Rubio's Coastal Grill Employee Reviews

Rubio’s
Cashier/Waitress (Current Employee) –  Vallejo, CAFebruary 7, 2019
A great place to work! Friendly, fun, and great customers! Work was fast-paced and never boring! The crowd was high energy! Do-workers were fantastic! Many opportunities for advancement! Daily incentives kept the job interesting! All smiles!
Pros
Discounted lunches
Cons
No cons!
great food great service equals more profit
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 7, 2019
number one priority deliver a great experience
team work make a big difference in the restaurant business
learn how to work with PNL business review
Pros
great place to work
Cons
not enoug budget
No longer a people place
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAJanuary 22, 2019
Its all about the money. the stores have high turnover of employees. No one wants to stay bcuz the pay is low. People get more when they are hired then the people working with the company for years. When you are a manager they want you to work 50 hours minimum but is always more. When I had no manager to help me i would work all day and not get anything from rubio's. you get over time pay but the people do not thank you.
Pros
discounts, fast paced
Cons
no support or incentive
Good coworkers but the job itself is not enjoyable
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJanuary 17, 2019
The customers were generally the worst part of the job. Most were indifferent, some were polite, and a few were very unpleasant. I did get to know some of the regulars, and they were cool, everyone liked when they came in.

My coworkers were friendly and knew what they were doing, as did most of the managers, but no one was confident the GM knew how to do her job well.

I was promised a raise that I never received. The only raise I actually received was the state minimum wage increase.

I wasn't given much opportunity to learn how to work the kitchens, despite asking numerous times and watching other cashiers be transferred to the kitchen.
Pros
Discounts at Zoyo next door, good coworkers
Cons
No mobility, no free meals
Fast pace friendly environment
Cook/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAJanuary 17, 2019
The job is very fast pace. The environment is not for everyone but it is friendly and fun when we’re not busy. The pay is unfair among coworkers due to lack of raise/promotion and hiring at a higher wage compared to someone who got hired a year before for example.
Pros
Discount for friends and family
Cons
Unfair breaks, low staff
Unprofessional and aggravating workplace
GSA (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 15, 2019
I worked at Rubios for almost a year. In that year I was left in the Kitchen by myself every night while the rest of the workers went on a 1 hour smoke break. Upon their return I was yelled at for not going to get them as soon as a customer walked in. They also required me as a 17 year old to work an 11 hour shift with no break and no food and then insisted I stay another 2 hours. The manager laughed at me when I asked for a break and a cook told me I was too young to be tired.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
Almost no breaks. Unprofessional work environment
Not worth anyones time.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Murrieta Hot Springs, CAJanuary 6, 2019
I you like to get high and work around food while the manager literally sits and stares at the computer, then this is a place for you. Playing favorites and cutting other workers hours is the name of the game here. In the beginning it might seem like everything is shaping up to look like a steady job but when it's time to actually work, you will find yourself screwed if you haven't made friends with certain people. Don't expect any help from your co-workers because they will most likely be outside getting high and not caring what you need to get done. Hope this helps people.
Pros
You get a discount on food.
Cons
Management.
Terrible
Cashier/Server/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 5, 2019
One of the supervisors that I worked with was sexists. It made my already horrible experience even worse. I dreaded going to work. They only assigned one closer to clean and reset the entire restaurant while the supervisor or manager would hang out in the office.
Laid back atmosphere
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 31, 2018
The best part of working here was the people. The company itself is ok. It's fast food without the hassle of fast food. Your schedule is all over the place, but it is flexible.
Stressful
Cashier (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CADecember 31, 2018
It was a difficult working environment. The managers were rude, the employees were rude. They were always involved in drama. Would not recommend to anyone.
Poor enviornment
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVDecember 27, 2018
My manager was inappropriate many times. Pay was terrible and despite me asking many times to progress in the company I was never allowed. My manager would demean me in front of others. The environment was terrible.
Pros
Gave me time off
Cons
Inappropriate comments from manager.
horrible location due to manager
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Chula Vista, CADecember 27, 2018
only did orientation, manager never gave me a schedule nor did she advise me that I wouldn't be put on schedule. so I don't know what a day st rubios is
Customer are real friendly, fast past, easy to catch on
Dishwasher/Busser (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CADecember 23, 2018
Working there was fine night shift was lazy and never did anything. I no longer work there due to transportation but it was a great job. if I lived closer I would probably still work there
Pros
Customer are friendly, free lunch
Cons
Rude employee, lazy managers
God awful corporate management
SHIFT LEAD (Former Employee) –  RSM, CADecember 15, 2018
Really not much to say except corporate management will not intervene until it is too late and the restaurant has slid too far from the standard. Would work much better as a franchise and the District Managers do not seem to care about any of the day to day operations.
Sweet job
Expeditor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 12, 2018
1/2 off the food which is great! People & environment was great & enjoyable. However, those who wanted a promotion kept getting refused, while having to do a manager’s job themselves a couple of times. Just not a forever job for me.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Easy job but poor management skills
GSA (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CADecember 8, 2018
Worked as a GSA in high school for a little over a year. At first, they gave me lots of hours, but then I barely had 8 hours/week 3 months after I started. Manager made me feel unwelcome and guilty at times for not being able to cover someone else's shift. Manager had definite employee favorites and that made me not want to come to work anymore. The job is only fun if you have a fun crew. We would have people quit without 2 weeks notice which hurt our schedule and work load. Some GSAs had to do cooks' job because we were low on staff and we weren't even paid the same amount as a regular cook's job. Only apply to Rubio's if you're in it for part time. Store was robbed a couple times too.
Pros
50% Employee Discount
Cons
Poor scheduling, poor management
Too many changes in upper management
General Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 29, 2018
It is extremely hard to follow a company core value and mission statement when the upper level ( Field and Home Office ) management is constantly changing and views or outlooks change by email at most times. It is great to have a vision and even better to go with the flow however, it is difficult to grow and flourish when those values change too often. It is much better to learn a company and slowly suggest / introduce new thoughts. It does not trickle down correctly. Your store teams will always go by the way they operated in the past and always comment don't worry another change will come soon and we will go back to old habits and not accept change.
This was just a job and not a career
Guest Services/Cook (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 26, 2018
I felt as though I were there only to make money and not to be a productive and valuable employee. This company did not listen to what employees had to say as far as improving systems.
my day
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZNovember 17, 2018
my day is always fun. i work with people i like. i enjoy seeing our regular customers. i have learned alot about how to be a leader in these few years i have been here and expect to learn alot more and maybe rise more.
Bad Manager, Inflexible Hours, Cool Coworkers.
GSA (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CANovember 12, 2018
Terrible place to work. Horrible manager. Was told that the schedule would be flexible, definitely isn't. Extremely stressful. Good Starter Job, definitely can't recommend staying longer than 3 months.
Pros
50% off.
Cons
Short breaks, GSA's do everything.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rubio's Coastal Grill. Our community is ready to answer.