Rural King Employee Reviews

Productive and fun work place
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Lake Wales, FLSeptember 23, 2018
When I worked here I was there for about a year. It was fast paced but there is never a dull moment. You always have opportunities to grow as a person and an employee.
Pros
Great management, fun.
Start to finish workday.
Loader/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNSeptember 22, 2018
Be on time.
Do what you're told.
Be responsible for your area.
Help others when needed.
Management is very reasonable.
Keep store clean and parking lot clear.
Fun working enviorment
cashier (Current Employee) –  230 Central Pkwy, Heath, OH 43056September 17, 2018
typical day: easy going, sometimes i get packed but i am able to work through it.
what I learned: how to do a return, how to run a cash register, how to do gift receipts, how to store use items, look up items for inventory purposes.
Management: very helpful and respect workers, help when lines backed up, very respectful and polite to customers.
Workplace Culture: farm store, hardware, clothing, sporting goods, Garden center, and home goods
Hardest Part of the job: is when we get slammed when were short staffed.
Enjoyable part: making sure our customers had a great experience and want to come back
Pros
hours, expericnce, the feeling of being to help a customer find what they are looking for
Loved this job
Customer Service Manager (CSM) (Former Employee) –  Xenia, OHSeptember 10, 2018
I had never felt more comfortable and at home at a job than I did at RK. My store manager was an absolute joy to work with and I truly miss it. This was the first company to promote me and make me feel like I was an asset to the company.
Pros
20% discount
Just in general an awful place to work
Department Manager, Rural King (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INSeptember 10, 2018
I spent over a year and a half at rural king, and I must say the management is clearly lacking. As a first job it wouldn't be bad but planning to grow within the company is just not going to happen.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Almost legit slavery
Cutomer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Crystal River, FLSeptember 7, 2018
They pay you next to nothing and you don’t really get a raise when moving up. I became a CSM almost 2 weeks after I started working there and was promised a raise they never gave it to me. If you have a problem with an assistant manager don’t bother complaining because really you’ll just end up making your job life suck worse than it probably already does. Rural King is nothing but drama drama drama and it will suck the life out of you. They are so worried about putting the customer first, which they also suck at, that they end up treating their employees like trash. If you want to stay sane, do not work here.
Pros
Sometimes you get cool people to work with that help you have a good shift
Cons
Everything else. Pay management. EVERYTHING
Productive and easy work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Frankfort, INSeptember 7, 2018
My work experience at rural king was good. The other employees were friendly and helpful. The managers worked with me on my schedule. I enjoyed meeting new people everyday.
Fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Coshocton, OHSeptember 5, 2018
Learn things I wouldn't of if I wouldnt of worked there.great people to work for. Great flamily orenented company. Great customers coworkers and leaders .
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Cost of health care to coverage.
I enjoyed working at raural king it was fun
STOCKER (Former Employee) –  Effingham, ILSeptember 4, 2018
I enjoyed working with my coworkers we all got along very well. I liked working with coustomers they were friendly most of the time. My mangers were always helpful.
Pros
I liked the 15% off they gave the employees and the family of the employees
Cons
Having to work on the holidays some times
Fast paced environment
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Radford, VAAugust 30, 2018
I consider it fast paced because I'm always doing something whether it's helping a customer with finding the product that fits their needs, stocking and assembling products, or providing assistance to other areas in the store.
Pros
They allow 10 minute breaks as well as lunch breaks
Relaxed but unorganized
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, OHAugust 30, 2018
I had a hard time working at Rural King, simply because I am a perfectionist as well as being organized. The store I worked for had a very laid back, relaxed atmosphere, which was nice, but it led to a lot of things being overlooked and/or not paid the proper amount of attention. There was dust everywhere, and we had to clean with a cleaner that made everyone sick or they were allergic to. The manager was alright, but I didn't meet him until more than halfway through my time working there, and some days things got really hectic because some of the employees weren't being properly monitored. I enjoyed working with some of my coworkers, as well as having a decent employee discount. One of my least favorite parts of the day was having to stand on the concrete floor with low quality padding. My feet would hurt so much at the end of the day. My coworkers were very nice, and generally the job was pleasant, but sometimes customers would come in looking for an item and the aisles weren't specifically marked.
Pros
Good atmosphere, nice people
Cons
Store lacked cleanliness and organization, Employees would sometimes not perform duties
worst experience ive ever had.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hernando, FLAugust 30, 2018
The rural king I worked for was very unorganized . poor management , one of the asm's didn't like me because I worked with her daughter and her daughter didn't like me. Very unprofessional. It was a step up from fast food which I'm very grateful I got the experience . Best part about it was leaving.
Pros
15% discount
Cons
the managment.
eh
Sales Associate, Apparel (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, OHAugust 29, 2018
Rural King was not the best place to work. Bratty teenage girls and immature teenage boys worked there. When their baby chicks and turkeys had to be put down, they killed it inhumanely. Bad management. Rude.
Company that hates its employees
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 28, 2018
Rural king is the worst company I've ever seen when it comes to hostility toward its employees. The worst part is they cut your time for every reason you can imagine. You have to waste at least ten minutes out of your day watching the clock to punch in/out at precise times or you'll get written up for punching too early or too late. Managers will ask you to work over, then you won't get paid for it. When you tell them you can't work over because you don't get paid, then you get written up as well. I'm sorry that I can't work for the social experience of increasing a corporation's wealth. I work for a paycheck, and when they cheat me out of my money, they reduce my willingness to do their bidding.

They require you to set up direct deposit after hire, and will only cut you a couple of paper checks before you have to have direct deposit in place. The kicker is they won't give you a check stub after that, and the only way to check your time is in a complicated software program that is only accessible from their store computers, and is extremely difficult to find your data. The best part is they make your password expire at random times so the HR manager has to reset it, and they can keep up with who is actually watching their payroll.

Management is made up of the culls from other retail companies that couldn't hack it at Walmart or Lowe's, etc. They preach customer service then make it impossible for you to effectively serve the people who are bringing you business. I was at one point reprimanded for failing to answer a phone call when I was helping a line of customers
  more... check out. I have repeatedly heard the store manager get angry at loaders for not answering radio calls when those particular people weren't even working that day!

Management from corporate all the way down to ASMs have no clue what actually goes on in their stores. Every tool you need is kept under lock and key because the company doesn't trust its employees with its property, and a manager is required to unlock everything from cleaning supplies to printer paper, then they get mad when you ask them to unlock something.

Overall it's an impossible situation and I'm glad to be out of it. The funniest part of it all is the following proof that management is clueless... I worked out a two-weeks' written notice, which I gave to my ASM, the store manager, and the HR manager. They all got mad at me when I said my goodbyes to coworkers on my last day. They said they had a real problem with my failure to inform them of my decision to quit. They all completely forgot about my notice!

Good luck to everyone who can hang on for the next five years and go to work for Tractor Supply when they buy Rural King at a bankruptcy sale.
Pros
15% discount on all items except guns, which are 5% off.
Cons
Toxic invironment with unrealistic goals and no leadership
Great products at great prices- great company to represent
Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesAugust 26, 2018
Growing company with benefits and opportunities, that all growing companies have. Very passionate CEO, representing the company that his family built.
Pros
15% employee discount; private stock ownership program
Cons
Health benefits are available, but not great.
A culturless culture
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisAugust 26, 2018
Came into this really excited, promised a lot initially and then let down consistently. They have processes in place, however they are broken at best. Do as I say, not as I do.

I was sent to corporate for “training” for two weeks, away from my family, only to find out that a group of us had been conned into coming to work in the warehouse, and loose hours and pay while doing so. Upon return I addressed it with management and it was handled as things usually are, not at all.

The conditions of the buildings and equipment I would describe as opportunistic at best. This isn’t limited to the store, the corporate locations and Distribution Center is more of an indictment than the retail locations themselves.
Lousy place to work
Would rather not say (Former Employee) –  Monaca, PAAugust 22, 2018
The pay was in no way enough for the amount of BS they ask you to put up with. If all management would get on the same page as to how the store should run it would have been nice. Store manager would rarely make an appearance to answer customer complaints, but do something wrong and you hear about it from him and everyone else for a very long time. They say they promote from within that's a laugh, unless you're one of their pets. They also say they do not hire anyone under the age of 18, guess if you're dating one of the Assistant manger's kids they make an exception. Then they claim the person "accidentally slipped through the cracks". They never have enough employees scheduled to work, they expect one person to cover half of the floor during a shift, especially in the evenings, then management complains when things do not get done in the departments. Would not recommend working here, unless it's a last resort.
Pros
Some of coworkers
Cons
Too little pay for all the stress and BS you have to put up with, Management not on the same page, only chance for advancement if you were a management "Pet"
Not a very good place to work
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Xenia, OHAugust 20, 2018
While it’s was not a bad job the management was not willing to work with scheduling which was put up three weeks in advance. Was not able to plan do do things with my family
Pros
It’s a job
Cons
Mismanagement
Great place to work for but wish they paid more
Floor clerk/ cashier (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILAugust 20, 2018
Great place to work for but wish they paid more. Short staffed at times had to cover other people's department many of time. Management was fine just had to find a better place to work that paid more.
Pros
Cons
wish they payed more
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNAugust 18, 2018
Rural king is a good place to work if you like to deal with customers. They know know the meaning of team work. The mangers is amazing.
The environment is good.
Pros
Environment, and management
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rural King. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about