Rudy's Barbershop Employee Reviews

Crumbling frlm the top
Barber (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 16, 2019
Never did I think that Rudy's would turn into what it is today. The entire office has vacated, leaving a small staff to hold it together from the top. Nothing broken is ever fixed, even when they are aware that it has been broken- for years. This includes both shop equipment and operational procedures. A few years ago, they tied the noose. Each quarter that passes, they pull the rope tighter. I don't know anyone who is happy to come to work anymore. We go through the motions and work for the weekends. Artists. Trudging through a muck make of sub par hair products and poor decision making. Tired little product sales vehicles making just enough to share an apartment. Don't even get me started on the lack of benefits either. I daydream about once was.
Pros
Its a good place to build clientele
Cons
Benefits, lack of empathy, Instability
Slave work!
Barber (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 18, 2018
They start you off at minimum wage plus 2-3% commission. No one can live off of that nowadays especially in Los Angeles. They run it like a Supercuts. Burn and turn. Quantity over Quality. Watch out for discrimination and retaliation. They don’t care about employees well being. It’s just an “At Will Job”!
Pros
You meet some pretty cool people.
Cons
Lack of pay and good health benefits
Racist environment
Assist salon leader (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 28, 2018
Had so man threats while working at this location I would never recommend this place for work nor business. Hair cuts are mediocre and staff is under influence of drugs many times.
Pros
Cons
Racist issues
If I could give this toxic wannabe hipster joint zero I would.
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 27, 2018
Unpleasant toxic workplace culture. It was like a bad high school mean girls flashback—-unevolved people with no self awareness or empathy just trying to fit in and be legends in their own limited minds.
Pros
Wear what you want
Cons
Toxic culture
Fun atmosphere
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 15, 2018
Management varies but company values are 5 star. The people I worked (Stylists) with were amazing. Always learning and supporting eachother. Furthered education was an amazing perk. Loved that they donated to charity
Cons
Not flexible work hours
:0) all good
Hairstylist / Colorist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 8, 2018
all good..., probably the easiest job interview that I've had in a very long time , friendly, fun, honest, exciting, etc. Just go for it..............
Awful
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 28, 2018
The management was horrific. Olive made an joke about r a p e at a shop meeting, talked badly about stylists behind their backs to who ever would listen and disclosed personal medical issues that were given in confidence to anyone that would listen. When I started there it was like working with Mean Girls. They wouldn’t talk to you, it was a clique and if they didn’t like you no one talked to you.
Pros
Short shifts.
Flexible, great co-workers and management
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 21, 2018
I started when the company was still small. The pay was good, better than most barbershop style places, and the flexibility was amazing we could take time off whenever we wanted. They encouraged us to have a life outside of Rudy's, and we could dress however we wanted. However, as time went on, like most places, it became more and more corporate. Company started to cut back on everything. The employees seemed much less happy, as our freedoms were taken away. They over scheduled us, so we made less money, made us listen to corporate soundtracks, made it harder to take time off etc. It's a great place if you need a built in clientele and are starting out, but in exchange for that you make less money.
Pros
Clientele. guaranteed min wage paycheck, management
Cons
less pay, benefits too expensive for anyone to afford, upper management
As welcoming as a soroity
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAMarch 9, 2018
The company itself strives to be young, hip and relevant. It succeeds in being condescending. It was a wonderful place to work as long as you fit in. I, unfortunately, did not.
Great place with good vibes
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 15, 2018
It is a commission based role when you are a stylist, but with stylists starting out, its a great place because of how many walk-ins there are. You could build your clientele there very quickly if you give great customer service and decent haircuts!
Not what I signed up for...
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 15, 2017
I have been working at Rudy's Barbershop 30 hrs a week.
Pros
You can be yourself everyday and no one will comment. The clients are diverse in incomes, age ranges, genders and identities. The music is good and you don't have to listen to pop radio hits all day.

Cons
The pay - it used to be at least 40% commission, now it's hourly! Not worth it!
Incapable of supporting oneself with this job
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, LADecember 7, 2017
I made less than my rent working at this job. Stylists were disrespectful of and inconsiderate towards me as a receptionist. The company clearly made money while its employees were struggling.
Productive. Fun. Reliable
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 12, 2017
This is a commission based work place. You are responsible for your own clientele the company take 50% of what you make for the space you use and the products. It was fair in that sense. Your earning potential was endless and you had the opportunity to move up in the company. The staff got along and there was little to no drama at all.
Pros
Sick pay. Responsible co-workings. Earning potential
Cons
Tiring on the body.
I loved this job!
Stylist/Sales rep (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CA 90405December 14, 2016
This has to be one of my favorite jobs. I loved coming into work knowing I'd be surrounded by family away from home. The day to day included cutting and styling actors, models and musician's in Santa Monica CA.

I learned lots of cool cuts and techniques. I learned about acting and the entertainment industry through clients, and tons of interesting things from my co-workers.

Management was amazing. Everything always seemed to run smoothly, and I know they really cared about us.

I feel truly blessed to have worked with the team I was among. I have life long friends from Rudy's.

The hardest part was leaving. I moved cities.

The most enjoyable part was all the laughter. The clients were happy successful people, and the salon was such a cool place. The continued education was also a fun experience, and top notch.
Upbeat, fast paced atmosphere
STYLIST (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 3, 2016
I have worked for Rudy's Barbershop for several years and I have really I have enjoyed my time there. Every day is different and it is a fun environment to walk into. During my time there I built and maintaining personalized relationships with clients through providing thoughtful customer service.
Productive, fast paced work environment
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJuly 9, 2015
Rudy's Barbershop is a fun and edgy salon that offers services at a very reasonable cost to the clients. It is a large space with many different personalities that add culture to the salon. The background music is always up to date and part of the salon "vibe".
The salon (at the time I worked there) was managed very well. Each stylist was given a schedule that would rarely change unless upon request. The routine that was expected of each stylist was in the best interest of the stylist as well as all of the staff, and the clients.
Working at Rudy's Barbershop was easy (because of organized management), creative, productive, and enjoyable.
Pros
Clients love Rudy's Barbershop
Cons
N/a
Great place to work temporarily, not much room to move up though
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJanuary 10, 2015
I got hired here as a Front Desk Recep and right off the bat everyone was very welcoming and helpful. I spent a few weeks being trained and picked it up pretty easily. My coworkers are all pretty awesome and it makes the shift go by quickly! It's a very laid back environment and they don't chomp your head off if you do one little thing wrong. It's perfect if you're just looking for a job to make a little money, but career-wise, there's not really anywhere to go unless you want to work in the office at HQ, which I personally would not want.
Pros
Friendly environment, Easy work, Nice Coworkers
Cons
No vacation time
Fun workplace that keeps you on your toes and is always evolving
Director of Education (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 7, 2013
Art and music driven culture with talented employees lends to create a diverse work environment. Fast growing company offers room for advancement and relocation.
Rudy rocks
Hairstylist / Barber (Current Employee) –  Tigard, ORMarch 3, 2013
Alot! Rudy is the best barber I"ve ever worked with period....
Pros
quality work
Cons
not enough walk ins
A fast learning place
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAOctober 23, 2012
I am a hairstylist went to school to do women hair and to create different style for each customer.
At rudy's I had te best experience but I dream for more
About the place its