Rutgers University Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
overall great
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJuly 16, 2018
overall this a great academic organization that offers entrepreneurial opportunities for employees to venture into broader roles and responsibilities. There are inherent challenges here as in any organization but overall a great place to work.
Nice environment, but little room to advance.
Head Soils & Plants Technician (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJuly 7, 2018
Rutgers has gone far above and beyond in terms of work/life balance, PTO, & much more. Perfect place for someone to get experience in a new field, for a working mother, or to wind down a career. You will learn every day, if you want to.

However, you are expected to fit in your pigeonhole for 20-30 years, and most people here do exactly that. Be absolutely certain your career goals match this expectation.

Since there are so many things Rutgers does, there is no "typical day at work". If you're interviewed, do lots of your own research on the department, and ask lots of questions at the interview! There are profound cultural differences between units.
Benefits
Cons
Same as any government job
Independent Research Project (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJuly 5, 2018
Not sure why I am being asked to review where i did my research. I don't know much about rutgers beside the people I worked with. I recommend it for research anyway
Great Work Environment
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJuly 4, 2018
Relationship among different employees are great. Great team environment. Great health and retirement benefits. Access to seminars to help advance career and personal improvement (i.e. financial and retirement seminars.
Pros
Tuition Remission
Cons
Upward Mobility is limited
Great work environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJuly 1, 2018
My employer made me feel more than welcome and capable at all times. I have had nothing but amazing experiences with the University, and would highly recommend it as an employment opportunity.
College Job
Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJune 27, 2018
It was a great job and paid good. I got to meet and make lots of new friends. The work environment was casual and friendly. The work was pretty simple and energetic
Workplace was enjoyable and professional
Building Manager (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 27, 2018
It is a great experience for college students and young adults. The people you work with are amazing and the clients come in a variety. Apply to Rutgers for flexible schedules.
Good experience
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  NJJune 25, 2018
highly-motivated. Not only will you bring your own skills to the table, but are willing to learn new skills. Excel and analytical skills a must to succeed in this technically advance purchasing environment.
Pros
flexible
Cons
flexible
Great University
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJune 23, 2018
Rutgers is an excellent university. I am very thankful to have obtained a high quality education from Rutgers without going into extreme debt. Professors are very approachable and willing to help.
Pros
great teachers and research opportunities
Cons
class size
amazing work place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJune 22, 2018
I worked as a research assistant but it was a volunteer opportunity. I truly enjoyed it and learned a lot. It helped me develop my senior thesis. I was able to obtain research to back up my own search that I was working on separately from lab. I can honestly say that it was a great experience.
Pros
opportunity to learn
Cons
breaks
Good place to work while you study at rutgers.
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJune 13, 2018
I was given a job through the work study program in my university. The job is simple but requires attention and the oppertunity for advancement is non-existent.
Pros
Accommodating schedule
Cons
Locked into part time hours
Nice to be a Phd Student at Rutgers
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJune 13, 2018
Regular PhD student life,
Very low salary to make sure that you just survive,
Exciting lab works
Everyday offers unique experiences with lots of ups and downs
research assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJune 11, 2018
I have been working at Rutgers University part-time

Pros

A lot of flexibility and everyone is understanding and very nice

Cons

Sometimes there is a lot of miscommunication or last minute popups
Great
Department Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJune 8, 2018
This was a pretty easy job, responsibilities were on a day to day basis. Since I was a student at the time as well, it was a good part time job to have. I was able to balance work and school.
Did not work but conducted research for the Waksman Insitute
Researcher (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJJune 6, 2018
Did not necessarily work but in AP Biology we conducted research for the biotechnology department at Rutgers University in our own classroom with the laptop. We analyzed DNA sequences of Landoltia Punctata and learned about the role genes play in the plant. Overall, the experience was very informative.
What I learned
Administrative Coordinator of HR Special Projects (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJune 1, 2018
I learned to take any project and it was given to me without micromanagement. I appreciated the trust and thrived in an environment that valued my work.
Productive and Fun
Scarlet Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJMay 31, 2018
As a scarlet ambassador I learned a lot about the campus and the programs offered at Rutgers University. I went through training and learned how to work in an office environment. Our supervisors were always fair and kind to us. The guidelines that were given to me at first day of work were straight forward and easy to follow.
A wonderful learning environment
Academic Advisors Assistant (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJMay 31, 2018
working at Rutgers University was stressful but at the same time worth the stress. I enjoyed my co-workers and if my contract had not ended I do believe I would still be there. I learned so much about my self and what it is that I really want to do.
Pros
Free gear
Interactive workplace
Laboratory Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJMay 21, 2018
Working for Rutgers was a great opportunity because it opened up many doors for me in terms of research. The staff were friendly and accommodating. I would work for them again.
If you are a student, you can survive here...
Corner Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Camden Campus CenterMay 21, 2018
If you want meaningful work, keep looking...this is a job for an extra $100 in your pocket every week...I was not allowed to have another campus job with this job and the pay was not good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rutgers University. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight