Rutter's Employee Reviews

Fast paced and lively environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  York, PAJune 13, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of ringing up customers, helping customers carry bags to their cars (if needed), and working in a team environment. Working at Rutters is exactly what you’d expect while working at a gas station.
Pros
Free fountain drinks.
Cons
Corporate is terrible.
Horrible company to work for
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waynesboro, PAJune 13, 2018
Horrible management. Store manager yells at employees on store floor and in front of customers. Roaches seen crawling under fountain and coffee area. Floors absolutely disgusting. Needles have been found multiple times in the toilets and baby stations.
Managers expect you to work if any one calls off and manager will NOT cover any shifts. If you dont do as manager wants she will purposely harass you. Restaurant manager isnt any better... will not take care of issues. Both restaurant manager and assistant restaurant manager rather be outside smoking constantly. Rutters is absolutely disgraceful with how they run a "business". Do NOT work at rutters.
Pros
Free coffee and fountain drinks
Cons
No breaks. Either work your life away or no hours at all. Horrible management.
the money was good
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  York, PAJune 11, 2018
The money was very good to work in a gas station, but as a manager you are on call 24/7. It's very hard not to take your work home with you. You could end up working 80 hour work weeks depending on how short staffed you are, or be called in to work a shift if someone calls out on your only day off for weeks. Nobody even bats an eye. They are a 24/7 store, so working during all holidays is mandatory, (most are paid time and a half or double time) but more importantly, they will not shut down in severely unsafe weather conditions. I actually crashed my vehicle trying to get to my store because they wouldn't close in a state of emergency level snow storm.... I only stayed as long as I did for the money to pay my bills.
Pros
good money
Cons
never got a "break" away from the store. on call 24/7
It was a fun place to work till new management took over
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PAMay 25, 2018
manager now is to strict. nothing gets done most of the business has gone elsewhere because the other manager is no longer there. most of the original employees are gone as well.
its ok
Cashier (Former Employee) –  wrightsville,paMay 22, 2018
Could not get more work hours when needed,no insurance,and no real breaks,however you get to know some truly great coworkers,and some really nice customers,some bad ones too.Management will take credit for your ideas watch your back
Pros
flexibility
Cons
no insurance
Fun and fast paced
Store M (Current Employee) –  York, PAApril 30, 2018
Easy job, didn't dread going. Gets stressful when you have to cover shifts and end up work 70+ hours a week with no days off. Plenty of opportunities to move up in the store with great benefits and plenty of PTO.
Pros
Free drinks at work, good benefits to full time employees
Cons
Exhausting, no free meals when working around food all day
Fast paced work with lots of cleaning
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Mercersburg, PAApril 18, 2018
I learned that every shift has its own work that needs to be done. Second shift is very stressful and blamed for a lot of things. Other members are very enjoyable but not all deal with problems the same way. The hardest part of the second shift is getting everything done, such as cleaning fryers and not having enough people to do orders when there is a rush.
Low income no benefits
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PAApril 11, 2018
One of the worst places I have ever worked. Poor training, up-tight management, lack of supervision to follow rules. If anything goes wrong within the company they find a patsy to pin anything they can on and try to coaerse people into admitting fault when there isn't any.
Productive and good workplace
Retail/ Food Service (Former Employee) –  Strasburg, PAMarch 19, 2018
Easy job, as long as you get all of your assigned "chores" done you are considered a good employee. If slacking off at Strasburg store you could receive immature responses from store manager or she could be professional until you slack off too often or just catch her on a bad day
Pros
Relaxed on 3rd shift, nice customers, good work environment
Cons
No discounts, strict manager, some creepy customers
My store was hectic but the company is decent
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Strinestown, PAFebruary 25, 2018
A bit hectic but as a company a great job. Would recommend to someone who likes fast pace jobs that always keep you on your toes. The managment has been slacking in their department but if that is all fixed it should be a good job.
Pros
Plenty of hours, flexible hours, FUN staff, clean enviorment.
Cons
Short/no breaks, petty enviorment, drama
Fast-paced environment with opportunities of advancement.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Red Lion, PAFebruary 17, 2018
Fast paced, advancement opportunities. Loved talking with the regular customers every day. Always had something to do. Consistently learned new things.
fast paced, can be enjoyable
Store Associate, Deli (Current Employee) –  Mountville, PAJanuary 29, 2018
With almost 5 years with this company I've seen all sides of the industry, excellent place of employment with the right management. The business model needs some work but they're on pace with success.
Great Job to start
Deli Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  2125 Susquehanna Trail, York, PA 17404January 11, 2018
Great job to have during college. Leaving highschool, you don't have many options other than going full force into the job scene or getting a part time job with flexible hours while attending college. This job is great for students who want to make more than minimum and also have the flexibility to maintain school.
Fast paced work place
cross-trained associate (Former Employee) –  Stewartstown, PADecember 1, 2017
this is a fast place work place which is fun and easy unless you work on the food serviced side. it is absolutely stressful and makes you want to quit every few days because the management is very passive aggressive and doesn't know when someone needs help and they work you to death.
Pros
meet new people
Cons
no breaks, passive agressive management, no benefits
Productive Workplace
FOOD SERVICE MEMBER (Current Employee) –  ducansville, paNovember 28, 2017
Rutter's is a very productive workplace with plenty tasks to get done throughout your work day. Awesome crew to work with and there are many advancement opportunities.
Easy fast paced job with a friendly environment.
Resturant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lewisberry, PAOctober 2, 2017
Usually busy, constantly moving doing temps and prep work, delegating employees, ordering, and inventory. Learned how to handle disgruntled employees.
Pros
Free fountain beverages
Cons
Lack of communication within corporate personnel.
Good for College Students
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  York, PASeptember 22, 2017
I loved working for Rutter's Farm Stored and they let me work as much as I wanted . I actually bought a computer the week after working 80 hours the previous week. They are very flexible.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
The con with this job is sometimes you get a lazy worker.
Rutter's is a great company to work for!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  York, PASeptember 20, 2017
I started working here as a part time team member and worked my way to Store Manager. The opportunities are endless and I'd highly recommend working here for anyone who's willing to put in the hard work, because it does not go unnoticed.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Short Breaks
Rutter's is a great company to work for!
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  York, PASeptember 20, 2017
I started working here as a part time team member and worked my way to restaurant manager. The opportunities are endless and I'd highly recommend working here for anyone who's willing to put in the hard work, because it does not go unnoticed.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
no breaks
its a good college job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  York, PASeptember 19, 2017
Working here while I was in college was a great job for me. They was very understanding. They work around my school schedule. LL you can drink for free with your rutters cup.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
who knows

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Rutter's. Our community is ready to answer.