Rutgers University Employee Reviews

Found 996 reviews matching the search See all 1,000 reviews
Too Political
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Township of Galloway, NJFebruary 14, 2019
Wages are low, workplace politics are a reality there, managers are just there because its "job". Did not have great experience and it was remiscent of high school with "cliques" and "gossip".
Stressful graduate program
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJFebruary 13, 2019
I shouldn't be forced to submit this review, since my experience is in no way generalizable. I was a graduate student, and my specific experience there was stressful.
Poor leadership
Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJFebruary 13, 2019
I worked with 4 other supervisors and we work well together but the problem is that the faculty, staff and students are all looking for change and the director just wants to go back to work in New Brunswick. I work at the Camden Campus!
benefits
Cons
no growth potential
One of the best places to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJFebruary 9, 2019
I feel like I grew up here. Besides the fact that this is my alma mater, the workers here, for the most part, really take care of their students and each other. I enjoyed learning and growing and always having access to career advancement and leadership opportunities.
Pros
Great staff; college environment
Cons
college environment as you get older
Too many employees
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJFebruary 7, 2019
They employ any student that asks for a job - but this is a good thing! The drawback is that sometimes there's just so little to do because of it! For student work, management and workplace culture is pretty involved, or at least they try. Since it's at a university, your hours are built around your class schedule, not the other way around, so no worries. Easy way to pick up additional hours if you want to work multiple jobs as well.
n/a
Principal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 29, 2019
The culture in the department I work is not the best representation of the entire campus. I work in a safe environment with a group of talented individuals.
Temporary
Clinical Instructor/Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJanuary 28, 2019
Supervised nursing students. Stressful at times, depending on the student. Students are top in academics but some are lacking in people skills. This is seen a lot in academic areas where grades are counted as more important than empathy and people smarts.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Good
Utilities,construction, warehouse experience. (Former Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 28, 2019
I was dispatched and subbed for work at Rutgers, but I wasn't a Rutgers State employee so most of these questions absolutely do not certain to me. For the department I worked for was a bit toxic. People of different trades. Lots of backstabbing and passing the buck on blaming.
Pros
No comment
Cons
No comment
Great culture, difficult management
Senior Program Administrator (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJanuary 26, 2019
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with fantastic students and being able to mentor them and advance their education. Coworkers were fantastic - friendly, competent, and intelligent.

Management, especially changes to higher levels of the administration, made things more difficult by changing plans and undercutting authority. The transition to cornerstone and going through Procurement made the job much more difficult than it needed to be.
Pros
flexible schedule, improving students' education
Cons
lack of authority
Student not worker here
Student (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 25, 2019
I am a student not a worker in Rutgers University. The Bootcamp course is pretty good but the administrative is not that great. The instructors are good or excellent and TA Charlie is excellent, which are the only reasons I would recommend.
Summer Job
Photography Assistant (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJanuary 22, 2019
Though it was only a summer job it was very rewarding. Management was kind and, though there was a hierarchy in place, they didn't treat you as if you were beneath them.
So Much Potential
Lecturer (part-time) (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJanuary 17, 2019
There are so many wonderful people that work across Rutgers University. These are the reason to work here. There are many systemic problems that plague faculty and administration that make career growth nearly impossible for some people.
Productive work space and positive energy and coworkers
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJanuary 13, 2019
It’s a great place to work the staff are warming and welcoming when you start and they start to become family as time goes on I love it everyone always in courage’s one another
It was fun and life learning.
Summer J (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 12, 2019
Basically at the job we did work sheets and assignments, but at the same time we were learning things and having hands-on experiences. We got paid good and went on trips at the end of each week on Fridays.
Pros
Free lunch, breakfast, and supplies
Cons
Some of the trips were kinda risky and tiring
Great Place to Work
Development Writer - staff and freelance (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJanuary 10, 2019
I worked as a development writer for the Rutgers University Foundation, and continue to work in a freelance capacity. The work flexiblity has improved since I left, but there is plenty of room for advancement. I feel like once you are hired, the opportunities are limitless--at least at the foundation. The salaries are good, and the benefits are great.
combined teaching and research was very exciting
Visiting Professor (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJJanuary 9, 2019
I liked working at Rutgers university; my colleagues were well informed and had great expertise and collaborative spirits. Students were intelligent and a joy to work with.
Pros
great environment
Rutgers Recreation
Aquatics (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJanuary 7, 2019
Horrible workplace full time management is uncaring and builles there part time subordinates. Hours are not flexible and full time staff member make it a toxic environment.
Workplace Culture
Social Work - Interim Lecturer (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJanuary 7, 2019
Busch will look a lot more awesome once they complete construction on the new Engineering, Pharmacy and Chemistry buildings.
A typical Day
Workplace Culture
Ignored racism and discrimination complaints
Instructor/ epidemiologist (Former Employee) –  NJDOHJanuary 5, 2019
Specifically regards to the epidemiologist/ instructor position with NJDOH- many employees resigned as a result of ignored complaints regarding racism; discrimination and bullying. The work place environment continues to encourage a toxic environment that encourages such egregious behavior. No accountability regardless of numerous complaints and going through the ‘proper channels’ by several employees subjected to the abusive environment.
Benefits
Cons
Racism; discrimination; bullying
Adjunct Faculty Instructor
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 5, 2019
University offers a wide variety of opportunities for instructors. Once hired as an adjunct, this could open the door for a full-time or benefitted position.
Pros
Work as needed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rutgers University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss