend to hold a contract to not pay you on time. Commission only and is low. If a customer does not pay their bill you have to pay back the commission instead of them going after the legal contracts.
Pros
Set own hours, Weekly checks
Cons
Low pay, no mileage, not supported
June 6, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. If you are open to it we would love to have a conversation about your experience so we can learn from your feedback to help future employees.

I don't believe any of these 5 star reviews
Fictitious Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Every location in the countyMay 1, 2017
Glassdoor- come on; what do YOU do about obviously planted positive company reviews? These were all written by the same person, or department, to deceive potential hires. I know this is never going to hit the website, just needed to air this-
Pros
Top level management priding themselves for creativity...
Cons
...and failing miserably. Guys, throw in a 4 star review here and there for credibility
June 6, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We have an open door policy and welcome any questions or feedback regarding the business. If you have some time please visit our company page and take time to look at the customer video testimonials on the main page or the employee video testimonials under the careers page. I hope these can help shed some light on some of your concerns.

Great Culture/ Team Environment
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Watertown, NYJuly 16, 2015
Jump on for a company call at 8 am, its a great call I learned the most from these calls. You will participate in some roll play, also learn whats working from other reps. There is very little supervision, you need to be a hard working individual that has lots of initiative. I liked the fact that there was very little micromanaging. Management was the best part of this company. I could call my regional manager at all hours of the day, and get mentor ship or assistance with a problem. Even the Vice President leaves his number open to call for help. This is the time to join the company, it is growing fast. It seemed every week there were more and more people joining the team. This created several advancement opportunity's. One of my goals was to become a manager. The company worked with me and help me set clear goals on achieving this. I became a trainer which I really enjoyed helping new reps learn and grow. The company has a company wide chat app which made the day exciting, also motivating me seeing reps close big deals! The hardest part of the job is the cold calling. My advice is learn from the other reps, find what works for you to gain as many appointments with fewer dials. I choose to leave due to family issues, and other state opportunity. Although would go back in a heart beat.
Pros
freedom flexible hours
Benefits
You Can Make Great Money at RTN!
Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Charlotte RegionJuly 16, 2015
I've been with the company 4 months working out of the Charlotte Region---and this is one great sales company---pure sales company that believes in rewarding their sales reps!

Managers motivate and inspire daily----they want you to make money and I'm making money. The product is fantastic and gets results for our clients as well as solid ROI.

I enjoy the team atmosphere and my boss is just the best. Wish I had found this company 5 years ago.
Pros
Money, motivation, team spirit!
Cons
They only pay $200 a month for gas and that needs to be more.
Begins with great motivation conference call, fun contest and then sell sell sell.
Management (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaJuly 16, 2015
Great day starts with a motivational conference call for entire sales team including daily contest that allows you to win cash and prizes. Then we get after it calling customers setting appointments and making presentations. Simple and easy is what we do.

I've learned that regardless of what is being sold some will some won't but just keep moving forward and reaching those who will.

Managers are the best. Our managers are always available to assist in anyway even if they're not your direct supervisor.

Co-Workers...Oh my gosh you'll never find a more friendly and fun bunch of team members. They go out of their way to help anyone new or veterans.

There really isn't a part of my job that I consider hard.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the continuous training that has helped me advance into a management role yet I still have leaders who are coaching me for further success. This company is about success for anyone who wants more than a ordinary job.
Pros
A lot of contest that equal opportunity and fun
Cons
Group Holiday parties
Great income potential.
Sales rep (Current Employee) –  MississippiJuly 16, 2015
great earning potential. Management is there for you on a daily basis. Follow the program and you will be successful. If you enjoy outside cold calling sales, this is for you. There is high pressure to make calls and set appts and sell ads.
Great opportunity if you're willing to work
RVP (Current Employee) –  Lake Park, GAJuly 16, 2015
I've been at RTN for several years and the one thing that I can appreciate about this job is you get paid exactly what you're worth. If you are willing to listen and work hard the sky can be the limit but if you're stubborn and lazy you will not make it long term. The best advice I can give anyone who wants to make it is to come into this business with an open mind - forget what you've always done at other companies because chances are it won't work here. We have a proven process that if followed will make you thousands of dollars in commission. If you want a job where you can get on the fast track to management this is it! There is no seniority here if you're willing to put in the time and effort you will be rewarded.
Pros
Great pay with excellent incentives and bonuses
Cons
It's hard work if you just want to an easy paycheck working 9-5 this isn't the job for you
Rtn – t.C.O.B.
Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 15, 2015
RTN is a great place to work and has amazing people to work with as well. I have been with RTN for two years now and I am glad to call this home. I had started off with minimal experience and with excellent training, support and coaching throughout; I have been promoted within the company! RTN has given me the opportunity to prove myself and be rewarded for it. We are about the numbers, but we are about having fun too. Management is very supportive and communicates with all departments of the company. If you’re looking for the opportunity to make money based off of your performance, I feel like this is the place to be.
Pros
Management Understands people have lives outside of work, the work life balance at RTN is ideal for me, finally a company that realizes that people have responsibilities that fall into “banker’s hours”!
Cons
An ever changing environment. We are continuously adjusting and adapting to the current market needs, which brings change. It can be challenging at times but with the great team atmosphere here, we go with the flow, quickly grasp the new game plan and rock it!
Good company
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, New YorkJuly 9, 2015
I actually love this company, my managers were some of the best leaders i've had the pleasure of working with. The pay is structured to make you really work for it. I would of continued to work for them if life circumstance didn't require me not to travel.
Pros
team environment
Cons
commission structure
decent workplace
Senior Integration Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 21, 2014
• Setup and troubleshoot small to mid size networks for several small businesses
• Setup Windows 7 and Server 2008 networks
Most unorganized company ever!
Sales Rep. (Former Employee) –  Greenville SCAugust 18, 2014
This company really needs an overhaul! Management is terrible...they work with you one half day then throw you to the wolves. They make promises they don't keep. They dont return phone calls during the day. I wasnt sure what they were doing all day.
The product is nearly impossible to sell. Price is too high, everyone has tried it and it didnt work.
Seems to me as if they hire people and set them up for failure.
Pros
Cons
Way to many to name.

Comment – March 29, 2017

Thank you for your feedback about management. We are very concerned to hear that your experience with Register Tape Network did not match our goals for a supportive work environment. If you’d like to share more about your experience, please contact our Director of Human Resources at HumanResources@ShopperLocal.com.

Great Concept But Poorly Administered
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Greenville/Spartanburg SCJune 19, 2014
I studied media sales in college and always wanted to dabble in it and see if it was a good fit for me. Coming back to work after raising my boys, I saw an ad for ShopperLocal to sell advertising on register tape. I had noticed the coupons and ads and thought the concept brilliant. They offered me a job. I went through the training impressing everyone there, but when I got out in the field I found it very difficult to re-sign former customers because of shady dealings. First I thought it was just a bad rep in that area. Then I was hearing horror stories from every company that had dealt with them in the past. Some said they tried to sue but their lawyer said it wasn't worth it. Then management told me our name had changed to Register Tape Network and that we had been bought. Come to find out, they flip the name back and forth every few years and say they were purchased to try to get back into markets they have a bad reputation in.
Pros
flexibility, and freedom to do my job alone, and unsupervised. $1200 bonus my second week
Cons
Company's bad reputation in marketplace

Comment – March 29, 2017

Thank you for sharing your concerns. Decades of experience in local business marketing mean we have built a national reputation we are proud of. But you’re right, if we provide poor customer service, installs aren’t handled properly of efficiently, or the ad’s copy is not compelling, these factors can significantly affect renewal rates. This is why we invest heavily in the training of all our employees. If you’d like to share more about your experience, please contact our Director of Human Resources at HumanResources@ShopperLocal.com.

Great management, good commissions, pressure to sell a certain amount each month or you lose salary, but over all loved my job
Local Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  home basedApril 18, 2014
Fun place but strict work environment.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJuly 11, 2012
This is a fun place to work but has a strict work environment. There is not much room for mistakes to be made. Communication between owners and managers and employees is not very good. You are supposed to know what is expected of you even when it changes day to day and figure it out for yourself. Overall the regular customers are great and it is a nice place to work if you can handle the ever changing rules and other changes within the workplace.
Pros
discount on food for employees, nice work environment, friendly atmosphere.
Cons
no benefits, not much opportunity for advancement, high turnover rate, strict work environment