rue21 Employee Reviews

Found 2,157 reviews matching the search See all 2,164 reviews
Great first job but very lazy management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 16, 2019
There’s lots of fun and unique people that work here. The work is easy, gets very boring at times though. Management sucks. Store manager sits on the ground playing on her phone a lot even during store hours, she never wants to clean after the store is closed, and she always gets on you for the slightest things. She’s always talking to other managers and stands around a lot at work, never recovers, and complains about work not being done even though she never does anything herself. Very very pushy with fragrances. Store manager makes you go around and hand out strips and makes u give every customer a fragrance strip even when they refuse one. You don’t even get commission off fragrances but you’re forced to sell them or you get yelled at and frowned upon.
Pros
Flexible schedule. 30 min breaks.
Cons
Terrible management. Very pushy with fragrances.
good company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dover, DEJune 16, 2019
company is good and style is affordable. chances to grow are available and environment is fun. there is alot to do in retail and can be fast work on certain days.
Fun and productive.
Store Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hoover, ALJune 15, 2019
My overall experience with Rue21 was good. Kind coworkers, flexible schedule, and so on. I only chose to leave in order to pursue other avenues in retail.
Pros
Increased employee discount during certain promotions.
Good first job.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXJune 14, 2019
Overall working at rue21 was fairly easy. The store I worked at was very clean and they wanted to stay that way so you really had to be on top of maintaining the sales floor which wasn't hard. Holidays were rough at times but not too much to handle. Relaxed. easy going environment and good first job.
Cons
Pay
great for beginner experience
Store Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Zachary, LAJune 13, 2019
I was fairly excited to stat working at rue and it was a simple, easy retail job with basic work. The other associates i worked were nice and easy to work with as well, for the most part. But over the time the overall store team, management, leadership, and organization was not great. It was quite all over the place and even heavy, unnecessary drama.
working at rue21 sucked.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJune 11, 2019
i got a job at Rue21 thinking it was going to be fun because it was my first retail job. turns out everyone who worked there was stuck up and rude. no one took their job seriously. everyone talked behind everyone’s back. the manager was unorganized.
Pros
discount
Cons
environment and people and hours
Typical Mall Job
Stock and sales associate (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJune 11, 2019
Co-workers were sweet, but my hours never got fixed in the summer from school so I wasn't getting shifts I could have. Hours are based off fragrance sales. Lost hours and was nearly impossible to make them back when we were training seasonal. Little to no hours and the pay isn't worth it. Wasn't Awful, but i'd prefer to not work a mall job again after.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Lack of hours. You get hours based on fragrance sales, or if people are being trained you lose hours instantly
It's a good place to work
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJune 11, 2019
Its a good place to work would recommend if you wanted a side job or anything other like that. I would recommend to friends and or family looking for work in retail.
Energetic Workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAJune 11, 2019
I’ve been with the Rue21 family for over a year & I love it more and more each day I work. The energy is always through the roof. We work hard to meet our goals, and we have fun while doing so.
great first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alpine, CAJune 10, 2019
not to many hours perfect for my high school schedule, but just enough pay to go to the mall. hard to get shifts covered the company didn't really help to much with that struggle. All in all not to bad.
workplace culture
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJune 10, 2019
just the managers there when i was there just had the culture of i’m more superior than you and the place was just always short staffed and the hours were short
Cons
short breaks
Fun workplace
Rue 21, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJune 7, 2019
Good job, caring, respectful, understandable, work with the hours you can work, don’t over work you, work only 40 hours, work as a team, get along very good
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short break
It Was Decent
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 5, 2019
Rue21 Was. Very Fun At Firs Working There but Over Time Things Started To Die Down The Discounts Were Alright The Management Was Very Rude And Not Really Informative On Certain Issues They Definitely Need More Communication Structure But Overall First Time Job Experience Wasn’t All That Great
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Very rude management
Good start off
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXJune 4, 2019
It's a great place to start off your job line they are flexible verry fast paced from Wednesday to Sunday but Sales Associate dont get raises period you cant go near 40 hours you have to sale Perfumes or Cologne.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Pay, Hours
It’s a fun environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Smyrna, TNJune 4, 2019
Although it’s fun and right up my ally, I wish i got my hours. Atleast 4 days a week is what i’m looking for and thats not really given, and i need a good pay because it’s minimum wage.
Pros
Fun and flexible
Cons
Little hours, minimum wage
It is an okay job.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sumter, SCJune 4, 2019
I did not like my experience at rue21. The management can be slack at times ( by this I mean they choose when and when not to enforce company rules. They are not consistent with enforcing rules). Sometimes I do not feel a welcoming environment on my job. Another issue that I had with this company is that I feel as though the pay was unreasonably low for this job. We only got paid $7.25. I feel as though we should have atleast been getting paid 8.50-9 as sales associates.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
unpleasant work environment, low pay
Management is the worst its like highschool!!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXJune 2, 2019
The manager acts like a high schooler and is very immature and constantly talks about other employees, if she doesnt like you shell bully you until you quit and when you put in your 2 weeks she will say things to you to make you want to leave on the spot and dislike your coworkers. Basically pushing you to make the wrong decision so she can play victim. I contacted the district manager and corporate about the situation its happened to multiple employees and we are all trying to fix the situation. Central texas market place store 411 STAY AWAY!!!! Also they never fire people even if they dont deserve to be there. They have to pay corporate and get approval but they dont want to do that.
Pros
None. The mng was always un fair if she didnt like you
Cons
No hours, just because she has personal opinions of other employees, not treated the same at work
Awful
Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 1, 2019
Too much drama and passive aggressiveness. Scheduling is completely unfair and not rotated, hands down there is a lot of favoritism going on. Corporate management has so much gray area, and nothing is clearly defined yet are quick to condemn you. No such thing as work life, at all.
Pros
Cons
Favoritism, Scheduling unfair
Fun and Professional
Rue 21, Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAMay 31, 2019
At Rue21 every coworker become your friend and it's not too much pressure on you because everyone in the store have their own task and do it own their own time as long as it get done.
Favoritism At Its Best
Sales Associate (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Eureka, CAMay 31, 2019
You will suspect favoritism in the workplace from the start. You will be pressured to do more while the favorite stands around. You will only be able to close the store every week, meaning you will not have any opening or mid shifts unless the favorite goes on vacation.

I'd suggest learning certain Spanish phrases to help explain the deals to customers who don't know English well. You will deal with alot of angry old moms and dirty thieves. You will hear a lot of ugly comments from customers who think the styles are provocative. Women will give you a very.. hard time when doing returns.

All in all, great place to work! ..
Pros
Cons
Favoritism, scheduling unfairness, drama, passive aggression, immature boss

Ask a question about working or interviewing at rue21. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight