Rural King Employee Reviews

Not a fun place to work
Department Manager Hardware (Former Employee) –  Jasper, INJuly 14, 2018
I was a department manager there working 40 hours a week. I enjoyed the work at first but then it really started to get stressful with the amount of work they wanted done in a short period of time. Very stressful place to work.
Strict
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Pikeville, KYJuly 11, 2018
Strict attendance policies, hard to work company. Little to no help on the floor but cashiers are wonderful. Front end management is helpful and very sweet.
Pros
stay busy
Cons
too much work for night shift people
poor
Cashier (Current Employee) –  New Philadelphia, OHJuly 11, 2018
the nice part of working there you get to animal's that come into the store some managers are nice but not including store manager take of of your customers
Cons
domt always get breaks
Growing company with alot of growing up to do. No fair pay for fair work here.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Farmington, MOJuly 11, 2018
Rural King is a steadily growing company with poor corporate leadership and no respect for its employees at the store level. After the Trump tax break they decided that instead of giving employees raises like some places they would give it to a Hospital in Mattoon, IL (the location of the corporate offices) which is nice but in no way benefits a majority of its employees hundreds of miles away. The corporate office seems to fly by the seat of its pants. They will enact a new procedure or program only to forget about it a few months later. Logistics is terrible, they can't keep employees or truck drivers so enlist the stores to send their employees to help at the detriment of the stores. The CEO is only in his position due to him being related to the founders. Menards, Lowes, and Walmart pay better for all positions from the part time cashier to the store manager, but Rural King hides behind the ability to buy shares in the company.

As far as store day to day, it's usually laid back compared to other retail stores. Rural King is less structured than other places allowing more freedom to merchandise. Planograms are terrible here and usually require some flexing and moving of merchandise. Managers are more flexible with scheduling than most. Workload for management can be stressful. Its often seems like Rural King is getting more out of me then what I'm getting paid. Managers are scheduled 50 hours but are paid hourly. They reworked pay so that when the Obama era salary overtime rule was about to go into effect they would not have to pay managers more. (Assisstant managers were
  more... paid salary, but Rural King reworked it so that you got paid hourly the same amount a year as you did when salary.)

I would only come work here as a stop gap between jobs.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Terrible pay, stressful, poor corporate leadership, no respect toward employees
Rural King
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, INJuly 9, 2018
was hired as part time but was scheduled full time hours. management was nothing but bullies. Reported managers attitude toward me, was made to be my fault.
no chance for advancement
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJuly 6, 2018
I worked there over 2 years and was never given the opportunity to advance.I was not happy with management. Was promised advancement and a pay raise and never received it.
Pros
schedule
Cons
management
Stressful. Dirty.
Small Engine Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Niles, MIJuly 5, 2018
Not a horrible place to work, but... Stressful, unorganized, dirty (they had to stop selling food/beverages for a week because of mice and roaches). Rural king tries to be too many stores in one.
great place to work.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, OHJuly 5, 2018
Logistics is our biggest issue at the store, a lot of growth needed in this area on store level. I truly believe in the values of this company. Great company to learn with and to grow with.
Pros
discounts and training
Cons
low ball on pay
Fun at times, lots of nice people but can be a very stressful workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Niles, MIJuly 5, 2018
The hardest part about the job is when you can't always make the customer happy, sometimes there really is nothing you can do about the situation. Most everyone you meet working at Rural King will turn out to be great friends, everyone there is amazing. Some people aren't the easiest to get along with at times, but in the long run its worth it. Management is (was) always incredibly nice, and most of the time extremely understanding. They will help you in whatever way they can, in any type of situation.

So in my opinion, it really is a great place, just as long as you can handle a little stress along the way.
Hardest Part
Manager (Current Employee) –  Owensboro, KYJuly 5, 2018
Expected to do a lot of different task while having to wait on customers. It is hard to get everything done that you are asked. Expected to help work your department as well as doing several other jobs.
busy
Salesman (Current Employee) –  Cross Lanes, WVJuly 2, 2018
It was busy, and all the fellow co=workers took care of ya if you needed something. they allowed dogs in there so thats pretty cool. You can work fexiable hours for schooling, other work, and if you have family issues.
Cashier Position
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Radford, VAJune 29, 2018
-Most of the customers that came through my line are genuine people. Most are pleasant but some are rude.
-Co-workers are friendly but some don't do their job.
-Management are friendly but aren't flexible with you availability and vacation time.
-Workplace, co-workers not doing what they are suppose to be doing. Hiding behind registers, not staying by their register when it is busy, and a lot of drama.
-Most enjoyable part of the job is seeing all the animals that are brought in by our customers.
Pros
Seeing everyone's pets
Cons
Drama
Management.
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Bluefield, WVJune 29, 2018
Management at rural king especially in the bluefield 89 store is completely unprofessional they will right up anyone that doesn't follow a schedule but one manager specifically takes hour long lunch breaks and just leaves with out telling anyone. How can you follow the rural fir your piers but not them yourself. I do not recommend working there until the big boys clean house. And they wonder why they have such a high turn around rate
Pros
Cons
Managers start drama and make false accusations
Fast pace but fun to work here
Customer Service Manager (CSM) (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, OHJune 27, 2018
Answer most of the phone calls as well as deal directly with the customer in front of you sometimes you may have to email buyers about customer special orders or about bringing new product into the store.
Pros
Flexible on scheduling
Cons
Short staffed
Isn't a bad place
FARM AND LIVESTOCK DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Maysville, KYJune 26, 2018
My time at Rural King has definitely been an experience for me, My first retail job has taught me a lot. I would recommend this as a good first job experience.
Management never on the same page.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Winchester, KYJune 25, 2018
This company wouldn't be near as bad if management would get on the same page. It's a drama filled back stabbing location to work. Tell you one thing to your face, then tell higher level management something else behind your back.
Pros
Hour Lunch
Cons
Poor Management
I enjoyed my work with this company.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Jeffersonville, INJune 24, 2018
Upper management needs a major rehaul in structure. I personally had 4 different managers while i worked there. Making changes with each one made staffing difficult.
If the higher ups possessed more leadership skills this place would have been completely diff.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Effingham, ILJune 23, 2018
You are a sales number only. The time i put into this job was only because I truly cared about what I was doing. Sales always good had a great yr. And jumped in sales tremendously and couldn't catch it the following yr. The store was never walked as a standard. The higher ups manage out of fear of losing their jobs. I heard more then once I have a morgage to pay don't you or well I have kids to feed. Somebody had a hair brain idea and they would send it out with a 1 2 3 go. Nobody listened to why you felt things were the way they were as long as you were making sales they really didn't care. Processes were difficult, turnover was high. If you told the company it was pay they would give you the if they liked your leadership they would stay. Double standard through and through. Turn over was just as high with management as it was in the stores bit nobody was held responsible for that. If you want to give everything you gave to a company that will give nothing back by all means take a chance.
Pros
Discount, customers, associates.
Cons
Upper management. Terrible processes. lots of turnover.
Decent workplace with great atmosphere
Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Zephyrhills, FLJune 20, 2018
Fun place to work at, though hard work is involved as it is a farming oriented store. In general, management is great to work with but lack of labor hours provided to stores can leave many with not enough hours and the store suffers in customer service as a result of not enough employees in store.
Terrible Management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 20, 2018
Management is very condescending. Rarely have enough workers scheduled to cover full shift, usually only two people helping customers, while also trying to run their respective departments. High employee turn around. Lacking in basic leadership as well a "Do as I say" management style instead of a "Do as I do". Once in a schedule it is hard to get different shifts.
Pros
decent discount on items
Cons
Less than par management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rural King. Our community is ready to answer.