Rush University Medical Center
72Above average

Rush University Medical Center Employee Reviews

United States733 reviews
It was good place to work for. I learned a lot working for Rush. Working there made me a better leader and team builder. As a manager for more than 40 Patient Transporters taught me to be very proficient in scheduling.
Rush has a great culture compared to other hospitals and academic institutions. They value diversity and inclusion, which is rare. But like any institution, management at department levels needs to be improved and accounted for.
Pros
Racially very diverse. Many free events with lunches to attend during lunchtime, which is a nice break during the day
Cons
Management needs more annual training on how to be better
Learned a lot and gained a lot of experience. Rush is a place where you grow with your abilities. Definitely learned a lot of things and gained a lot of confidence
I really like working at Rush and representing such a great company. I recently graduated with my MHA but I am finding it hard to move around in the company. Unfortunately, I might have to leave.
Pros
supporting manager
Cons
hard to move around
I'm disappointed in management and the work environment was stressful. I was able to come to work on time every day because I love what I do but because of the staff especially some of the providers followed with management made it extremely hard to work in. I was trained improperly for the first two months meaning I was hired to work in one department when I was trained by two others that did not work in the department I worked for and when I have finally trained the proper way I was shown by someone that worked in the same department as I that I was doing certain things incorrectly. The provider that I worked with was not patient knowing that it was my first time in the position that I was hired for, very rude, if things were not done her way she was disrespectful and the energy was not good. This provider made it seem as if she was there to help but she was not at all. This provider set me up to fail and intentionally tried her best to get me fired and when I told my manager a week later I was placed with another doctor and after one week of working with that doctor, I went back to working with this same doctor that tried to get me fired. I also was not aware that I was the 5th person to work with this provider. I was let go because I did not room in a timely manner, I was accused by the doctor that I was doing homework and because I did 3 hours of overtime. There is so much to complain about and others also complained about the manager.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
Work environment, rude providers, rude staff
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
only a chosen few succeed. not very diversified, I had harrassment issues that I reported and my concerns were not heard dept retailated by releasing me from my job
Learned that communication & teamwork is the key. The hours were good. Most of the coworkers got along well. It is a very diverse place to workwork work
Pros
It is a teaching hospital
Cons
The price of the parking garage & traffic
Typical day answer phones, check email, clerical work, check in and check out patients. Schedule appointments. Assist physicians with any a needed with patient needs.
Assisting patients with issues and getting claims paid. the most rewarding is helping seniors who has no one to help them resolve their issues. Assisting managers in meeting company goals
wouldn't work anywhere else. great company they really care about their employees and that we know what we are doing when we walk out on that floor...
The culture on the labor and delivery unit is uniquely synergistic among all health disciplines. It is an honor to work such compassionate, smart, and dedicated colleagues every day
Pros
Culture of the unit and co-workers
Cons
extreme fluctuations in daily patient census
They don’t seem to care much about employees. I was always getting called off due to low census but when they needed someone, I was expected to come in on such short notice.
My Review of working overnight shift at Rush is that it’s the worst shift to be on. It’s every person for there self. Overall very stressful when it comes to dealing with not only you’re co workers but other staff in the hospital as well
Pros
It’s a job.
Cons
No pto for a year, Pay is low due to the Union, Stressful, Working every other weekend, Gossiping between not the co workers but also the Supervisor as well, No team work. No communication between supervisor and co workers, Not taking proper precaution doing Covid-19. No sick time or personal time.
Excellent place to work, go to school, and be rewarded for efforts. Rush has a lead by example attitude and is a great place to grow. I would have to say one of the best hospitals I have worked for.
Working at Rush hospital I have learn a lot
But I wish we could be paid a bit more for all the work I do for them But I do enjoy working with the physicians they are very nice if I could find a different department at Rush that would pay more I would probably transfer I considered myself a hard worker and team player
Loved my job, however, some people are not always suitable to oversee other, it takes teamwork to be a successful team/organization. When you know your team , there should not be any question knowing, Whatever it takes to get the job done in a effective manner the team will oversee that it done effectively.
Lots of opportunity.
Salaries were not competitive when I was there- May have changed

Education reimbursement is great

Many nursing committes To give feedback and make changes
Rush is great place to work. Filled with friendly and devoted workers who help each other each day. We are a family who support each other to do an excellent job for patients we serve. I am proud to work in institution that grows everyday and respect employees. The environment is supportive and encouraged professional growth. I been here since I was 22 years old and hope to stay until I retire. I worked as nurse for 15 years and 2 years as NP.
This job was a perfect place to work as a first job. The difficulty level was very low and it had good workplace culture. The management was very skilled and educated in what they were doing, which made my job easier. There was clear expectations on what to do.
A typical day in my practice consists of working with all age groups and different disease process. I work predominantly with the under-served population and in the outpatient setting. The clinic is located in a food desert and many of the people within this community are blue collar. Access to healthcare for this population is a luxury due to the nature of their profession and their inability to miss work.
The patients I see are complex and require close follow up to adequately mange their health. I thrive in these environments and patients often request my care because I take the time to listen and work towards goals within primary and secondary medicine. I love to work at the full capacity of a Nurse Practitioner both in a team environment and independently.
the culture here at rush needs to change. it's super old school and the leadership needs to allow for growth of their employees who have been in the same position for many years.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rush University Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Rush University Medical Center Reviews by Location