Rubio's Coastal Grill Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great food
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJuly 17, 2018
Great benefits and delicious food. Free meals for managers and flexible schedules. A lot of busy days but they hire the right people and make it fun. The days go by very fast.
Establishment provided excellent customer service
Cashier/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAJuly 16, 2018
* Handled receptionist responsibilities such as greeting customers, filing paperwork, scheduling client services, and filing paperwork

* Answered telephone calls and provided excellent customer service

* Swept, mopped, vacuumed, dusted, and waxed floors

* Dusted, cleaned ceiling fans, cleaned blinds, and clean windows

* Cleaned residential and commercial establishments
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Tempoary work
Work was fun, but too many problems
GSA/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Norco, CAJuly 15, 2018
I didn't mind any of the work I was asked to do and made sure I did everything as perfectly as I could. However, working there was a huge hassle to me. First off, they wouldn't give me more than 2-4 hours a week. Then, the app that gave employees their schedules was glitchy and I kept going in to work when I wasn't supposed to, or missing days because of it. The worst was that they barely trained me and I kept making embarrassing mistakes because no one told me anything.
Fun work
Line 1,2 3&4 line cook (Former Employee) –  Lake Nona, FLJuly 15, 2018
Great work place when i worked there... 50% off on food for employees...which was the best thing about the job for me... Alot of multitasking if required working for Rubio's
Decent work place
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJuly 14, 2018
Decent place to work while you are going to school. Flexible work hours per week. Management can be a little better but overall definitely a good environment to work in.
Fun work place
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJuly 14, 2018
Very fun place to work, managed more than 35 employees the food was great, worked well with everyone i enjoyed serving all of the guests, I also had fun training lots of new people.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Salary long working hours
its a 50/50 hate or love for the workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brea, CAJuly 13, 2018
some days it runs perfectly and some days it doesn't, the only rush they get its during lunch so from 11:30 to 2pm its busy, and the food takes awhile to be taken out, the silverware needs to be washed and clean again , basically there is too much to do in so little time and it gets stressful. management doesn't know how to be professional, if they are upset with an employee they say something right in front of customers and it embarrassing and also they have a really bad attitude and they just to know to manage a location , no commuincation
Very stressful work environment
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Coconut Creek, FLJuly 10, 2018
Very competitive hours and poor management. Would not recommend employment here. They will cut hours majorly after 3 months of employment. Very small kitchen to work in.
Stressful
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Rolling Hills Estates, CAJuly 2, 2018
Bad long term job but decent first job so you can realize the hardships of having to work for management that only cares about profits. Employees are of low concern.
Amzing job
Line Cook - Line 1 & 3 (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJune 29, 2018
Most versatile and efficient job. Learned to work in a fast-paced environment. Close to my school so commuting to work was easy. Managers knew how to handle situations & customers
Fun place if you find the right manager
Shift Leader/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAJune 27, 2018
My manager made it horrid to work here, however i loved the food and watching people smile because of it. Super fun to work with your teams and go to the classes
Great experience and productive work place.
Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJune 25, 2018
Awesome work crew and work place. Every member is part of a family everyone is so nice and friendly. I loved my job. I would greet costumers and take in their orders as well as serve their food straight to their tables. I love how Rubio's employees work.
Pros
The 1st two weeks you get free lunch and half the price after the two weeks.
Cons
It only had one restroom.
Unprofessional
Line Cook/Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CAJune 16, 2018
I was hired quick, within 2 days of applying. There is no real training. You just get put at a station and have to watch and teach yourself if you ever want to have more of a role. Boss always has something to complain about, and can never admit to fault. Will help In the kitchen but when we get busy she leaves without warning.
A positive and fast-paced workplace
Cook (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAJune 14, 2018
There is a great atmosphere that you can feel when coming in to work. Everyone is very friendly and management are very understanding when it comes to making sure that the workplace is a comfortable one.
Pros
Discounted meals
Cons
Short breaks
Fast pace work
SHIFT LEADER (Former Employee) –  Santee, CAJune 12, 2018
You'll see a lot of workers come and go as this is a fast food job. Not many people take it very seriously which leads to some workers who don't really care about their job. You'll find yourself in a problematic shifts more than you should because some people don;t come in leaving the store short handed. Management could be better when it comes solving store problems and handling bad employees
Poor Management
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Clovis, CAJune 10, 2018
A typical day at Rubio's you come in to lazy people huddled around the manager desk stirring up drama about other coworkers which creates a toxic relationship among the workplace. Then once they realize you're on the clock they clock out and leave you with a messy kitchen, barely anything prepped for the day, and you have to handle tickets at the same time. The managers are clearly unexperienced and have no clue what they're doing.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Low Pay and Bad Managers
good opportunity for students
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 7, 2018
This company has good opportunities for students by offering schedules that fit with the students availability. However, this is not the best company if planning to grow as an employee.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Hill, CAJune 6, 2018
The culture here is very fun. Typical responsibilities are fresh preparation of recipes, marinating, and chip frying. Restaurant is made up of several kitchen positions.
Good food in stressful surroundings
COOK (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 30, 2018
The only thing that I really couldn't stand about working for Rubio's was the constant turnover of management and the never-ending list of rules and violations.
Pros
half off food
Cons
ten bosses breathing down your neck
Productive and fast pace environment!
CASHIER/GSA (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 29, 2018
I open Monday- Friday, 9:30am-4:30pm. Once i clock in, I go straight to my opening routine for the front of the house. Normally it'll take me an hour or less, depending what was done the night before. I would say that I've learned while working there is that I have to on top of everything before its deadline. The workplace culture is very fast paced due to that we have a lot of caterings on top of our lunch rush hours. Our lunch rush hours varies to 2-3 hours.I would have to say the hardest part of my job is working under pressure when we are short staff because not only do i have to take orders, I'm constantly answering the phone, taking out food to the guests in the dining room, restocking, and sometimes dealing with the unhappy guests, due to us being short staff. The most enjoyable part of my job is making the guests laugh! Making them feel comfortable and welcomed to Rubio's. I share a few jokes here and there, I remember their Names, always greet guests with a smile, but I would have to say that the staff at Rubio's make it worth it all! We're like a family.
Pros
Half off food! Unless you're a SL (shift leader) or MANAGER.
Cons
Communication and hours.