Rush University Medical Center Employee Reviews

Stressful environmnent
Nurse Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  1655 west Harrison stApril 14, 2019
No job work/life balance, the expectation is to work until you are finished with assignment. Too busy to take a lunch break. You must be accessible by your personal cell phone
Pros
salary
Cons
stressful environment with no work/life balance
Good work/life balance for my job
Certified Emergency Deparment Coder (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 2, 2019
Am able to work from home 4 days a week. Excellent co workers, good benefits and paid time off. Have added things to our responsiblities that are unlikely to occur which makes it hard to get raises now.
Great Hospital
CMA (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 2, 2019
I like working for Rush due a great experience as a patient and as a family member of a patient. For that reason I found my purpose in life to become a nurse in a near future. It has taken me little over 5 yrs to get hired due to my lack of experience and education. Buy I know my family comes first and will NOT Give up my dreams to be a NURSE very soon. CMA currently.
Pros
Experience and knowledge I have learned
Cons
Bad management (Micromanaging)
Denial Management Representative II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2019
At Rush, I was trained properly to perform my job functions. I learned how important it was to be collaborative with other departments within the university as a whole. The workplace culture was very strong, which lead to retention and growth. There was very good productivity and the morale was always being evaluated to become better and suitable for everyone. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the stress of managers. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to fully understand and do my job to the best of my ability with all resources needed being met and working collaboratively with my coworkers
Pros
work life balance, good pay and good relationships with coworkers, excellent training
Cons
stress from managers
Poor Benefits
Registered Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 25, 2019
Rush is a great organization s a whole. They should reevaluate their benefits. i.e (Health and PTO) It's an education institution so plenty of room for learning but no room for growth
Typical Work Day
Manager of Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 25, 2019
Challenging and different every day. Patient care is a priority, but taken seriously to provide quality and friendly care to all. Every patient is a priority.
Professional Work Environment
Interface Engineer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 15, 2019
In my short time at this position for this hospital i have learned the following, how to configure Bridges interfaces in Epic system. Most of the other HL7 integration projects are standard, ADT, MDM and ORM/ORU projects that were assigned to me. One of the benefits was working with the following systems OnBase, MUSE, 3M 360 and Intersystems HealthShare. Great learning experience.

Thank You.
Pros
Latest technology Epic and learned bridges
Cons
Project management needs some enhancement
Excellent place to work, and develop skills
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 8, 2019
An amazing place to work, with incredible management and staff. The pay was good, benefits were good, and work load was reasonable. I worked as an ACT so the type of work was cleaner and nicer than what I would expect elsewhere.
I enjoyed 13 years with Rush. In 2017 Rush outsourced its maintenance department.
Associate Manager-Projects-JLL (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 6, 2019
Rush is a very patient first facility with high standards and expectations. I worked at Rush for 13 years until my department was outsourced. The company that took over operations retained 80% with the rest retiring out. I enjoyed my time there.
Great!
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 1, 2019
Great place to work. Room for much advancement!! Also co workers are very helpful most times. Management is pretty understanding and accommodating for the most part.
Pros
room for advancement, great co-workers
Cons
burn out working the neuro floors, if your PT you could potentially lose your short and long term disability BENEFITS
Great place to learn
Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2019
typical day would to assess your assignment, prioritize,and then begin with the goal to complete by the end of the day and if enough time plan for the next day
Pros
great learning place
Cons
not so good with work/life balance
Lots of room to grow
Medical Assistant (Hemotology/Oncology) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 24, 2019
having the chance to attend school with the help of your Job is a great perk for advancement in your career. I enjoyed the time i work with the team..
Pros
Team Oriented
Cons
Office Politics
Overall a good hospital to work for
Registered nurse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 13, 2019
Rush provides nurses with many opportunities. Tuition reimbursement was a huge perk if you are planning on continuing education. Sometimes staffing can be short on general medicine units.
For the most part Rush was a positive working environment
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Magnet, ILFebruary 5, 2019
Obviously your happiness on a unit depends on your manager, so that is impossible to control wherever you are. But, I have to say, I've worked at many hospitals and pound-for-pound Rush is the best. Overall the other nurses are great! They work hard, help each other and are reliable. Ongoing training/education is big at Rush. The equipment and technology was pretty impressive.
Pros
Highly competent staff, tuition reimbursement, benefits
Cons
Breaks are rarely covered on units, weak human resources department
Good place to work, needs some improvements
RN 1 (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 4, 2019
Overall good place to work but could use some improvements. The hospitals provides lots of opportunities for nursing development and moving up the clinical ladder.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Support services like the kitchen and Linen departments need work
The environment
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 2, 2019
I really like the environment ,the people and staff I very pleasant and I learned how to productive and to work hard and mind my business throughout the years
Pros
Parking when I had to take me or kids to Dr
Cons
mandatory I dont like being made to stay after my 8 hour shift
It's been a long time.
Inventory Control Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 1, 2019
It has been over 20 years since I have worked there. I can not say one way or another what it is like today. They are a top rated hospital and medical university.
Not "Excellent" in the Laboratory
Laboratory Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 23, 2019
Rush promotes this Excellence slogan. What they fail to achieve is the actual doing part in the Laboratory. Sentinel events, patient safety, collaboration with the hospital, mutual respect, accountability are just a few of the items that are not considered by the Lab as important attributes when delivering quality patient care. One could question the level of quality resulting that Rush outputs. I do not recommend working in the Laboratory system at Rush if you are patient focused, a team player, innovative, compassionate, accountable, respectful or excellent, you will NOT be welcomed. The status quo is the theme, change management is not, the lab is operated by individuals that want things "my way or the highway". This type of behavior will never be Excellent in a patient care setting.
Pros
Cons
read the review
Rush Job was an Internship
Volunteer Services intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2019
I noted on my resume that the job at Rush University Medical Center was an unpaid internship. I did not mean to be deceitful. My work at Rush is my only experience with official employment.
Go
Anesthesiologist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2019
A good place to work. lots of learning. Young people keep you on your toes. Very busy place. over 40000 cases a year. Lots of different techniques...
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rush University Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Rush University Medical Center Reviews by Location