rue21

United States179 reviews

Found 179 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,002 reviews

rue21 insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Cool starter Job

Nice place to start or establish work experience. From associate to management. Salary store manager, not worth pay. You work a lot of hours. They don’t pay good. High turn over rate. High expectations for little pay. Dress code is great. 40% off employee discounts are great.

Pros

Employee discount People

Cons

Pay Work life balance

Face paced, bad management.

Standards were never upheld for all stores. There was always a lot of turnover. I did enjoy merchandising, but there was very little work life balance.

very inclusive brand

i loved rue21 for the job culture. it always felt like i had a little work family but when it comes to the job itself, it’s always stressful and you definitely don’t get paid enough

Terrible upper management

I worked here for 3 yrs, took over a store with a super high shrink and got in down every single inventory. I was making goal and had a full staff of seasoned associates at a time when everybody else was short staffed. They fired me without warning for not meeting their 5% fragrance goal. So basically it doesn’t even matter if you are making money for them, if you don’t meet that all important fragrance goal you’re out. I had about 6 different district managers in the 3 yrs so I was constantly trying to keep up with all their different expectations. I loved my job but upper management is terrible, there is bad communication and you won’t ever feel appreciated.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Upper management

Avoid...Simply the worst job ever

Company recently came out of bankruptcy and it shows. You are forced to sell, sell, sell, sell, sell, and sell. They care about nothing but money. The higher up management beyond unreasonable. STAY AWAY. PLEASE LISTEN TO ME...IT'S THAT BAD....

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

Horrible company

You work with a bunch of kids because they pay so low only the kids will take the job you can call off every day if you want to and if you short staff you won’t get no help from the other managers

Great long term growth

You have the opportunity to show your skills and continue to advance throughout the company. I enjoy working here because of the support and encouragement I get on a weekly basis.

Alright Company

High turnover rate, constantly feel like you’re going to lose your job. Terrible music playlist that doesn’t relate to the customers at all. Focuses too much on fragrance, people are coming to buy clothes not fragrance, most people don’t even know Rue21 sells perfumes and colognes. Unreasonable sales goals and expectations.

Pros

Lenient dress code

Cons

No commission on fragrance that we’re forced to sell. Management bonus for sales plan isn’t enough

Very unprofessional company. -10/10 would not recommend. Toxic environment and the company does not care about its employees.

Worst place I ever worked at. Very toxic and unprofessional. They have very Poor upper management from district management and up. They do not care about their employees and even the whole interview/hiring process takes about two months because they don’t get back to you unless you call them.

Pros

Cons

Literally everything about the company

Very fast paced

The job is really nice as long as you can keep a full staff. Pay for the industry isn’t that great it is on the lower end of pay scales. If you love being constantly productive this is for you. You have to be someone who can seek out tasks everyday to be successful. Keeping a store neat and clean is a challenge but that is why you must be disciplined enough to limit talking breaks with coworkers and just keep the motivation going from open to close. Overall the company does value its employees and they will work with you on career goals but the do expect you to be worth it. So if you don’t show up everyday to get the job done then advancement won’t happen for you. I do miss this job from time to time but getting every weekend off at my current job keeps me from going back.

Pros

Good health care benefits!

Cons

Call offs, no set schedule, low pay.

Great support, good discounts

Great company to work for, tons of support. Their mission is good and they live by it. They give great training and it's on going for as long as you are there. ITS A GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR

Productive place to work, great environment, great team!

I truly enjoy working here, if you have a clear vision of what you want with this company and your work ethics align you can go very far in your career here. I think for management you get stable hours which is great! As for Sales associate may be not be a place to earn a lot of hours, however it’s a perfect place if you are a full time student or supplementing a 2nd job! There is plenty of opportunities to advance considering there are so many Rue21’s through out the state and country!

Pros

Work life balance, flexible hours, fast paced, bonus incentives, monthly perks

Cons

Annual raises can be a little more flexible with tenured management or high performance mgmt.

Work environment

Horrible place to work ! Upper management does not care about the store level manahement. There is no support from corporate. It is not a fun plave to work

Upper management is horrible

Pre Covid it was amazing! Once the company came back and realigned the districts it was horrible. The district managers they kept were under qualified and unorganized. Claim to be a “people first” company but let go of store managers that created good morale and made money in their stores for not making fragrance goals. Do not work for this company. They do not care about you at all.

Pros

Discount

Cons

Pay, horrible morale

Horrible place to work

Mangers eat their young ! If they have a problem with you, they will find reasons to get rid of you . No written warnings, no time to fix things just fired . Worse company I’ve ever worked for.

Pros

Pto, some good employees

Cons

Going up the ladder it’s bad all the way to hr

They really don’t care about employees in store.

Worked for Rue21 for almost 10 years and was treated with no respect and no concern for anyone . Too much work with no payroll. They have favorites and will do everything for them. Poor communication.

Pros

Fun with customers

Cons

Upper management expects to much for associates

If you like to stay busy....

I have never, ever, ever... ever... came to work and thought "eh, we're all caught up, we can just relax and have a day of making money ony. " Never.There's always work, there's always customers (which is good). if you like staying busy like I do, I promise you'll always be.

Pros

benefits, bonuss

Cons

high expectations, low payroll

Fun work environment

I always enjoyed my shifts when I worked at this company. They always made sure it was fun and up beat. The shifts wasn’t ever bad either. The management is pushy when they don’t reach goals. Overall, it’s a good company

Pros

Fun

Cons

No advancement, upper management not caring enough

Room for growth but only so far.

You can grow from associate to store manager and work your way up to managing a bigger store. It was a great experience in retail, but left a sour taste in my mouth when they filed for bankruptcy and closed a lot of their stores. They didn't fight to keep any of the top talent from the closing stores.

Pros

There's always new product and new markdowns. Dress code encourages fashion.

Cons

Can't move up past Store Manager. No work/life balance for managers.

Gained good work experience

Expectations can be unrealistic. Not crazy about the changes in upper management, really not as “people” focused at the company once felt. Lots of turnover. Many things felt unethical.

Pros

Generous pto, flexible scheduling

Always passing over internal growth to promote from outside the company

a typical day at work involves not being able to complete the task doing so much tasking that doesn't include helping the customer. The balance of tasking and being able to provide customer service is very lopsided. The hardest part of the job is accepting no work/life balance and giving your all only to watch the company pass over your experience to hire from outside the company over promoting from within. Very unrewarding job!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at rue21. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.8
InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
3.6Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare rue21 with

Career recommendations for Store Manager

Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more
  • rue21