Rural King Employee Reviews

Loader (Current Employee) –  Maysville, KYMarch 20, 2019
Everyone there is great to get along with! There is never a bad day there, always a good atmosphere. The managers put the excitement into working a retail job! Everyone loves going into rural king because of how we treat our customers because we are our customers!
Pros
15 percent discount in store purchases
Cons
Policy is a little strict in minors
Stressfull
Warehouse forklift (Current Employee) –  Vincennes, INMarch 19, 2019
Rural king is not friendly enough place for me. Looking for something different for myself. Don't feel this is where I want to be right now and ready to make a change
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Cleanliness
productive workplace
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, IL 61938March 19, 2019
It is a very fast paced position and alot of invoices need to be entered into the system everyweek. they have several different stores in several different states
Bad place to work
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gallipolis, OHMarch 17, 2019
Management was terrible to work for. Favoritism was a big issue. There were always alot of rumors and secrets about people within management that leaked out into the rest of the employees.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Awful management
Avoid this place like the plague unless you are a strong manager!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, INMarch 17, 2019
I worked at the Greensburg store for two years. I was hired into a dept mgr position with very little management experience and I was thrown into the job with virtually no training. I was expected to know Rural King's expectations and left to figure it out on my own and was met with condescending asst mgrs. I moved to a different position in a matter of months. It seemed to improve when we got a store mgr who was more present than the previous mgr until circumstances has temporarily taken the new mgr out of the store. The store is dirty and poorly arranged and even though Rural King is bringing in more food items, they do little to control vermin in their stores. Also, I was entitled to paid time off when the acting mgrs told me I was not. I liked most of my co-workers, but there is a lot of turnover because of the lack of coordinated effort by the people that are not all on the same page while the mgr is out of the store. They all have their own idea of how the store should be. I believe the company should focus on both basic retail and safety training, as when hurt on the job, no one seems to know that they are supposed to fill out an incident report or how to handle drug testing. The asst mgrs need to be trained on how to recognize the strengths of each employee and help them succeed in the right job for them and also be more familiar with Rural King policies. There is way too much conflicting information. Corporate needs to understand that if this is their vision, they need to change it. This store is in a small town and has a lot of potential customers looking for items  more... you cannot find at the local Walmart, but it needs a lot of work to avoid criticism and to bring in more customers.  less
Pros
Good customers, product variety, pricing
Cons
Needs training, job support, organization
overall i enjoyed it
loader (Former Employee) –  Madisonville, KYMarch 15, 2019
I had a problem with getting acid spilled on my hand because somebody didn't do their job properly. I learned how to operate a fork lift. I enjoyed my job duties.
Not a recommded work place
Hauler/ Forktruck operator (Current Employee) –  Mattoon, ILMarch 12, 2019
Poor managment, lack of training for new associates and low concerns for over all safety are just a few key things that I have been witness to in my years as an associate for Rural King. The HR rep is very confrontaional with all associates even when just needing basic info from paychecks to just correcting basic info. I have had multiple paycheck errors which would some times take weeks for them to corect or in one circumstance they had made a differnt mistake on the same check multiple times which lead to me waiting weeks on a single check. My yearly evaluation was not once on time with my hire on date there were multiple years where it was over a month later even after asking multiple times when I would be receiving my eval. My over all experience at Rural King was very poor and I would not recommend working for this company.
Pros
They leave the left overs from corperate lunches in the break room for the wharehouse associates
Cons
Tempature, management, training, saftey
Management only cares about making themselves look good
CSM Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Circleville, OHMarch 10, 2019
Pay sucks and they expect more work out of you than you can reasonably do with no help. They don’t care if you don’t have time they expect it done but there is no overtime!
Pros
Discount
Easy work but stressfull
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Butler, PAMarch 4, 2019
A typical at Rural King consists of people that come up to you and give you a heard time. Three out of the five managers are nice and understanding. The people that work there are very nice and friendly but sometimes the customers can ruin your whole shift. The hardest part of the job is to be able to take any mean comment with a smile.
Pros
An hour long lunches, laid back
Cons
Mean customers, not enough payment
Fast Paced and competitive
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Mattoon, ILMarch 4, 2019
Working here is very fast paced and enjoyable, I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great, fun time. Pay is good and benefits are awesome.
Fun environment to work
Cashier Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Peru, ILFebruary 28, 2019
Typical day at work was greeting and helping customers. As a cashier you checked customers out and bagged their items.At the end of the day we picked everything and faced the isles.
Good place
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Martinsville, INFebruary 27, 2019
Friendly staff, friendly management, and fair pay. Management is nice and willing to help with any problems that may occur. Most enjoyable part is the friendliness and the fact that the building has air conditioning.
was great when i started
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INFebruary 26, 2019
this was a great place to work at first but hours were slowly takin away, they add days but wont up the hours so you can work more hours but less days, the managers are no good, loss prevention is so worried about telling on employees and watching us that they miss the people stealing and then we are in trouble when we dont catch them but at the same time we arent allowed to say anything to someone we think is stealing until their past the chekout but arent supposed to leave our post at customer service. cant win for lossin here. they have to many cashiers to be able to give anyone more hours. i love the cashiers i worked with but managment is another story. you get points for calling in even with a dr note and then they complain when you come in sick. they work you to death during peak times and then take all your hours away to the point you can barely survive after that. the pay is not consistent as new hires start out at more then people who have been there for years. the loaders get the dirty work and make no more then the cashiers for everything they have to do. I think its a good place to work for teenagers that don't have families to support.
Pros
the employess
Cons
management
Just a real drag to be honest.
Loader (Former Employee) –  Muncie, IN 47304February 23, 2019
Long hours, poor schedule management, got fired for being at basic training which is basically illegal but I'm glad I didn't have to stay there. Going back to McDonald's was more enjoyable than that place.
Great coworkers, managers that dont care, drama and much more
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Zephyrhills, FLFebruary 22, 2019
Working at Zephyrhills Rural King was alright.
For the 12 months of working in this store from overnight to early morning stocking before the position was terminated was an odd bumpy road trip.

Here's my take on this store as a stocker.
Work is work, you just had to deal with the repetition of it all. The co-workers and certain assistant managers were great, understandable and were there to help if anything happens..that is if management would allow it.

The schedules were flexible and would be able to help you out if you had school or another job so my schedule was set for myself accordingly.

Typical day at work was to grab a pallet jack, grab a pallet and move it out to the floor to work it out and do what you can. If there wasn't a spot for the item you were to get with an assistant manager or a co-worker who's been there for awhile and they'll tell you to put it back in the pallet or they'll make a spot for it for you to stock.

Department managers of specific locations for example: pets, livestock, hardware & automotive etc aren't there to tell you if it belongs there or not so putting an item up if it doesn't belong there is crucial to your job as a stocker so its best for you to put it back until their shift begins.

Pro tip is: if you don't know where the item belongs, get with someone in the stocking crew who's been there for awhile for help and if that doesnt work then its best to put the item back in the pallet, put it back in the receiving room and let your receiving management know of the cause of returning that pallet back and leave a note taped
  more... to it for your co-workers to know that you've worked it so that they won't get confused and for your department managers to try and make a spot for it.

You'll also be answering phone calls, fronting and zoning the store and working end caps. The store is understaffed so some days you'll be on register, grabbing shopping carts outside when prompt to help around.

The store may be big but there's too many items on the sales floor for certain items to go out regardless of planograms so most of the stuff you pull out to work will usually end up going back to the receiving room and get cluttered with backstock.

The management goal and expectations is for you to do the impossible, possible. You're to clear out the back room and leave it spotless as much as you can when the truck has been delivered and downstacked before you were to end your shift and the next truck to arrive. But in reality that isn't the case.

I'm usually the type to go for realism than expectations but I try my best to get the job done and usually 'trying your best' is frowned upon. You won't be able to clear the backroom 100% but at least enough to make it less cluttered thank what it was before.

Teamwork is key, so if you need help its best to get with someone. Management will question you on why you're working together and will separate you from working with he or she and will use "bUt iN mY pErSpEcTiVe" and so on as an excuse to seperation so do your best to get help as much as possible because each day is not going to be the same day as yesterday.

The store has an utterly disgusting rodent infestation. You'll find baby mice in livestock bags and pet food bags inside and in between pallets and see a big mouse running from asile to asile and even in the receiving room and bathrooms. The traps they have arent helping and are filled with garbage and dust and isn't really helping. You'll also find spiders, big roaches in certain areas as well so as a stocker you'll be working in these departments regardless so wash your hands periodically when done.

Its an 'ok' beginner job for those coming out of school or just need a little extra cash. But if you're looking for advancement, slow-paced work, more pay after 6 months you might as well keep moving because this job doesn't offer it. More pay is offered after 1 year of service and usually it ranges to $1 or less.

This particular store DOES INDEED have favoritism, don't let this discourage you from your work and if you still tend to work here, godspeed to you.
Pros
Discounts, co-workers, flexible schedule, reasonable lunches
Cons
drama, management, understaffed, medicore pay, favoritism, rodent infestation
My typical day
Receiving Manager/Driver (Current Employee) –  Litchfield, ILFebruary 21, 2019
I clock in every morning at 5 til 7. I begin my day by sending invoices needing paid to accounts payable via email. I then file the previous days paperwork. Throughout the day, I check incoming product into our computer system, evaluate defects, complete cycle counts and transfers, as well as complete any online orders that come in that day. On occasion, I unload trucks and load customer vehicles using a forklift. At the end of my shift, I finalize all the necessary paperwork, evaluate the day's progress, and clean my work area so it's ready for the next day.
Pros
straight shift, no weekends, great people, job variety
Cons
slow day=boredom, and lack of communication
Horrible place to work for
Loader (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNFebruary 20, 2019
Managers aren't professional and they rely on the loaders for everything inside that store company is good but the management sucks they don't know how to treat associates around customers
Pros
There isn't any pros
Cons
Terrible job
Awesome
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILFebruary 19, 2019
I worked in the Gun Barn, selling guns and other outdoor stuff. Job was great, the employee discount was great, and the stock option is awesome. Work here if you can because they treat you right.
Mostly good
Pet and livestock associate (Former Employee) –  Vincennes, INFebruary 18, 2019
Was a good experience
Management had a hard time leaving what was wrong at home, home
Discounts were nice
Never really had a bad customer experience
Pros
Good environment
Cons
its an okay place to work
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Henderson, KYFebruary 17, 2019
They do not pay great. Nor do they hire enough employs. They will work with your schedule. They are not the worst place I ever worked at. They just need some improvements.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rural King. Our community is ready to answer.