rue21 Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,901 reviews matching the search See all 1,907 reviews
productive work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Audubon, NJSeptember 21, 2018
A typical dat at Rue 21 would be fun but also productive. I've learned patience and time management wile working at Rue 21. The hardest par about this job is something we called "shipment" it was very time consuming and hectic.
Fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCSeptember 19, 2018
A typical day at rue? there wasn't one. Everyday was something different. The basics were the same but the customers that came in and what happened each day was always something new. Always kept me on my feet. Management was great for the most part. The workplace culture was ok. Some followed what they were supposed to and others did as they wanted.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
management
Company is DRAMA
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ashland, KYSeptember 18, 2018
From the day of my interview the store manager and district manager was talking poorly of the employees and other management. I would’ve stayed working if something would’ve been done when I reported to corporate that my manager lied and forced another manager to quit then forged my signature but they did nothing.
Pros
Discount is good, nice customers
Cons
No lunch breaks, working 3+ hours after closing, pooor management
fast paced and task oriented
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol, TNSeptember 18, 2018
Going to work every day is like going to work with family. Fast fashion gives the opportunity to always be on trend and to try something new every day.
Pros
great discounts
"Fun" but unreliable workplace
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  ColoradoSeptember 17, 2018
Worked at Rue for a little under a year; had to quit after the holidays, along with several coworkers, because they stopped giving us hours. (I don't mean they gave us very few hours; I mean we literally didn't get any hours at all between January 1 and mid-March. This is the main reason I didn't rate the job higher, along with the fact that management didn't warn us/explain to us why we had suddenly found ourselves "unemployed.")

Rue21 is surprisingly affected by the holiday rushes and even if they're still getting a good amount of customers after New Year's, you (the employee) won't be getting many hours at all. The employees who sell the most fragrances get the most hours, but be aware that you'll be expected to up-sell those perfumes like a car salesman and most people who come in don't want to buy a fragrance at all.

Rue is a relatively laid-back job and the managers/coworkers all got along very well, but it is NOT a good job option for someone who needs to count on a certain amount of hours every week.
Pros
Competitive employee discount, laid back management, comfortable atmosphere, good work-life balance
Cons
Sparse hours, poor training, over-reliance on "upselling" perfumes
It Was Alright
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lynchburg, VASeptember 17, 2018
Working at Rue wasn't bad...but it wasn't good either. I didn't work there for long, however, the time I did work there wasn't enjoyable. I was a part time employee, but in my opinion didn't get paid enough for the work I did. I would've liked more hours, but the system they have there isn't good, the longer you work there and they see your ethic the more hours you get, you cannot request more hours. My opinion on pay might've been different had I gotten more hours, as I only worked 5-6 hours once or twice a week. My position there was a sales associate and cashier and it was relaxed at first but I went above and beyond in my job, clearing out about 10 boxes of shipment in a few hours. I personally thought people who didn't work as hard as me got more hours and got better pay. I wouldn't recommend working there, but I wouldn't in-advise working there either.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Short Breaks, Bad Scheduling
ok place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  East Point, GASeptember 17, 2018
was fun at times but can be very stressful if your a manager, could pay better , and offer more to employees. nhsdbha ssd db assdh ajs db sasd d hjj hd qjhdd qjd \a
Pros
discounts, overtime
Cons
not enough pay roll, not enough pay, better training, corprate needs more feed back from store mrg on product
The experience was bittersweet for a first Job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  1187 South Sanderson AveSeptember 16, 2018
The hours were horrible, there were multiple times when me and many other workers were asked to be called off from our shift for no apparent reason. It was rare to even get a full week of hours scheduled. The managers didn’t really have leadership skills, just overall weren’t that great and didn’t really have a training process for new workers. I remember my first day on the job I was hired in time for Black Friday and was literally just thrown in with no explanation of current store deals I should advertise etc.
Pros
Discounts, being able to meet new people daily
Cons
Horrible management, Store didn’t really work as a team, everyone was kind of just all over the place
Your normal part time job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Marion, NCSeptember 15, 2018
Even though I worked there for only a couple months I got by with the pay. It was minimum wage and probably got 15 (maybe 20) hours a week. Management was a bit odd. Constantly switching sales promos every other day. Job duties were average...cleaning, customer service, and stocking items. Closing was easy and never got out late so that was a bonus at the time. Great for teens in high school.
Pros
managers would buy lunch or snacks
Cons
rarely had breaks
Productive environment
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Medford, ORSeptember 14, 2018
Flexible hours
Always working around your schedule.
Good management with friendly team
Always good with lunch and breaks.
Very fast paced but fun.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not great benefits
Fun and rewarding!
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 11, 2018
Rue21 was a fun and amazing work place. The hours were flexible and the management was great. You create a close knit friendship with your coworkers that will last a lifetime. Sometimes the hardest part of the job was having slow days with nothing to do. Making friendships was the most enjoyable part of the job. You learn how to make sales and you learn manager skills that will help you get promoted.
Pros
flexible hours and inviting work space
Cons
none!
Fun
Rue 21, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grandville, MISeptember 8, 2018
It was my first job so I think realistically it was very fun and helped me ease my way into the world of jobs and careers. All of my managers were super nice and the store was actually clean.
Job experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLSeptember 6, 2018
A lot of merchandise to have to clean up and the promotional monthly fragrances tend to make your nose blind to all other scents. Asides from that, it was a great beginner job.
very comfortable environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, OKSeptember 6, 2018
the people were also great here, this wasn’t my first job and they also were very helpful and patient with me also. they shaped me with being the good sales associate i am today.
Pros
discount on merchandise
Cons
little pay, and short breaks.
Fast paced, organization
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXSeptember 5, 2018
Opening and/or closing of store responsibilities
Counting draw before opening and after closing
Organized store floor and processed merchandise
Manned the register as well as helped with customer service
Pros
Fun atmosphere, discounts
Cons
Short hours
N/a
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 5, 2018
I think rue21 is actually a good store, but my lack of hours was devastating I think I should have received more hours but everything other then that it was okay. Nice working area and understanding manager.
Favorite Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pleasant Prairie, WISeptember 5, 2018
I worked here over the Black Friday / Christmas season and it was such an amazing job. I was trained so well that I was on my own the second day, my managers were all super friendly and made me feel welcome.
Was a great location to work at!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Circleville, OHSeptember 3, 2018
Enjoyed the discounts received and the products and merchandise sold at Rue21, the people I worked with were friendly and outgoing! There were always sales and discounts for customers as well including perfume and merchandise sampling.
Loved it!
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 30, 2018
I loved working there! I got trained well, and the people there were awesome! I got the opportunity to be promoted to stock associate which I gladly accepted. Very flexible and understanding! I honestly would still be working there if my store location didn't close and the only location up for transfer was too far. I definitely recommended this company as your first job!
Productive and fun workplace.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New MexicoAugust 27, 2018
Great environment, not to stressful. You're learning new things each day you work. Employers are easy to get along with. Best part for me was my employee discount.
Pros
Employee discount, co-workers
Cons
Limited hours, short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at rue21. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight