Ruby Receptionists

Ruby Receptionists Employee Reviews

United States42 reviews
This is most definitely a call center. However, the company will use an entirely different language to describe work. Different words for managers, breakrooms, PTO, and sick time. It can get confusing. No quotas, however, you are expected to maintain a percentage of timeliness, amount of time you are at your desk, breaks, and time off of calls in meetings. If you can ignore all the drama and stick to a routine that makes you successful then this job can be long term. The job pays out well. KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
Pros
Health Insurance, Dental, 401k, fitness classes for free, fitness reimbursement
Cons
Micro-managing, Lack of PTO and Sick time afforded to you.
I was incredibly excited for this job after hearing about the pay, which is fantastic for my area (Kansas City), and the amazing benefits as well. The office is such a beautiful and relaxing environment. You can definitely tell this company cares about their employees and wants everyone to enjoy the job. But unfortunately I would not recommend this job for anyone with mental health issues, specifically anxiety. The job is truly taxing, and an 8 hour shift feels like 24. You will get tired of talking and tired of people being frustrated with you very quickly. I also feel like my training group was thrown to the wolves. I remember being told it would be longer during my interview. More time spent on training would have been very appreciated, and more resources for dealing with angry people or god forbid you have a mental breakdown halfway through your shifts like I did my first 2 weeks.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, friendly coworkers, amazing office, inclusivity
Cons
Boring, slow, emotionally draining, super short training
Here is the thing about Ruby, it's grown a lot in a very short amount of time. No longer Ruby Receptionists, it's now Ruby, with 5 offices in 3 states and 24/7/365 coverage and chat support. I love the new CEO, Kate, but that doesn't change the fact that Ruby is still a call center. It's a good one. They try to be the best they can be and I do see and recognize that. It's still a company and the bottom line matters more that anything. Front line employees don't get to take advantage of most of the perks of working at Ruby because they are tethered to a phone and/or computer for their entire shift, with two 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch. Taking close to 200 calls a day and being expected to be fast and error free in all messages is stressful. Not being able to follow through on anything the callers need and the lack of agency in being able to troubleshoot for them is beyond frustrating. If you need a job and want something to tide you over for a year or two, give Ruby a try. I'm not leaving with a bad taste in my mouth, just major burnout and relief that I was able to identify that the sources of my burnout were not going to change any time soon. Be aware that the location you're hired on for will affect the perks you get. Not all offices are identical and the only unlimited free snacks are for the employees at HQ now. And pay attention in your training. Those metrics they gloss over are actually very important and you will be asked to meet them VERY soon after you are on the floor. They will work with you to help you improve, but improvement is expected to maintain - more...
Pros
Occasional snacks, free coffee and creamer, fitness room, progressive company politics.
Cons
Strict schedule, stringent metrics, unclear expectations, disconnect between corporate staff and front lines reality.
A community based, innovative company that truly values employees and clients. There are lots of opportunities to grow and advance within the organization.
Overall, Ruby's work culture is excellent. Very friendly atmosphere and strong enablement in the majority of departments. It did not translate to the new Marketing management. Very uncollaborative, sycophantic and "please me" management style made it hard to take pride and ownership in one's work. The team seemed to stay in "cya" mode at all times, so the knives were always out to maintain favorite status. It is unfortunate, because Jill Nelson was an excellent president and leader at Ruby and it does not reflect well her collaborative vision.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
This place is lije high school. Enough office politics to just about make you sick. When they let me go I was not allowed to go through the procedure of having 3 warnings. It went from one to you're fired.
I love the coworkers/culture. The benefits are great and the yearly pay rate increase is generous, but it has been progressively harder to do the job well...Understaffed, and no breaks between calls. No time off, even for doctors appointments. The work/life balance is not sustainable for any sane person. It breaks my heart that Ruby is not the company it was.
It was a great experience to work for Ruby Receptionists. I loved my time there and would recommend anyone to apply! The people, the culture, the work - All wonderful.
I spent a couple of years with this company and even had the chance to go through a huge acquisition which was terrifying for a lot of people. This company was amazing for awhile. It felt like a breath of fresh air, the entry level pay is incredible, co-workers are cheerful, you get alcohol during celebrations and tons of food! Benefits are really good and in general, it was a great place to be. That will always be there but it will not mask the favoritism, lies, and more coming from the leaders. It is really hurting your company to have members of leaders who are so quick to tell you teary-eyed that you will always have a choice and always have options and then flip a switch on you when that becomes a reality. Instead, of talking to you like a human you are treated like you are nothing but a number to them and dismissed without a doubt, especially when you were pretty good at your job and never had much trouble come your way. Training for leaders is the bare min. you get a chance to do a few learnings here and there but nothing is extensive or hands on. It is all over a computer and then entails ONE 30 minute meeting over it without any question to bring it up again. Lower level managers are subject to tons of verbal abuse and hate from both ends. Your employees can be absolutely vicious to you without any kind of support to back you up. Normally, you may get some "advice" but that is about it. Even if they are spreading nasty rumors to ruin your character, nobody is going to help you. The entry level pay is a beautiful 15 an hour! Very nice. Leaders are making decent money - more...
Ruby is a great company if you’re not looking for something super long term. They likely won’t keep you that long anyway. But the pay and benefits are great. Direct management can be great or awful depending on your luck of where they put you. Upper management and the executive team are only about the bottom line. They will tell you all the time how much value you bring, but never follow through.
8 hours a day, 200+ phone calls, strict time schedule and an obscenely misguided culture. Upon hiring, they go over all the perks you will have, pay scale and lightly touch on the metrics used to grade your performance, but do not go into the stress that you must deal with on a daily basis. Yes, you get health care benefits, and sometimes there are fun activities that are office wide... but that does not make up for the hundreds of calls a week you have dealing with upset callers, abusive language you must sort through, the time cracking breaks you are allotted and candy coated language that is used in the office.
Management is there for you to speak to, but beware! While they do care about your life and struggles, it is imperative to remember that they are in fact your manager and not your friend. They are there to protect the company, not you.

The other receptionists are all amazing, very friendly people. There can be bad apples, but that is the same with everywhere you can find work. Cubicles can be decorated, and personalized however you would like, as long as they do not ruffle any feathers.

When dealing with intense emergencies, changes in management and other overwhelming situations, there is little support other than your other receptionists, who are also having to deal with their processing. Sometimes, money is thrown at the situation, or a distraction is made with some fun party, so that it can "ease your mind" and you forget what the issue may have been. Management enjoys framing consistent changes as "just part of the Ruby way", however this does not relieve
 - more...
Ruby receptionist is a very innovate company. They are currently expanding and incorporating tons of new, modern values into there work. They really care about there employees and keeping a great work environment.
Its easy to say that Ruby is just another call center until you've worked in other call centers. Ruby is nothing like anything I've encountered before, and I have a lot of call center experience. Theres a high call volume most of the time, but the company is generous with breaks (15 minutes rather than 10, plus an additional 20 minutes per shift that you can use for whatever you want) and half hour lunches. You can sign up to leave work early if volume allows for it and it doesnt affect your company availability. This company CARES about its employees, and you're made to feel it. It's not perfect, what business is? But as far as call centers go Ruby is the Cadillac.
Pros
Supportive community, snacks often available, benefits and pay, PTO and unpaid planned time off to access, ease of accessto shift switch, regular raises NOT based on performance, 5 year gift of 5 week paid sabbatical
Cons
Pay could be higher for where we live. I still don't make a living wage by working here alone, but its still higher than you'll find for any other receptionist position.
Employees are called receptionists but realistically we work in a very busy call center. The job requires quickly adjusting from answering a phone for a prestigious law firm to a 1-show guy that does handyman work to a high end spa and salon. Maintaining composure while callers yell at you is a must and you must be quick to find information or get calls transferred. The management is a bit underwhelming. Many are harsh and expect nothing but perfection, others are lax and have low standards for you and them, too. They do pay decently for a call center and the benefits aren’t bad at all. The culture is open and welcoming and they DO try to have a positive environment. Compared to other call centers I’ve worked, it’s about average. It is easy to get on at Ruby but harder to maintain employment due to expectations of management (becoming a Ruby Robot that sounds JUST like everyone else, maintaining a very high call volume & praying that you don’t get sick during your first 30 days).
Pros
Free food on Mondays, a lot of small appreciation events, good benefits, better than avg pay for receptionists
Cons
Conforming to Ruby expectations, very short breaks and lunches for people that have to talk 8 hours a day.
Ruby was an amazing company to work for, they offered amazing benefits, have a really great sense of community, and the management genuinely cares about you and your wellbeing. Although these things are great, the job itself can be really difficult especially emotionally/mentally. As a receptionist you have to answer for all types of businesses including law firms, the nature of the calls can be pretty heavy and you're expected to take 200+ a day. The job was not a great fit for me, unfortunately, but I will truly miss the culture, management, and company itself as it had been the best company I had worked for.
Pros
Benefits, culture, sense of community, management
There isn't as much room to advance as you think going in, unless you already have sales/management/marketing experience. If you can handle the high call volume and balance the stress, you will adore this position.
Ruby is a wonderful, fun, caring place to work. The environment is fast paced and challenging. However, you receive the right amount of training and updates to keep you knowledgeable in your job. I appreciate the ability to speak to different Companys on a daily basis.
Pros
Fun, Fast, great culture
Cons
Rude customers.
Ruby is a place that fosters a culture that is beyond it's time. The kind of people that you work with will help you be the best version of yourself. The job itself will drain your emotional empathy and make you question your sanity some times. You will be surrounded by people who are creative and create a workplace that is worth coming into. You will answer a lot of calls, hear a lot of different voices, stories, ringtones, and hang ups... but if your me... you get sick a lot. I would recommend Ruby to any and everyone who is customer focused and impactful.
Ruby is a quickly growing company so things are always changing rapidly. This is truer in the Marketing Department than anywhere else. In the 5+ years I worked there, the company went through four different marketing leaders and four different marketing strategies. This made it difficult to create a steady working environment for employees working in this department. However, other departments had more consistent leadership and strategies that seemed, at least from the outside, to make for a more cohesive team and better departmental culture.

Outside of my department, Ruby is a great place to work but it's definitely not for everybody. My favorite part of working there was always the people--they hire for personality above all else so you can be sure that you're working with some of the friendliest, most caring, talented, and genuine people in the world.
Pros
Employee recognition, profit sharing, benefits, co-workers, beautiful workspaces, fun events, some truly talented and approachable leadership
Cons
Work/life balance, troublesome middle managers, lack of loyalty to long-time employees, unclear expectations/lack of leadership/poor morale in the marketing department
fun place to work but can be very stressful with all the calls you take. Their is very little room for advancement and it seems like a lot fo favoritism going on when it comes to advancement.
I loved my job at Ruby! The culture is something I miss every day since I left. The only thing I would warn someone about is the emotional stress that's caused due to the nature of the work. As a virtual receptionist, anyone could be on the other end of the line. The hardest part about this job is wanting to help someone sooo much and not knowing the end result. At least for me, this was the hardest part along with some of the medical malpractice cases you would hear about. Ruby truly does a remarkable job of doing their best to make sure each receptionist is emotionally cared for.
Pros
Great work culture, and benefits.
Cons
Strict time schedule.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ruby Receptionists. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.9Personal Development
4.3Career Opportunities
3.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight