rue21 Employee Reviews

Found 2,009 reviews matching the search See all 2,015 reviews
No room for growth
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Harrisville, UTOctober 22, 2018
The job was so much fun and I really enjoyed it. The people are awesome and it was a perfect first job. Although Rue21 normally accommodates to schedules and has many good things going for the company, there's no way to go up from there. The pay isn't great -- minimum wage -- and doesn't change at all unless you're a manager -- $10-12 an hour. The job is awesome but if you're looking for a well paying job, rue21 isn't for you.
Pros
Amazing work environment, incentives, flexible scheduling, management, hours
Cons
Not enough pay/raises, room to grow/advance
The job is good for high schoolers.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Niles, OHNovember 26, 2018
Rue21 seems is overall a great company, but the company can be very stingy with their money. They push their associates to sell fragrance for more hours at work. Some days sales associates can't sell fragrance because it is a slow day or their busy doing the day to day tasks. The company also promises for raises every year that you are with the company and yet they never give them. Rue21 is a good job for high schoolers but if you are looking for something more steady and a good pay look somewhere else.
Good for skill building. Not a place to stay.
Assistant Manager & ETC Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILOctober 31, 2018
While it is a nice place to get a start in retail there really isn’t much room to advance past assistant manager. (Sometimes store manager if a position frees up). The turnover rates are ridiculously high and there is never any sort of support from corporate to their employees. Expectations are high while pay is low and compensation and benefits seem to decrease each year with constant upper level positions switching hands. Not a stable or positive work environment, which seems to be a trait that spans across various locations.
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Not enough pay for the work to be done.
Great first job to get started.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Riverdale, UTNovember 21, 2018
rue21 is a fun place to work for a first job. The people are kind and helpful, but the company does not offer benefits for associates. They do not offer full time associate positions. I learned many skills from working on the sales floor, such as numeracy, customer service and how to use company electronics. The most difficult part of the job is dealing with inside favoritism, but aside from that, working for rue21 was a great learning experience.
Pros
Breaks, Friendly employees
Cons
No Healthcare benefits, low hours for associates
Mismanaged and disorganized
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJanuary 13, 2019
I have been there a year and a half, I have never received a raise and was told I never would. They offered a management position to an associate who has been there less than half the time I was there, and never offered me one.
Different
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 25, 2018
It wasn't that bad. The management was rough and they never praised their employees for what they did good but instead, always ridiculed us. The advancement sucked. I had to make it known that I was interested in moving up before they even thought about me to begin with and when stuff happens that is not in your control, they prohibit you from ever getting promoted to a higher position. The employees never liked to listen to you when you told them what needed to be done even though you were their manager.
Pros
work enviornment
Cons
Employees, management, hours
Way too stressful
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Peoria, ILSeptember 26, 2018
I hated the way things were run there and the managers attitude about everything. When you work there your hours (and salary) is based off perfume sales and i got told multiple times how annoying it was so be pressure about buying perfume. I loved working with certain people but the one manager would yell at everyone for everything which i hated.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Manager, the way hours were chosen, salary
inventory
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Santa Maria, CAJanuary 3, 2019
needs to be more organized and should be able to help the employees and not having to guess whats in each box. put girls in girls plus in plus and guys in guys.
Pros
great people and management team
Cons
benefits and work ethics
Very fun
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Robinsonville, MSNovember 29, 2018
The Company makes you participate in their social media which makes it really fun. You get to dress up and get an extra discount off for employment appreciation.
Pros
Fun Work environment
Cons
Pay raises wasn't much
MY experience
PT Manager (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIAugust 15, 2018
What kept me at this job for 4 years are the great people that I have met along the way. It was a little sad to leave but at the same time, the pay was not taking care of my bills, especially not enough to save and I was a manager. If your young, in college and your parents are still taking care of most of your every bills or in high school this would be the perfect job for you
Pros
discounts
Cons
No benefits, no real breaks, low wages, hours were not guaranteed
Management team was extremely lazy. always had to pick up after someone
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Zanesville, OHMay 6, 2018
Rue21 is an absolutely disgusting place to work. I worked there for 3 years and was only given a raise once, and that’s becuase they moved me up to a manger position when I turned 18. Also, management team was very lazy and didn’t care about there jobs, which made it tougher on the people that were making less than them. They do not properly train management and throw you into a higher level way to soon. Even had an associate close as a manger a few times and he never got paid for it. Zanesville Rue21 staff are intolerable.
Pros
40% discount
Cons
Pay, poor management
Great staff and great opportunities to move up in position.
Full Time Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 15, 2018
Rue 21 was a fun place to start off as my first job. I was always learning more about the business side of things then just customer servicing. For the three years that I’ve been here I can say I never had a bad moment at rue and they always worked with me in advancing further.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
30 minutes breaks and having to sell fragrances without compensation
Great management and staff
RETAIL SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Bryan, TXJuly 16, 2018
Management and staff are amazing but the pay is exactly minimum wage.
Discount on merchandise is great and the atmosphere in the store is amazing!
Rue21 needs to raise they're hourly pay because they can't keep regular sales associates long term.
Pros
40% off full priced items
Cons
you can't live off minimum wage
Rue is a mess
Full Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNJanuary 11, 2019
High volume inventory + severely limited hours + awful pay. Low coverage due to lack of payroll hours, unless you're a manager you get <15 on average.
Pros
40% employee discount
Cons
Fast paced without proper compensation
Very stressful. No support from other management
District manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaNovember 2, 2018
Current District manager in Virginia . Very stressful. Lack of support. I should never have left my other job for this. Never a day off. Dislike a lot of managers.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Overworked
Easy but stressful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, KYJune 12, 2018
Working at rue21 was definitely an experience, I worked Black Friday and saw behind the scenes of holiday shopping. Everyone working there got along pretty well, we were all pretty much either in college or high school and we are all still friends. The hardest part was for sure when it was busy. It was nonstop when there were a lot of people in the store. I'd say the most enjoyable part was when the store looked perfect and we accomplished all our goals for the day.
Pros
decent breaks, can wear whatever we wanted
Cons
no benefits, normally working overtime
Productive environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORSeptember 14, 2018
Flexible hours
Always working around your schedule.
Good management with friendly team
Always good with lunch and breaks.
Very fast paced but fun.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not great benefits
Busy place, cleaning is mandatory and is taken very seriously along with all of the job positions. Especially helping the customers needs.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Parma, OHMay 29, 2018
•manager will talk to you about our weekly goal and our day goal of how much money we have to raise along with telling you about how many fragrances you have to sell
•you have an assigned position to that day and are expected to keep your section of the store clean & organized.
•rue helped me build my social & leadership skills while not being afraid to take charge
No worth it
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Baraboo, WIDecember 1, 2018
poor wages for the amount of work they expect you to do. they don't offer many benefits for employees, aside from health care when youre a full time ASM.
Cons
poor wage
a very fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 30, 2018
when I worked I loved to help customers because I loved the style rue 21 had also I am 17 so who wouldn't want to work there I learned how to ring costumers up and also learned how to bond with people and be respectful my management was a cashier and customer assistant the work place culture was fun everybody loved working there a lot more females hardest part was probably people trying to steal and having to see it the most enjoyable was just getting to know everybody work hard but still have fun at the end
Pros
long lunch breaks big mall
Cons
people stealing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at rue21. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight