rue21 Employee Reviews

Found 1,952 reviews matching the search See all 1,958 reviews
Fun and creative work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Poplar Bluff, MONovember 16, 2018
Rue 21 was a fun place to work. Every day started with a review of the goals for your shift. They were always open to showing your personality through dressing how you want and following the current trends. Customer service was always a high priority,helping them find what they need or help them create an outfit for an occasion that made them feel good. I loved being able to express myself through my outfits and wear what made me comfortable.
Pros
Fun environment
Fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GANovember 16, 2018
A typical day at rue21 can be a bit fast-paced. There is always something to do! The workplace culture is well diverse and the most enjoyable part of the job is being able to see and know about the new products to tell to everyone else.
Fun environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCNovember 15, 2018
Easy work and fun environment to make productivity easier. Regular breaks. Flexible hours. Good company to work for. Easy uniform. Good quality clothes.
Pros
Regular breaks. Discounts.
Cons
Hard to advance.
Relaxed
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Somerset, KYNovember 15, 2018
A retail store that doesn't require crazy conditions or expectations. Non stressful in the best way even when the store is busy everyone is all hands in with assisting customers.
Very immature and cruel
Sales Associate promoted to Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Osage Beach, MONovember 15, 2018
For the longest time the working conditions inside the store were unbearable. The company told us countless times they were to fix the air conditioning but never got to it until a month later of the hottest summer weather. It was told to close if the store was too hot and uncomfortable for customers, and once that happened the store was close through half the week.
Cons
Short breaks, bad environment
Easy going job
Rue 21, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXNovember 13, 2018
This job was good and I only stayed for so long because of its flexible hours. I was able to juggle school and work pretty easily with their schedules.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Holiday is the worst, especially black friday
Unorganized and sad
Part Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Burleson, TXNovember 12, 2018
I worked her for 4-5 months as a part time assistant manager and I was still in training no one taught be really anything but to open and close and how to use my security code. there is no working like a team everyone is so cut throat and mean. they are more concerned if someone is fake rather than worried about sales. we were supposed to sale a certain amount of fragrances but seeing how I was the only one coach the sales associates we barely sold our goal. No one is goal oriented or passionate about the job oh and the FULL time assistant manager takes advantage of her title and talks to people crazy and fires people because she's frustrated with her job as far as making a schedule, also steals time and smokes weed before and during her shift.. I could go on and on not bitter but store0561 is trash service period.
Pros
Meeting and shopping with customers
Cons
short breaks, no training, no passion
Great Place
Store Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDNovember 10, 2018
Rue is always keeping up on trend and I love how affordable it is! It would be an amazing opportunity to be able to work well with energetic people who have a taste for fashion.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Short breaks
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INNovember 10, 2018
Even on the bad days it was still an awesome job and learning experience to have. The people were great and the store was always clean. It is a very put together establishment.
It is a good first job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHNovember 9, 2018
Its retail and a good first job for 16 year old kids. Not much opportunity otherwise. It will teach kids responsibility and respect while the make a few extra bucks.
Not a great Company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNNovember 8, 2018
Everything about this job was as I expected. Except for the upper level management. They prioritize the wrong things and don’t listen to store improvement suggestions from the employees.
Very chill workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grandview, MONovember 6, 2018
A typical day at rue21 means you are helping and greeting your customers with the friendliest of smiles. You are ensuring their happiness and maintaining a good personality and relationship with the customers.
Horrible place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tannersville, PANovember 4, 2018
Very poor management at rue21 in tannersville, does not treat employees fairly, poor place to work.. The store manager is not considerate.. wouldn’t recommend
Pros
job culture
Cons
management, and hours
No balance
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 3, 2018
They don't pay nearly what they should compared to the work load. Long hours unreasonable expectations from corporate. My team is amazing though we are like family.
Pros
Goid team
Cons
Corporate is horrible
Very stressful. No support from other management
District manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaNovember 2, 2018
Current District manager in Virginia . Very stressful. Lack of support. I should never have left my other job for this. Never a day off. Dislike a lot of managers.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Overworked
Good for skill building. Not a place to stay.
Assistant Manager & ETC Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILOctober 31, 2018
While it is a nice place to get a start in retail there really isn’t much room to advance past assistant manager. (Sometimes store manager if a position frees up). The turnover rates are ridiculously high and there is never any sort of support from corporate to their employees. Expectations are high while pay is low and compensation and benefits seem to decrease each year with constant upper level positions switching hands. Not a stable or positive work environment, which seems to be a trait that spans across various locations.
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Not enough pay for the work to be done.
Poor
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cookeville, TNOctober 31, 2018
I was terminated because someone who did not like me called corporate and said I should be fired. I was never asked or told why. Just terminated. I also worked 4 hours a week. So not a huge loss 9
Fast paced, always something to do
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 30, 2018
Overall experience was well received, management shapes you into a better leader with creative action. Helps adjust goal setting and makes things challenging to a pace that reflects work ethic.
Great environment for a first job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 29, 2018
While I loved working for Rue21, it was my first job and I was only hired for seasonal help, I was contacted by the manager after I was let go and was offered a full time position but I had already received my new job at Reno Reds.
Pros
Great management and reasonable breaks
Cons
Pay was low
Rue21
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAOctober 29, 2018
This job will drain you. It includes a whole bunch of folding and fixing many clothes. And the sales for fragrence are very important. Overall the job can be fun if you make it fun but the pay is not the best.
Pros
discount 40%
Cons
low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at rue21. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP40%
In the Top 40% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at rue21.

Powered by Comparably