Rural King Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
rural king
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 13, 2018
I do not have anything to write about rural king at this time. Rural king is a retail store and is not any different the any other retail store. You should debate working there
Enjoyable
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jasper, INMay 9, 2018
This is a retail store and I am not one who typically enjoys any job in retail, but with the type of management and customers that you serve, the job is much more enjoyable.
Not a bad job
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  WVMay 8, 2018
Rural King would be a good place to work if they would get rid of store manager. Everyone is looking for a new job. Morale in that store is really low, nobody is happy.
Pros
You get an hour lunch but you have to clock out.
Cons
No overtime. If you get called in because someone was sick, you have to take an extra day off, so it's like working for free
It was so face paced and lifting more than 10 lbs was an impossible task
Cashier / Front End Assistance - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, FLMay 7, 2018
I Would Come In and Go Back To The Managers Office and Pick up My Cash Drawer I would then find out which register I was to work at Then I Had To Open. The Cash Register and Turn On the Light of the number register I was on then I would start checking people out. Then At The End Of My Shift I Had To Log Out Of The Register and Be Walked Back To The Cash Room. Then They Would Count The Money & Let Me Know If I Was Short Or Over.
Pros
I Was Paid Weekly
Cons
Breaks Were Way To Short.
Frustrating job
Material Handler/Forklift Operator/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INMay 7, 2018
The trucks aren't usually loaded right when they are received. Heavy products on top of unsteady lighter stock. Complaints to managers does no good. The live plants inside aren't usually watered. The live animals aren't maintained properly. Not watered enough. When they get pasty butt their bottoms aren't washed. So they die. Most managers don't know their departments well enough. What they don't feel like doing during the day and evening hours is left for the over night crew to do.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Could be a nice place to work
loader (Current Employee) –  Ocala, FLMay 7, 2018
I have only been working at RK for 2 weeks, in the first 2 weeks they already put me in on a full-time schedule, I was hired as part-time and can only work part-time because I have a disability and am on SSDI. I have mentioned it to the scheduling manager and every other manager, all saying the same thing "It will be taken care off" but nothing is fixed, no communication.

I hear the same complaints from other employees, pay is way below average for this area, 3-4.00$ an hour lower., management does not care about employees, work is stressful, etc.

I came here because I liked the store and the customers are great, money for me didn't matter too much. But I was a supervisor for 20 years and one of the many things I have learned is , if you are not going to pay well , treat your employees well and they will want to stay. The managers here don't seem to understand this and this is one reason you lose good employees, and the customers see this, they like seeing the same people they have gotten to know and when they see a turn over like this they wonder why. Like I said before I have been here only a couple weeks and have already gotten to know several customers by name and/or face and they like being able to see someone they know and can come to.

I truly hope they change, soon or I may too move on. GMR
Pros
Good people, great discounts
Cons
management
Good pleasant work envirnment.
Freight Handler (Former Employee) –  Charleston, ILMay 2, 2018
The Rural King Ware House I really did like it, I was just starting to get situated in getting my ducks in a row over there with knowing what to do. The one problem was I had a heck of a hard time lifting those boxes off the trailers and those trailers seemed like they were endless.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
the work was phiscally hard and demanding
Productive and a fun work environment
Assistant Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, PAMay 2, 2018
Very productive
Fast paced
The manager is easy to get along with
Night shift requires a lot of lifting and walking
Great environment
Employees are very welcoming
Pros
No customers during night shift
Cons
Not paid during lunch
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, FLMay 1, 2018
when I worked there managers worked a minium of 50 hours a week my postion I could wind up working up to 70 to 80 hours per week with no overtime pay just burnout
Pros
discount
Cons
long hours no staff
Fast work environment with low pay and stress
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  UnknownMay 1, 2018
You come into work and you start at 100mph and are expected to be pulled 100 different ways and at the end of the day, to have over come every task with complete success with or without help.

The pay is not as competitive as they say it is. Most employers in the area will pay minimum of 1.00 more an hour for less stress and better environment. We are expected to have people come into a location with pay that doesn’t support a family. We do hire minors and that low pay is acceptable to them as cashiers and loaders. But to expect an adult with a child or two, to support their family on 9 or 10 dollars an hour it beyond naive thinking. Maybe 5 or 6 years ago that was possible. But in the day we currently live in. That is highly impossible and very disrespectful to assume they can.

The mentality of the new store managers coming in has ran the associate moral into the ground. The company strives to say we are not like tractor supply or Walmart. Yet we are hiring their District managers and store managers and letting them run the company. Once you push past store/co manager and DM....THE LEADERSHIP IS STRONG AND FULLY ENGAGED. But that will change once promotions push up the dm and sm.

Final thoughts. If the upper management (Store/COManager and District Manager) would stop thinking of the P&L and how much money is going to be bonuesed to them for the month, and start taking care of the associates...this company would strive. The companies MOTO is “we are our customers”. Well let me tell you, the way you treat your associates (aka our customers) have to change.
Pros
Discount, stock program with matching program, decent health care
Cons
No True leadership, low pay, very stressful
Comfortable work environment
Loader/Unloader receiving customer service (Former Employee) –  Waverly, OHApril 29, 2018
Overall it's not a bad place to work it's a fun high paced environment with great employees management is fine at a local level but terrible at a corporate level which trickles down to local management and employees causing for confusion or a change of plans sometimes numerous times thru out your work day
Pros
Discounts catered meals on holidays
Favortism
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALApril 28, 2018
Employees are dropping like flies due to terrible management. Management doesn't communicate with each other so no one knows what's going on when you inquire about something. There's also a lack of promotion among this store as well since they'd rather hire outside help or promote their equivalent to teacher's pets. Can't recommend unless you want a stressful environment with incompetent management.
Pros
1 hour lunch
badd
Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Huber Heights, OHApril 27, 2018
bad managers and bad hr problems employes dont always know what they are spose to ddo and lead to a dangerous work conditions where they failed to follow the law and put employed in danger
Amazing place to work
Stocker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Martinsville, INApril 26, 2018
Rural king is the best place for employees and customers. Everyone is nice and consistent. Work as a team. It’s a job that everyone enjoys at least I do
Bad management,no team players
Loader (Former Employee) –  Benton, ILApril 26, 2018
The whole store needs to be retrained, especially the management, they yell at employees in front of customers, bad radio speak, employees argue all the time, not good place to work
Pros
N/a
Cons
Too much to list
Fast paced and friendly
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Leesburg, FLApril 23, 2018
This particular store is very fast paced that comes with many freight trucks a week. The staff their is very stubborn but very friendly and are willing to go above and beyond. The customers are all mostly retired people from the villages. Management is almost like baby sitting sometimes but it is very easy to work with merchandising. The hardest part is the drive for me but then their is the attitude of some employees
Worst management team
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Connellsville, PAApril 20, 2018
Ive worked retail for about 6 years now And i have never seen such poor management in my life. Your schedule gets changed 4 times a week and half the time it dont even get posted then you get wrote up because you dont come in for a shift you dont even know about. Constantly cutting hours off full time associates. You never do the job your hired for you do everyone else in the stores job. I was told by a manager store work came before helping customers completely blew my mind.
Poor Management, Very sexist manager
Loader (Former Employee) –  Van Wert, OHApril 18, 2018
-Typical workday- Start your day out with checking animals and bringing in carts and doing loadouts and bringing batterys and empty skids to the back.
Management- sexist, does not like males, loves to write you up with no apparent reason.
Pros
Cons
management
Would NOT recommend
Overnight Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Maysville, KYApril 16, 2018
The managers say whatever they want and do whatever they want, and the people who do all the work take the hit for everything. Told they're not doing enough and there isn't a single other thing to be done. Horrible horrible management skills!!!
Fun enviroment to work in
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Salem, ILApril 10, 2018
Was cashier and helped in clothing. Enjoyed interacting with lots of people and the farmers. Was relaxed. Busy place so you needed to be able to check people out quick if it was to busy.