ruan Employee Reviews

My driving was regional and was able to be home every weekend.
Line Driver (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IA 50309May 29, 2018
Communication with dispatcher and driver was good. Sometimes my loads weren't ready till later in the afternoon and expected to head on out and drive. Did a lot of night driving.
Pros
Being home every weekend
Cons
Late night driving
Steady work
Class A Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 27, 2018
Great company to work for. Benefits are good and your co workers are great. The job is working nights and not much time off for family. Lots of hauling and moving bread.
Competive to today’s standards in transportation
Truck Driver Class A (Current Employee) –  Holiday City, OHMay 13, 2018
Competive compensation and benifits. Due to contract and customer demands poor schedule and family life was end result. The higher end management at corporate level is good however bottom local management has ongoing issues.
Pros
Compensation, benifits
Cons
Working hours
Do your reseach
n/a (Former Employee) –  rather notMay 4, 2018
Left a good job to go work for this company. Month later they said they are closing the doors.They would not give me a layoff so i could get a head start on finding a new job. Helped them for a month moving out along with using my own equipment and working well over 40 hours to help them out for nothing. Did not seem right.
Pros
Did not work there long enough to find out
Cons
Did not work there long enough to find out
it was ok
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Fridley, MNMay 1, 2018
it was ok and sad that the terminal closed down but things happen for a reason even tho i felt like i hated the job. would consider another terminal. each terminal is different!
Pros
pay
Cons
everything
Productive and fun
Driver Recruiting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 19, 2018
a place to work, good benefit but they could be better with medical, it sucked. good to see a company still offers a bonus. Depends on which department you are in, it could be cut throat and not a lot of training. The on board process also bites, felt like I was left alone.
ok place to work
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Mason City, IAApril 11, 2018
ok place to work it was a stepping stone for me. Over night shift not my thing also it was a job and I wanted to move up there was no room for advancement at that time.
Im thinking, about going back
Driver (Former Employee) –  Holiday City, OHApril 9, 2018
I'm thinking about reapplying, hopefully I didn't burn the bridge and can get my job back. I never should've left the company
It wasn't perfect but I never should've left
Pros
Steady work
Cons
The old manager who is gone now
Excellent Pay and Benefits
Semi-Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Decatur, INMarch 30, 2018
Food grade tanker trailers and well maintained newer Tractors. Excellent Job would rate the best of my career. Had hoped to retire there but Ruan was so under bid during a contract with Bunge Corp. by Prime that we had no chance of keeping it . Great People to work around the Best ! However like everywhere else there were those to avoid . Had probably the Best Manager in the buisness . You did your job and he left you alone .
Pros
Great Pay and Benefits
Cons
runs to New Jersey and Toronto sometimes. Border crossing at Detroit Being the Worst !
fast-paced, 24/7
Sr. Logistics Support Rep/Dispatch Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXMarch 28, 2018
Great company to work for.
Typical days are long because transportation is a 24/7 industry.
Management is great and the culture is supportive.
There are opportunities for growth.
Poor Management Allowing Negative Envrionments
Information Technology Analyst (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 27, 2018
Be extremely careful if you are considering a role within Ruan IT. The department is an extremely fractured state and it is allowed to be that way by those that are called "leadership". Leadership continues to praise and promote under achieving employees while hard working employee's continue to take on more and more work and get ridiculed. Management at multiple levels are not consistent with their practices, communication and delivery of commitments to the business and the employees they manage.

Beware, Be Leary, Don't accept the answers at face value, do your homework before joining such a dysfunctional environment
Pros
Flexibility in Scheduling
Cons
Long Hours, Poor Director Leadership, Poor CIO Leadership
Corporate Management is out of touch. Local Management overworked.
Ops Management (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 13, 2018
Overworked out in the field in many divisions. Corporate is oiut of touch however they recently announced plans to have off hours support for the field.
Let employees go for small issues
IT (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 2, 2018
Even though they are trying the comoany.is not organized, nor do deoartments work with eachother. Many employees being let go for small issues like being late. Takes a while to learn the systems and with the fast turn over in every department it is concerning.
Cons
Expected to work after hours, job does consume your life because.of lack of employees.
can be a fun place to work.
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Rogers, MNMarch 1, 2018
Good job to start learning ,shipping process to load and unload trucks.RF scan process to inventory. pick product from inventory for shipment also RF scan.pack product,ensure proper labeling.
Very busy, hard work. Typical/tradition Diesel Shop
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 23, 2018
A typical day at Ruan consisted of annual inspections and preventative maintenance on tractors and trailers for the fleet. This, in combination with drive occurred damage repairs and other faults to the tractors and trailers. Any and all repairs. I learned a lot about diesel systems and shop flow. Management had a clear chain of command , I reported to my lead tech who reported to the shop manager and up from there. If lead was gone I could report to the shop manager with no issues. Work place culture was traditional and as to be expected from a Diesel Shop. The hardest part personally was the hours in combination with schooling. My shift was 2nd , from 3pm-11:30pm , they would work with it if I needed extra time for school, but obviously no one wants to loose out on money to be earned. Most enjoyable part was constantly learning, you saw the same tractors and trailers as it is fleet so learning the problems came fast speeding up you work. Job is hourly though.
Pros
Pros seemed like competitive pay, fleet work so same jobs repetitive problems easy to learn.
Cons
Late shift, hourly if you like flat rate, mondane at times due to the repetitiveness of issues.
Schedule
Driver/Yard Driver (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 19, 2018
Ruan was able to allow me he work schedule i wanted and it is an overall good company. Management could be better when communicating and instructions for their employees.
Poorly managed transport company
Technician 2 (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 17, 2018
Never have I seen such a poorly run Transportation company . I feel Ruan will get bought out by another company or lose the current contract with Air Liquide.
Pros
Long lunches with managers
Cons
No job security
a stressful relationship with managment, but overall good local job
Truck Driver/Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 7, 2018
management did not seem to be at all interested in helping solve any problems. just blame the driver,
it was home every day they payed a somewhat decent salary
for hazmat tankers it should have been more.
I enjoyed the local routes
Friendly Atmosphere
Accounting Associate (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 6, 2018
A typical day at Ruan consists of a very relaxing and stress free workplace. My manager specifically has been great to me and if I could speak on behalf of the rest of the team I think they would agree! She is always a helping hand and a very willing one at that. I would easily say the same about my team as a whole, everyone is willing to help when someone is in need and they are caught up. They are the true definition of a team.
Pros
Free coffee and water!!
Priductive and fun
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GAFebruary 6, 2018
Few employees. We all pitched in to help each other. Very relaxed environment. Most enjoyable part of job was I left at times to get infomation5fron customers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ruan. Our community is ready to answer.