Rural King

• Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Overall satisfaction

boring and meaningless work

Little to no training, then expected to perform at an experienced level. Management showed little to no training themselves so the trend must be at a much higher level

Pros

above minimum wage in certain areas

Cons

no training

Bad management

The management at this company are really bad at realizing that people also has a personal life outside of work and don’t understand that outside life, if reasonable, takes priority over work, but the management fails to see that.

Pros

Cons

Toxic work environment

Friendly environment

I only worked on the weekends, but management was friendly and fun to work with. Very relaxed environment as long as you did your work. I would recommend working here for any high school student.

Worst place I've ever worked.

Management is a joke, don't expect to get anywhere in the company. The plant manager makes a drive down here from Columbus every day to "prove a point" on a plowed and salted 4 lane highway when the conditions are bad outside and then shames workers for getting stuck at home due to the weather because we live on back roads.

Pros

You'll probably get fired.

Cons

Everything imaginable.

Fun place to work but pay is bad

I enjoyed working there. If the pay was right I would still be there. The managers are great people, as are the fellow employees. I was usually busy which made time go faster. Still the biggest issue was pay and the fact that we had to push the Rural King credit card. It actually a decent card to have but I feel sleezy having to try to talk customers into applying for it.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Pay and being required to try and sell their credit card

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

They don’t have good management and they don’t clean up the place and they are poor workers should be closed down immediately

They are dirty they don’t pick up and clean up after themselves, their place has mice and dead animals in their aisles I would not want to work here. They have poor management and poor workers who don’t do what they need to do.

Cons

Bad management, bad environment, bad workers.

Pays but wouldn’t recommend

Management - frequently lies, does not care, does not listen, petty, lacks key strengths to properly manage employees, very drama filled environment (like middle school), Most people do not want to be here but need the money and have little other options and they capitalize on this. Don’t expect to enjoy coming to work if you choose the work here. The place is majorly disorganized and upper management won’t give the lower management the information they need to do their jobs. Most of the equipment is outdated and works poorly. Expectations are set high and environment is designed to let you fail. Favoritism is a major staple of the company and how they treat you. Rules are enforced either at random or if they don’t like you. If they don’t like you, they will find any lie they can pass as truth and are never questioned or punished for the lies and rumors they spread. Rarely promotes from within, know to hire people to lower jobs with intent of promoting but doesn’t want to make it look like they never promote from within.

Pros

Pays decent

Cons

Long hours, frequent mandatory overtime, unlikely to promote from within, minimum environment accommodations, disorganized, poor management

Not A Good Company to Work For

Pay is low for what they expect you to do. Management is weak. Training is nonexistent except for some training that is done on-line as a new hire. By the way, the on-line training doesnt help you one bit in performing your job. Job was hectic. Department was under staffed. Management did not ensure employees were given adequate breaks. This was the worst place I ever worked in my 40 years of employment. Stay away.

Pros

5% Employee Discount on Guns

Cons

Pay, Training, Management, etc.

Company does not care about you presonally your easily replaceable

This company is a joke. They do not value their employees. They do not pay people what they are worth. The store is worse than high school and so much drama. They do not discapline their ASM's for their inappropriate behavior. They are understaffed and who they do have working their selves to death are treated unethically.

Pros

15% discount and some good ASM's

Cons

ignornat ASM, very unetheical behavior and poor " stand in store manager"

Racist Management

Poor management. Management gossips amongst themselves and employees.Racist, only one black person, no Hispanics.Poor training. Decent discount and pay.

Decent gun selection for cheaper prices

Working as a gun counter representative was enjoyable. the computer systems were a bit dated and the processes for doing background checks could be expedited working here on holidays was difficult and could have been executed better with more up to date software.

Depends on the store

The people you work with are typically really great but the pay is very low. There are times where you will be understaffed and have to do multiple jobs and then times where you are over staffed and don’t have much of anything you can do.

They don't treat you well unless you run a store

Terrible hours it took me 3 promotions and weeks of training modules to get to 10.50 an hour and once I got the better pay my hours dropped so I didn't actually make any more money. This company fired mtle after I was diagnosed with Chrome's

Pros

Easy to get hired

Cons

You'll be employed here

Gun Barnsales associate

Rural King Gun Barn Sales associate (part time) shorted 4 hours in first paycheck? hardly any training in the job(computer work)first day in the Gun Barn after a bunch of meanlingless non related training videos,(how to make popcorn,how to operate a floor scrubber, how to load a labeling machine etc. over 8 hours extoling the virtues of Rural King,when i expressed my concern of being left alone in the Gun Dept,for 8 hours,i was threatened with transfer to another Dept,with less than 22 hours in that dept.the only one that helped me with the computer work left, Quit and the other person tried but we were to busy for her to teach me anything,no training,no respect for my knowledge,a revolving door of humanity.good luck Rural King,the only thing that you have going for you is low prices,as far as employment goes,especially in the Gun Barn dept.look elsewhere.

Pros

no breaks we were to short handed, 4-5 hours on your feet, no sitting

Cons

a bunch, especially in the Gun Barn.don, t bother, no training, run away

First time job

Associate Sign in Morning meeting Then back to receiving to bring stock/ product out to departments Stock your departments selves Fill in end caps Help assist customers in need in store Cashier was as needed when busy checking customers out

Just a temp job

Just a temporary job. Easy work for a high schooler with out any skills, or elderly who need easy work in AC. The management is pretty cool though and very flexible.

Good job but poor managerment

Loved the job and the people/customers but hated the two faced Managers. No room for advancement and only pay raises annually which weren't anything to write home about. Management would say one thing then yell because you did what they wanted. No support with problems and no rewards as handbook states.

Pros

Loved people I worked with and the customers

Cons

Poor management, no advancement

Underpaid and overworked

In the feed department dealing with live animals and mass amounts of animal feed on a daily basis receiving $9/hr was kind of a joke. Most of all of the employees in the store have quit in the past and ended up back there as a last resort. Management is never on the same page with one another which causes issues throughout the entire store. It was an issue that managers would change the schedule without notice causing problems with majority of employees. They hire anyone with a pulse because their employee retention is so low. No overtime, extended lunch breaks are used to trim our hours to not exceed 40 hours a week. Out of the four assistant managers two of them are extremely supportive and will lead by example while the other two belittle and point out flaws until the job is done. The store manager is great, She comes across as mean - but as soon as you talk to her you'll realize she is actually really nice. Over night workers and manager are all old and excessively grumpy.

Friendly Atmosphere

I loved this job until management became pushy and forcing me to do things not in the job description, and being paid less BUT having to do other's jobs.

Pros

Discounts

Cons

Short breaks

Great Experience

Rural King is a family owned business with its headquarters in Illinois. My employment at Rural King is very rewarding in regard to working with the team, assisting customers, and the management's leadership style.

Pros

Excellent benefits and bonuses

Cons

Lots of walking

management crazy

the store manager and especially the District Managers need to take a beginners course on customer service and how to treat employees. leaving was the best thing I did, what a waste of my time!

Pros

co workers

Cons

management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rural King. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9

Compare Rural King with

Career recommendations for Associate

Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more
  • Rural King