Rural King Employee Reviews

Fun work place, and great environment to be in.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNNovember 16, 2018
I enjoyed working here, and getting to know everyone. I got along with everyone, and enjoyed the positive attitudes from coworkers, managers, and the customers.
Retail Sales Associate, Cashier, Loader (Former Employee) –  West Paducah, KYNovember 11, 2018
There were no set schedules the work place was just always dirty no one ever knew how to clean up their area and the managers there were just lazy and never wanted to do anything and they would pick favorites and if you wasn't one of the favorites they would make you do their job as well so they didn't have to do anything. the employees outside of the managers were great people but the mangers were just terrible and they would always change the store around so customers never knew where anything was and then they would ask us employees and we wouldn't even know.
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
Managment was terrible and the store was never in its right place.
Laid back workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Radcliff, KYNovember 8, 2018
A typical day at work would start off with a morning meeting. This meeting is where we would share the previous days accomplishments and the daily goals. Then you would prepare for customers to come in and shop your area. You help customers find product and share any knowledge you have of the product.
I learned a lot about retail, merchandising and managing here.
Management here is touch and go. You have some managers who are very productive and easy to work with, but others who are not.
The workplace culture is very laid back for the most part. Everyone tried to help everyone else, if they can, and most are happy to help the customer.
The hardest part of the job was trying to find a way to please difficult customers. Sometimes, no matter what you do, it will be impossible, but I believe that has more to do with the customers demeanor before they even step foot in the store.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know your local farmers and trying to help them as much as possible.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Working weekends
They do not listen and no one wants to really help
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALNovember 6, 2018
I am a college student, so you would think they would work me more with me needing the money. But I only get 15 or less a week. My most recent paycheck I had clocked 31.5 hrs in 2 weeks. They severely under paid me. Like $100 severely under paid. Then when you want to try to get ahold of anyone they do mot want to answer. Plus when I asked for more hours (multiple times) they refused to give me anymore hrs.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, poor salary
Good place to shop but not work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Zephyrhills, FLOctober 29, 2018
I loved the job when I first started. People were friendly for the most part. The schedule when I first started was decent but when someone else started doing it, it got bad. You could no longer plan around your days due to it constantly changing. They'd change your schedule without letting you know. So you had to check it daily. A few of the managers were rude and unpleasant to deal with. It's constantly short staffed. There's never enough cashiers. Customers complain about that alot. They're not a company that cares about your family life. You're expected to answer phones while dealing with customers which I thought was rude to the customers in front of you.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, Discount
Cons
Mismanaged, Schedule
Difficult company to work for
Lead Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INOctober 29, 2018
The company was very demanding. The amount of work did not constitute the pay. The company does not treat their employees well. High turnover. Always training new employees. Very hard work!
Pros
Cons
All kinds of cons
Very rude management.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Crystal River, FLOctober 26, 2018
I had applied as a cashier for Rural King and they called me to come in for an interview the next day. Well I had an emergency come up and I was gonna be able to make it. I called first thing in the morning. I talked to the manager and he was understanding but then he transferred the call to the HR. When she answered the phone I explained that I had an emergency and wont be able to come in today, if I can reschedule for the next day. She instantly got an attitude and said "We are book both day, have a good day" and hung up on me before I could even say anything. She was very rude and inconsiderate. Shows a lot about management.
Part Time Employment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALOctober 23, 2018
Fair Manager and Staff. Great Place to work, I've learned a lot and have had plenty of help from fellow employees. Fellow employees always willing to help you learn and excel.
Pros
Training
Cons
Hours
RK is a great job for young people starting out of and retired people. so we
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Spring HillOctober 23, 2018
RK is a good place if you're young or retired. Higher management is obtainable if that is your goal. The management is mostly good, but often over lap each other
The employees are pretty much all good to work with.
Pros
Close to home, can be fun. Enjoy working with people
Cons
Customer service is declining
it was very laid back
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, KYOctober 21, 2018
working there was honestly the best job i had due to hors and pay being cut i left because of the assistance manager that came in and they had to let some people go till buisness started back up.
Pros
very outgoing environment
Cons
..hours being cut on short notice
Inconsistent
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 21, 2018
Working at Rural King, they throw you on to the sales floor with no real training. Communication with the managers is difficult, they’ll change your schedules even though they make them 3 weeks in advance. You have to schedule a day off 30 days in advance because they make the schedule too far in advance. The pay is alright but could be better. The discount is only 15% and all the items at rural king are overpriced. 30 minute lunches and one 15 unless you work 9 or more hours. Uniform is very relaxed, you get the option of wearing a Rural King t-shirt instead of a vest, also you wear jeans or khakis and closed toe shoes.
Pros
Discount, uniform
Cons
short breaks, schedule inconsistencies, poor management, schedules too far out
Rural King
Maintenace (Former Employee) –  Litchfield, ILOctober 20, 2018
Very fast pace work environment. Adequate staffing and steady work.. Management was unorganized but otherwise a unique learning experience and we had many valued satisfied customers.
Not the best place to work
Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  Circleville, OHOctober 20, 2018
Typical day is hectic
I didn't really learn anything
The management needs replaced with new people
Hardest part of the job is the night shift being understaffed
The most enjoyable part is some of the workers
Pros
Some of the workers
Cons
The management
Management is poor
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, OHOctober 19, 2018
Management is very hard to work with and kind of half and half.
Hard hours because its just what they give you, unless you fill out availability but it has to be FAR in advance.
Stressful environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  TennesseeOctober 18, 2018
Too few hours to run a store properly. Associates are responsible for cashiering as well as maintaining the integrity of the floor. Customers suffer and the store is a mess. Store manager likes to place blame on anything but the scheduling. Turnover is too high.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Scheduling
rural king
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Connellsville, PAOctober 18, 2018
at time its very fast pace but everyone is nice to work with.
all the managers are very understanding and kind.
I learned how to handle unruly costumers because of working here.
It was fun
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INOctober 13, 2018
Rural king is the best job I’ve ever had it was fun at times stressful but it was loads of fun and I wouldn’t have done anything different fun co-workers and amazing customers
Pros
Free brakes good people
no good
Customer service, stocking merchandise (Former Employee) –  Winchester, KYOctober 12, 2018
Horrible place to work! Management is unorganized and ignorant. They have no clue how to treat their employees. There is no work/life balance. Never did I ever get 2 days off in a row. There is no getting ahead with this company. The wages are garbage! The only benefit of this job was the discount!
More focused on minutia than on the big picture.
Firearms Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVOctober 12, 2018
I enjoy the job. However, there is no clear direction from management on how to accomplish tasks or to follows company guidelines. In my position, I am expected to stay at my work station until relieved for breaks and lunch, but management will fail to assign anyone and fail to respond for requests for help. They then complain when I am not able to take lunch. There is also a severe lack of adequate personnel to handle the customers we have on a day to day basis.
Pros
Very nice and understanding customers.
Cons
An unwillingness to provide adequate staffing.
Rural
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Martinsville,VaOctober 11, 2018
Rural King In Martinsville Va, is the worse place to work for! VERY POOR MANAGMENT...FAVORTISM...the list could go on..Before getting hired was told they could work with your schedule now its like they dont care, ..IF YOUR NOT IN THEIR CLICK..YOU DONT FIT IN!! The customers are Wonderful..But MANAGMENT SUCKS .PRETTY MUCH RACIST

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rural King. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about