Ruger Employee Reviews

A lot of empty talk
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mayodan, NCMay 18, 2019
Management always talks about "Servant Leadership" but doesn't back this up in any way. Engineers aren't held accountable to the manufacturing lines they are supposed to support. They only want to hire local with low education so they don't have to pay much. Long hours with low pay. Tries to say the profit sharing makes up for the low pay but it competitively doesn't.
Pros
10 hours of overtime a week
Cons
Low pay, terrible benefits.
Nothing but lies from team lead and up
Cnc operater (Current Employee) –  Newport, NHApril 25, 2019
Not recommended to work there at all management is terrible team leads get paid to lie and watch you tube pay goes by town average not national average which means you can make just as much at McDonald's as you can here ,just not recommended
Cons
Everyone is laid back and pleasantly nice to be around.
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Mayodan, NCApril 18, 2019
It a good place to work. Do your job and be respectful then you wont have any problems at ruger. Purchase guns after 6 months. Can be trained to shoot. Apply straight through the company no temp service. After 90 days benefits kick in and you'll already have a week or more vacation days to use. 10 hr days 5 days a week mandatory.
Pros
Bonus every 4 months
Cons
Breaks are too short for as long as you're on your feet. A lot of walking, daily. 50 hr schedule is rather hard at times but the money makes it somewhat easier.
all it needed to be
Influence and energize others towards Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Newport, NHApril 16, 2019
ruger was good to the people that worked hard for them. they wanted associates who would work hard and give everything they had to the job. those that could did well.
Ruger is not a good company
CNC Operator (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZ 86301April 1, 2019
They under pay their employees and want more and more work done. The management is ridiculous. They don't care about their employees only what you can do for them.
Pros
Cons
under paid, long work days, stressful environment
Find something else unless you are desperate!
External / line worker (Former Employee) –  Mayodan, NCMarch 28, 2019
A typical day at Ruger is running several steel cutting machines at a very fast pace in a loop for 10 hours with two "15 minute" breaks and a 30 minute lunch break.

The management is mostly pulled from line employees with little to no actual management training or experience.

The hardest parts of the job are the fast pace, hours of operation, and the six day, sixty hour work week.

Not much enjoyable about the job other than the benefits.
Pros
Benefits and paid weekly
Cons
Fast pace, stressfull work environment, 6 day work week, poor management
Great place to work if you love your 2nd Amendment
CNC Operator (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZMarch 18, 2019
I loved working at Ruger! It's a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary! All employees and supervisors were great to work with unfortunately health concerns arised after working 7 months there and I had to leave
Pros
Great discounts great benefits and everyone is great to work with
Cons
Long hours, odd hours and the coolant reeks and gets everywhere and on everything
great job with alot of negative bitter people
CNC Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZMarch 10, 2019
great job with benefits,hours don't work well with a normal life schedule.found most management to be 3xdivorced and bitter types.strict policies,barley can talk to anyone in the place without being offended.regardless of their strict drug policy the place has a lot of alcoholics that work there,quite a few can be found asleep in the bathroom stalls for hours at a time.over all the place is pretty depressing.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
lousy pay/negative people
Nice job
Manufacturing Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  New HampshireFebruary 18, 2019
Good employees, great management, but they don't value innovation, which is disappointing, but there was a commitment to quality and ethical practice that I found surprising given my experience with large companies.
No work life balance
Operator (Former Employee) –  Mayodan, NCFebruary 14, 2019
This is the most unorganized place I have ever seen.There is no room for advancement unless you are in the Good ole boys club.Lots of very young leaders who don't have a clue as to how to run a business.
They show partiality to people that they like not based on performance or ability.Very stressful for the operators not worth the pay.
Benefits
Cons
No work life balance air quality bad
Boring, terrible management for good pay
Assembler/Production (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZJanuary 30, 2019
Very boring place to work. Yes there are multiple positions on the line, but its the same gosh darn motions day after day for 9-10 hours a week. The discounts on stuff was great, and the pay wasnt bad at all, very good actually. But Id rather be broke and happy than be makin fat checks as a zombie. If you enjoy guns and severe repetition, then youd like this job.
Pros
Discounts, good pay
Cons
Tedious, stressful, poor management
Manufacturing Engineering Intern
Lean Manufacturing Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Newport, NHJanuary 28, 2019
Developed rugged, reliable, and easy to machine gauges and fixtures through patient cooperation with others, the use of SolidWorks, and a little bit of trial and error.
Cutthroat and Selective but Overall a Great Job
Maintenance Technician 1 (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZJanuary 23, 2019
Good starter job or if you like guns you get massive massive discounts a year. Pay isnt too great but halfway through the week you accrue time and a half.
Pros
Good breaks, gun discounts
Cons
Lots of gours, no overtime
Fast Paced and productive
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Mayodan, NCJanuary 22, 2019
I really enjoyed working here. I really did not want to leave. If I had had a reliable sitter I would still be working there. It's fast paced and productive. Management is very professional and understanding. All types of people work there. The hardest part of it other than leaving was when a machine went down and had to wait for it to be fixed. I really liked being able to learn new things almost every day and move around instead of standing in one spot all the time.
Pros
Hard work pays off
Cons
Short breaks
Really Cool Job If You Love Guns
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Mayodan, NC 27027January 12, 2019
The company was ok but Management and Leads were terrible. The good ones always got shown the door and they kept the ones that would rather see you struggle just so they could fuss about something. I loved learning how to put guns together and machining parts for the guns but like all machines they eventually break down and the leads blame you for it. A typical day at work requires you to meet a goal in production and they expect it no matter what.

The workplace is climate controlled so that is a plus if you don't like working in the elements. The Workplace culture is cut throat. It is very hard to determine who you can trust in there and if you have any medical issues then they will just look down on you. I have seen them jump on a former employee because she had back issues and her back went out one night so that is unacceptable in my book.

Hope this helped and if you go there...GOOD LUCK!!!
Pros
Profit Sharing (Even Though It Wasn't Much), Discounts on guns, Full Range of Benefits
Cons
Management, Leads and the machines need maintenanced bad.
Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Newport, NHDecember 31, 2018
Loved working there just was a long travel from goffstown and also made good bonus checks every 3 mounths loved the people i worked with just the mannagment was hard to deal with
Hot miserable
Heat Treat Operator (Former Employee) –  Newport, NHDecember 19, 2018
Pay is very low for the environment you have to work in. It does have some great employees and a lot of jobs to choose from to learn and gain different skills.
Pros
Good employee benefits
Cons
Low pay
good place to work
polisher cnc operator (Former Employee) –  Newport, NHDecember 15, 2018
I enjoyed my time at ruger .I learned a lot really met some super people .there hr department is very informative and is always right there for you with any question you may have.my day was busy for the most part .I got to learn machines ive never run before.most enjoyable was doing my job polishing barrels and knowing that they looked good and my work was never questioned.
Pros
great people good wages
Cons
gun sales always up and down so the work load was always up and down
Horrible company to work for
Inventory Management, Admin 2 (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZNovember 9, 2018
Horrible company to work for, if you are not apart of the "in" group, you are not moving up or getting a decent raise. You all know who you are, you should be ashamed of yourselves for treating hard working people that way.
Cons
Will not support this company
CNC Operator/EMD operator (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZOctober 30, 2018
I ran 8 machines myself and still tried to help those around me. They're many reasons, I refuse to buy or work from this company.

I've worked on a jobsite in the oilfield with 1200+ people and everyone had a seat for a staff meeting.

Ruger pushes the tables out of the way and makes the entire work force stand there for staff meetings.

But the reason I left with out notice was, my mom went to the E.R. with a heart issue and they didn't know. If she would make it through the night. I called in and told them my mom is in the hospital and went to take care of my FAMILY. She went to bed at 10:00pm and I went to work and spoke with the line supervisor and expressed to him what was going on and if he needed me. I'm here to finish the shift.

He said, "I didn't expect you back, You can finish the 3 hours if you want, but we still have to dock you a day".

I finished my work and went and spent the night with my mom back in the hospital.

Why would anyone want to work that hard for a company to ding up their work record for putting a family emergency first?

Guess what you cant move up in the company , with a dinged record!

The Experience you learn their, isn't accepted other places, they call ruger workers, button pushers.

To add, I always worked, kept 8 machines going and never stopped until break. Once I stopped to talk to a co-worker about getting a ride to a training, the line manager yelled at me to get back to work when they're 5 other guys sitting around talking.
Pros
None!
Cons
No respect for the lower workers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ruger. Our community is ready to answer.