Russell Cellular Employee Reviews

Horrible Company
Wireless Sales Representative / Tech Support (Former Employee) –  KansasFebruary 15, 2019
I am a previous employee of Russell Cellular. I was led to believe this company was going to be a good fit for me, and had incredibly high hopes for the job before starting. I have been in the industry for years (Sales, Customer Service, Tech Support), and this was by far the most disappointing company I ever had the experience working for.

My role at the company was a Wireless Sales Representative. I had applied at a location and shortly received an interview. I interviewed at that location, and before my offical start date was informed that I would actually be working at a different location, about 25 minutes away.

That was frustration number one, and I hadn’t even officially clocked in for my first shift before this news was delivered to me.

I then found out that the District Sales Manager for this district had fired two managers from two locations. Already, you can start to see the trend with the turnover rate. Both managers were with the company for over 3 years. As such, I was tasked with picking up the slack at a location I had no real desire to work for. I thought I’d step up to the plate, and do it anyway. I was hoping that my dedication to the job would at least get some ounce of recognition.

I was disappointed yet again, and the troubles continued from there.

While working, I had phenomenal sales numbers. In a job like this, that’s definitely saying something. You are required to sell a certain amount of phones, tablets, accessories, insurance, and other devices and are scored on a scoreboard accordingly. If you exceed your numbers, you are “recognized”
  more... company wide for your accomplishments.

Sounds great at first, until you exceed those numbers and don’t even receive as much as a thank you. No bonus incentives, no cool Russell Cellular gear, no nothing. But, on the bright side, at least you weren’t fired!

I continually met and exceeded my numbers, thinking that I was doing a good job. I was consistently let down and discouraged from performing my best when I realized just how lackluster it all truley was. Your bonus is reflective on store performance. Meaning if your other co workers are slacking, you lose money too.

The sales are difficult to get. You notice yourself practically lying to customers to make it sound like the product you’re selling is worth it, when in fact it’s all garbage.

Training is all “self paced”, as they don’t actually have a designated curriculum. They literally throw you to the wolves. If I hadn’t had previous experience, I doubt I would have made it very far. My manager had no idea how to train anyone. Personally, during my “training”, I had to go to a store over 45 minutes away because my manager was so pathetically terrible at training, I was surprised she even knew what she was doing.

As an employee, you don’t receive a discount on service unless you’ve been with them for over 6 months (if you make it that far mind you). You receive a meager 25% off on accessories, and a whopping 50% off, if your accessory is under a certain amount. In other words, unless you’re buying a Pop Socket you’re not saving anything worthwhile.

You are required to post on your Facebook, talk to your friends, hand out fliers, and essentially shove all their garbage down everyone’s throats. I was tasked to market at a nearby store, and was harassed in the parking lot for doing so. Passing along this message to management didn’t phase them, as it was still a requirement to subject yourself to that kind of hostility.

The hours are a joke. Typically, a store has 3 employees. Mine had 2. Myself, and a manager. Meaning anytime they called out, I had to be there. I wasn’t given the title of assistant manager, even though it was just the two of us. What a joke.

The company knows its bad. I was personally asked by my District Sales Manager to post a positive review on Indeed to balance out all the ACCURATE, negative ones. That should show you how desperate they are for keeping themselves out of the limelight for the horrible way they treat the employees.

I refused, and shortly after I got terminated for turning up the thermostat. Yes, you read that right. For turning up the thermostat. They knew they couldn’t exit me for my numbers as they were better than my own MANAGERS. But because I wasn’t going to lie to everyone and say it’s butterflies and rainbows here, they terminated me, and didn’t even have the decency to own up to it. They instead pegged me with something absolutely ridiculous.

That’s the kind of thanks you get for going above and beyond expectations, meeting your numbers, and putting the company first. I covered for employees in stores miles away from mine, I sacrificed my free time to work around my managers ever changing schedule, I met and exceeded all my numbers, I made people smile, had long lasting relationships with customers, and proved my value as an employee time and time again.

All for nothing.

I do not recommend this company. Not until they step up to the plate. Working here has made me despise the Wireless Sales industry all together. If you have any ounce of sanity, never consider this company. Instead, work for a competitor. Chances are they’ll treat you light years better.
Pros
Cons
Literally. Everything.
Awful
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cortland, OHJanuary 31, 2019
I cannot express enough as to how horrible this company is. It’s seemed like they have a pattern in this company which is to get rid of whoever has been there the longest. Training is horrible. They say they will only exit people who have ‘x’ amount of write ups but they will randomly come in an fire you on the spot.

I was a manager for this company. I was told another employee at my location was going to be fired. They had no intentions on informoing the employee until the day of. I, being the manager, tried to give the emoyee a heads up that they planned to let him go on a Monday. Monday came and he did the DSM never showed up to let him go. Instead several days later that same DSM came in and let ME go instead. He said he planned on firing the other employee next month to then bring me back in at a lower position. When I asked why me, he stated that I did not ‘hand out enough write ups’ yet I had never been WRITTEN up for not giving enough write ups. Not only was it completely unprofessional it made absolutely no logical sense.

This company is terrible and I would NEVER recommend ANYONE to work here.
Pros
Lol
Cons
All of it.
Run ...run the other way
Wsr (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 25, 2019
Do not work in the so cal region . Not worth the time. I honestly believe people are forced to write positive reviews about this wack place of an employer. Everyone except the puppets hate the job. Unbelievable how bad this place is . Worst experience ever unless you like being a puppet or
Cons
Horrible training, horrible experience, makes you hate wireless sales
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 24, 2019
So where to begin. I had high expectations when I was hired on for this job but quickly realized that I made the wrong decisions. They would train you but it was more of a "figure it out on your own" approach. Manager would be "surprised" that you show up because I guess people have quit before (smart decision) you have to sell ALOT which is a good goal to have but also the commission is low you the goals are set so high it's hard to reach especially if they are cutthroat. Oh and speaking of that, it's the worst. You'll be talking to a customer at the desk and someone who you think is "helping you" but in reality they are selling a tablet thinking they are helping you sell then make you put the sale in their name while YOU set it up for them, yep talk about a great "team" environment! It's shady and quite frankly makes you look desperate for a little bit of money just to make a sale and it shows just how pathetic you are. Breaks are fine but they are short. You have to go and market businesses and homes. People I worked with are the worst, make you feel dumb and not belong on the team like you're beneath them. This company is all about making the "team" better but in reality they only care for themselves and not even try to make you better. When you do voice your concerns to managment, that also gets ignored. This is the worst authorized retailer Verizon has and it's a joke that they really think they have the best interest for the products and also they complain about every customer that comes in like they're better than them and talk down about them. I know it is tough to  more... get on at a corporate store but you're better off doing that. This company is fake and a joke to work for and it took my love for wireless sales away and made me hate the business. If you want to work there then by all means do it. But me personally I wouldn't even take the chance. Managment only cares about themselves and numbers. Good luck with getting time off because that won't happen and integrity is nonexistent because they have none. I wouldn't recommend this job to no one. PLEASE STAY AWAY!!!  less
Pros
Cons
Cutthroat and bad management
Worst Verizon Retailer Ever
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  WisconsinJanuary 22, 2019
Anyone notice the good reviews all came on the same few days?

I recommend Walmart or licking the street over Russell Cellular. They don’t care about you or any other employees.

Ask them to break down how they pay commission. You need a degree to understand it, even upper management can’t.

Go ANYWHERE ELSE!!!

It’s legit the worst company ever, caring more about the wine they make then the people.

Go to any other Verizon retailer over these. Verizon should shut them down. They need to sell off to someone who knows how to run a company and focus on making wine
Pros
Absolutely nothing
Cons
The entire company.
What a joke
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 21, 2019
This place is a joke pay is horrible and the management is horrible. Do not apply they want associate degree and pay 19 per hour lmao what a joke this place is
Cons
Not a great place to work at all I do not recommend this place
Wireless specialist (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJanuary 19, 2019
It's been complete drama since I started I didn't have a manager to help me in the 1st months I was there doing my Training I was completely lost fall way behind It is getting a little better not by much I am trying to tough it out until after the holidays if I can but if I do not set making more money I am going to have to find another job the pay is not enough
Pros
They have worked with me on my hours, since I was in the process of relocating for this position, that was a plus.
Cons
Too much drama in the workplace, very cut throat other employees, goals are way too high to reach, not enough customers.
mostly ok
IT Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Battlefield, MOJanuary 15, 2019
The job itself was fantastic. I enjoyed it. Most of the people that worked there were really great as well. However, when the time came to look at advancement, newer people were picked over seasoned veterans and if you had an issue, management wasn't there for you.
Overworked and under appreciated
Salaried Store Manager (Former Employee) –  OklahomaJanuary 9, 2019
I worked for RC for a year. At first, I loved the company. They had a great mission (OVT!) and always kept the competition friendly and fun. However, as time went on I started to expierence a lot of different things from upper management. Each month my DSM would set expectations that were way beyond the company’s expectations - if these expectations were not met by end of month the guilt trip was almost unbearable. As a SSTM I was expected to put in 50+ hours a week at my location and anything less was “a complete lack of dedication to my store.” It wasn’t much longer before I was asked to put RC above my family and all other things in my life. For awhile, I did that because I respected my position and my job role. However, after completing 4 straight months in the companies top 20 being severely over worked and under staffed, I was approached by my DSM and told, “These top 20 finishes are unacceptable, this is a top 5 store.” At that moment I realized why no one ever stays with RC. There is NO job security in ANY position regardless of how well you do.

Run, as fast as you can from this company. Don’t let it consume you like it did me.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Management, expectations, turn over
Love my job here
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  MissouriJanuary 3, 2019
I love working here. I have been here for 6+ years, and now am a District Sales Manager. I worked my way from a sales rep, assistant manager, to having multiple stores. I have a great work life balance and I really enjoy the money I make to provide for my family. I couldn’t ask for better peers who are so supportive. Most importantly I have an awesome ADOS and RSM who are always there to guide you the right direction everyday. You can just call and they will always answer. We also have so many awesome incentives to make money, we offer bonus money, free lunches for contests. this is a family based company. I plan to further grow my career here.
Very good culture
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 3, 2019
The company has very strong structure and have alot of stuff figured out. Just follow the guidelines and do your job you will get there! Pay is dependent on your performance
Pros
Promotion from within
Cons
Opportunity Value Team. This is not just a job, it's a family and lifestyle!
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  MissouriJanuary 3, 2019
Working at Russell Cellular I have been given opportunities to learn and grow and invest in others beyond what I imagined. The company has invested in me and my growth so I can be a better leader. I started with the company as a store manager and have worked my way up to a district sales manager. There is more to this job than the hourly pay! You have the potential to make as much as you want with the commission model in place. And for those who are willing & coachable this may be a career future for you!
Pros
Great environment
Productive, fun work enviroment
DSM (Current Employee) –  OklahomaJanuary 3, 2019
Best part of working with RC is the family atmosphere, and opportunity for advancement.

RC truly cares about the people in our lives, and continues to develop in the business
Pros
opprotunity to make my own paycheck, and advancement
Cons
short breaks
Love the culture, love the passion and the opportunities!
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma/ Arkansas AreaJanuary 3, 2019
I started as a Wireless Specialist and promoted to District sales manage. If your looking for a company who cares about you, the community and families (apply). The company has a wonderful culture of leading in a positive way , but you must take what you learn and apply it as a wireless Rep, store manager or District manager. I have the opportunity everyday to help people be better in life and work.
Pros
Healthcare, 401k, Work car, Discounts cellular bill, travel opportunitie, competitive environment, recognition accomplish/ milestones.
Cons
If you can’t work retail hours then this job isn’t for you.
Poor management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hobbs, NMJanuary 1, 2019
Was hired on with company as a assistant manager, Manager that was supposed to be training me was just rude didn’t teach me anything at all, Also a new girl had just started on my second day and manager did not even acknowledge her or bother to train her the new girl went to lunch and never came back which I don't blame her!
Cons
Very poor management & pay
An amazing company to work for!
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 1, 2019
I have been presented with so much opportunity in my journey with this company. I love coming to work daily and I have a great team. If you work hard and show initiative the possibilities for advancement are endless.
Pros
Culture, Leadership development, Community involvement
Cons
A very hard place to work.
HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Battlefield, MOJanuary 1, 2019
Management only favors those who violate the policy manual, and who the owners know to be there friends out side the work place. If you don’t fit in with certain coworkers they fire you and it doesn’t matter how well you do your job.
They let one person, who’s not management, determine how to the run the department and run all over management to get there way including getting other coworkers fired.
Truth be told if you like being bullied and threatened then this is the place to work for you.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Richlands, VADecember 30, 2018
The District manager was one of the best managers I have ever worked for. I left Russell cellular for a higher paying job but it was difficult to leave with a great district manager. He showed me a lot about the business and was a great teacher.
lots in but not a lot out
Wireless Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VADecember 26, 2018
Working for RC can be confusing with its multiple ups and downs. Upper management doesn't lead correctly and can be hard to work with and they really only focus on numbers. I enjoy sales a lot but don't feel the payout is worth it in the end.
not worth the time
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  ArkansasDecember 22, 2018
this place is a joke, they fire people for no reason, always threaten your job if you don't meet sales. Upper management was a joke, they wouldn't help for anything. Calling corporate, you got nothing but rude people that would speak to you like dogs. You are just a number to the company, and they let you know that. They will replace you in a heartbeat. Pretty sad especially since I had been employed there when the company was small and watched and helped it grow to what it is now. Also during Christmas and thanksgiving, you work 50+ hours in the week, get 8 paid hours taken away from your check for it to be replaced with "holiday pay" so, while hourly employees get extra money on their check for the TWO holidays they pay for, Salaried employees DO NOT get the extra money. Their checks stay the same no matter holiday pay or not.
Pros
50% discount on verizon phone bill
Cons
Everything about working there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Russell Cellular. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9