Rural King

Associate36 reviews

Found 36 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,353 reviews
kingstorerkdiscountpopcornmanagercashiercustomer

Favorites

Bad management, plays favorites but friendly employees mostly. Can be hard back breaking work. Some easy depending on position. Easy to move up for better position.

Depends on who you are.

Good and bad people there. Depends on management mostly they form groups if you’re not part of that group you get ignored. The work is easy dealing with customers is easy dealing with management is horrible.

Pros

Customers brought in their pets so that was the best part petting all the dogs.

Cons

If you weren’t friends with management you never got a raise or opportunity to advance.

Rural King insights

Based on 1,129 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues

Ok

Ok, it's retail, what more can I say. They want you to live there, but keep cutting hours. You get paid for 1 job but do three. Not much more to say.

Productive work environment with opportunities to learn

Typical workday for Farm Associate:- Clock in and check on the hospital- Ensure all animals have food and water- Confirm all food and products are stocked and organized- Clean out all animal troughs and ensure they are all healthy- Check with manager to confirm all tasks are completed- Make sure the entire department is organized and clean throughout the day and especially ready for the next day

Pros

Pros: Flexible work hours, good pay, convenient location

Cons

Cons: Some horrid management that makes work miserable

incredibly friendly environment to work in.

great job escpecially if you have schedule work around, the managers care about your well being and are pretty lienent as long as you are doing what needs to get done. The credit card push is a little much but aside from that its a great place to work

Not a bad place to work for the short time, but it isn't anything long term.

The company is very mismanaged, and the sheer incomitance on the corporate level can be very frustrating, but it can be a very rewarding job. Working with the customers can really make you forget about the rest, and it is one of the best places to get started in selling firearms.

Pros

Chances to move up Pay isn't to bad

Cons

Managerial Disconnect People only care about the bottom line.

Management is horrible

They don't care; they write you up for dumb stuff and have horrible management; and can't do their job right and don't want to put in the work they do, and most of the managers at this store don't even need to be manager's period. I would write a better review because I like working there and doing what I do; however, I don't particularly appreciate working here because of management. I would recommend not working here because it is not worth it, and you will get written up for hardly any reason at all, and it's all about favoritism.

Pros

associates, pay, associate discounts

Cons

little to no lunch breaks, bad management, short breaks

Rude Managers

Managers didn’t care to help you learn the jobWorked long hours and no benefits Coworkers were the only good part of the job It’s another retail job so you know what you can expect

Pros

Breaks, Coworkers

Cons

Management, no flexibility

Bad management

The management at this company are really bad at realizing that people also has a personal life outside of work and don’t understand that outside life, if reasonable, takes priority over work, but the management fails to see that.

Pros

Cons

Toxic work environment

Friendly environment

I only worked on the weekends, but management was friendly and fun to work with. Very relaxed environment as long as you did your work. I would recommend working here for any high school student.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Rural King?

Worst place I've ever worked.

Management is a joke, don't expect to get anywhere in the company. The plant manager makes a drive down here from Columbus every day to "prove a point" on a plowed and salted 4 lane highway when the conditions are bad outside and then shames workers for getting stuck at home due to the weather because we live on back roads.

Pros

You'll probably get fired.

Cons

Everything imaginable.

Fun place to work but pay is bad

I enjoyed working there. If the pay was right I would still be there. The managers are great people, as are the fellow employees. I was usually busy which made time go faster. Still the biggest issue was pay and the fact that we had to push the Rural King credit card. It actually a decent card to have but I feel sleezy having to try to talk customers into applying for it.

Pros

Great people

Cons

Pay and being required to try and sell their credit card

They don’t have good management and they don’t clean up the place and they are poor workers should be closed down immediately

They are dirty they don’t pick up and clean up after themselves, their place has mice and dead animals in their aisles I would not want to work here. They have poor management and poor workers who don’t do what they need to do.

Cons

Bad management, bad environment, bad workers.

Pays but wouldn’t recommend

Management - frequently lies, does not care, does not listen, petty, lacks key strengths to properly manage employees, very drama filled environment (like middle school), Most people do not want to be here but need the money and have little other options and they capitalize on this. Don’t expect to enjoy coming to work if you choose the work here. The place is majorly disorganized and upper management won’t give the lower management the information they need to do their jobs. Most of the equipment is outdated and works poorly. Expectations are set high and environment is designed to let you fail. Favoritism is a major staple of the company and how they treat you. Rules are enforced either at random or if they don’t like you. If they don’t like you, they will find any lie they can pass as truth and are never questioned or punished for the lies and rumors they spread. Rarely promotes from within, know to hire people to lower jobs with intent of promoting but doesn’t want to make it look like they never promote from within.

Pros

Pays decent

Cons

Long hours, frequent mandatory overtime, unlikely to promote from within, minimum environment accommodations, disorganized, poor management

boring and meaningless work

Little to no training, then expected to perform at an experienced level. Management showed little to no training themselves so the trend must be at a much higher level

Pros

above minimum wage in certain areas

Cons

no training

Not A Good Company to Work For

Pay is low for what they expect you to do. Management is weak. Training is nonexistent except for some training that is done on-line as a new hire. By the way, the on-line training doesnt help you one bit in performing your job. Job was hectic. Department was under staffed. Management did not ensure employees were given adequate breaks. This was the worst place I ever worked in my 40 years of employment. Stay away.

Pros

5% Employee Discount on Guns

Cons

Pay, Training, Management, etc.

Company does not care about you presonally your easily replaceable

This company is a joke. They do not value their employees. They do not pay people what they are worth. The store is worse than high school and so much drama. They do not discapline their ASM's for their inappropriate behavior. They are understaffed and who they do have working their selves to death are treated unethically.

Pros

15% discount and some good ASM's

Cons

ignornat ASM, very unetheical behavior and poor " stand in store manager"

Racist Management

Poor management. Management gossips amongst themselves and employees.Racist, only one black person, no Hispanics.Poor training. Decent discount and pay.

Decent gun selection for cheaper prices

Working as a gun counter representative was enjoyable. the computer systems were a bit dated and the processes for doing background checks could be expedited working here on holidays was difficult and could have been executed better with more up to date software.

Depends on the store

The people you work with are typically really great but the pay is very low. There are times where you will be understaffed and have to do multiple jobs and then times where you are over staffed and don’t have much of anything you can do.

They don't treat you well unless you run a store

Terrible hours it took me 3 promotions and weeks of training modules to get to 10.50 an hour and once I got the better pay my hours dropped so I didn't actually make any more money. This company fired mtle after I was diagnosed with Chrome's

Pros

Easy to get hired

Cons

You'll be employed here

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rural King. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits